HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards vs Jumbo

Old
05-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Fair to say they are a different type of player...

But Joe is the premier playmaker 1st line C. It doesnt really get much better in the skill dept as far as a set up man.

What he doesn't do, and any fantasy GMs out there can tell you, is shoot the puck, or hit.

Richards plays all situations, and is great on the PK. Or he was before he got bumped up to 1st line C duties in Dallas. He was always 2nd fiddle to Vinny in Tampa

Which guy suits the Rangers needs? Honestly we have depth in the gritty, pk, die for my team types. We need above all else an injection of pure elite caliber skilled players to get the job done.

The best gameplan for NY Rangers success remains the same in my eyes.

GET LUNDQVIST A 2.3 GOAL LEAD!

05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Joe is a tremendous player, but I'll take the guy with the playoff pedigree.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
last 2 seasons yes. last 3, 4, 5, 6....etc seasons? no.

and its not like Richards is blowing Thornton away either, their point differential is 9 points over that time span.
i value the past two seasons more than 3, 4, 5, and 6. my point was some people were trashing richards as just a playoff performer while thornton was a regular season god compared to richards, while richards has actually had better statistics in the past 2 regular seasons.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Joe Thornton is the better player and of that there is no question.

Probably the best passer playing in the NHL today.

However, the difference is not enough to part with the assets needed to shed to get Joe over Richards.

Additionally, I can't get over the way he quit on Boston.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
As someone who watches a lot of Joe Thornton, I can say that Richards is the better player, and by a fair margin. I fully expect him to sign elsewhere this summer so I have no real interest in defending him. It would make zero sense from a Rangers' perspective to spend significant assets to acquire the inferior center. Thornton's overall game has slipped the past few seasons, whereas Richards is just as good as ever and possibly even getting better. You can see it in the small details; Thornton used to be able to stickhandle in traffic at will to wait for the perfect pass, now he's prone to mysteriously losing the puck off his stick under minimal pressure. The same kind of stuff cropped up during Modano's steep decline. I don't even really know why this is a question, it seems like the current playoffs are heavily skewing people's opinions since Joe has actually shown up for once. Meanwhile Richards was a beast in every playoffs he's ever been in.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:36 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Additionally, I can't get over the way he quit on Boston.
Really? How did he quit on Boston?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:54 PM
bernmeister

If I understood OP correctly, the question is not which player would you prefer, but which strategy do you choose.

Don't see Thornton leaving SJ, or they're letting him go, anytime soon.

Unless the target is a young elite -- Stamkos, pre-injury Malkin --- don't want to go crazy with contracts that could bind us for years. everything a proportionately reasonable number as a base, with extremely generous performance bonuses. This way a player delivers, I'm happy, and if it didn't happen, and my cap is not overly screwed, then I'm still good.

To answer the question, not sure what can be done besides Richards via free agency, and hope he understands the team can accommodate him, but only so much.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

Unless the target is a young elite -- Stamkos, pre-injury Malkin --- don't want to go crazy with contracts that could bind us for years. everything a proportionately reasonable number as a base, with extremely generous performance bonuses. This way a player delivers, I'm happy, and if it didn't happen, and my cap is not overly screwed, much.
Unfortunately elite players dont sign those deals. Ok Hossa did, but generally speaking elite players want to protect themselves and avoid deals like. Prospal, Feds.... These guys are journeymen at this point.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote