HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm - Ott

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2011, 01:32 AM
  #26
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?
 
Andre Benoit Bawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Not saying Cogs is great.

But Cogs +31 had Florida's 15th overall pick last year so he has some value.

Edmonton would be better of trading him for a 3rd or 4th and givng Stortini a qualify offer.

BTW I probably know more about the Sens than you.
And the Sens were offered a 2nd + Jimmy Howard for Neil. Looks like he has some value.

BTW I probably know more about grease than you.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:52 AM
  #27
Stick To Your Guns
Registered User
 
Stick To Your Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
And the Sens were offered a 2nd + Jimmy Howard for Neil. Looks like he has some value.

BTW I probably know more about grease than you.
What, when did this happen?

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:34 AM
  #28
tarrin8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Andrew Cogliano

Chris Neil

Both teams have expressed interest in both players in the past.. Edmonton was one of the few teams willing to give Neil a multi year contract when he was a Free Agent and Ottawa already traded for Cogliano before. I'm sure most Oilers fans would be on board with it, what do Sens fans think?
NO DEAL we need Neil more , cogliano will only be fighting for a 4th/3rd line spot doesnt help us!

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:49 AM
  #29
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666
 
internetdotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Capital O
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Andrew Cogliano

Chris Neil

Both teams have expressed interest in both players in the past.. Edmonton was one of the few teams willing to give Neil a multi year contract when he was a Free Agent and Ottawa already traded for Cogliano before. I'm sure most Oilers fans would be on board with it, what do Sens fans think?
No from the Sens. Neil is a heart and soul guy, a Sen through and through, and is needed to protect our rookies, as Lessard will be gone, and Zach Smith and Carkner can only do so much. Neil is the kind of guy that helps you win in the playoffs (once we get back there), as he leaves 100% on the ice every shift. He's a less skilled version of what Mike Fisher used to be. Plus, he showed loyalty to the team when he was UFA, turning down multiple, more lucrative offers from other teams to remain a Sen. So you think that the Sens should reward that loyalty to try to force him to a team that he's already indicated that he does not want to go to? That :

a) wouldn't work (due to the NTC)
b) doesn't look very good to fans and other players

That is not how the Sens became known as one of the classiest organizations in the league in terms of how they treat their players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Chris Neil is garbage.

He was decent 3 or 4 years ago but he's a big puddy cat now.
As has previously been mentioned, Neil has a lot of value, and probably more than Cogs. If by 'he's a big puddy cat now', you are referring to him fighting less, I addressed that above. We need him on the ice, not in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Not saying Cogs is great.

But Cogs +31 had Florida's 15th overall pick last year so he has some value.

Edmonton would be better of trading him for a 3rd or 4th and givng Stortini a qualify offer.

BTW I probably know more about the Sens than you.
What is your reliable source on this? And no, speculation by a sports reporter is not a terribly reliable source. A direct quote by one of the GMs involved would be. And another bad season has lowered Cogs' value even more. He is not a top 6 forward. The Sens have a winger version of Cogliano in Ryan Shannon, and likely aren't re-signing him, so why would we trade a part of our heart and soul (and a fan favourite) in Neil for a guy that could well be behind all of Spezza (obviously), Da Costa, our 6th overall pick, etc on our depth chart?

Oh, and claiming you know more about the Sens than Sens fans, most of whom watch 75+ games a year (myself included), is clear trolling. You don't see us claiming we know any other team better than their own fans do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
haha.

Do you remember in the playoffs like 4 years ago when Gary Roberts hit someone from behind and then he was roughing up one of the Sens skilled players) Chris Neil had ahold of Crosby in a scrum at the exact same time and he just watched Gary Roberts do his thing and didn't even give Crosby a freaking face wash.

That's the type of player he is.

He plays with the "code". He doesn't scare anyone.
What?!? Are you really attacking Neil for playing (and fighting) with honour? That is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. So you would have more respect for Neil if he was a cheap player, taking cheap shots, a la Matt Cooke or Steve Downie?

Wow...

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
  #30
benr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 195
vCash: 500


Lays out stars, fights anyone, one of the only guys on the team who is always playing.

benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:45 AM
  #31
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Not saying Cogs is great.

But Cogs +31 had Florida's 15th overall pick last year so he has some value.

Edmonton would be better of trading him for a 3rd or 4th and givng Stortini a qualify offer.

BTW I probably know more about the Sens than you.
I'm pretty sure I heard that this rumor was false.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
  #32
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Cogliano gets undervalued by posters on these forums, especially oiler fans.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
  #33
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Cogliano gets undervalued by posters on these forums, especially oiler fans.
Agreed. Ideally, we bring in a better center for the third line checking/penalty kill, slide Cogs to wing, and be happy to have him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:15 AM
  #34
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
No thanks. And wow, don't feed that Greast Grinder troll.
Sorry, just because I don't get on my knees for Neil doesn't mean I'm a troll.

And calling someone a troll is considered flamming and usually good for an intraction.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
  #35
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
cogliano?

thanks, but no thanks.


on second thought, ignore that first thanks.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:21 AM
  #36
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
What is your reliable source on this? And no, speculation by a sports reporter is not a terribly reliable source. A direct quote by one of the GMs involved would be.
Pretty much all of Tambellini's lackeys were saying Edmonton had a deal in place with Florida, Cogs + 31 for 15, but it was on the condition that Mcalrath (sp?) was available. When Rangers took him the deal was off.

Quote:
Oh, and claiming you know more about the Sens than Sens fans, most of whom watch 75+ games a year (myself included), is clear trolling. You don't see us claiming we know any other team better than their own fans do.
I didn't claim I knew more than sens fans, just the one guy that said I don't watch hockey and I only know hockeydb.

Quote:
What?!? Are you really attacking Neil for playing (and fighting) with honour? That is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. So you would have more respect for Neil if he was a cheap player, taking cheap shots, a la Matt Cooke or Steve Downie?
I would rather a cheap shot artist than someone who plays with the code. That doesn't mean I respect them... matt cooke is a peice of ****.. but players know when he is on the ice!

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
  #37
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 500
I'm not saying you want a team full of players that don't have respect but there is a time and place for everything and Chris Neil has ZERO gamesmenship.

Anyway, Sens fans seem a little to uptight about Ethan Moreau.. I mean Chris Neil so I'll give you guys be

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
  #38
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
I'm not saying you want a team full of players that don't have respect but there is a time and place for everything and Chris Neil has ZERO gamesmenship.

Anyway, Sens fans seem a little to uptight about Ethan Moreau.. I mean Chris Neil so I'll give you guys be
All Sens fans love Chris Neil. He is a significant part of our rebuild. He plays with his heart on his sleeve,is still one of the toughest guys in the league, and leaves it all out on the ice every game. What the heck does Ethan Moreau have to do with anything?



.....I always find it entertaining when little posters like these come out to play every so often.


Last edited by Shanny: 05-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
  #39
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666
 
internetdotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Capital O
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
I would rather a cheap shot artist than someone who plays with the code. That doesn't mean I respect them... matt cooke is a peice of ****.. but players know when he is on the ice!
If every player were a cheap shot artist, there would be no players left to play!
And how can you say you'd rather have a cheap shot artist in one breath, then totally contradict yourself in the next by calling Cooke a piece of **** ? So then you are saying Neil is worse than a piece of **** ? Well, I guess the NHL GMs that chased him at the deadline a couple of years ago, and those chasing him as a UFA are totally out to lunch, huh? Yeah, I guess a random kid troll on an internet message board has more hockey smarts than seasoned NHL GMs, huh?

Try turning on a sportscast sometime. There is a reason the NHL is trying to get rid of these cheap hits... because its killing the game!

Then again, I'm sure you are just trolling, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time on your posts.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
  #40
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Cogliano gets undervalued by posters on these forums, especially oiler fans.
I agree. He's never going to be able to win a faceoff but he still had a decent season after a slow start. After Christmas Cogliano had 27 points in the final 50 games. That's about a 45 point pace. He brings a great attitude to the team. He's trying to re-invent himself as a 3rd line player. In his rookie season he had 25 hits. This season he had 89. Hardly a physical player but he's looked in the mirror and realizes he needs to finish his checks. He's defensively reliable and can kill penalties...plus he brings some offense when given a chance. He averaged 55 seconds per game on the powerplay this season. All but 5 of his points came at even strength.

Faceoffs are a huge weakness for him but in general I think he's being underrated.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
  #41
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?
 
Andre Benoit Bawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley Allstar View Post
What, when did this happen?
First deadline after the cup run. It was being discussed at the least, and we got similar offers elsewhere. Of course, at this point Howard wasn't looked at as a legitimate option as a starter yet.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
  #42
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,451
vCash: 50
The last thing the Oilers need is Chris Neil on the team. The Oilers need more talent not less

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
  #43
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator
 
SensAreReligion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Fellow sens fans will hate me but.....

I like it. IDK why but i like cogs.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
  #44
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,275
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSpezza19 View Post
Fellow sens fans will hate me but.....

I like it. IDK why but i like cogs.
From the 20 Oilers games I've watched this year, I've come to the quick conclusion that Cogliano cannot put the puck in the net.

With that being said, Neil can't either.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
  #45
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
We really don't need Cogliano. Not only to we have guys like Da Costa and Regin fighting for the second and third line center jobs, but instead of trading an asset like Neil we could re-sign Shannon for virtually nothing. Similar players, Cogliano puts up ~10 more points a year.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM
  #46
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,563
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I agree. He's never going to be able to win a faceoff but he still had a decent season after a slow start. After Christmas Cogliano had 27 points in the final 50 games. That's about a 45 point pace. He brings a great attitude to the team. He's trying to re-invent himself as a 3rd line player. In his rookie season he had 25 hits. This season he had 89. Hardly a physical player but he's looked in the mirror and realizes he needs to finish his checks. He's defensively reliable and can kill penalties...plus he brings some offense when given a chance. He averaged 55 seconds per game on the powerplay this season. All but 5 of his points came at even strength.

Faceoffs are a huge weakness for him but in general I think he's being underrated.
Couldn't agree more with you. People seem to think that if he doesn't put up 60 points he's a bust... And that's exactly why I don't see him going anywhere(although I would like him to be converted to wing)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.