HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg (Officially Now The Winnipeg Jets Again)

Old
05-20-2011, 01:24 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
"With the 7th pick in the 2011 NHL Draft the Winnipeg Thrashjets select....................."

Then the prospect they select immediately retires

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Seriously. Though I have a hard time sympathizing for millionaire pro athletes.
To be fair Byfuglien seemed pretty happy to sign longterm in Atlanta and talked about the possibility of growing game withing Africian American community in Atlanta

So yeah you should have some sympathy for Buff given what he thought he was going to help create by longterm playing in Atlanta

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:43 AM
KingLB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I feel bad for the loyal Thrasher fans out there.

As stated above, I'm not really sure why the NHL bends over backward to try and save the Coyotes yet they are more then willing to move the Thrashers. Very odd.

In the grand scheme they are just moving chess pieces around a rotting chess board. There are just too many teams in markets that can't/wont support them. Contraction is what needs to happen, but thats the ultimate taboo
This is so wrong and a completely terrible idea for the NHL on so many different levels.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:57 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
The MTS Centre only holds 15,000 for hockey.

Atleast they'll sell the place out
True North (the parent company that owns the MTS Centre) has said they will expand the arena if an NHL team comes in as a tenant and from what I recall, there is the ability to expand the arena by 2,000 to 3,000 seats. The province has also pledged support to True North in terms of helping to offset arena upgrade costs and assist with debt payments for the existing debt on the arena to help free up money for the team.

Btw guys, Winnipeg isn't some igloo-ridden wasteland. Winters can be cold, yes, but it's rather disappointing to see some posters belittle Winnipeg in here. This is a big day for us, and we have waited a long time to get a team back, a team which was well supported before it even left. The team played one more year in Winnipeg on the backs of fans who literally emptied their back accounts and piggy banks just to pay to keep the club. Can't we part the negative comments until after we have sobered up from what will be one heckuva party?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
It's tough to do, but have you ever been to Winnipeg?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 1527
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ipeg-move.html

Sounds like they are just arguing over the relocation fee... Looks like a done deal. Very fascinating. I would assume they would change the name to the jets even though it isn't the same franchise. I wouldn't mind it, as the Jets were one of my most liked teams growing up. I wonder about the division implications this will have. This could be a very exciting offseason.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:54 AM
santiclaws

I sure hope they keep the Jets colors. Those jerseys were great.

On an unrelated note, one of the hardest hits I ever witnessed was Dave Taylor laying out some poor Jet. I was sitting in the upper reaches of the colonnade and you could clearly hear the hit - and it was an open ice hit, not into the boards. Took a while for them to scrape the guy off the ice.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ipeg-move.html

Sounds like they are just arguing over the relocation fee... Looks like a done deal. Very fascinating. I would assume they would change the name to the jets even though it isn't the same franchise. I wouldn't mind it, as the Jets were one of my most liked teams growing up. I wonder about the division implications this will have. This could be a very exciting offseason.
There seems to be dispute over Jets name/Trademark

Coyotes claim it while others say it is owned by NHL exclusively.

Also the guys buying the Thrashers apparantly want something stupid involving Manitoba in name

Some have suggested Manitoba Moose (There AHL team name) would become there NHL team name which to me would be

Los Angles Kings vs Manitoba Moose ,,,,,,, Yeah that will work out real well

Old
05-20-2011, 03:29 AM
johnjm22

If the Canadian dollar wasn't stronger than than the greenback, I wonder if the NHL would be trying harder to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta.

That 3.5 adds up.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:56 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Awesome the Winnipeg got a team. Really happy for the fans there and I'll definitely be watching them every chance I get.

Going to be one hell of a party in Winnipeg

kingsfan: You're not leaving us, are you?

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Running bets on how many seasons before Winnipeg fans stop showing up to games and the Thrashers are moved again?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
ScoreZeGoals
I'm bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
There seems to be dispute over Jets name/Trademark

Coyotes claim it while others say it is owned by NHL exclusively.

Also the guys buying the Thrashers apparantly want something stupid involving Manitoba in name

Some have suggested Manitoba Moose (There AHL team name) would become there NHL team name which to me would be

Los Angles Kings vs Manitoba Moose ,,,,,,, Yeah that will work out real well
If they go back as anything other then the Winnipeg Jets it will be a shame. The Manitoba Moose is just an AWFUL NHL name.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Running bets on how many seasons before Winnipeg fans stop showing up to games and the Thrashers are moved again?
you know the team was well supported before they were moved to Phoenix right?

