HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg (Officially Now The Winnipeg Jets Again)

Old
05-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I do. It sucked.

2010-11 attendance: 81.4% of capacity (tied for last in the NHL)
2009-10 attendance: 82.9% of capacity (29th)
2008-09 attendance: 85.8% of capacity (last)
2007-08 attendance: 88.3% of capacity (tied for 25th)
2006-07 attendance: 88.9% of capacity (21st)

The NHL never should have went back there. Once the novelty wore off, they had nothing. At least Winnipeg loves hockey and will support it consistently.

... Yep, why don't we do just that. Let's look at what has happened there.

Starting in 2006-07, they've been 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, and 19th in the NHL in attendance. Not too impressive if you ask me.
19th isn't too bad. They're never going to be top 10. I think one thing to remember though is how consistently good the Preds have been, at least in the regular season. So, who had lower attendance than Nashville this past season?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:01 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Nashville is 21st from where I'm looking, though I may not be looking in the best place.

Ducks have horrible attendance O.o As do the Devils.

This must be wrong

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
You dont go by attendance #'s as the Preds stadium is smaller then most ahead of it. You go by Att %

The Preds had 94.7% attendance whic is very good

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I've been to both rinks, average game in Atlanta feels like an open practice, Nashville is a pretty good atmosphere.

As was mentioned above, percentage is more important than total fans since it's not fair to compare Le Centre Bell and The Igloo (the old one), for example.

05-20-2011, 03:33 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
You dont go by attendance #'s as the Preds stadium is smaller then most ahead of it. You go by Att %

Ah, that was pretty stupid of me, thanks for the correction

Still surprised about Ducks and Devils, though.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:

... OK, 19th is "very good" I guess. Carolina finished 19th in the league in points; that must mean they are a "very good" team.

Nashville won 45 games without the shootout in 06-07 and were 21st in the NHL in attendance percentage. The next season, they were 22nd. This season, only two playoff teams had worse attendance - Tampa, who generally wasn't expected to make the playoffs before the season started; and Anaheim, who has classically had a terrible fan base.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

Starting in 2006-07, they've been 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, and 19th in the NHL in attendance. Not too impressive if you ask me.
You're rant is missing some much-needed context and proper focus. The 18th place team in attendance % is LA with 97.7%, which is excellent. 18th place is fantastic in this context.

Start here:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

The Preds are fine. It's the teams under 90% that are somewhat of a concern. Under 80% are a significant concern.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
johnjm22

I still think the Thrashers could have survived had they built a consistent winner. That said, Atlanta is a pretty poor sports town in general. The Hawks, Falcons, Braves and Thrashers are all the bottom half of their leagues in attendance.

And even though it didn't work out, I don't necessarily disagree with the leagues original decision to put the Thrashers in Atlanta. If you want to expand the game, you've got to try and reach different markets.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:59 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You're rant is missing some much-needed context and proper focus.
... LOL, my rant? OK, whatever you say. Your post said "hey look at what they're doing in Nashville" and I responded with "yep let's look at that, hmmm not very impressive" and it isn't. You can quote whatever context you like. I'm just pointing out how they have compared to the league.

Old
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
... LOL, my rant? OK, whatever you say. Your post said "hey look at what they're doing in Nashville" and I responded with "yep let's look at that, hmmm not very impressive" and it isn't. You can quote whatever context you like. I'm just pointing out how they have compared to the league.
You are not looking at the right number though. It's % of capacity that matters and Gnashville is doing well considering it's not a traditional market.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:15 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
... LOL, my rant? OK, whatever you say. Your post said "hey look at what they're doing in Nashville" and I responded with "yep let's look at that, hmmm not very impressive"
Except:

1. You are looking at the wrong numbers.
2. As a result of #1, you're assessment is wrong and you keep restating it which isn't helping.
3. Everyone's trying to point out which numbers you should be using, but you're ignoring them.

If you want to keep ignoring what we're all trying to show you, I'll build you a sandbox and you can go play by yourself. Otherwise you need to pay attention.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Except:

1. You are looking at the wrong numbers.
... OK, I'll bold this so you can spot it. Fair enough?

Quote:
Quote:
... OK, 19th is "very good" I guess. Carolina finished 19th in the league in points; that must mean they are a "very good" team.

Nashville won 45 games without the shootout in 06-07 and were 21st in the NHL in attendance percentage.
Quote:
If you want to keep ignoring what we're all trying to show you, I'll build you a sandbox and you can go play by yourself. Otherwise you need to pay attention.
... I've been going by attendance percentage all along, from my first post in this thread - so please tell me again who needs to pay attention, OK?

