HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Zack Smith signs 2-year/one-way deal

Old
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I
Hard to judge Winnie, he was playing well before his injury, but when he came back he seemed less confident and his game consisted almost entirely of board battles.

If Winnie doesn't have a good camp, he may be replaced with JOB. Might be interesting to see a JOB, Daugavins, Neil combo.
I like both winnie and smith. I hope they both get a spot. At this point, I'd still take Winnie, but it's pretty neck and neck.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
I assume this keeps him as an RFA when his contract is up. Love this guy, all heart and is a 4th liner that is simply not just a warm body in the line-up, he is a useful fourth liner. KInda weird to think though that he was the first 2008 pick to get a one-way deal and not Karlsson
Maybe it has something to do with Karlsson still on his ELC contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
Hopefully he turns out to be Chris Kelly 2.0 with Chris Neil's fighting ability. Some offense would be nice too.

I'm not as confused with this signing as much as the Greening one. That one just makes no sense to me.
You have to realize that Zack Smith and Colin Greener are older than conventional prospects. Smith is 23 and Greening is 25. It's more a normal situation for Smith, who finally deserved a regular spot but it was now or never for Greening.

Foligno-Da Costa/Regin-Condra (3rd line)
Greening-Winchester-Smith : awesome 4th line

I'm surprised about the Greening signing but it means that the Sens brass really believe in him, or he would have been signed only for 1 year. Greening is probably signed around 800K$ and it could become a "profitable" cap hit fast enough.

EDIT : Yep, Greening cap hit is 816 K$

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
At what, winning board battles and having no clue what to do with the puck? Winchester isn't better at all.
in the playoffs a year ago, winchester was very good and noticeable on almost every shift (only as a 4th liner, but that is his role). Smith was not. Smith is younger and has room to improve, but at this point i'm not a huge fan.

I was never that crazy about Winchester either, but i did notice that before he got injured, he was skating down the middle and driving toward the net shooting a lot more.
Hard to say whether it is worth keeping winchester around anymore. Depends on how improved smith is and who else steps up.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
in the playoffs a year ago, winchester was very good and noticeable on almost every shift (only as a 4th liner, but that is his role). Smith was not.
Smith showed more by fighting Talbot than Winchester did in the entire series from my point of view.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

You have to realize that Zack Smith and Colin Greener are older than conventional prospects. Smith is 23 and Greening is 25. It's more a normal situation for Smith, who finally deserved a regular spot but it was now or never for Greening.

I'm surprised about the Greening signing but it means that the Sens brass really believe in him, or he would have been signed only for 1 year. Greening is probably signed around 800K$ and it could become a "profitable" cap hit fast enough.

So you got Neil in the top 6 do ya? Maybe the Yakupov tank thread isn't so far fetched after all.

And as far as Winchester is concerned, he can replace Shannon as the 13th forward.

Kenny Bania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
As long as its cheap great! I want to see a Ben Eager out of this guy.
Me too, Boobies!!

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Neil?

Foligno Regin Condra
Greening Smith Neil
Winchester (13th forward)

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Smith showed more by fighting Talbot than Winchester did in the entire series from my point of view.
While I don't believe fighting is really an important differentiator, I do agree Smith has shown much more than Winnie.

Smith looked pretty good when he was playing 2nd line minutes in Ottawa before Jason's return from injury, and he has been a huge factor in the B-Sens success in the playoffs.

Murray basically stated yesterday that Smith will be playing third line minutes against the other team's top lines. He also felt Smith has some offensive upside, and at 23 was still developing.

Winchester really isn't better at anything when compared to Smith. He is also four years older. I really believe JOB might replace Winnie this year.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Neil?

Foligno Regin Condra
Greening Smith Neil
Winchester (13th forward)
Based on Murray's view of things, your fourth line is missing two player, Smith and Greening.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Winchester really isn't better at anything when compared to Smith. He is also four years older. I really believe JOB might replace Winnie this year.
Winchester still has a pretty awesome face-off % and even with Smith's improvement, Winnie was still clearly ahead of him.

However, Smith has been used noticeably more on the PK in his short time in Ottawa (especially considering the vet vs. call-up thing)... and Smith has almost as many goals in a 1/3rd as many games.

Regardless, Istill think we need both because we don't have a heck of a lot of forward depth right now.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Crawdinger

Zmith is my pet player on the sens, very glad he earned the 1 way
Perfect player for our lower decks
good faceoff, grit and determination
Can never replace Kelly but will probably assume his role

Crawdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdinger View Post
Zmith is my pet player on the sens, very glad he earned the 1 way
Perfect player for our lower decks
good faceoff, grit and determination
Can never replace Kelly but will probably assume his role
He could be better than Kelly. Were kelly was maybe faster, Smith is bigger and tougher exactly the type of players the Sens have been lacking in their bottom 2 lines when they were contending.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
He could be better than Kelly. Were kelly was maybe faster, Smith is bigger and tougher exactly the type of players the Sens have been lacking in their bottom 2 lines when they were contending.
Kelly was much smarter and a much smoother 2-way player than Smith because of it. Kelly was single-handedly propping up Ruutu and Neil into a 3rd line. I would just be happy if Smith held his own as our 3rd line centre and while I do like him, he's not there yet... and he'll probably never compare to Kelly as a 2-way player.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Kelly was much smarter and a much smoother 2-way player than Smith because of it. Kelly was single-handedly propping up Ruutu and Neil into a 3rd line. I would just be happy if Smith held his own as our 3rd line centre and while I do like him, he's not there yet... and he'll probably never compare to Kelly as a 2-way player.
Would you have said the same thing if someone said Chris Kelly would make a legit 3rd line out of a couple 4th liners back when he was 23? Thought Smith was very solid in his first NHL playoffs and it appears he's standing out again in another playoff appearance albeit at the lower level.

Kelly didn't become an everyday NHLer until 25. It's more likely at the age of 22-23 more people were debating on whether he'd ever make it.

In the end he may not have the hockey sense, but he's got loads more sand paper, physicality and I think he's got more offensive tools. He isn't a nice guy on the ice either...and we've had too many of those in recent years.r

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Would you have said the same thing if someone said Chris Kelly would make a legit 3rd line out of a couple 4th liners back when he was 23? Thought Smith was very solid in his first NHL playoffs and it appears he's standing out again in another playoff appearance albeit at the lower level.

Kelly didn't become an everyday NHLer until 25. It's more likely at the age of 22-23 more people were debating on whether he'd ever make it.

In the end he may not have the hockey sense, but he's got loads more sand paper, physicality and I think he's got more offensive tools. He isn't a nice guy on the ice either...and we've had too many of those in recent years.r
I would have told you that Kelly was going to be a 3rd liner earlier than 22-23, in fact I did repeatedly on this board after I watched every game of his first rookie tournie. His hockey sense and fluid 2-way play were clear from the beginning.

I like Smith and believe that he can be a good, physical 3rd line centre like a Dave Scatchard (who never plays for a team bad enough to occasionally make him #2). However, he doesn't have the hockey sense or skating to ever make up two linemates like Kelly did and will never be as good as Kelly... no matter how many people he hits or fights.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I would have told you that Kelly was going to be a 3rd liner earlier than 22-23, in fact I did repeatedly on this board after I watched every game of his first rookie tournie. His hockey sense and fluid 2-way play were clear from the beginning.

I like Smith and believe that he can be a good, physical 3rd line centre like a Dave Scatchard (who never plays for a team bad enough to occasionally make him #2). However, he doesn't have the hockey sense or skating to ever make up two linemates like Kelly did and will never be as good as Kelly... no matter how many people he hits or fights.
Yeah yeah I'm not disputing the projection of Smith more so just the stuff on Kelly, but fair enough. Just so many instances of guys saying this guy could never be as good as that guy...although when "that guy" was just starting out nobody thought much of him either.

Smith I expect will be a 3rd line player, one that can play center mostly because of his ability on the draw he's displayed thus far. He could play that role on a championship caliber roster, but really I'd say he's the ideal 4th line center. With teams trying to go to 3 scoring lines much more now, he's ideally on that 4th line...but that's not to dismiss how well he could be in that role. Every year depth players emerge as playoff studs and it seems like Smith rises to the occasion when it matters most.

Got a soft spot for players like him though, expect he'll learn to stay out of the box.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
4thliner*

It does not matter how fast or how smart Kelly is.

He is still got a pair of STONES for hands and he can't make plays nor is he physical. But he is excellent for what he does.

Just don't say Smith will never be as effective as Kelly was. A player with Kelly's skill set/style should be on your top 2 lines but his hands will never allow that.

Smith is more suited for 3rd/4th line role perfectly, and I think he wil still find a way to score Kelly's 10-12 goals at the end of the day and be a great PK guy (perhaps not as great as Kelly) but be better than Kelly in other areas like sand paper, physicality, and grit.

I am loving his ppg pace in a top 2 line center role for bingo in the playoffs.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

He is still got a pair of STONES for hands and he can't make plays nor is he physical. But he is excellent for what he does.

Just don't say Smith will never be as effective as Kelly was. A player with Kelly's skill set/style should be on your top 2 lines but his hands will never allow that.

Smith is more suited for 3rd/4th line role perfectly, and I think he wil still find a way to score Kelly's 10-12 goals at the end of the day and be a great PK guy (perhaps not as great as Kelly) but be better than Kelly in other areas like sand paper, physicality, and grit.

So far in the playoffs, gp, goals, assists, pts, shooting percentage:

Patrice Bergeron13 4 10 14 9.76%
Nathan Horton 15 6 7 13 17.14%
David Krejci 15 7 5 12 25.00%
Michael Ryder 15 5 6 11 19.23%
Brad Marchand 15 5 6 11 13.16%
Chris Kelly 15 4 6 10 19.05%

His hands aren't as bad as people who still call him "stone hands" think. His shooting percentage has been better than Ryder, bergeron, krejci over the last 2 years and about the same as horton's and spezza's for example.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 03:50 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Comparing Kelly and Smith are like comparing apples and oranges.

Kelly had excellent hockey sense and good speed. He has hands of stone, and when he is shooting the puck, it appears he is playing darts with the goalie's crest being the bull's eye. Excellent PKer.

Smith is Fisher lite at this point. Less speed, but similarly sized at the same developmental stage. Lots of grit and passion, and better shooting accuracy than Kelly. In fact, Smith has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer as a 3rd line forward. Potential to be an excellent PKer.

Zack Smith also appears to be a dumb hockey player - so I don't know if he would ever reach the Fisher like potential I see in him.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yeah yeah I'm not disputing the projection of Smith more so just the stuff on Kelly, but fair enough. Just so many instances of guys saying this guy could never be as good as that guy...although when "that guy" was just starting out nobody thought much of him either.

Smith I expect will be a 3rd line player, one that can play center mostly because of his ability on the draw he's displayed thus far. He could play that role on a championship caliber roster, but really I'd say he's the ideal 4th line center. With teams trying to go to 3 scoring lines much more now, he's ideally on that 4th line...but that's not to dismiss how well he could be in that role. Every year depth players emerge as playoff studs and it seems like Smith rises to the occasion when it matters most.

Got a soft spot for players like him though, expect he'll learn to stay out of the box.
We get both sides though. For example, we have more than enough people saying that it'll be easy to replace Fisher or whomever with any number of certain-to-be star prospects we already have. Actually, in some cases I think he's going to be better than Fisher and tougher and he's going to have a better looking girlfriend.

There were reason why we were a great team for a short period of time and it wasn't just the Cash line or Chara/Hossa. There were a lot of smart, hardworking, character, "do anything it takes to win" guys.

Those teams trying to play with 3 offensive lines... the ice time always works out the same as every team since the dawn of time. Forwards 7-8-9 in ice time are guys just like Draper, Kelly, Smith, Neil, Maltby, Talbot, etc. If they happen to find bodies like a Kyle Wellwood or something... those guys are barely on the roster.

Quote:

Smith will never be as effective as Kelly was. There's no shame in that. He'll certainly be better than Ruutu was and with some hard work on his speed... could be more valuable than Neil was in his prime. But he's just never going to be the 200 foot player that Kelly was.

Oh, and Kelly can actually make plays pretty well. That's why he was occasionally given offensive line time and it was because of his hockey sense and his patience. A lot of players rush the play or ignore their options... 2nd liners I'm taking about here. You didn't have that problem with Kelly and that's why his lines always had chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Kelly had excellent hockey sense and good speed. He has hands of stone, and when he is shooting the puck, it appears he is playing darts with the goalie's crest being the bull's eye. Excellent PKer.

Smith is Fisher lite at this point. Less speed, but similarly sized at the same developmental stage. Lots of grit and passion, and better shooting accuracy than Kelly. In fact, Smith has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer as a 3rd line forward. Potential to be an excellent PKer.

Zack Smith also appears to be a dumb hockey player - so I don't know if he would ever reach the Fisher like potential I see in him.
I was always more impressed with the situations where Kelly found himself in front of a half open net and would find a way to hit the cross-bar or shot wide from 7 feet away.

I wouldn't say Smith is dumb; he's simply not the skater, stickhandler or have nearly as good a shot as Fisher does.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:

Good post, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
So far in the playoffs, gp, goals, assists, pts, shooting percentage:

Patrice Bergeron13 4 10 14 9.76%
Nathan Horton 15 6 7 13 17.14%
David Krejci 15 7 5 12 25.00%
Michael Ryder 15 5 6 11 19.23%
Brad Marchand 15 5 6 11 13.16%
Chris Kelly 15 4 6 10 19.05%

His hands aren't as bad as people who still call him "stone hands" think. His shooting percentage has been better than Ryder, bergeron, krejci over the last 2 years and about the same as horton's and spezza's for example.
His shot isn't bad at all, and has always been light years ahead of his hands, which are terrible.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:58 AM
tarrin8

Quote:

which isnt much at all so he could just end up in the minors with no cap hit if he doesnt plan out

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote