HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should Gilroy get a QO?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
  #76
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, Eminger could be re-signed for less than that. And I'd take Eminger over Gilroy every day of the week.

If we're looking for a veteran presence, you've got Kent Huskins, Nick Wallin and Paul Mara who would likely sign for less than $2MM. I'd take all of them over Girlroy.
Paul Mara is a liability; no thanks. And Eminger moves around for a reason. You guys have selective memory or you didn't watch the playoffs. When the lights were bright and the intensity was at its greatest his skating ability shined and was able to play well. Don't give up on him yet. Pay him $1MM or less and see what he becomes over the next two years. If that point he hasn't earned anything than cut him loose. Patience with D-men is very important.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
  #77
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,399
vCash: 500
$2.1M is too much. $1M. I don't think letting him going UFA really gives him too much leverage. Especially if he wants to stay with this group of guys. He DID pick NY when he was a UFA once and he collected a handsome price for it too, a price he did not earn.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
  #78
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
What's up??? No one could find a discent replacement for Matt? I know it would be good to get him for 1 million. Even better for 750K. It was not what the conversation is about. Sather cannot simply not to qualify Gilroy w/o plan B in case he walks away. What is that plan? Matt Gilroy part 2? Who can we get in his place? Who is Gilroy's Kotalik?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
  #79
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
What's up??? No one could find a discent replacement for Matt? I know it would be good to get him for 1 million. Even better for 750K. It was not what the conversation is about. Sather cannot simply not to qualify Gilroy w/o plan B in case he walks away. What is that plan? Matt Gilroy part 2? Who can we get in his place? Who is Gilroy's Kotalik?
Gilroy was horrible in the regular season and decent in the playoffs. I don't see why everyone thinks he was great. He scored a goal in a game we lost, great for him. He was playing like we thought he would when he came here.

You don't need a plan B because replacing somebody like Matt Gilroy is easy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:26 PM
  #80
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
None is good. I do not see RD on your list. All are LDs. O.D? Seriously?
The only one I would consider is Steve Eminger. He is RD and cheap. Gilroy is a better player in my book and will improve, PO showed he can. I need RD names that can be had for 1-1.5 million this summer. I don't need to be educated on salary cap, just want to see the options. Names, please.
O'Donnell can play the right side, and is a major upgrade over Gilroy.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
  #81
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
O'Donnell can play the right side, and is a major upgrade over Gilroy.
I agree he is a better D. However, he shoots left. That makes him LD. He can play wherever, but not for long, as a sub. We need right shooting D to consider for RD position.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:48 PM
  #82
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,868
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Paul Mara is a liability; no thanks. And Eminger moves around for a reason. You guys have selective memory or you didn't watch the playoffs. When the lights were bright and the intensity was at its greatest his skating ability shined and was able to play well. Don't give up on him yet. Pay him $1MM or less and see what he becomes over the next two years. If that point he hasn't earned anything than cut him loose. Patience with D-men is very important.
And Gilroy was a liability all year.

Playing decent hockey for five playoff games doesn't outweigh two seasons of suck. Not for me at least.

I said earlier in the thread that I'd be okay with him back at $1MM or less.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:12 PM
  #83
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
And Gilroy was a liability all year.

Playing decent hockey for five playoff games doesn't outweigh two seasons of suck. Not for me at least.
Rookies suck. Forwards sometimes not much, but Ds all having hard time adjusting to the game speed at higher level. You think 2 seasons total in organization is a fair shake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I said earlier in the thread that I'd be okay with him back at $1MM or less.
Who play 3RD if he leaves, if not Eminger? Ds that shoot left are excluded. As such we got no one in HFD.
People so far did not suggest any, except for 100year old O.D. that can switch to play right.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
  #84
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,399
vCash: 500
so who is an affordable replacement if they don't go with Vtank?

O'Brien would add toughness
Erskine may cost more but solid

other names?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
  #85
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so who is an affordable replacement if they don't go with Vtank?

O'Brien would add toughness
Erskine may cost more but solid

other names?
Vtank, Kundratek, O'Brien, Erskine are all left shooters and cannot be considered. Defenseman is not a forward. He can only play on one side - side he shoots from. Otherwise he would need to pick up off the boards with backhand. You can use off side D for a game or two as a sub, but this creates an unnecessary weakness if longer.
In order to show Gilroy the door, Slats must either sign right shooting UFA or trade V-tank or Kundratek for similarly ready prospect that shoots right. Or he has to keep Eminger as #6. Or sign Gilroy.


Last edited by 94now: 05-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:21 PM
  #86
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,868
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Rookies suck. Forwards sometimes not much, but Ds all having hard time adjusting to the game speed at higher level. You think 2 seasons total in organization is a fair shake?



Who play 3RD if he leaves, if not Eminger? Ds that shoot left are excluded. As such we got no one in HFD.
People so far did not suggest any, except for 100year old O.D. that can switch to play right.
I think he has real physical limitations. And his mentality on the ice makes those limitations more noticeable. If he were 21, I'd be less concerned with his glaring lack of strength. But he's not.

If not Eminger? I don't know. I'm advocating for Eminger.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:25 PM
  #87
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Are there any notable defensemen in the league that regularly play the opposite side from their stick handedness? Not talking about a trade or anything here, just wondering if it's feasible that we could field two lefties on our 3rd pairing. I'm really anxious to see how Valentenko has improved after this past season. Not ready to rule out MDZ though. Hoping it doesn't come down to being "one or the other".

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  #88
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,645
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Are there any notable defensemen in the league that regularly play the opposite side from their stick handedness? Not talking about a trade or anything here, just wondering if it's feasible that we could field two lefties on our 3rd pairing. I'm really anxious to see how Valentenko has improved after this past season. Not ready to rule out MDZ though. Hoping it doesn't come down to being "one or the other".
All of Philadelphia's defenseman are LH. I think we can run a 2 LH d pair for a year or two and not have it affect the team.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
  #89
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Are there any notable defensemen in the league that regularly play the opposite side from their stick handedness? Not talking about a trade or anything here, just wondering if it's feasible that we could field two lefties on our 3rd pairing. I'm really anxious to see how Valentenko has improved after this past season. Not ready to rule out MDZ though. Hoping it doesn't come down to being "one or the other".
No. No one regularly does that. It has no sense, because it is nothing but trouble. Forwards - different story. There is an advantage on offense to play off side as one shoots more from the middle. Jagr preferred RW because of that. Little defensive help from JJ has a lot do with it too. Defensive forwards almost never play off side. When you battle the boards to get the puck out of the zone trying get it done with backhand is a weakness.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
  #90
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
All of Philadelphia's defenseman are LH. I think we can run a 2 LH d pair for a year or two and not have it affect the team.
Yes, you are correct. Okay, MDZ + Valentenko for 3rd pairing D!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
  #91
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
All of Philadelphia's defenseman are LH. I think we can run a 2 LH d pair for a year or two and not have it affect the team.
Yeah, tell it Sullivan. See what he says.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
  #92
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
We are going to need at least one PMD if we are going to get anywhere in the playoffs. IMO

Until MDZ is ready we need someone who can move the puck. The issues is really more about Cap than the $$.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Gilroy. If he had been bad in the PO's, it's a no-brainer to let him go. But he was good enough to make them think about it.

I'd like to see him stay and see what develops, but cap is a real issue this summer.

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
  #93
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No. No one regularly does that. It has no sense, because it is nothing but trouble. Forwards - different story. There is an advantage on offense to play off side as one shoots more from the middle. Jagr preferred RW because of that. Little defensive help from JJ has a lot do with it too. Defensive forwards almost never play off side. When you battle the boards to get the puck out of the zone trying get it done with backhand is a weakness.
??? Assuming that NHL.com correctly lists the handness of each player, only 6 teams in the NHL have 3 R and 3 L D in their top 6 (and the Flames top 3 minute getters are all L anyway).

Flyers and Lightning go with 6 L (although if you go to 7 players Brewer makes it 6 and 1)

7 teams have a 5 L to 1 R split

As for Gilroy, no to a QO but if he wants to come back for under $1m I think he'd be fine as a #6/7

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:09 PM
  #94
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
??? Assuming that NHL.com correctly lists the handness of each player, only 6 teams in the NHL have 3 R and 3 L D in their top 6 (and the Flames top 3 minute getters are all L anyway).

Flyers and Lightning go with 6 L (although if you go to 7 players Brewer makes it 6 and 1)

7 teams have a 5 L to 1 R split
Wow, it's hard to take. I knew that since HS and wherever I played it was pretty much the "rule". I guess NHL defensemen do not have backhand weakness.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
  #95
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wow, it's hard to take. I knew that since HS and wherever I played it was pretty much the "rule". I guess NHL defensemen do not have backhand weakness.
Yeah i was surprised too. maybe there's just not enough NHL calibre RH D men?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:21 PM
  #96
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wow, it's hard to take. I knew that since HS and wherever I played it was pretty much the "rule". I guess NHL defensemen do not have backhand weakness.
Hahahah.....

Well that being said, Rangers better tell Del Zotto to be prepared to play on the right side if he has a good camp.... I could see the older, more experienced, and more polished Valentenko coming in and immediately solidifying a spot on the 3rd pairing, left side...

Gilroy for 7th defensemen.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:35 PM
  #97
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Yeah i was surprised too. maybe there's just not enough NHL calibre RH D men?
It's like say "Not enough left-handed pitchers in MLB". I don't know, RH players are minority overall. That is because almost all left-handed people shoot right, while majority of men are right-handed and shoots left therefore. Numerous exceptions are known (many superstars among them), but those are what they are - an exceptions. When it comes to NHL I would think 50/50 split be no problem due to huge pool of players from all over the world. Is Nhl.com accurate?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:41 PM
  #98
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hahahah.....

Well that being said, Rangers better tell Del Zotto to be prepared to play on the right side if he has a good camp.... I could see the older, more experienced, and more polished Valentenko coming in and immediately solidifying a spot on the 3rd pairing, left side...

Gilroy for 7th defensemen.
Sorry, it still doesn't work that way. When I agreed to stand corrected it only meant we cannot determine the side D plays normally exclusively by shooting side. It doesn't mean you can shuffle Ds freely and make anyone play anywhere.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:52 PM
  #99
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
It doesn't mean you can shuffle Ds freely and make anyone play anywhere.
I thought you stood corrected because those NHL stats were completely contrary to what you said in your previous post? I certainly didn't suggest that a defensemen has no preference for which side he plays on. But clearly, if MDZ and V-Tank are the 2 best defensemen in camp vying for those 3rd line roles, than one of them will be put on the right side by the coaching staff.... After his sophomore slump, Del Zotto doesn't have the luxury of telling the coaching staff he's only comfortable on the left side.


Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-20-2011 at 11:40 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:53 PM
  #100
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Gilly looked good in the playoffs and when used in the right circumstance. Tort's gave him some room but I think if Torts is going to mess around and keep bouncing gilroy around and even put him on wing (WTF?!) then let the kid walk and sign in Toronto or something.

I liked him. Not at the price we were paying for him. But I think we should move the page and start over with another pmd.

Pitkanen?

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.