HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christian Thomas signs 3 year ELC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
  #176
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
There's a reason everyone always looks good with Stepan
Seriously. Stepan's such a special player, imo. I have yet to see him not make his line-mates look great. Once he does that at the NHL level it'll be great.

(Hopefully?)

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:46 AM
  #177
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Just throwing this out there.

Supposedly Thomas and Stepan were hooked up at Traverse City and were very good together.

Grachev and Kreider also have chemistry with Stepan.

Thomas is a RE but he sure would look good taking feeds on the LW from Stepan. Let him use the quick one-timer.
looking a couple years into the future, a kreider-stepan-thomas line would be great. don't see it this year but would love to see it down the road

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
  #178
gogensgo
Registered User
 
gogensgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Just curious if you have watched Thomas play? I have not so it would be interesting to hear your take on Thomas.

All is see is great stats for a 3rd year junior player with great You tube videos. Seriously, Gordie Clark is a great scout and he would not have drafted Thomas in the 2nd round if he did not believe Thomas can make it in the NHL. Thomas looks to be on a path headed right into the NHL and real soon.
I am a long time Oshawa Generals STH so I've had the opportunity to see the players like Tavares, Clutterbuck, Eager, Del Zotto, Neuverth, and now Thomas over the years and a lot of games as they pass thru and also pre-Junior given the area of the country I live in. Christian is often compared to his father due to his size but his features are more like his mother than his father. People also forget that he is playing on a purely offensive team with other talented players and where 2 way play isn't a highly touted value (another 3 min. of this year's team should go in the 1st/2nd round) and in a league with a lot of scoring and penalties. His current owner is also associated with the Rangers (Graves) which usually helps as well. You can't always predict the future but the players that end up being top calibre NHL players (top 4 D, top 6 Forwards) usually stand out in ways other than pure numbers after you've seen them enough and there have been tons of OHL'ers with huge numbers that don't pan out in the NHL and it usually isn't a surprise when you get to see them on a weekly basis.

If you're just looking for an offensive threat on the powerplay, then Christian can probably help you out there but I'm thinking you need a bit more than that out of a player.

As I said, I hope I am wrong and maybe I just haven't caught up to the way the 'new' NHL is working due to my age and that Christian works out to have a long career as he is a good kid from a good family.

gogensgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:38 PM
  #179
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
I am a long time Oshawa Generals STH so I've had the opportunity to see the players like Tavares, Clutterbuck, Eager, Del Zotto, Neuverth, and now Thomas over the years and a lot of games as they pass thru and also pre-Junior given the area of the country I live in. Christian is often compared to his father due to his size but his features are more like his mother than his father. People also forget that he is playing on a purely offensive team with other talented players and where 2 way play isn't a highly touted value (another 3 min. of this year's team should go in the 1st/2nd round) and in a league with a lot of scoring and penalties. His current owner is also associated with the Rangers (Graves) which usually helps as well. You can't always predict the future but the players that end up being top calibre NHL players (top 4 D, top 6 Forwards) usually stand out in ways other than pure numbers after you've seen them enough and there have been tons of OHL'ers with huge numbers that don't pan out in the NHL and it usually isn't a surprise when you get to see them on a weekly basis.

If you're just looking for an offensive threat on the powerplay, then Christian can probably help you out there but I'm thinking you need a bit more than that out of a player.

As I said, I hope I am wrong and maybe I just haven't caught up to the way the 'new' NHL is working due to my age and that Christian works out to have a long career as he is a good kid from a good family.
Good to hear your thoughts coming from someone who has watched Thomas play.

Yikes.. I hope he does not have his mother's features.. Actually, I am not sure what that quote means anyway. Sounds a little femme to me.. LOL

However, there is no denying that Thomas can just produce points. He seems to be those types of players who will produce at any level. Gordie Clark knows what he is doing.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:44 PM
  #180
gogensgo
Registered User
 
gogensgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Good to hear your thoughts coming from someone who has watched Thomas play.

Yikes.. I hope he does not have his mother's features.. Actually, I am not sure what that quote means anyway. Sounds a little femme to me.. LOL

However, there is no denying that Thomas can just produce points. He seems to be those types of players who will produce at any level. Gordie Clark knows what he is doing.
ha ha - no disrespect to Christian intended. What I meant was that he was slight in bone structure compared to Stumpy dad.

gogensgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:59 PM
  #181
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They're similar, though this was Thomas' third junior season. Hall and Seguin were elite players from the moment they first stepped onto the ice in the OHL. Over a point per game as rookies.

The for Thomas are certainly impressive, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Hall. And probably not Seguin, either.
Those 3 were more physically mature. Thomas started this season about 15-20 pounds lighter than Skinner did. Thats substantial for only a 2-inch difference. Thomas would have been a lot closer to Skinner's strength level from a year ago.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:54 AM
  #182
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers
 
Hanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,187
vCash: 500
So hyped for this kid.. Hes only 18 years old, that's room to add 1, 2 or 3 inches to him. If that's the case and gains alot of muscle hes going to be deadly. I would give this kid a year in the A to play with men with some NHL experience.

When a player that can skate well and has a cannon of a shot, you already know hes something special in the making.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:04 AM
  #183
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,910
vCash: 500
Awards:
He's not eligible for the AHL. It's either the NHL or back to Juniors.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
  #184
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's not eligible for the AHL. It's either the NHL or back to Juniors.
I guess that's why a lot of people are penciling him in on our team.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:26 AM
  #185
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
So hyped for this kid.. Hes only 18 years old, that's room to add 1, 2 or 3 inches to him. If that's the case and gains alot of muscle hes going to be deadly. I would give this kid a year in the A to play with men with some NHL experience.

When a player that can skate well and has a cannon of a shot, you already know hes something special in the making.
How many 18 year olds do you know who grew 2 or 3 inches? lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:59 AM
  #186
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How many 18 year olds do you know who grew 2 or 3 inches? lol
It happens, though if he could be a legit 5'10 and 180 lbs then that'd probably be good enough and probably more realistic.

Also curious as the assertion that he played on a high scoring team since at least in his draft year all I heard was that he was the only legitimately talented player.

All that said, talking about selling high on an 18 year old that just score 50+ goals and almost 100 points is a bit silly. I think he most definitely has work to do on his overall game but a lot of that stuff players can learn.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:06 AM
  #187
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It happens, though if he could be a legit 5'10 and 180 lbs then that'd probably be good enough and probably more realistic.

Also curious as the assertion that he played on a high scoring team since at least in his draft year all I heard was that he was the only legitimately talented player.

All that said, talking about selling high on an 18 year old that just score 50+ goals and almost 100 points is a bit silly. I think he most definitely has work to do on his overall game but a lot of that stuff players can learn.
He was the main offensive threat, but people saying he was the only scoring weapon for Oshawa were incorrect. Jensen, Jenner and Lessio are all being drafted in June, and potentially could all go ahead of Thomas. Andreoff is also a good OHL forward, and DeHaan and DeHart are good offensive defensemen.

It certainly wasn't a Grachev situation where he made up a big 3 with Duchene and Hodgson, but it's not like Thomas was carrying the team on his back.

Keeping him in the OHL next season would be quite enjoyable though. Oshawa is going to score a TON of goals.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:43 AM
  #188
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,442
vCash: 500
I was mainly thinking of his draft year, when Jenson and Lessio weren't around. Stats for the team that year weren't too hot, with Thomas being the only guy over a point per game.

Last year it looks like they had much more balanced scoring, which is nice.

At any rate, again I think we should not get too hyped up about Thomas, he definitely has a lot of work to do, but declaring him a bust already like one guy did seems a bit ridiculous, regardless of how many games he's watched.

An 18 year old who drastically improved his scoring over last years totals and who was second overall in the CHL in goal scoring, as well as almost putting up two points per game in the playoffs and he's probably a bust and won't transition to the NHL? Thomas may have a lot of holes and work to do in order to make the NHL, but you don't give up on an 18 year old who puts up those kind of points, you try to get him into your system as soon as it's feasible and you work with him on correcting the things that might hold him back.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:47 AM
  #189
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
Speaking purely out of selfishness, I hope he doesn't make the Rangers next year.

You may remember me as the guy who came here and asked what it you guys would want to acquire Christian. He's small, but I love what this kid brings to the table, night in, night out.

In the end the asking price would be too high, and I ended up giving everyone a bit of a scouting report on Thomas instead, as probably one of the few people in Oshawa who managed to attend every home game this year.

It'd be a real treat to have him wearing the Gens jersey again next year. Given his size, strength at this point, and the areas of his game that do need work, I think that'd be the proper development path anyway.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
  #190
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Thomas should get a look at camp and unless he impresses people to an unbelievable extent i think he should go back to juniors

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
  #191
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How many 18 year olds do you know who grew 2 or 3 inches? lol
I say we bribe a doctor into giving us x-rays of Ct and have the doc tell us if his growth plate is still there!!!

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
  #192
Noonansgoal
Registered User
 
Noonansgoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I say we bribe a doctor into giving us x-rays of Ct and have the doc tell us if his growth plate is still there!!!


Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
  #193
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
Beats guessing if he's gonna grow or not haha> And the fans have a right to know! We'll be paying his salary dammit! In fact i demand the Rangers site starts listing the growth potential of draft picks. Is McI going to maybe grow one more inch? I wanna know what his diet and health plans are too how much weight is he gonna gain? Oh and strength charts! Rabble rabble

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
  #194
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Thomas should get a look at camp and unless he impresses people to an unbelievable extent i think he should go back to juniors
I agree with this, he'll most likely head back to juniors. But I also would love to see him play well enough to earn a 9 game 'tryout' to start the year.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.