Old
05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
johnjm22

Geez. Everybody's quick to jump on JT. I'm not familiar with the numbers myself, but the point he was trying to make was accurate; attendance has always been a concern for Nashville. One or two years of decent attendance, doesn't make up for the previous 10 years. I realize they were an expansion team in a completely new market and have showed consistent improvement, but they're still having trouble generating a significant profit.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Geez. Everybody's quick to jump on JT. I'm not familiar with the numbers myself, but the point he was trying to make was accurate; attendance has always been a concern for Nashville. One or two years of decent attendance, doesn't make up for the previous 10 years. I realize they were an expansion team in a completely new market and have showed consistent improvement, but they're still having trouble generating a significant profit.
19th is good for a team like Nashville. Especially considering the market. Getting to the 2nd round should boost their attendance next season.

Look at the teams ahead of Nashville, who do you seriously expect them to be ahead of? SJ and St louis are the only 2 teams that aren't traditional markets (but they have both always drawn well)

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 05-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Wow!

Don't forget the greatest Jet of all in Dale Howerchuk. He was one of the smoothest skaters. All right so are they going to make them keep their Trashers name? I hope they get to rename themselves. I always laughed at the name "the Jets" as it seemed to say that people wanted out so bad that the fastest way possible was the best. The term "Gotta Jet" always had a funny meaning to me.
I saw the Jets play when they were in the WHA. That Bobby Hull guy and his linemates weren't too shabby.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

The bottom line here is that hockey in Atlanta is probably done forever and unfairly so. The Spirit Group treated the Thrashers like an unwanted stepchild and probably doomed the sport in the market by doing so. Imagine if the Ottawa Senators had a group this inept, unconcerned and prone to infighting running them, they'd be the Kansas City Senators today more than likely.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:04 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
Awesome the Winnipeg got a team. Really happy for the fans there and I'll definitely be watching them every chance I get.

Going to be one hell of a party in Winnipeg

kingsfan: You're not leaving us, are you?
I was a Kings fan when the Jets were here the first time, have been since 1988, so no, I'm loyal to the crest.

That said, I may have a new second favorite team

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Running bets on how many seasons before Winnipeg fans stop showing up to games and the Thrashers are moved again?

If the Jets/Thrashers/whatever move again, it'll be for the same reason as last time, and that had nothing to do with fan support.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:14 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I just think it's funny that, not since about 80 or 90 years ago have Seattle had a major league hockey team. What is it about the American Pacific Northwest that the NHL is afraid of? Sasquatch?
I agree. Back when the return of the NHL was first being discussed a few years ago, we were talking about it, saying we doubted we'd get a team (thankfully it appears we were wrong). When discussing where to move a team though, Seattle was one place many NHL followers up here would support. They follow their hockey well with the WHL and they have some of the best attendance in that league, drawing I think -and don't quote me, I could be wrong- but upwards of 14,000 a game for Portland.

While I don't think further southern US expansion is a good idea at the moment, given issues in Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville, if the NHL did have to relocate in the south I'd hope it'd be to Las Vegas. I'm assuming you guys would have a better idea of that than me, but if there's a city where disposable income seems like a guarantee, you'd think every weekend game would be a sellout.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
I hope they go back to the name Winnipeg Jets and Teemu signs and plays his final season there.

Nostalgic for me, and beneficial for the Kings.
While it is a pipe dream I think, if Teemu came back to play in Winnipeg, he'd have the key to the city, a red carpet waiting for him at the airport, and the mayor's first daughter's hand in marriage.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Depends on your definition of well supported.
Well your question pertained to fan support, and in terms of fan support, there was plenty, thanks.

Old
05-20-2011, 06:36 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
5 posts in a row? Theres a thing called multiquote

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:37 PM
BringTheReign

Do you guys think they will revert back to being the Winnipeg Jets, stay the Thrashers, or get a new name?

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
5 posts in a row? Theres a thing called multiquote
I've never been a fan of that unless you are using all the posts for one point, which i wasn't.

Besides, I'm old. Leave me alone.

And get off my lawn

Old
05-20-2011, 06:43 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I agree. Back when the return of the NHL was first being discussed a few years ago, we were talking about it, saying we doubted we'd get a team (thankfully it appears we were wrong). When discussing where to move a team though, Seattle was one place many NHL followers up here would support. They follow their hockey well with the WHL and they have some of the best attendance in that league, drawing I think -and don't quote me, I could be wrong- but upwards of 14,000 a game for Portland.

While I don't think further southern US expansion is a good idea at the moment, given issues in Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville, if the NHL did have to relocate in the south I'd hope it'd be to Las Vegas. I'm assuming you guys would have a better idea of that than me, but if there's a city where disposable income seems like a guarantee, you'd think every weekend game would be a sellout.
Dittos infinitum on that...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote