HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lecavalier Practice Ball

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2011, 05:08 PM
  #1
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 50
Lecavalier Practice Ball

Anyone used one before? Just picked one up for 5$. Seems pretty cool. Does it actually help stickhandling and whatnot? Or just another useless novelty

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:25 PM
  #2
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Are we talking about those wooden golf balls? If so, then yeah they help out a lot. At the end of the day it won't replicate that puck feel but in terms of working on your wrist movements and form, it works great.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:36 PM
  #3
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Anyone used one before? Just picked one up for 5$. Seems pretty cool. Does it actually help stickhandling and whatnot? Or just another useless novelty
Puckhandling a smart ball, golf ball, swedish ball, whiffle ball, ping pong ball, green biscuit all help in puckhandling. Practicing things like quick hands, expansion of reach, moves, will help and each ball, puck gives something different to figure out. Nothing magic about any ball but they all work something a little different


Last edited by UvBnDatsyuked: 05-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
  #4
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Puckhandling a smart ball, golf ball, swedish ball, whiffle ball, ping pong ball, green biscuit all help in puckhandling. Practicing things like quick hands, expansion of reach, moves, will help and each ball, puck gives something different to figure out. Nothing magic about any ball but they all work something a little different
USA Hockey has a web page with videos of about 20 stickhandling drills with a Swedish ball. I've seen great success with using these as an off-ice workout with my hockey teams and have improved my stickhandling skills myself. They are a little dated and bland, but still a great resource...

http://www.usahockey.com/template_us...av=co&id=19434

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:39 PM
  #5
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
USA Hockey has a web page with videos of about 20 stickhandling drills with a Swedish ball. I've seen great success with using these as an off-ice workout with my hockey teams and have improved my stickhandling skills myself. They are a little dated and bland, but still a great resource...

http://www.usahockey.com/template_us...av=co&id=19434


Come on. You should've seen that coming.

But seriously, I prefer the Swedish ball or the ball that has the weight of a puck. I use that when I play roller sometimes.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
  #6
jwitz04
Registered User
 
jwitz04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
definitely reccomend a stickhandling ball for when you're not on the ice, you'll be surprised by the results. if you watched the series 24/7 about the pens/caps it showed malkin warming up with a stickhandling ball before a game

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
  #7
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
definitely reccomend a stickhandling ball for when you're not on the ice, you'll be surprised by the results. if you watched the series 24/7 about the pens/caps it showed malkin warming up with a stickhandling ball before a game
Yea, Ive been using it for about a half hour every day over the weekend and Im already noticing Ive got a bit better speed stickhandling the puck. Nothing massive obviously, but a little faster.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,841
vCash: 500
I have a lot of them and they are all much better than nothing. My hands got a lot better after using Smart Hockey balls and golf balls. I don't like the wooden balls as much but again better than nothing. Haven't been able to get the Green Biscuit to slide at all so I don't use that.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.