HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cba Opinions

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 10:24 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Cba Opinions

I think next season is toast, I can`t see the players giving into concessions to reduce payroll , obviously the NHLPA has to bend big time to satisfy the owners. Everyone is to blame for this mess, but if the owners wake up and do what they did summer , they can put as drag on salaries. The major problem here is this is a gate driven league , no tv deal will ever be in place to offset costs as other leagues. The top end guy can`t make 10-12 mil a year, this league can`t support it. The other major problem and Brett Hull hit on the head ,is 3/4 of this league is way overpaid, thase are the 4th, 5th and 6th dmen and 3rd and 4th
line players who are non impact, mostly replaceable parts. The habs and
leafs have 15-20 mil a year tied up in these types of players, domi,reichel and belak is a 6 mil 4th line for the buds, this is ludacrous.

what are your opinions on a potential lockout? who caves? how will issues be resolved?

Old
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
arsobro

yesterday,NHLPA proposed a 5% salary reduce. Owners rejected and proposed a 31 millions salary cap to the NHLPA. 14 of 30 teams have payroll over 40 millions. Goodenow said that NHLPA will have a meeting at the end of the month.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Capitano

I can't see the players backing off. I DO side with the owners though...I'm tired of seeing millionaire goons and millionaire 5th defensemen. Salaries have risen drastically and yes the owners are to blame for that. The problem is that the players of today are never paid for the potential they have. For example, a guy like Richard Zednik, he signed a deal that paid him 1.7 million after he scored 21 goals. Now he scored 30 goals and the habs are paying him 1.8 I believe, quite the bargain, so when his contract his up he'll want to be paid like Pierre Turgeon because Turgeon can't score anymore and he makes 5 million. Players are always paid for their past accomplishments. Very rarely do UFA's produce as well as they did before they were UFA's (see Bobby Holik, Tony Amonte, etc).

Anyway, to sum it up, it's going to be ugly, it's going to be long, and in the end we're the only ones who are going to pay for it.

Cap

Old
10-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman

what are your opinions on a potential lockout? who caves? how will issues be resolved?

Probably a 4-6 month lockout. The players do not have the bargaining power they used to, as the superstars have mostly retired, or will be retiring soon.

There won't be a team salary cap. Probably a form of revenue sharing, and changes to Free Agency.

The owners are losing money, they won't be in a rush to start next season.

Then again, the CBA is so complicated... who knows. If players like Hull get their voice heard, he could sway the NHLPA youngsters pretty fast.

Closed Thread