Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Derek Boogard Found Dead

Old
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
With these new found issues regarding concussions, the NHL should SERIOUSLY look into banning hockey. I think its about time.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
With these new found issues regarding concussions, the NHL should SERIOUSLY look into banning hockey. I think its about time.
It's getting there

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
FutureConsiderations

Brooks tweeted that the Hennepin ME has ruled it was an accidental mix of alcohol and oxycodone that killed Boogaard.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Brooks tweeted that the Hennepin ME has ruled it was an accidental mix of alcohol and oxycodone that killed Boogaard.
Awful awful news. Heart goes out to his family.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...of-death_N.htm

MINNEAPOLIS A medical examiner in Minnesota has ruled the death of New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard (FSY) was an accident, due to mixing alcohol and oxycodone.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Mione134

Terrible.

I figured it had to do with drugs. Poor guy. Sad for his family.

Mione134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

That's sad but kind of knew it was due to something like that

RIP

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
wensink

Yesterday, during the Commissioner Hour (NHL on XM), Bettman sort of alluded to this.

He said people need to stop speculating until the results are announced...

I'm already seeing some people continue to speculate that it was a by-product of his previous head injuries. Of course this is complete speculation...

wensink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Regina

Speers

I work at Speers in Regina where we will have the honour of paying homage to Mr Boogaards life this Saturday.

I thought I would post the link where you can sign, read the register or light a cnadle on his behalf if you so please.

Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Terrible.

I figured it had to do with drugs. Poor guy. Sad for his family.
Which, isn`t unheard of in regards to how individuals often deal with the side effects, long term effects that concussions can have on one emotional/mental state ie: depression amongst many other symptoms of the injury

Any way you cut it, terribly sad to see anyone`s life end far too prematurely.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:50 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
nothing to see here, just an idiot posting....

Last edited by WBC8: 05-20-2011 at 06:41 PM.
WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
cosmicheretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
No offense but what sort of idiot drinks alcohol while taking prescription pain killers? Besides just having plain common sense it says it right on the ******* bottle. Sorry if I sound uncaring, but angry this guy's gone and his family has to go through this for basically not knowing what the **** he was putting into his system.
Pretty sure he knew...not exactly pez he was popping. Saying it was an accident is also speculation.

cosmicheretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
No offense but what sort of idiot drinks alcohol while taking prescription pain killers? Besides just having plain common sense it says it right on the ******* bottle. Sorry if I sound uncaring, but angry this guy's gone and his family has to go through this for basically not knowing what the **** he was putting into his system.
It seems like you'd have to be an idiot to become an addict, but it can't be further from the truth. When you're addicted to something, you're addicted...that's the point. You're not making conscious decisions as to what is good and bad for you...oxycodine is an incredibly addictive drug...once you are addicted, you feel as if you can't live without it. If you really think an addiction is as easy to address as just not doing it because the label on the bottle says not to, then you really have no idea what going through something like this entails. Addiction takes over your life and ruins it. Not much else outside of drugs matters. Horrible, horrible thing.

jmiller010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:40 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
It seems like you'd have to be an idiot to become an addict, but it can't be further from the truth. When you're addicted to something, you're addicted...that's the point. You're not making conscious decisions as to what is good and bad for you...oxycodine is an incredibly addictive drug...once you are addicted, you feel as if you can't live without it. If you really think an addiction is as easy to address as just not doing it because the label on the bottle says not to, then you really have no idea what going through something like this entails. Addiction takes over your life and ruins it. Not much else outside of drugs matters. Horrible, horrible thing.
I've been around it my whole life (albeit not with pharmaceuticals), and honestly I didn't read between the lines on this story...Hearing "accidental" I didn't put two and two together....

My apologies if I offended anyone...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Awful, RIP Boogeyman.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:02 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
All those speculating about concussions and fighting need to step back and evaluate the facts:

1. Boogaard suffered a bad concussion this year and likely had many others in his career.

2. Boogaard was in the league's substance abuse program.

3. Boogaard died at 28. There were no reports that he was suffering from memory loss, lack of coordination, vision problems, or anything else resembling brain trauma.

Even if Derek died of either depression (suicide) or brain hemorrhaging, there are very likely too many mitigating factors to say that this was caused by concussions. Depression is a common symptom of drug withdrawal and/or relapsing and a hemorrhage or something like that could most likely have been caused by something other than a concussion he suffered months ago (e.g. a bad mix of medicines).

Occam's Razor isn't buying this "fighting -> concussion -> death" link. There's too much else, just like Probert. Even if he showed signs of CTE, it's almost impossible to say that led to depression at 28 and thus, his death. If you're making that claim, there are a lot of holes to fill in the story and a lot of mitigating factors.
If Boogaard had CTE, it was caused by blows to the head. There's no connection between drug abuse and CTE.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
PJ1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Very true. A family friend had back surgery about 5 or 6 years ago and got hooked on his pain medication. He never abused them initially, never took more than what the side of the bottle said, but when it came time for him to come off it his body just wouldn't let him. He was the last type of person you would ever expect to develop a drug problem. Hard working guy married for 25+ years, built a good life for his family, was working on putting his son through college. Yet a year after the surgery he was a full blown addict doing whatever it took to get more pills or any kind of drug that would substitute. You never know what kind of circumstances lead to these problems for people and it truly does ruin peoples lives (friends and family of the addicts as well). Thankfully in this case, he's been off any drugs for 2 years as of last month and his family is back together fully supporting his recovery, but he almost lost everything he worked for in life like is the case with so many addiction stories that don't have happy endings. You really can't look at someone with a drug problem and just dismiss them as a junkie.

PJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:19 PM
BREWINZ

Incredibly sad. Reminds me of the Heath Ledger incident. RIP Boogard. I had a lot of respect for him.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:58 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
If Boogaard had CTE, it was caused by blows to the head. There's no connection between drug abuse and CTE.
Right. I never claimed there was. You misunderstood my post.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1991 View Post
Very true. A family friend had back surgery about 5 or 6 years ago and got hooked on his pain medication. He never abused them initially, never took more than what the side of the bottle said, but when it came time for him to come off it his body just wouldn't let him. He was the last type of person you would ever expect to develop a drug problem. Hard working guy married for 25+ years, built a good life for his family, was working on putting his son through college. Yet a year after the surgery he was a full blown addict doing whatever it took to get more pills or any kind of drug that would substitute. You never know what kind of circumstances lead to these problems for people and it truly does ruin peoples lives (friends and family of the addicts as well). Thankfully in this case, he's been off any drugs for 2 years as of last month and his family is back together fully supporting his recovery, but he almost lost everything he worked for in life like is the case with so many addiction stories that don't have happy endings. You really can't look at someone with a drug problem and just dismiss them as a junkie.
How true ! This happens to good people all the time. What it comes down to is how strong is his or her will to end the vicious cycle of prescription drugs. Very sad to see it end a decent person's life. It makes you think about how short life can be if you let drugs control it .

Last edited by Lordstanley: 05-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:24 AM
cosmicheretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
There is a relationship with CTE and chronic depression though. Drug abuse is a symptom of chronic depression. Lots of enforcers, boxers etc battle drug abuse and have CTE so the relationship is obvious.

cosmicheretic is offline   Reply With Quote