HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Could this new arena someday house an AHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2011, 04:58 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Could this new arena someday house an AHL team?

I'm not asking whether the city will support a team, just if this arena would. This is near my hometown and they are building a new downtown arena for basketball and their hockey team. I think right now the team is in the IHL, not 100% sure. But if the support comes, could this venue and town attract an AHL caliber team or is this area too small? City population around 117k, metro around 350k.

http://www.evansvillearenaproject.com/content/photos

Last edited by kypredsfan: 05-20-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old
05-20-2011, 05:36 AM
billycanuck

Would this city happen to be Evansville, Indiana? Home to the Evansville Icemen? They are part of the Central Hockey League.

I don't think Evansville is too small for a AHL franchise, and the new rink they are building is certainly a decent size (websites says around 11,000 capacity for basketball).

I am sure it could work with an AHL franchise. Frankly I still can't understand why the CHL accepted the Icemen when they have been playing out of Swonder. Also, what is with their website? Looks like a high school project, actually I have seen better high school websites than that....looks like a elementary school project.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Unfortunately there are a lot of cities out there that can host an AHL team. Unless NHL teams start having two affiliate teams each (a la original 6 era), there will be a lot of markets that are unfilled. I live in a city that had an AHL team, and we couldn't afford to keep them. It all depends on disposable income that is available for people to spend and the actual NHL teams themselves. It seems more and more like NHL teams would rather own their affiliate and run the team for a loss.

Old
05-20-2011, 07:11 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Would this city happen to be Evansville, Indiana? Home to the Evansville Icemen? They are part of the Central Hockey League.

I don't think Evansville is too small for a AHL franchise, and the new rink they are building is certainly a decent size (websites says around 11,000 capacity for basketball).

I am sure it could work with an AHL franchise. Frankly I still can't understand why the CHL accepted the Icemen when they have been playing out of Swonder. Also, what is with their website? Looks like a high school project, actually I have seen better high school websites than that....looks like a elementary school project.
Sorry, I thought I posted a link. There's one now.

I have no idea how they are accepted playing in Swonder as well. It holds like 1000 people. The new arena looks awesome though. I'll definitely hit up a few Icemen games on my trips home.

Is CHL like the worst league out there? Not that it matters, because I won't really be pulling for anyone in particular since it's not my Preds. Probably a good time though.

Last edited by kypredsfan: 05-20-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old
05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This is the ECHL and other minor league forum.

Closed.

If the OP likes, I can move this to the AHL forum.

Closed Thread