HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
05-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Kari Takko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancompanion View Post

Assuming Nashville moves to SE division as many are speculating, Geographically Minnesota should be in the central over Dallas, and its not even close.
Thank you.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Sounds like the NHL is working on 2 possible schedules... one if the Thrashers move and one if they don't. I'd assume the one with the thrashers moving would be changes that have the least amount of side effects... ie a quick/simple fix for now...

That means only one answer... Nashville, Winnipeg and Minnesota would be the only teams changing divisions. Any other scenario would mean many more changes, thus no where near as neat and clean and quick.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Actually, Winnipeg would most likely play their first season in the Southeast Division.

With the Coyotes being relocated next year (very possible), the NHL would wait before making divison changes.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Actually, Winnipeg would most likely play their first season in the Southeast Division.

With the Coyotes being relocated next year (very possible), the NHL would wait before making divison changes.
As I said, the rumor has it the NHL is working on 2 schedules... my statement is based on that. If you think about it, it's not so hard to believe with such a painless move of divisions as that would be.

Besides, if this is happening... it's not like the NHL didn't have the foresight on this. They would have been in discussions with the potential buyers from day one as well... and thus they could have planned well ahead for this.

I personally don't think the NHL would make Winnipeg play in the southeast if only for one season anyway... JMO.

Old
05-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Canadian media really can't stop talking about the whole Atlanta/Winnipeg situation now. I think Winnipeg playing in the SE for 1 season makes sense.

Also, I'm kinda tired to hear about that especially when there's no deal yet..

Old
05-21-2011, 01:34 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Canadian media really can't stop talking about the whole Atlanta/Winnipeg situation now. I think Winnipeg playing in the SE for 1 season makes sense.

Also, I'm kinda tired to hear about that especially when there's no deal yet..
You and I will have to agree to disagree on what "makes sense" in this situation...

Also... no deal publicly... but the globe & mail in Winnipeg (which is owned by one of the owners in the True North Sports ownership group) is saying a deal is done.

True North Sports and the NHL are denying it... but the NHL is NOT denying that the Thrashers may be moving if something doesn't get done locally SOON.

Neither side will admit an actual deal until it becomes official.

Old
05-21-2011, 04:02 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

The possibilities of the Yotes moving is remote at this point.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:01 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Here a Nice Read on the situation...

The new Winnipeg team moves to the Northwest. The Columbus Blue Jackets slide into Atlanta's old spot in the Southeast. And the Wild replace Columbus in the Central.

At first glance, it appears as if Nashville is the Central Division team best suited to move to the Southeast. But unlike Nashville, Columbus is in the Eastern Time Zone, the same as the other Southeast teams. That's a big deal in terms of TV schedules and travel.

Of course, everything is subject to change. But this particular scenario makes so much sense that, according to a couple of people with knowledge of the situation, even the league sees it.

If everything does fall into place, the team that will squawk the loudest will be the Dallas Stars, who have been lobbying for years to move to the Central. Playing their road games primarily along the U.S. West Coast, the Stars' travel is almost as lousy as the Wild's. But the word is they are out of the picture. No other team either wants or is suited to move to the Pacific.

I guess what I'd say is: Geez, tough cookies. But enjoy the team. And Norm Green STILL sucks.

Certainly nothing definite will be forthcoming until after the playoffs. The NHL sort of embargoes league news until after the Stanley Cup Finals. The idea is not to distract from the league's showcase event.

Hey, everybody has waited a decade for this. If, in fact, it is going to happen, another few weeks won't make much difference.

Old
05-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not saying I WANT Dallas to move to the Central, I do want the Wild to move to the central. But if you look at a map and keep the four NW Canadian teams together, it's only logical to include Minnesota as it's closer to Winnipeg than Colorado, and neither Colorado nor Minnesota are all that close to anyone else.

If we're primarily going by time zones:

PST:
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim

MST:
Colorado
Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

CST:
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
St Louis
Nashville

EST:
Detroit
Columbus

From that, you might logically put Phoenix with the PST teams, Minnesota with the MST teams, and move one of Detroit/Columbus to the East.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:11 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm not saying I WANT Dallas to move to the Central, I do want the Wild to move to the central. But if you look at a map and keep the four NW Canadian teams together, it's only logical to include Minnesota as it's closer to Winnipeg than Colorado, and neither Colorado nor Minnesota are all that close to anyone else.

If we're primarily going by time zones:

PST:
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim

MST:
Colorado
Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

CST:
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
St Louis
Nashville

EST:
Detroit
Columbus

From that, you might logically put Phoenix with the PST teams, Minnesota with the MST teams, and move one of Detroit/Columbus to the East.
Winnipeg's CST.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Vancouver is terrible in the Pacific personally. That is a lot of travel. While Edmonton and Calgary are in a different time zone they are closer.

Phoenix is staying.

Move the Islanders.
Go look at the reports. Everything is signaling they are not moving divisions until 2012-2013 season because it is being heavily pushed to move Phoenix to Quebec City. And remember there has been many other reports out there which were promises to Detroit that if any team moved to the East, they were #1.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Fel 96
JFC

TSN made a map about if the Winnipeg team plays in the SE division next year.

http://twitpic.com/50nfyc

It's still possible.

Old
05-21-2011, 06:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Looks to me like they're pointing out how it would be such a horrible idea to even consider...

Old
05-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Well, that's what TSN and most of the Canadian media are reporting.

Wouldn't surprise me if I hear that on Tuesday during the announcement of the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg...

Old
05-21-2011, 11:57 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
A possible idea Nashville/Columbus to the Southeast Division, Winnipeg to the Northwest Division, Colorado to the Pacific Division, and Dallas to the Central Division may be in the way of your dreams, unfortunately. It's amazing how one relocation can change the divisions of 3 or 4 teams and give 3 or 4 divisions new outlooks, affecting teams who stayed put in divisions with new additions and subtractions.
I've heard some of the same rumblings which makes no sense what-so-ever. First, the NHL should be looking to keep geographical rivalries from other sports and Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota are all in the same MLB and NFL divisions. Like it or not this carry-over does have an impact on the NHL, fans develop a strong dislike for both the other cities when we compete against them in most pro sports.

Dallas shares no geographical identity with those cities in other sports other than when the Stars were here competing in the old Norris. Unfortunately for Dallas that geographical dynamic died when they moved the Stars down south.

I believe the Wild will eventually move to the central only when Phoenix moves to Quebec (yeah I believe that will be the next move). My idea for Western Conference Divisions was this:

Pacific
LA
Phoenix
San Jose
Anaheim
Vancouver

Mountain
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton
Dallas
Colorado

Central
Detroit
Nashville
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 05-22-2011 at 12:51 AM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You and I will have to agree to disagree on what "makes sense" in this situation...
Well, I'm just reporting what I hear and watch from the Canadian media.

Not that I agree with them but still, they are credible.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:18 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Minnesota's current combined travel within division - 5221 miles
Dallas' current combined travel within division - 5176 miles

Minnesota's projected combined travel in the central division (with Nashville moving to the SE) 2116 miles
Dallas' projected combined travel in the central division (with Nashville moving to the SE) 3772 miles

Old
05-22-2011, 03:40 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

What is Colorado's current miles?

Old
05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
What is Colorado's current miles?
Colorado's current combined travel within division - 4751 miles

Colorado's projected combined travel in the Pacific division (with Dallas moving to the Central) 4148 miles

Keep in mind, Colorado has said publicly that they do not want to move to the Pacific.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:08 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Leaving Phoenix out of the equation, I think this one will be decided by the Avalanche. If the Avs want to jump to the Pacific. Dallas will get the nod in the Central. If the Avs want to stay put, Minny gets to go the Central.

If realignment waits for Phoenix, I think your most likely final destinations are Phoenix, Kansas City, or Quebec. Maybe leadership emerges in Houston or Portland in the next 6-12 months, but probably not.

ATL-> WPG
PHX -> QUE

Actually makes things pretty interesting in the East. I'm guessing BUF/BOS would jump to the Atlantic. I'm not sure if Philly would be paired with Washington in the SE -or- maybe Crosby/Ovechkin in the same division. That would get pretty messy. The West would be easy, Winnipeg to the NW, COL to the Pacific.

ATL -> WPG
PHX -> KC

Colorado to the Pacific. Kansas City would get paired with the Blues in the Central. Preds/Jackets to the SE.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I think it is quite possible that in a few years time there may be Dallas moving to Hamilton talk on these boards. Their attendance is down in the bottom 5 for % of capacity, down there with the troubled franchises of Atlanta, Phoenix, CBJ, NYI. I don't think a move to the Central would do much to change that, whereas it would be a shot in the arm to the Wild.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I think it is quite possible that in a few years time there may be Dallas moving to Hamilton talk on these boards. Their attendance is down in the bottom 5 for % of capacity, down there with the troubled franchises of Atlanta, Phoenix, CBJ, NYI. I don't think a move to the Central would do much to change that, whereas it would be a shot in the arm to the Wild.
That's the most asinine thing I've heard in a while. Dallas is staying. They had ownership issues right now but they are fine. They've been fine.

Should we then move the Avalanche and the Devils as they've been low on attendance? Especially the Devils since they never can sell out their arena and they just got a new one...

Old
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Hicks bad finances has screwed over Stars

That is why there attendance has dropped (They are not spending alot of money on talent or promotion/advertising)

The Stars wont be moving given there success , Past strong fanbase and the growth in hockey in Dallas region

Also you are kidding yourself if you dont think moving into division with Hawks and Red Wings wouldn't help the Stars

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

There's absolutely no scenario where it makes more sense for Dallas to move to the Central before the Wild.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
There's absolutely no scenario where it makes more sense for Dallas to move to the Central before the Wild.
Yes there is.

Right now, the West covers 3 time zones and has two teams that simply do not fit the current standings; Dallas and Colorado.

Now, you have to consider both travel distance and time zone. Both play a major factor for a team. Vancouver would not want to move to the Pacific given all of their teams are so far South. It might a feasible solution in the future but for now, with Edmonton and Calgary, they have a small travel to two rival teams and only one time zone.

Dallas has a huge travel AND two time zones to cover with the majority of their rivals (Phoenix I think is mountain).

Colorado has a huge travel distance and two rival teams in the same time zone.

What would make sense would move Colorado to the Pacific with Phoenix (Mountain Time) and the California teams (LA, Anaheim, SJ). They will cut their travel distance by a lot and only travel one time zone.

Now that would leave a team open in the Northwest and an extra in the Pacific.

If Atlanta does indeed move to Winnipeg, the only logical conclusion would be to move them to the Northeast taking over the spot vacated by Colorado.

Minnesota gets a closer team finally in the same time zone, it's not a great fit but neither is Dallas, which is the odd team out still. Dallas finally gets two team in their time zone (St. Louis and Chicago) and a strong rival in Detroit.

Minnesota moving to Central with Dallas and Colorado there makes no sense at all.

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 05-22-2011 at 02:58 PM.