HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa's 6th overall pick

Old
05-22-2011, 07:22 AM
The King of Town

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I wonder what it takes for the caps to trade Semin in a package around the 6th overall pick?
You must be joking.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I think more likely is that Murray will look to swap picks with NJD or NYI than to trade the 6th for an established player.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:24 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Bryan Murray has gone on record as saying he wants a guy to play with Spezza well he has a very valuable peice to deal with if he chooses to do so that his being his 6th overall pick.

I am sure there are teams out therre that would LOVE to add the 6th overall pick and would pay a nice price to get it. Withg that is mind If ottawa decided to shop their 1st what could they get for it?
This is what the OP said. I am responding towards this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Really? you don't think the sens will be able to move up a few spots if they want to?(we have three 2nds and 21st overall) if there is a player that they really want, and is still available after colorado picks, they more then likely can move up if they so choose. Odds are at least one of New Jersey or the Isles will draft a defenceman(Hamilton or Murphy), so the sens will have a very good shot at one of Huberdeau,Couturier, or Landeskog if they do in fact choose to stay put at 6th. Not interested in Semin at all.
Of course they will be able to move up if they really wanted to. Any team can move up if they overpay. Now are the sens going to overpay to move up 1 or 2 spots? Maybe, but I don't think so. Unless one of the top end centres is converted to the wing then Landeskog is the guy the sens want to draft (if they want that winger for Spezza as the OP has said). As for not wanting Semin.. I think you're out of your mind. Yes I understand he is a ufa in 2012 but Semin on Spezza's wing would be quite deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
You must be joking.
The OP said the sens want a winger to play with Spezza.. I'm assuming that means a proven winger which Semin is. He came to mind.. there are other options of course but like I've said Semin on Spezza's wing would be deadly imo.

I am not saying the sens should trade their pick. I think they should draft with it. I also think that that pick will be Strome.. and in a couple of years he could be a very good piece.. but I can't see them drafting a guy with the 6th pick that makes an immediate impact at the NHL level, those guys will be gobbled up by the time Murray steps to the podium.

Anyone notice how skinny all these (North American) top end picks are this year.. might take a while for any of them to make any sort of an impact on the NHL level. Should be interesting.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:21 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Bryan Murray has gone on record as saying he wants a guy to play with Spezza well he has a very valuable peice to deal with if he chooses to do so that his being his 6th overall pick.

I am sure there are teams out therre that would LOVE to add the 6th overall pick and would pay a nice price to get it. With that is mind If ottawa decided to shop their 1st what could they get for it?
Ottawa's projected D-men are all 20 years old (Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch). Three of them have combined for 9 NHL games.

We have lots of potential 2nd and 3rd liners in the organization (and thanks to those in this thread that offered us more 2nd liners for our 6th overall pick )... but none have proven themselves as such. Right now our forward lineup is a distaster that isn't fixed by the addition of 1 expensive, near UFA addition. We would just be wasting the pick and the ability to draft a much needed potential top line forward for the rebuild.

Quote:
I think the sens draft with their pick after trying to move up a few spots and failing. The sens did get the short end of the stick though with the lottery. If they moved up or stood pat they would have had one of:

RNH
Landeskog
Larrson
Couturier
Huberdeau

But I think by the time they pick those players will all be off the table. They will still draft a decent player and who knows maybe one of those top 5 drops to sixth.

I wonder what it takes for the caps to trade Semin in a package around the 6th overall pick?
Hamilton is rated 5th by both CSS and ISS. The top guys in this draft are a part of a similarly rated tier of talent (such that Murphy could be picked top-5 pretty easily). Both of teams drafting ahead of us (NJ & NYI) have invested heavily on forwards over the past few years and have jack all for D-men in their organizations.

We would be just fine taking Strome or the guy who falls after NJ and/or NYI take a D-man.

Quote:
As for not wanting Semin.. I think you're out of your mind. Yes I understand he is a ufa in 2012 but Semin on Spezza's wing would be quite deadly.

The OP said the sens want a winger to play with Spezza.. I'm assuming that means a proven winger which Semin is. He came to mind.. there are other options of course but like I've said Semin on Spezza's wing would be deadly imo.
I've already mentioned the time specific problems this team has that would not be fixed with the addition of Semin and 1) that the more likely scenario in trying an "accelerated rebuild" is that we'd suck a little less in the short term, but never do anything of substance before losing Semin/Hemsky.

However,
2) Alex Semin... is not a winner and not a key player you build your team around.
3) Player agent Mark Gandler (Alexei Yashin's agent) has seemingly been blackballed from Ottawa... or at least that's what I gather seeing as how it's been almost 10 years since we've had another Gandler client (IIRC Rachunek & Schastlivy may have been the last ones).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Asquaredx2

The only trade I would do would be if the first five picks were RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Huberdeau and Couturier and some other team badly wanted a Hamilton/Murphy and was offering a forward prospect or young forward (think Jamie Benn, although I know he's not on the table) better than any forward we could pick at 6.

A) We don't need any defencemen. We have Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch, Gryba, Lee, Wideman and plenty more.

B) We don't need older forwards. Our core apart from Spezza is quite young and needs time to develop -- especially the d-men and Lehner. We're not ready to sacrifice any of the future for the present.

C) We don't need prospect depth. The problem with our forward prospect corps is that no one stands out as particularly exceptional. But we have some depth in Silfverberg, Butler, Petersson, Hoffman, Condra, Greening, etc. More importantly, we already have Nashville's 1st rounder, three 2nd round picks and a high 3rd round pick to acquire more depth behind the 6th over-all pick (and we have Spezza, Michalek, Foligno, Regin etc. as young-ish forwards already on the roster).

We need the best young forward possible. Not a package.

Asquaredx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
The OP is a Leafs fan, like you.

Would you trade both your first round picks for one year of UFA-to-be (and flight risk) Alex Semin? No?

Now do you think we would trade the 6th pick for both of your first rounders? Let me save you the trouble, no we wouldn't.

Do the math.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:24 PM
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDDY View Post
re-signed Stafford or Ennis + Sabres 1st round pick?
Ennis+1st, done.

Ennis is amazing.

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
The OP is a Leafs fan, like you.

Would you trade both your first round picks for one year of UFA-to-be (and flight risk) Alex Semin? No?

Now do you think we would trade the 6th pick for both of your first rounders? Let me save you the trouble, no we wouldn't.

Do the math.
Of course not. I was simply replying towards the op's thoughts. I say the sens draft with their pick if they can't move up. But that doesn't solve the problem of "a guy to play with Spezza". Again I am assuming that is meant to be a 30 goal scorer seeing how the 6th would be in play.

What winger would you want for a straight trade of the 6th overall pick 2011?

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Bergeron37Orr4

Quote:

I am sure there are teams out therre that would LOVE to add the 6th overall pick and would pay a nice price to get it. Withg that is mind If ottawa decided to shop their 1st what could they get for it?

Would you consider the Bruins #9 and Hamill and Arniel for the #6? (hopefully Sean Couturier falls to #6)

Bergeron37Orr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37Orr4 View Post
Would you consider the Bruins #9 and Hamill and Arniel for the #6? (hopefully Sean Couturier falls to #6)
I would want Couturier everyday of the week before having Hamill in the Sens prospect pool.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37Orr4 View Post
Not a chance. Although I don't expect Couturier to be available.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:12 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Even though this draft is weak, if we were to get Hemsky for the 6th, there would not only be potential of him walking for nothing at the end of the season, but if he got injured, he could play less than half of a season.

6th overall pick for Colin Wilson +
Why would the Preds have to add on top of Wilson?... If anything more would need to be heading the Preds way.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote