HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Richards vs Jumbo

Old
05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I think that was part Thornton/part "first year after the lockout" effect. A lot of players had career years that year because of the new rules,more time and space, and more penalties being called. Cheechoo, Gionta, Blake, Prucha to name a few.
He had 2 good seasons playing with Thornton 56 and 37, he had 7 goals in 24 games in 05-06 prior to the Thornton trade..are you saying Thornton as a playmaker had nothing to do with that?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
He had 2 good seasons playing with Thornton 56 and 37, he had 7 goals in 24 games in 05-06 prior to the Thornton trade..are you saying Thornton as a playmaker had nothing to do with that?
No, I'm saying Thornton was partly responsible. He made him a 30 goal scorer, the 50+ plus year was an aberration due to the new rules that everyone was getting used to.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Richards for several reasons. He is a much more rounded player who understand there are two ends of the rink, not one. He's a much better big game player. And he understands life under Tortorella. Thornton is playing better in the playoffs this year but you can't ignore his long body of mediocre work on the big stage.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I fail to see what 2004 has to do with anything considering Thornton was still playing for the Bruins...
I said they, as in the team.

however, I see your point, its an irrelevant date/stat

Last edited by Hobgoblin Steve: 05-22-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
You play for the results in post season not regular season. Pass on Jumbo. He's a real Dumbo come playoffs. Richards has shown he can play when it matters most. Easy choice.
yeah...hows that working out with Chris Drury and Scott Gomez? i've heard this stupid ass argument before. You guys didnt convince me then, you wont convince me now.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:55 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
You play for the results in post season not regular season. Pass on Jumbo. He's a real Dumbo come playoffs. Richards has shown he can play when it matters most. Easy choice.
You need results in the regular season to make it to the post season

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yeah...hows that working out with Chris Drury and Scott Gomez? i've heard this stupid ass argument before. You guys didnt convince me then, you wont convince me now.
There still are people who think that Drury and Gomez are on the same plane as Richards?

That's as much a legit comparison as people who equate Drury/Gomez with Thornton.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Richards for several reasons. He is a much more rounded player who understand there are two ends of the rink, not one. He's a much better big game player. And he understands life under Tortorella. Thornton is playing better in the playoffs this year but you can't ignore his long body of mediocre work on the big stage.
Thornton has become an excellent defensive centerman. I would say he's better than Richards in that facet.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:27 PM
gotmonte

Richards HANDS DOWN. Hands up. Hands however you like them good sir.

Richards all day long

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Thornton has the edge, overall, but it's a lot closer than people think. Richards has never been a big name like Thornton, and even when he won the Cup and the Conn Smythe, in some ways, he was less recognized than Lecavalier and St. Louis. But people just don't give his game the respect it deserves.

Thornton is bigger and stronger, which is a big asset to him, but as far as skills and hockey IQ go, it's very similar between the two. I think Richards might be the more creative playmaker, but Thornton has this ability to simply keep the puck away from defenders long enough to eventually make an easy pass to someone. That's not to say that Thornton can't thread passes, but more of his assists come on simpler plays that are available to him because people just can't separate him from the puck.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Thornton is awesome, but I just can't ignore his playoff track record. We'd run this guy out of town if he played here.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Jumbo is a great 2 way player at this point. There are few better as a pure set up man. It's sure unclear what SJ would want in return should they decide he's no longer the answer.

I would take Jumbo over Richards. I would never base it on the coach because coaches get fired. Espe is Lu coaches who fail to win.

I guess I'd go roster player, prospect, pick

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
There still are people who think that Drury and Gomez are on the same plane as Richards?

That's as much a legit comparison as people who equate Drury/Gomez with Thornton.
ppl tried to argue that Blowmez and Captain Cardboard were worth the money we signed em for because of their clutch playoff abilities. we've made the playoffs all but 1 of their years here and they havent done SQUAT. Blowmez is gone, and "I wont let it ruin my Christmas Drury" is going to be bought out.

I dont weight playoff performance over on ice play. Thornton is a machine, id take him on my team any day of the week.

Old
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I would take Thornton, definitely. Not a knock on Richards by any stretch. In fact I'd take Richards offensively and probably on pure defense too. But Joe Thornton just has that extra ingredient. His size, his grit, his heart, his strength, his physicality. Not that Richards can't play that game, but certainly not at the level Thornton can. Thornton is a lion. When he wants to get somewhere no one man is standing in his way. If you can contain Richard's skill, that's pretty much it. If you contain Thronton's skill, he'll shovel garbage, he'll agitate, he'll find away.

Overall Richards I think has more skill, but Thornton's game just has more relish on it. That's why I prefer Joe.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I would take Thornton, definitely. Not a knock on Richards by any stretch. In fact I'd take Richards offensively and probably on pure defense too. But Joe Thornton just has that extra ingredient. His size, his grit, his heart, his strength, his physicality. Not that Richards can't play that game, but certainly not at the level Thornton can. Thornton is a lion. When he wants to get somewhere no one man is standing in his way. If you can contain Richard's skill, that's pretty much it. If you contain Thronton's skill, he'll shovel garbage, he'll agitate, he'll find away.

Overall Richards I think has more skill, but Thornton's game just has more relish on it. That's why I prefer Joe.
But if we're not going to use playoff performance we can't use heart either, because then I can just say "if he had so much heart he wouldn't constantly fold in the playoffs."

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But if we're not going to use playoff performance we can't use heart either, because then I can just say "if he had so much heart he wouldn't constantly fold in the playoffs."
He's alot better in the playoffs than he gets credit for. He had two really bad playoffs with Boston when he was young. Since then he's just under a point per game.

Old
05-22-2011, 05:27 PM
ecemleafs

Richards doesn't cost assets so Richards every day of the week.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Id take Thornton over Richards any day of the week if they were both free agents. However Richards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thornton - assets required to get him.
what he said...

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
He's alot better in the playoffs than he gets credit for. He had two really bad playoffs with Boston when he was young. Since then he's just under a point per game.
He's had a few stinkers with San Jose too. This year, better but just not a reliable big stage player. At the Olymipcs he pretty much was relegated to opening the gate on the bench.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
He's had a few stinkers with San Jose too. This year, better but just not a reliable big stage player. At the Olymipcs he pretty much was relegated to opening the gate on the bench.
Funny you mention Thornton at the olympics...Brad Richards wasn't even on that team.

Old
05-22-2011, 07:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Funny you mention Thornton at the olympics...Brad Richards wasn't even on that team.
One of the biggest slights, considering Brad was outperforming a ton of members on the roster when they did selections. Not to mention Brad has 1 less point in 7 less Olympic games played.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:32 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
My first thought.

You can't pick Richards *just* because he's had a couple of good playoffs. Despite the notion to downplay it, the regular season, in fact, does matter.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:48 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
My first thought.

You can't pick Richards *just* because he's had a couple of good playoffs. Despite the notion to downplay it, the regular season, in fact, does matter.
richards has more regular season points the past two seasons anyways. its not like were talking about a guy that only shows up in the playoffs. richards has been a point per game in the regular season since the lockout as well.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Thornton feeding Gabby would a dream come true. Not going to happen unfortunately
Seriously. Thornton turned Johnathan ****ing Cheechoo (Chee-who?) into a 50-goal scorer--imagine what he could do for Gabby

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
richards has more regular season points the past two seasons anyways. its not like were talking about a guy that only shows up in the playoffs. richards has been a point per game in the regular season since the lockout as well.
last 2 seasons yes. last 3, 4, 5, 6....etc seasons? no.

and its not like Richards is blowing Thornton away either, their point differential is 9 points over that time span.