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:46 AM
null33

That RIM dude sure looks silly, now.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Capn Brown

I just think it's funny that, not since about 80 or 90 years ago have Seattle had a major league hockey team. What is it about the American Pacific Northwest that the NHL is afraid of? Sasquatch?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:23 AM
MollerManor

I hope they go back to the name Winnipeg Jets and Teemu signs and plays his final season there.

Nostalgic for me, and beneficial for the Kings.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I just think it's funny that, not since about 80 or 90 years ago have Seattle had a major league hockey team. What is it about the American Pacific Northwest that the NHL is afraid of? Sasquatch?
NHL showed interest in Seattle but city and former Sonics owner rebuffed them in early 90's and redesigned the Key Arena to make hockey impossible intentionally

And no one has ever stepped up to purchase a team to move to Seattle + Now the Key Arena is outdated dump designed against hockey and there will be no new arena built anytime soon

Paul Allen flirted with Pens in Portland but his interest in hockey has been lukewarm and since he owns the Rose Garden in Portland if he isn't on board then it wont happen

Old
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
It's tough to do, but have you ever been to Winnipeg?
Actually, yea. So I know what your getting at.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Handzus is going to look great in a Jets jersey.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
you know the team was well supported before they were moved to Phoenix right?
Depends on your definition of well supported.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:05 PM
killermiller
Kings/Jets fan

Another Winnipeg Kings fan here with my opinion.

The Jets moved not because lack of interest, but cause the canadian dollar then was horrible and the Jets had a subpar arena with a lack of ownership. We already had hundreds of people flood downtown Winnipeg when that article was published. People here are hockey crazy.

Winnipeg itself is a beautiful city, with it's problem areas (what city doesn't). In particular our "native" problem (hate to say it but stereotypes are true), though downtown has got a lot better in later years. I don't feel unsafe being downtown anymore at night. The city itself is growing and improving every year and the stereotypes of Winnipeg are just mental.

Our summers are really nice, and there are only a few months of winter (which can get pretty cold but it's not even that bad.), so Ilya Bryzgolov can suck it. Plus we have my favorite microbrewery here in Fort Garry.

All that being said, i'll still be rooting for my Kings when they play, nothing will ever change that

killermiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:19 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I actually don't mind Atlanta as a market.
... I do. It sucked.

2010-11 attendance: 81.4% of capacity (tied for last in the NHL)
2009-10 attendance: 82.9% of capacity (29th)
2008-09 attendance: 85.8% of capacity (last)
2007-08 attendance: 88.3% of capacity (tied for 25th)
2006-07 attendance: 88.9% of capacity (21st)

The NHL never should have went back there. Once the novelty wore off, they had nothing. At least Winnipeg loves hockey and will support it consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I thought Nashville was bizarre but look at what's happened there.
... Yep, why don't we do just that. Let's look at what has happened there.

Starting in 2006-07, they've been 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, and 19th in the NHL in attendance. Not too impressive if you ask me.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Yep, why don't we do just that. Let's look at what has happened there.

Starting in 2006-07, they've been 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, and 19th in the NHL in attendance. Not too impressive if you ask me.
You're right, growing attendance for a team that's only 12 years old is bad . . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
Another Winnipeg Kings fan here with my opinion.

The Jets moved not because lack of interest, but cause the canadian dollar then was horrible and the Jets had a subpar arena with a lack of ownership. We already had hundreds of people flood downtown Winnipeg when that article was published. People here are hockey crazy.
Lack of ownership being the key. Bettman has said (and it's one of the few things I believe that has come out of his mouth) that no team would be relocated if ownership weren't an issue. Winnipeg at the time could not find an owner, hence they were moved.

The same thing is happening with the Thrashers. The Thrashers would still be in Atlanta if they had an owner willing to keep the team there.

Phoenix is a unique situation because the NHL was forced to purchase the team to protect their interests due to legal issues and the city of Glendale has a financial stake involved - neither of which apply to the Thrashers.

At the end of the day, so long as the teams with NHL clubs have ownership willing to spend the money to support the team in that city, there will never be a club move involved. The NHL's mistake was not having sound ownership in Atlanta from the beginning. Their ownership requirements weren't as stringent at the time and they're paying an embarrassing price for it today.

As far as cities - Hamilton would have been a better city for an NHL team to land in than Winnipeg. I'm happy for Winnipeg residents that Winnipeg has a team again, but if I were to rank desirable destinations for NHL teams in Canada - Hamilton would be ahead of Winnipeg.

- T

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
95-96 Jets had 23 year old Keith Tkachuk, 25 year old Teemu Selanne (traded to Anaheim), 24 year old Alex Zhamnov, 27 year old Teppo Numminen, 18 year old Shane Doan and 22 year old Nikolai Khabibulin among others. That core with Teemu could have been a dynasty.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote