HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2011, 11:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=915528

So, whatta ya think? I feel like I got the best forward left on the board. Brodin was considered but I have him rated pretty even with Scheifele.

Notice Klefbom going pretty high in this mock? If he goes ahead of our pick, a very good forward will fall to us. Same with Brodin.
Klefbom is climbing like a rocket on every draft board. Now top 10 on ISS. He has definitely impressed a lot of people.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:27 AM
free0717

We lack a top puckmover. If Murphy drops Id jump up and grab him. I will go nuts if they draft Olesiak. Dallas will take Olesiak, this years McIlrath. If Calgary doesnt take McNeil, he will be there.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

In that draft Mika Zibanejad dropped to #11.

If he drops out of the top 10 on draft day, we better trade up and get him.

He's pretty much exactly what this organization needs. High-end forward, can play center or wing, solid on faceoffs, initiates physical play, pays attention to his defensive responsibilities. Charismatic personality.

He's the whole package.

Heck, if he drops out of the top 5 I would try relentlessly to trade up for him.

If we absolutely can't get him, then it doesn't matter to me who we take, though id prefer McNeill at that point.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
We lack a top puckmover. If Murphy drops Id jump up and grab him. I will go nuts if they draft Olesiak. Dallas will take Olesiak, this years McIlrath. If Calgary doesnt take McNeil, he will be there.
Oleksiak has far, far more potential (both to to be a better player and to be a bust) than McIlrath has. Much riskier pick, though he could end up a top 5 d-man in the league.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Oleksiak has far, far more potential (both to to be a better player and to be a bust) than McIlrath has. Much riskier pick, though he could end up a top 5 d-man in the league.
Well said.

Prediction ! : Oleksiak and Murphy standing aside one another will be the best pic of the draft !

Old
05-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=915528

So, whatta ya think? I feel like I got the best forward left on the board. Brodin was considered but I have him rated pretty even with Scheifele.

Notice Klefbom going pretty high in this mock? If he goes ahead of our pick, a very good forward will fall to us. Same with Brodin.
Works just fine for me of course.

Klefbom, like Bob said, is really high on a lot of lists. Some team is going to be thrilled with that pick. My money is still on the Avs at #11 if they pass on Larsson.

Old
05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Works just fine for me of course.

Klefbom, like Bob said, is really high on a lot of lists. Some team is going to be thrilled with that pick. My money is still on the Avs at #11 if they pass on Larsson.
Props, you were on the Scheifele wagon first I believe

Tall lanky kid with excellent hands and a quick release on the shot/pass. Wait until he fills out, love the upside.

I'm predicting the Avs will try and take two Swedes. I was thinking Larsson and Zibanajed, but it could also be Landeskog and Klefbom. I say why not get all four ?

Old
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Tall lanky kid with excellent hands and a quick release on the shot/pass. Wait until he fills out, love the upside.

I'm predicting the Avs will try and take two Swedes. I was thinking Larsson and Zibanajed, but it could also be Landeskog and Klefbom. I say why not get all four ?
Haha, I'm definitely a big fan of the kid. I'm at the point now where I'll probably be pretty disappointed if we don't walk away with him.

I thought about them going Larsson / Zibanejad, but I'm not sure I believe the rumors about them shipping off Stastny. I think Larsson is a tremendous player, but he's on par with EJ, IMO. Wouldn't surprise me to see them take Landeskog at #2 and then gamble on one of the remaining D at #11 (Klefbom, Siemens, etc).

Old
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Haha, I'm definitely a big fan of the kid. I'm at the point now where I'll probably be pretty disappointed if we don't walk away with him.

I thought about them going Larsson / Zibanejad, but I'm not sure I believe the rumors about them shipping off Stastny. I think Larsson is a tremendous player, but he's on par with EJ, IMO. Wouldn't surprise me to see them take Landeskog at #2 and then gamble on one of the remaining D at #11 (Klefbom, Siemens, etc).
I could see them holding onto Stastny and having him as #1, Duchesne as #2 and Zibanjed as #3 center. Zban plays the role of Jordan Staal. Or take Landeskog and Zban and put them on the wing with Stastny/Duchesne. I agree about Larsson/Johnson, but I never really had a problem with Leetch/Zubov, did you?

Old
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
TreeSapLlama

I still hope we pick a forward rather then defenceman in this draft. I would rather trade for someone like Voynov from the Kings then select a defenceman outside of Murphy or Klefbom

Old
05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I could see them holding onto Stastny and having him as #1, Duchesne as #2 and Zibanjed as #3 center. Zban plays the role of Jordan Staal. Or take Landeskog and Zban and put them on the wing with Stastny/Duchesne. I agree about Larsson/Johnson, but I never really had a problem with Leetch/Zubov, did you?
Great depth for sure, but I think O'Reilly is their 3rd line center moving forward. I know he didn't have a great year, but he's well suited for that role.

Leetch and Zubov? Who?

If they feel like one of EJ / Larsson can play the left side as a right handed shot, then I think it's a good selection. However, if they aren't comfortable with that idea, I don't think the gap between Klefbom and Larsson is so significant that you'd regret it in the long run. I just look at that the group of wingers currently in their organization, and I feel like they're at a great position to take Landeskog.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Great depth for sure, but I think O'Reilly is their 3rd line center moving forward. I know he didn't have a great year, but he's well suited for that role.

Leetch and Zubov? Who?

If they feel like one of EJ / Larsson can play the left side as a right handed shot, then I think it's a good selection. However, if they aren't comfortable with that idea, I don't think the gap between Klefbom and Larsson is so significant that you'd regret it in the long run. I just look at that the group of wingers currently in their organization, and I feel like they're at a great position to take Landeskog.
The PP is where they will work together, even strength they both play the right side.

I think Zban is well suited for the same role, better size, reach and will play infront of the net on the PP. I agree though, Landeskog/Klefbom is an awesome haul.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:45 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:

Same prediction, but with Ottawa instead of Colorado. I can see them nabbing Zibanejad if Landeskog and Couturier are off the table,

Old
05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

One of the Islanders prospects is pulling a Blake Wheeler and becoming a free agent

Quote:
The Gregoire case is surprising because he does not share Wheeler’s high draft ranking or upside potential as a scoring forward in the N.H.L. But coming off an excellent junior season in which he scored 25 goals and added 18 assists for 43 points in 35 games, Gregoire (and his agent) may feel he could get a better contract on the open market than the Islanders have offered so far.

Some scouts view the 6-foot, 200-pound left as capable enough to see some action in the N.H.L. next season but do not see him as a special prospect.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-nytimessports

The Rangers should make an offer.

Old
05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
One of the Islanders prospects is pulling a Blake Wheeler and becoming a free agent

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-nytimessports

The Rangers should make an offer.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
The PP is where they will work together, even strength they both play the right side.

I think Zban is well suited for the same role, better size, reach and will play infront of the net on the PP. I agree though, Landeskog/Klefbom is an awesome haul.
I think he's probably better suited, but is it worth it at such a high draft position? I guess only the Avs will be able to say for sure.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Shocked to see I haven't posted in any of these threads yet. Here's what I think about a few players from my view from the armchair here.

I'm a big fan of Khokhlachev. Good vison and a lethal shot. Not afraid to go in dirty areas and use his body. Would be a top 10 pick in this draft if he was Canadian. I like him so it probably means we won't draft him

Scheifele has been a fast riser due to his great U18 tournament. I'm always wary of late risers, but sometimes there's a reason for the player being one. He played on a weak team at Barrie and still produced at a more than point per game clip. Wouldn't mind him at 15 at all.

Zibanejad is one of the most complete players in this draft. For that reason, he will definitely be a top 10 pick, and even possibly may go as high as 6 to Ottawa. Would love him but there are other players I'd rather trade up for if the Rangers go that route.

Which leads me to Ryan Murphy. He would be the only defenseman I'd be ok with taking if we move up. The kid is a puck wizard and in my opinion a better player than Ryan Ellis. Take him and it signs Del Zotto's ticket out of New York, however.

Ryan Strome is also someone I'd look at if we can somehow trade up. I see him going in the 6-11 range. Great playmaker that can also put the puck in the net. More explosive than Stepan and is one of the best danglers in this draft class.

Rocco Grimaldi's stock is rising astronomically at the moment. The way it's going, he may not even be around for our pick at 15. Crazy talented, size is obviously an issue, but as we see guys like St. Louis and Ennis produce in the league, most fears about size will soon be irrational as long as the guy can skate.

Here's the cliffnotes in case you don't want to read through all of this:

Trade Up Scenario: Who I'd want (in order)

Strome
Murphy
Zibanejad

Stay at 15: Who I'd want

Scheifele
Khokhlachev
McNeill
Grimaldi
Armia
Bartschi

Stay at 15: Stay away from

Beaulieu
Phillips
Miller
Oleksiak
Biggs
Jenner

Trade Down Scenario: Who I'd want

Khokhlachev (Think he'll still be around in the 20's)
Puempel
Saad (still have hope for him)

The talent in the draft drops off after 9 IMO. How the first round goes after Minnesota's pick is anyone's guess. If you take anything from my post, it can all be summed up by this: take the best player available

In Gordie We Trust

Old
05-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

You still have hope for Saad but you want to avoid Miller?

Old
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
NaturalIce

Why stay away from oleksiak at 15? He would be a steal at 15. Disregard the fact that the rangers are stocked on defense and consider that anyone taken with the 15th pick in this draft will be 3 years away from the nhl at least!

Old
05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

We stay away from him because he's not needed and is on par with the forwards around him. Since everyone is on the same playing field, roughly, from 10-30, we can afford to draft a bit on need there.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
NaturalIce

I understand that but I think he has special potential. Granted he's not my first choice at 15 but I wouldn't react the way I reacted to the mcilrath pick last year.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
Why stay away from oleksiak at 15? He would be a steal at 15. Disregard the fact that the rangers are stocked on defense and consider that anyone taken with the 15th pick in this draft will be 3 years away from the nhl at least!
I feel he has the highest bust potential of anyone in the 1st round, with not much chance of reaching his potential and becoming the next Zdeno Chara. Also, if we take him, taking McIlrath last year makes no sense. If the Rangers' brass feels that he's the BPA at 15 though, I'll trust their judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We stay away from him because he's not needed and is on par with the forwards around him. Since everyone is on the same playing field, roughly, from 10-30, we can afford to draft a bit on need there.
Pretty much this. In regard to your first response, I don't like Miller for the same reason I don't like Jenner; I frankly don't see them as more than checking line centers in the NHL. Are they likely to make the NHL? Sure they are, but they both have low ceilings, IMO. The guys I would want from the 1st round in this draft have the skill and character to be top 6 guys one day.

Last edited by I Eat Crow: 05-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 06:16 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I disagree on Miller's upside as I would consider It to be Ryan Kesler, which I don't consider to be low at all. Again agree to disagree, but I would be pretty happy with him at 15; especially if no forward falls and Scheifele/McNeill/Armia are gone.

05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

I am hoping we draft koko in round 1 but would be stoked if we went kucherov in round 2 after taking Brett Ritchie in round 1 instead of Alex.

After passing on vlady last year, I'm prepared to be disappointed but still hopeful we get our Russian sniper.

Enjoy this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjATw...e_gdata_player

Old
05-23-2011, 10:00 PM
mcsauer2738

McNeill is still my guy. Gritty/skilled center that had a rocket one timer, fights, pks, good on faceoffs. I can't ask for more.

Closed Thread