HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christian Thomas signs 3 year ELC

Old
05-19-2011, 07:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
RW.

Hagelin is a LW.

Grachev is a LW.

Kreider is a LW.

MZA is a RW. Although he can play LW.

I would say those are the players who have the highest chances of making the team who arent already there.

Borque is also a RW.

Wilson is a LW.

Weise is a RW.

Fasth is a RW.

Horak, Lindberg, Yogan are all C's.
Just to add to this, Grachev is also a center. Hagelin played center late in the year for Michigan. And I think we were told by Serge Constantin that Bourque also played some center.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Just to add to this, Grachev is also a center. Hagelin played center late in the year for Michigan. And I think we were told by Serge Constantin that Bourque also played some center.
Yep all of those are true. I put the positions I believe they will thrive at in the NHL. I mean Callahan can play center, but he shouldn't. Avery can play center, but he shouldnt either.

Hagelin can play center, but he is much more effective at wing. Grachev can play center but if he wants to make the NHL, he needs to concentrate on simplifying his game and utilizing his size along the boards to his advantage. Bourque is too small and weak to be a center as a pro.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Agreed on all counts.

Also, I think Bourque is too small and weak to play in the NHL at all.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed on all counts.

Also, I think Bourque is too small and weak to play in the NHL at all.
I totally agree. He plays a power forwards game in a tiny body. He needs to fill out and add 15-25 lbs of muscle to have a shot.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

An Islanders fan created a Nino vs. Thomas poll.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Even if they sign Richards, that leaves (2) LW spots open, a RW spot open and 2 defensive positions open.
that is more or less how i'm looking at it in terms of 'open' spots going into camp, and i'm not counting the extra skaters cause i don't believe that kids should be kept in those roles...

those 5 spots might include guys like wolski/mza/gilroy/eminger proving that they deserve to keep their spots...but i think 5 openings is pretty solid and creates some nice competition in camp.

but the one thing that jumps out from that lineup is how young we are, if you give the 4th line LW spot to avery over feds since he's signed, that would make avery the OLDEST skater on the team. and richards and avery the only guys over 30 (besides biron).

you'd almost be forced to bring in a veteran forward and a veteran dman (which could be bring back prospal/fedotenko and eminger). even if there are kids that are better, does the lack of veteran leadership hurt the kids that are already in ny?

thinking back to the pre-lockout days its mindboggling to even think about the concept that we might need to sign a veteran cause you can't have an entire team of players under 28.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
that is more or less how i'm looking at it in terms of 'open' spots going into camp, and i'm not counting the extra skaters cause i don't believe that kids should be kept in those roles...

those 5 spots might include guys like wolski/mza/gilroy/eminger proving that they deserve to keep their spots...but i think 5 openings is pretty solid and creates some nice competition in camp.

but the one thing that jumps out from that lineup is how young we are, if you give the 4th line LW spot to avery over feds since he's signed, that would make avery the OLDEST skater on the team. and richards and avery the only guys over 30 (besides biron).

you'd almost be forced to bring in a veteran forward and a veteran dman (which could be bring back prospal/fedotenko and eminger). even if there are kids that are better, does the lack of veteran leadership hurt the kids that are already in ny?

thinking back to the pre-lockout days its mindboggling to even think about the concept that we might need to sign a veteran cause you can't have an entire team of players under 28.
I think if the Rangers can bring in Richards, that leaves them with some pretty solid veterans:

Richards
Gaborik
Hank
Girardi(Yes, at 27, he will be a vet)
Callahan(Plays like a 10 year veteran)

I dont think it would be a terrible idea to bring in a lower line forward, like Fedotenko, or someone else who drop the gloves and play the game, to being some more leadership.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal and Girardi need to step into that void. They are no longer the "young players".

Next year will be Anisimov's 3rd season. He needs to continue to progress.

Prust needs to continue improving and continue molding himself into a leader for this team. Same for Boyle.

I think Brewer may be a solid option for this team for a year or 2.

Old
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
I think if the Rangers can bring in Richards, that leaves them with some pretty solid veterans:

Richards
Gaborik
Hank
Girardi(Yes, at 27, he will be a vet)
Callahan(Plays like a 10 year veteran)

I dont think it would be a terrible idea to bring in a lower line forward, like Fedotenko, or someone else who drop the gloves and play the game, to being some more leadership.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal and Girardi need to step into that void. They are no longer the "young players".

Next year will be Anisimov's 3rd season. He needs to continue to progress.

Prust needs to continue improving and continue molding himself into a leader for this team. Same for Boyle.

I think Brewer may be a solid option for this team for a year or 2.
agree completely on dubi, cally, staal and girardi needing to step up as leaders...but there still is a lack of experience to some extent and those guys are still in the process of maturing themselves...so while i expect/want them to be the lockerroom leaders but i'm not sure how much veteran leadership experience its fair to expect from them...

really i think my concern here is the potential impact on the kids in the lineup, not so much the overall team. a veteran partner could help the development of mcdonagh/sauer. and my biggest concern/fear right now is that if stepan gets stuck on a line with 2 rookies that puts alot of pressure on stepan, doesn't give him a linemate to help him grow and worries me that a kid line like that won't get enough ice time...

now you could solve that by splitting up dubinsky-aa-callahan and putting either dubi or cally with stepan...i just want to make sure that the kids already here are in the best position to succeed and grow BEFORE worrying about adding more kids

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Hamrat

Has anyone brought up the fact that Thomas' OHL numbers are on the same level as Hall and Seguin before their NHL jump? His closest comparison is Skinner, just with better numbers and a much better +/-.

I fully expect Thomas to be in the NHL next year.

Hamrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrat View Post
Has anyone brought up the fact that Thomas' OHL numbers are on the same level as Hall and Seguin before their NHL jump? His closest comparison is Skinner, just with better numbers and a much better +/-.

I fully expect Thomas to be in the NHL next year.
They're similar, though this was Thomas' third junior season. Hall and Seguin were elite players from the moment they first stepped onto the ice in the OHL. Over a point per game as rookies.

The for Thomas are certainly impressive, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Hall. And probably not Seguin, either.

Old
05-19-2011, 09:52 PM
ecemleafs

Thomas has scored the most goals in the OHL over the past 2 seasons. There's a story on him signing on TSN now.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Pugs35

I'm guardedly optimistic about Thomas' future/ upside but this hyping of him reminds me an awful lot of the Grachev hype 2 years ago that has now turned into a lot of disappointment (which is premature IMO).

You've got to love what Thomas has done so far, but there's a reason he wasn't a 1st Round pick. He's got a long way to go and a lot to prove before he deserves mention near guys like Skinner, Hall or even Seguin, if ever.

It's unfortunate that he can't play for the Whale next year since I really don't see him sticking with the Rangers this year. Hopefully he turns in a good performance at Traverse City and builds on that.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Pizza

Quote:
RW.

Hagelin is a LW.

Grachev is a LW.

Kreider is a LW.

MZA is a RW. Although he can play LW.

I would say those are the players who have the highest chances of making the team who arent already there.

Borque is also a RW.

Wilson is a LW.

Weise is a RW.

Fasth is a RW.

Horak, Lindberg, Yogan are all C's.
I know he's listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure I saw a compilation vid where a scored a few goals from the left side as well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I know he's listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure I saw a compilation vid where a scored a few goals from the left side as well.
Left side on the PP

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:53 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I'm guardedly optimistic about Thomas' future/ upside but this hyping of him reminds me an awful lot of the Grachev hype 2 years ago that has now turned into a lot of disappointment (which is premature IMO).

You've got to love what Thomas has done so far, but there's a reason he wasn't a 1st Round pick. He's got a long way to go and a lot to prove before he deserves mention near guys like Skinner, Hall or even Seguin, if ever.

It's unfortunate that he can't play for the Whale next year since I really don't see him sticking with the Rangers this year. Hopefully he turns in a good performance at Traverse City and builds on that.
Not going to compare him to Hall etc. but the reason he wasn't a 1st rd pick was solely his size.

Difference between Grachev hype and now Thomas is that Grachev was able to get by because he was physically superior to 98%of the OHL, bigger, stronger, faster. Thomas gets by purely on his skill/work. Also, Grachev went 40/40/80 in 60, whereas Thomas went 54/45/99 in 66. Different players, different circumstances.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
gogensgo

It would nice if Thomas can make the leap one day because he is a nice kid but I just don't see it for a number of reasons. He will get a sniff or maybe more than a sniff with the team and in the league due to his name but I just don't see him as an NHL player. He's going to be one of those high scoring junior players that could never quite make the leap. Hope I'm wrong. If I was the Rangers, I would trade him while his stock his high.

gogensgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Found this on Youtube:

The goals from 1:35-like 1:47 are absolute snipes.

Kid.Is.Just.Wow.

05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
It would nice if Thomas can make the leap one day because he is a nice kid but I just don't see it for a number of reasons. He will get a sniff or maybe more than a sniff with the team and in the league due to his name but I just don't see him as an NHL player. He's going to be one of those high scoring junior players that could never quite make the leap. Hope I'm wrong. If I was the Rangers, I would trade him while his stock his high.
Just curious if you have watched Thomas play? I have not so it would be interesting to hear your take on Thomas.

All is see is great stats for a 3rd year junior player with great You tube videos. Seriously, Gordie Clark is a great scout and he would not have drafted Thomas in the 2nd round if he did not believe Thomas can make it in the NHL. Thomas looks to be on a path headed right into the NHL and real soon.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:53 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Found this on Youtube:

The goals from 1:35-like 1:47 are absolute snipes.

Kid.Is.Just.Wow.
Call me crazy, but he kind of reminds me of Kovalchuk just based on that short video. I know its short and only in juniors, but they appear to play a similar style.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Call me crazy, but he kind of reminds me of Kovalchuk just based on that short video. I know its short and only in juniors, but they appear to play a similar style.
Someone in the comments mentioned that he will be the next Brian Gionta.

I honestly see that as a more favorable comparison, but that's just me.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Just throwing this out there.

Supposedly Thomas and Stepan were hooked up at Traverse City and were very good together.

Grachev and Kreider also have chemistry with Stepan.

Thomas is a RE but he sure would look good taking feeds on the LW from Stepan. Let him use the quick one-timer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:05 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Just throwing this out there.

Supposedly Thomas and Stepan were hooked up at Traverse City and were very good together.

Grachev and Kreider also have chemistry with Stepan.

Thomas is a RE but he sure would look good taking feeds on the LW from Stepan. Let him use the quick one-timer.
I'm sorry not really sure what you're throwing out there.

Is it that there's a possibly that all 3 can have chemistry with Stepan and that Thomas could conceivably could play LW on a line with him.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I'm sorry not really sure what you're throwing out there.

Is it that there's a possibly that all 3 can have chemistry with Stepan and that Thomas could conceivably could play LW on a line with him.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand.
Yeah, I assume it's the same idea of having Gabby on the "wrong" side so he can one time on the PP (even though we never do it.)

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Well yeah, was implying Thomas playing on Stepan's LW could be a potent combination.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:26 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
There's a reason everyone always looks good with Stepan

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote