HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Jeff Carter?

Old
05-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
True. The obvious preference is to get a play maker to feed Vanek. And to be honest, Carter isn't that guy. But, pair him with a playmaking winger like Ennis and a bigger body like Stafford or Kassian, I think you would see alot of goal scoring. Roy and Vanek isn't a bad combo. Vanek definitely makes Roy a better player IMHO since he draws the defense to him.
I don't think Ennis is a playmaking winger. Most of his effort goes into maneuvering to get off his own shot rather than set up his teammates. That's the main reason why Ennis can't make it as a center. He ranked 2nd on the Sabres in shots per minute played after Vanek. I'd love to have Carter, but I think he belongs on the wing.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Danleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Trading Miller should be a very low priority for the several reasons, but it should be a possibility depending on who we get back (i.e. someone better than Carter)
What would you think of trading Miller for Briere?

Danleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danleary View Post
I don't think he's the sort of player that currently warrants giving up Miller, nor is he a player that could justify it in his development.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
brian822

As much as I would love to have Miller on the Flyers a Miller/Carter trade package would make zero sense for you guys. You guys could do a lot better then Carter if you moved Miller.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
As much as I would love to have Miller on the Flyers a Miller/Carter trade package would make zero sense for you guys. You guys could do a lot better then Carter if you moved Miller.
Yep. We could do a lot better than Briere too.

If the Sabres were to ever trade Miller (which they won't), they should be getting a 1C with 90+ point potential who's 26 or younger coming back. And there really aren't a whole lot of those guys floating around - but then, there aren't a whole lot of Ryan Millers floating around out there either.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danleary View Post
That's akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Giroux and Van Riemsdyk for Miller

They would still have PLENTLY of scoring power

Richards
Briere
Hartnall
Carter
Leino
Versteeg

I think our goaltending would dropoff MORE than their scoring ability. But, no guts no glory ... or whatever

The "talent swap" is closer than the Briere for Miller abomination.

If Miller is a top 10 goalie (i think he is) then 1 top 10 or 2 top 20 needs to come back

Is Giroux a top 10 forward?
Is Van Riemsdyk a top 10 forward?
Or top 20?

Just my O.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Pengo

^That's not going to happen...

I would be very happy with just Giroux for Miller, but that probably won't happen either.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
^That's not going to happen...

I would be very happy with just Giroux for Miller, but that probably won't happen either.

no kidding it's not going to happen, neither are 100% of these proposals in this thread

Old
05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Pengo

Maybe.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Briere is such a beast in the playoffs, I don't think I would want him back at the expense of Miller tho ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
CSNPHILLY.COM: Tim Panaccio recently recapped the Philadelphia Flyers forwards performances this season, suggesting Jeff Carter is the most likely to be dealt to address their goaltending issues, while Scott Hartnell could also be a trade candidate. If UFA Ville Leino seeks more than $3.2 million per season the Flyers probably won’t re-sign him. RFA Dan Carcillo might not get a new contract, or one that he’d like. Ian Laperriere will likely never play again due to post-concussion symptoms, and Nikolay Zherdev won’t be re-signed.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Carter’s name has been in the rumor mill for several years now yet the Flyers have retained him. Sure, it’s possible they could shop him this summer, but that expensive 11-year contract (with trade clauses that kick in after next season) could also keep him tethered to the Flyers. Hartnell might be a more viable trade candidate, although it’s not the first time his name has popped up in the mill without anything happening. Leino might be willing to re-sign for under $3 million per.
http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/?p=5409

Old
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Giroux and Van Riemsdyk for Miller

They would still have PLENTLY of scoring power

Richards
Briere
Hartnall
Carter
Leino
Versteeg

I think our goaltending would dropoff MORE than their scoring ability. But, no guts no glory ... or whatever

The "talent swap" is closer than the Briere for Miller abomination.

If Miller is a top 10 goalie (i think he is) then 1 top 10 or 2 top 20 needs to come back

Is Giroux a top 10 forward?
Is Van Riemsdyk a top 10 forward?
Or top 20?

Just my O.
Are you saying you think Giroux and JVR are top 10 or top 20 forwards in the entire NHL?

Last edited by joshjull: 05-19-2011 at 12:22 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Are you saying you think Giroux and JVR are top 10 or top 20 forwards in the entire NHL?
I was asking. I wasn't implying a position. If I had to be pinned down and give a number... I guess both are top 20-25 in the NHL. Miller I think is top 10.

Old
05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
I was asking. I wasn't implying a position. If I had to be pinned down and give a number... I guess both are top 20-25 in the NHL. Miller I think is top 10.
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Stamkos
St. Louis
E. Staal
Parise
D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Iginla
B. Richards
Toews
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Perry

Those are the players I think are definitely better than Giroux. That's 17.

Realistically there are quite a few players who are on par with him. I'd rank him around 20-40.

Van Riemsdyk is nowhere close to being a top 20 forward. All he's shown so far are two great playoffs series. He needs to repeat that next season to be considered "elite" and not just a hot streak.

Now, if you ask about trade value, that's a different question.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:02 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

In response to the Miller for Giroux & JVR.....

Giroux is 23 and JVR is 22

I would do that deal in a second!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! We could have a core of guys of 25 and under that includes:

Ennis 21
Myers 21
Gerbe 23
MAG 24
Sekera 24
Stafford 25
Weber 23

and the old core of:

Vanek 27
Roy 28
Pomms 28

For our yes, in his prime and one of the best 30 year old Miller.....

Holy crap we would have a team for the next 6 years with that core!!!!

The only way Philly does that is because they are a win-at-all cost now mode.
I'd never do a deal for Briere and yes, just becauseof his age....build a contender, not for one year but for several.

My god, Giroux and JVR for Miller would be a dream come true and gives us great pieces to get another goalie, upgrade a top 2 defensman, etc. Do that deal before July 1st, trade for Richards' rights the next day and spoon feed him the Sabres will be top 4 team in the NHL for the next 5 years; you want to center the first line with Vanek as your wing???????"

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Delawareonline.com's Chuck Gormley noted those rumors as well and claimed to have heard “whispers” of interest in Buffalo's Ryan Miller, New Jersey's Martin Brodeur and the Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist.

Gormley suggested the only way to pry Miller, Brodeur or Lundqvist from their respective clubs, which are division rivals of the Flyers, would be through a three-way trade. Considering this, Gormley concluded Kiprusoff and Backstrom would be the most logical options.

Of the pair, Gormley feels Backstrom would be the most likely acquisition for Philadelphia, as the Wild are starving for offense. To clear the cap space for Backstrom’s $6 million per season salary Gormley suggested either offering up Carter or a package involving Kris Versteeg and defenseman Matt Carle to address the Wild's needs.

Pursuing free agents Bryzgalov or Vokoun would be expensive, but doable for the Flyers as they could shed salary through other avenues such as trades, demotions of buyouts.

Trading for Miller, Brodeur, Lundqvist or Kiprusoff, however, is pure fantasy, as is the suggestion of prying Backstrom from the Wild. Yes, the Wild need more offense, but they won't part with their top goaltender, especially when they don't have a suitable replacement for him; they’d just be trading one problem for another.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html