HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nathan McKinnon... "The next Crosby"?

Old
05-21-2011, 01:02 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Nathan McKinnon... "The next Crosby"?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/S...ear-old-021511

I was looking for youngest and most potentially elite player online and his name came up first. I think I've heard of him before. Is he the real deal? Tavares was supposed to be "the next Crosby" but so far, being compared to Sid, he's "meh" (though I expect a serious increase in goals next year for Tavares). Truth be told Crosby's don't come around often but it would be fantastic to have another player in the league of his ridiculous caliber.

Edit: Whoops, meant to post this in the main board. I'm not suggesting tanking don't shoot. Mods do what you wish with this one. Sorry about that.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

vCash: 500
does he cry with conviction?

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:41 AM
SomE

Tavares wasn't supposed to be the next Crosby. People assume he was because he was talked about at such a young age.

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:51 AM
mapes

Leaf fan here..

I'm from Hali so know a bit about him. This kid went to like all the same schools as Sid and people say he is every bit as talented at the same age. He's going first overall in the Q draft in June and Halifax and Rimouski have been hard after the first overall pick but it sounds like they are keeping the pick. He's using the NCAA card but you never know what his true intentions are. It'd be a shame if he went the NCAA route to avoid playing for them.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Habs' WayToWin

Tavares will never be elite because he's not a good skater. He's not fast, he's not especially strong. Elite goalscorers can't reach that statistical pinnacle without one of those two skating categories being elite also. He won't become a 40, 50 goalscorer ever. He won't make enough goals on his own.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:13 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Tavares will never be elite because he's not a good skater. He's not fast, he's not especially strong. Elite goalscorers can't reach that statistical pinnacle without one of those two skating categories being elite also. He won't become a 40, 50 goalscorer ever. He won't make enough goals on his own.
Rhymes with "Spain Marquis".

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Disagree. He has a nose for the net and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. At 20, he was nearly 30-40. Playing with who? PA Parenteau? He'll be a perennial 40-40 guy for years.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:26 AM
NaturalIce

McKinnon looks to be a promising player, but so much can happen between now and his draft year.

Chances are however, in the next 3 or 4 years we will see another elite talent come through. With the way training and knowlege or the game are taught at such young levels there's bound to be a player on or just slightly below crosby's level sooner rather than later.

NaturalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:27 AM
NaturalIce

There's also a european kid (maybe finnish?) That's supposed to be a generational talent draft eligible for 2014 I think?

Basically this post is useless because of my lack of memory.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:06 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I see Tavares as "the Next Jason Spezza" but without Alfredsson and Heatley/Hossa to help boost his numbers so much.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:14 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

hey nathan.....dont skate into people's elbows in the winter classic. you will be fine. keep up the good work.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
There's also a european kid (maybe finnish?) That's supposed to be a generational talent draft eligible for 2014 I think?

Basically this post is useless because of my lack of memory.
I'm pretty sure you mean Patrik Koys. He's Slovakian.

Though there's this Finnish kid Aleksi Saarela who's supposed to be something spectacular. 2015 draft?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Also Nail Yakupov (2012) is supposedly going to be the best Russian drafted since Ovechkin, the kid absolutely tore up the OHL as a 16/17 year old

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:16 AM
TrollololBoyle

I don't like the whole "let's do everything that Crosby did"... going to the same schools and such... that's so weak.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I don't like the whole "let's do everything that Crosby did"... going to the same schools and such... that's so weak.
lol a kid from my country left to play at Shattuck St. Mary's, and everyone on the English hockey forum was like "omg Crosby went there he iz goin 2 b awsum" and at 21 years he is now playing in the powerhouse league which is the English 2nd tier

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
There was a player on a good team that finished dead last in all of the physical tests that the team was given. Strength, etc. Not just last. Dead last. His name was Wayne Gretzky.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Tavares almost put up 70 points playing with Matt Moulson and Pappy. I see John as more of a natural goalscorer than a playmaker- if you could hook him up with a playmaking winger OR move him to the wing with a real playmaking center I think Tavares would be a ridiculous player in the future.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:54 AM
darko

Quote:

He had 29 this season. Get him a pass first center and play Tavares on the wing and he'll pot 40. 67 points in 79 games as a 20 year playing with scrubs is pretty darn good.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
There was a player on a good team that finished dead last in all of the physical tests that the team was given. Strength, etc. Not just last. Dead last. His name was Wayne Gretzky.
I only quoted this one because I thought it deserved special attention. John Tavares is no Wayne Gretzky and the comparison is frankly ridiculous and insulting to The Great One.

Take a look at the top goalscorers this year or really any recent year. Something you'll notice, the truly elite make their own chances. Tavares doesn't have the speed or strength to do that as regularly as these guys. That was a knock on him since he came into the league and that's why I never bought the hype that he was the next Crosby.

I won't pretend I know much about this kid, I don't really start taking a hard look at the draft until June, but I'd be skeptical of the hype. You need to be a truly complete player to be elite. That's why Tavares won't be.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Quote:
I only quoted this one because I thought it deserved special attention. John Tavares is no Wayne Gretzky and the comparison is frankly ridiculous and insulting to The Great One.

Take a look at the top goalscorers this year or really any recent year. Something you'll notice, the truly elite make their own chances. Tavares doesn't have the speed or strength to do that as regularly as these guys. That was a knock on him since he came into the league and that's why I never bought the hype that he was the next Crosby.

I won't pretend I know much about this kid, I don't really start taking a hard look at the draft until June, but I'd be skeptical of the hype. You need to be a truly complete player to be elite. That's why Tavares won't be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Rhymes with "Spain Marquis".
You guys, learn to rhyme.

And the point is that you said never. And according to my Discrete Mathematics course, you only need to provide one counter example to completely disprove "never". So you're factually wrong.

Not that I think Tavares will ever be an elite player in the NHL, but you can't just go and say he'll never ever hit 50 or even 40 goals.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
NaturalIce

Patrick koys is exactly who I was thinking of! Thank you!

Old
05-21-2011, 01:38 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Skating is something that can easily be taught. You can teach speed, maneuverability, you can teach strength on skates, etc. Skates aren't part of the body, it's the person in the skates who does the work. I'm by no means a good skater, but despite my choppy display of skating, I am still pretty fast on skates, because I am a fast person off the skates.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
Also Nail Yakupov (2012) is supposedly going to be the best Russian drafted since Ovechkin, the kid absolutely tore up the OHL as a 16/17 year old

I love the name Nail for a hockey player.

But yeah, a 16 year old scoring 100+ points in the OHL is ridiculous. Named Rookie of the Year, and also Rookie of the Month three times.

He's 5-10 170 pounds, but he's still only 17, so there's a chance he'll grow more. If not, maybe he'll slip down to the Rangers. I love these types of picks.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Nail is going to go top 3. He's a special talent. Like I said before, I absolutely despise tanking but if it was guaranteed we'd get Nail i'd go for it if this was 3-4 years ago.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Skating is something that can easily be taught. You can teach speed, maneuverability, you can teach strength on skates, etc. Skates aren't part of the body, it's the person in the skates who does the work. I'm by no means a good skater, but despite my choppy display of skating, I am still pretty fast on skates, because I am a fast person off the skates.
It's actually the exact opposite. Unless you're a terrible mess (Brian Boyle and that's mainly because he's a big guy) with the fundamentals, which most NHLers aren't, the phrase is, "You can't teach speed." And as for strength, Tavares isn't a big guy. He's 6 ft 195 lbs. Very average.