HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stastny to Montreal

Old
05-22-2011, 05:41 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunbaba View Post
I guess the break from Stastny for spare parts threads was just too good to last.
this is probably going to spawn more leafs proposals too

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
What ? See Niemi who got to the WCF 2 times in 2 years

What Planet do you live on ?
Prior to the 2009-10 season he only played 3 NHL games, and didn't do very well, yet he wins the cup.

You're not trying to argue he was a proven NHL starter prior to 2009-10 are you?

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Are you forgetting how you got Price?
It was the year after the lockout. We made the playoff's before the lockout. We did not tank to get him. Get a clue bro.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Prior to the 2009-10 season he only played 3 NHL games, and didn't do very well, yet he wins the cup.

You're not trying to argue he was a proven NHL starter prior to 2009-10 are you?
Does that take his Stanley cup ring off his hand ? No. A goalie can come out of nowhere and play well and steal the Number 1 spot. What is your point ?

Old
05-22-2011, 05:47 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
It was the year after the lockout. We made the playoff's before the lockout. We did not tank to get him. Get a clue bro.
Yes, but he was picked #5th overall, compared to all Colorado's high picks, Duchene at #3.

Do you even read the thread to get any context?

Old
05-22-2011, 05:49 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
And teams with no proven number 1 goalies win what again ?

See Philadelphia Flyers.
Quote:
Does that take his Stanley cup ring off his hand ? No. A goalie can come out of nowhere and play well and steal the Number 1 spot. What is your point ?
That's the point.

Old
05-22-2011, 06:08 PM
NHL33*

I don't understand this thread. Why would the Habs want Stastny when they already have Gomez and Plekanec? That is a lot of salary down the middle. If Gomez is included in a trade that returns Stastny, a lot would have to be added -- it's unrealistic if not impossible. Similarly, Plekanec, who doesn't play a dissimilar style to Stastny's, wouldn't be added to a small package for Stastny -- it's a lateral at best move for Stastny, and the Avalanche would be better served keeping him unless Montreal adds big pieces, which they likely wouldn't.

Never mind what Colorado would want, why even bother with this discussion? I don't think the original proposal is bad in terms of "value" alone, but it's pointless.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Yikes.. this thread is a trainwreck.

Avs fans getting accused of overvaluing Staz basically, and then Habs fans do the samething to their players (understandable in both regards to be honest).

The Andy trade helped move us from #3/4 to #2 and we got the option to try out Elliot, not a bad decision all things considered.

Let's be real here, Stastny is a better center than anyone Montreal has, he's possibly even the best forward mentioned in this thread (depends on how you weight goal output with Cammalleri, as I do like his game, but mostly from when he was in Calgary)

Staz is a franchise center, unless franchise centers are suddenly better than a P/G guys. People can try and say he hasn't scored a ton of goals, but Staz is a playmaker. He makes everyone he plays with better. Acting like we're trying to pry Subban or Price or someone out of Montreal when a Habs fan made this thread trying to take Staz from us is sad.

We're just replying with what the value of Staz really is, not this distorted reality where Staz is no better than a 2nd line center because he had one bad year on the league's 2nd worst team.

We'll keep him unless someone wants to give us an offer we can't refuse.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Richie, seriously know when to fold your cards. Stastny is younger, around the same defensively, produces more with worse linemates. Cap-hit is justifiable as he's signed right into his prime years. 6.6 compared to 5mil is probably the only "downside" but you get what you pay for. And you started dissing their team while discussing trade proposals. Seriously?

Stastny + 3rd/4th for Plekanec + Pacioretty. Unless Avs GM is drunk.

I wouldn't do that from Montreal's side, but that's the way the negotiation would start.
Now your the one that's drunk. The slight advantage Stastny has over Plek is never worth Pacioretty in a million years.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
El_Loco_Avs

people need to realize with just about every team trying to trade for Stastny (apparantly ) that would drive up the price!!

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Other teams can offer Colorado something better than what Montreal can.

And I can promise that if Stastny is moved, it won't be for another center and it won't be for a pick lower than a first round.
The only way the Avs consider trading him is for a franchise goalie and a top pairing defenseman.

Oh, I'm not an Avs fan or a Habs fan.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The only way the Avs consider trading him is for a franchise goalie and a top pairing defenseman.

Oh, I'm not an Avs fan or a Habs fan.
He is not worth that much. Sorry

Old
05-22-2011, 06:26 PM
FF de Mars

I don't want to insult Colorado fans, but your proposals make the Habs a lesser team. I guess we're bad trading partners.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:27 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
so he's not getting traded, we really don't mind having him on our team

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
I think he meant "or" instead of "and".

Old
05-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
I could see something around a Signed Markov for him in a few years when Subban is really ready for the Number 1 D-Man spot.

Old
05-22-2011, 07:08 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I don't want to insult Colorado fans, but your proposals make the Habs a lesser team. I guess we're bad trading partners.
Yep, the Avs would want an established top-3 defense with potential and a top-potential goaltender for Stastny. The Avs really shouldn't be looking to trade Stastny, he's an established two-way 1st line center and I honestly do not think Duchene is ready to face the top checkers.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
chet1926

First off Montreal and Colorado are terrible trading partners. The Avs are looking for dmen or a goalie, which Montreal has but doesn't want to give up, and Montreal is looking for a top line center, but doesn't want to give up the dman or goalie Colorado wants.

The Montreal fans saying Stastny isn't a first line center, obviously have no clue whats going on in the NHL outside of Montreal land. I not going to put Stastny in the "elite" center category but he sure as hell is an all-star top 20 center in the league, and would automatically become Montreal's number 1 center.

All that being said I don't think Montreal has what it takes to get a deal done with Colorado for Stastny as Colorado is going to want a solid roster player a top prospect and 1st rd pick.

So Montreal is looking at something like:

To Col:
Cammalleri
Tinordi
(another mid-prospect)
1st rd pick

To MTL:
Stastny

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:01 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks CB Joe, but no I meant AND. Stastny is a legitimate two way #1 Center the scarcest commodity in the NHL today. There are maybe 20-21 of them and no more.

Goalies don't bring a large return and while top pairing defensemen are very valuable, their value pales in comparison to young #1 Cs.
Why do you think there are so many threads posted for Centers? There have been two legit #1 Cs traded in the recent past- Joe Thornton and Brad Richards. Both were distress sales and still brought back more than Habs fans offered in this thread.

I can only guess that many of the posters in this thread don't reflect the majority of Habs fans. It looks as if they think Avs fans are stupid and will trade Stastny for so little that Montreal has a very clear win in the trade.

Like I said, I am not a fan of either team, but I recognize the value of top line centers. I follow Philly and Columbus. Philly doesn't need a top line C. Columbus would send a lot for Stastny, but doesn't have the two pieces the Avs need.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
First off Montreal and Colorado are terrible trading partners. The Avs are looking for dmen or a goalie, which Montreal has but doesn't want to give up, and Montreal is looking for a top line center, but doesn't want to give up the dman or goalie Colorado wants.

The Montreal fans saying Stastny isn't a first line center, obviously have no clue whats going on in the NHL outside of Montreal land. I not going to put Stastny in the "elite" center category but he sure as hell is an all-star top 20 center in the league, and would automatically become Montreal's number 1 center.

All that being said I don't think Montreal has what it takes to get a deal done with Colorado for Stastny as Colorado is going to want a solid roster player a top prospect and 1st rd pick.

So Montreal is looking at something like:

To Col:
Cammalleri
Tinordi
(another mid-prospect)
1st rd pick

To MTL:
Stastny
lol yeah ok. i agree, stasny is a very good player...but cammy has 72 more goals and is only 3 years older + the equivalent of two firsts + a prospect? no ****ing way.
a top 15 LW in the league + maybe a 1st would suffice, not all of that. ridiculous.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
lol yeah ok. i agree, stasny is a very good player...but cammy has 72 more goals and is only 3 years older + the equivalent of two firsts + a prospect? no ****ing way.
a top 15 LW in the league + maybe a 1st would suffice, not all of that. ridiculous.
3 years older and yet he has only 63 more points than Stastny. At a 0.77 clip none the less.

Add two 15-20 overall firsts to Cammy and we'd still have to think about it because it isn't about 'fair value'.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Miller Time

bad fit all around.

- Statsny isn't close enough to being a big enough upgrade over Plekanec to be worth the Habs giving up the necessary assets to trade for him (and his 6.6M salary).

- Habs are stuck with Gomez, so there's no room to add Statsny's salary unless Gomez is going the other way, and i highly doubt the Avs would have any interest in that

- Statsny isn't worth a 6.6M$ cap hit... habs don't need to be trading away any more assets for an overpaid centre. Statsny's young enough that he will likely continue to improve, but still, he's not a 7M$ player (at least not unless Gomez is the measuring stick, in which case he'd be a 10M$ centre

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Zingbo2133

Quote:
I could see something around a Signed Markov for him in a few years when Subban is really ready for the Number 1 D-Man spot.
Ya because the avs would trade a player who would be around 28 in a few years for Markov when he is already injury prone and getting ip there in age

Zingbo2133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:42 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
So just because he has more goals in 3 more seasons, Cammy is the better player?

You do realize that in over the next 3 seasons, Stastny would only have to score 24 goals a season. Which he practically averages every year. And you do realize that Stastny already has more assists than Cammy in 3 less seasons (see 2 can play that game).

Cammy is a goal scorer and Stastny is more of a distributor. Two totally different styles. Plus not to mention Stastny is the far superior defensive player at 3 years younger.

In my proposal Stastny is the best player exchanging hands, the Avs aren't going to give him away. Thus Cammalleri (top 6 winger), Tinordi (a top defensive prospect) and a 1st is probably a fair trade for a 25 year old 1st line center who will give you 75pts and responsible defensive play.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

vCash: 50
Quote:
far too injury prone to take a chance on.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote