HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP Jon Moncrief of Inside Sports 1968-2011

Old
05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
RIP Jon Moncrief of Inside Sports 1968-2011

Jon Moncrief died early Thursday morning. This information has been confirmed by his Inside Sports co-host Charles E. Smith Jr.

The cause of death is believed to be a pulmonary embolism, more specifically pulmonary thrombosis. He had some serious lung problems late in the season that caused a scare before he came back to work during the playoffs.

He was 43 years old.

There no arrangements for a funeral at this point but there may be some sort of less formal memorial service organized by his friends and colleagues.

I'll post more details as they become available. Having known Jon this is really difficult news to break, he was one of the most passionate guys out there when it came to sports. He wasn't pulling in any six-figure checks or getting backed by any multi-national, multi-billion-dollar entity, he did what he did because he loved to do it.

The big thing I'll remember about Jon was his openness toward newcomers. Whenever there would be student journalists around the Kings, he would gravitate toward them and be very friendly. For people trying to break into the industry, he was not adversarial, cold or competitive, was very warm and helpful.

We've lost a dedicated reporter today and many of us have also lost a great friend.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 05-20-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: (age correction, new details).
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Word

Rest in Peace Jon Moncrief.

Disappointing to hear about Moncrief. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

The below link was made just prior to his passing.

http://kingscast.net/episode-108-la-...e-2011-part-1/
Episode 108 LA Kings Post-Season Roundtable 2011, Part 1

Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:15 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Jon was a great guy and friend. He will be missed.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

LA Kings Press Corps Left With Huge Hole In Lineup After Loss Of Jonathan Moncrief

Jon will be sorely missed. Here's a story reporting on his passing and pays tribute...

LA Kings Press Corps Left With Huge Hole In Lineup After Loss Of Jonathan Moncrief

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
I unfortunately didn't know Jon but I know Charles from meeting him at this year's Winter Classic and I was a fan of Jon's work. I was saddened to see Charles announce this on Facebook. Only 42, so sad.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

The one time I really can say I met Jon he was a very good guy and cool to hang out with. I was very disappointed to hear about his death to. I know most of The Fourth Period crew was as well.

RIP Jon.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I must be honest. I've never heard of the guy. Maybe I read some of his articles and never knew it? But if he was a Kings fan/writer, then he is certainly in heaven after experiencing the hell that is Kings hockey for many years. RIP

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote