HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lecavalier Practice Ball

Old
05-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Lecavalier Practice Ball

Anyone used one before? Just picked one up for 5$. Seems pretty cool. Does it actually help stickhandling and whatnot? Or just another useless novelty

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Are we talking about those wooden golf balls? If so, then yeah they help out a lot. At the end of the day it won't replicate that puck feel but in terms of working on your wrist movements and form, it works great.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:36 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Anyone used one before? Just picked one up for 5$. Seems pretty cool. Does it actually help stickhandling and whatnot? Or just another useless novelty
Puckhandling a smart ball, golf ball, swedish ball, whiffle ball, ping pong ball, green biscuit all help in puckhandling. Practicing things like quick hands, expansion of reach, moves, will help and each ball, puck gives something different to figure out. Nothing magic about any ball but they all work something a little different

Last edited by UvBnDatsyuked: 05-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Puckhandling a smart ball, golf ball, swedish ball, whiffle ball, ping pong ball, green biscuit all help in puckhandling. Practicing things like quick hands, expansion of reach, moves, will help and each ball, puck gives something different to figure out. Nothing magic about any ball but they all work something a little different
USA Hockey has a web page with videos of about 20 stickhandling drills with a Swedish ball. I've seen great success with using these as an off-ice workout with my hockey teams and have improved my stickhandling skills myself. They are a little dated and bland, but still a great resource...

http://www.usahockey.com/template_us...av=co&id=19434

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:39 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
USA Hockey has a web page with videos of about 20 stickhandling drills with a Swedish ball. I've seen great success with using these as an off-ice workout with my hockey teams and have improved my stickhandling skills myself. They are a little dated and bland, but still a great resource...

http://www.usahockey.com/template_us...av=co&id=19434

Come on. You should've seen that coming.

But seriously, I prefer the Swedish ball or the ball that has the weight of a puck. I use that when I play roller sometimes.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
jwitz04

definitely reccomend a stickhandling ball for when you're not on the ice, you'll be surprised by the results. if you watched the series 24/7 about the pens/caps it showed malkin warming up with a stickhandling ball before a game

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitz04 View Post
definitely reccomend a stickhandling ball for when you're not on the ice, you'll be surprised by the results. if you watched the series 24/7 about the pens/caps it showed malkin warming up with a stickhandling ball before a game
Yea, Ive been using it for about a half hour every day over the weekend and Im already noticing Ive got a bit better speed stickhandling the puck. Nothing massive obviously, but a little faster.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a lot of them and they are all much better than nothing. My hands got a lot better after using Smart Hockey balls and golf balls. I don't like the wooden balls as much but again better than nothing. Haven't been able to get the Green Biscuit to slide at all so I don't use that.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote