HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Post-Season Discussion. Update: Gauthier to meet with Meehan

View Poll Results: Do you think Wiz will sign with the Habs ?
Yes 25 29.07%
No 61 70.93%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
5M for 4y is a home town discount?..
With the season he has had and playoffs he is having...yeah it is...last year Hamhuis(4.5 mil) and Martin(5 mil) got about that as UFA's and they don't have his physical edge...I think his price right now is 5.5-6 as UFA and 4.75-5 in a home town discount.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:55 AM
montreal25m

Bieska

The playoffs he is having right now, he will get way over market value on the open market, something i don't think he is worth 5.5-6. He will get it though. He is inconsistent, often injured...I would stay way unless it was around 4 mill to 4.5.

The way I see it, try to keey Markov and Gill. Both great leaders, we need Markov just to mentor Yemelin for a year or two and make him feel comfortable. Gill, just a warrior and his presence on the PK is so valuable, especially on 5-3.

Starting defence:

Markov Yemlin
Gill Subban
Spacek Georges
Diaz/Weber

I would be very comfortable with that D corp going into next year...If we can get Markov at around 3 years 14 mill...Do it!

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
With the season he has had and playoffs he is having...yeah it is...last year Hamhuis(4.5 mil) and Martin(5 mil) got about that as UFA's and they don't have his physical edge...I think his price right now is 5.5-6 as UFA and 4.75-5 in a home town discount.
Bieksa was often paired with Hamhuis during the season, and Hamhuis is better. More reliable, and way more consistent.

So, you can take his salary as a basis. If Bieksa gets more than 4.49, the team he is playing with is going to be disappointed.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Bieksa was often paired with Hamhuis during the season, and Hamhuis is better. More reliable, and way more consistent.

So, you can take his salary as a basis. If Bieksa gets more than 4.49, the team he is playing with is going to be disappointed.
Well you can bank on Bieksa getting more than 4.5 if he hits UFA.

Old
05-20-2011, 10:24 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Quote:
Well you can bank on Bieksa getting more than 4.5 if he hits UFA.
I'd be ready to offer him 5.5mil on a 4/5 years contract... that's what we gave Hamrlik, when we think about it... and he was older.

I just really like the idea of Bieksa paired with Markov.

...but I do think that with the playoffs he's having... he's going to get re-sign by the Canucks.

That should free up Ehrhoff or Salo (he's fragile, but for 1 year, he might be a good stop gap)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'd be ready to offer him 5.5mil on a 4/5 years contract... that's what we gave Hamrlik, when we think about it... and he was older.

I just really like the idea of Bieksa paired with Markov.

...but I do think that with the playoffs he's having... he's going to get re-sign by the Canucks.

That should free up Ehrhoff or Salo (he's fragile, but for 1 year, he might be a good stop gap)
When we signed Hamrlik we were desperate for a #2 behind Markov, I think we can be a bit more patient this time. Bieksa for his great play recently, has also had rough patches, they signed Hamhuis and traded for Ballard anticipating him being odd man out, so he wasn't high on the pecking order at that point.

I think you are right on Salo, they will try hard to keep Ehrhoff and Bieksa and let Salo walk.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Good point... but I like Bieksa physical play and nastiness... not too many players would run into Price with Bieksa around.
odd...

because im pretty sure i see players run into 7ungo all the time

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Your assesment is a bit off IMO because you seem to see his size as better than Martin, Hamhuis, and even Michalek's play. This is a matter of perception, as Bieska can't do what they do, but he can also hit, which they can't do as much. The reason Bieska won't get much more than these three is because his defensive play is erratic, and it's not one playoff year that's gonna change this, as Bieska had similar sequences before, only to go back into error-mode for some time. His defensive play is not on par with these guys. For these reasons, he won't get further than 5 mil, just like they did. All those Ds do have something in common. There all missing one aspect or another to be considered complete enough to get higher than 5 mil, Bieska included. I'd be really surprised if he gets higher than 5 mil on the market. If it's ever the case, Ehrhoff'll easily get 6.

The market doesn't work linearly like that anyway. It all depends on what the player is aiming, a good team? Mo' money? Both? And for this, I'll give you that about Bieska, he looks like a guy willing to go for the big bucks and might just be aiming for something higher than 5 mil even if he's not worth that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:22 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
odd...

because im pretty sure i see players run into 7ungo all the time
I think you're being a little to carried away by Luongo's embellishement... like the Eager panality after his goal... come on, he barelly touch him and Luongo made it look like he got killed.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
When we signed Hamrlik we were desperate for a #2 behind Markov, I think we can be a bit more patient this time. Bieksa for his great play recently, has also had rough patches, they signed Hamhuis and traded for Ballard anticipating him being odd man out, so he wasn't high on the pecking order at that point.

I think you are right on Salo, they will try hard to keep Ehrhoff and Bieksa and let Salo walk.
Either Bieska or Ehrhoff would mean a long term contract.

Vancouver better be sure about what they will do, because it will directly impact the many signings they'll have in the next two years:

Raymond (2012), Samuelsson (12), Malhotra (13), Burrows (13), Higgins (2011), Torres (2011), Lapierre (2011), Edler (13)

How much is Edler gonna be asking in two years time?

Will vancouver settle for having a top 4 of Ehrhoff-Edler-Hamhuis-Ballard that will cost around (and maybe over) 19-20 mil with all those other contracts to sign?

The nucks better hope both Edler and Ehrhoff accept a significant hometown discount. Or else, expect both Ehrhoff and Bieska to walk away, while Salo could be signed for much less.

I'm not sold on which path they'll take, but Ehrhoff is definetly not a sure stay, no matter if Vancouver likes him a lot. A bit like Wiz with the Habs.

Mind you, Vancouver could always try to trade Ballard and sign Ehrhoff. Just saying, they have a lot of thinking to do before they decide to sign him.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hamhuis and Martin are better than Bieksa. It's not like Bieksa is as good as they are + more physical.
Also, he didn't have that good of a year. There were many rumors sending him out of town remember??..He also missed 16games.
If Bieksa can get up to 6M as an UFA, how much will Ehrhoff make? 7M??? No way.

Bieksa at 5M is already an overpayment.
Datsyuk at 6.7, Zetterberg at 6, Franzen at 3.9, those are hometown discounts.
A discount for Bieksa would round up to 4M-4.25M at the most.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
neofury*

I have to agree. Discounted Bieksa would look something like this.

4yr 16 million. Maybe at most 17 million.

5 million is what he'll get on the market imo, 5.5 at most I'd say.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have to agree. Discounted Bieksa would look something like this.

4yr 16 million. Maybe at most 17 million.

5 million is what he'll get on the market imo, 5.5 at most I'd say.
I agree that's likely his worth, but I can see someone paying a premium to get him, GM's act stupidly every year.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Speculation about signing expensive free agents depresses me, especially since none of the names mentioned in this thread excites me. I have my own wish. I'd like one or more of the players the Habs select in the upcoming draft to make the team immediately. Such things happen occasionally. Why does it have to happen with the Bruins? It's as though they buy a raffle ticket and win a new car with it, and I'm not just talking about how they snookered the Leafs in the Kessel trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Your assesment is a bit off IMO because you seem to see his size as better than Martin, Hamhuis, and even Michalek's play. This is a matter of perception, as Bieska can't do what they do, but he can also hit, which they can't do as much. The reason Bieska won't get much more than these three is because his defensive play is erratic, and it's not one playoff year that's gonna change this, as Bieska had similar sequences before, only to go back into error-mode for some time. His defensive play is not on par with these guys. For these reasons, he won't get further than 5 mil, just like they did. All those Ds do have something in common. There all missing one aspect or another to be considered complete enough to get higher than 5 mil, Bieska included. I'd be really surprised if he gets higher than 5 mil on the market. If it's ever the case, Ehrhoff'll easily get 6.

The market doesn't work linearly like that anyway. It all depends on what the player is aiming, a good team? Mo' money? Both? And for this, I'll give you that about Bieska, he looks like a guy willing to go for the big bucks and might just be aiming for something higher than 5 mil even if he's not worth that.
You can't compare this year's Martin with this year's Bieksa because Martin got that 5 mil/year contract coming off a down and injury filled year, while Bieksa becomes a uFA coming off possibly the best year of his career(playoffs and reg season). Bieksa has a toughness aspect that the others don't.

Old
05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Viggo Mortensen
Gandalf the Grey

Is this the ''GM mode ''Habs'' thread''?

I thought this thread was about all the news we hear from the media like signings, rumors etc...

Not a ''Bieksa would look nice in a Habs Jersey'' thread

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:15 AM
BLONG7

Did PG and Meehan ever get the sit down to discuss Markov? No news is good news? Let's hope Meehan doesn't try to negotiate in the media stuff...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Kyosuke

Zach Parise

Is there any chance of us landing ZParise with all the turmoil surrounding Kovalchuk in New Jersey? Likely situations would involved; us not resigning Markov; making an offer in which, hopefully, both teams can consent to; changes to our top 6; Loss of futures and/or current prospects; etc.

Kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
They won't let go their best player.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote