HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan B

Old
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Plan B

OK, let's say Brad Richards decides to resign with the Stars. Or The Kings trade for his rights at the draft and sign him before July 1st. Or The Leafs offer him a contract he can't refuse.

What is the Rangers Plan B?

I don't see any offensive free agents that excite me. Tomas Fleischman maybe but that's about it. Anyoine else out there?

So that leaves the trade market.

My initial thought is to inquire about Paul Stasny. He was reportedly available at the trrade deadline last year and he certainly fills the bill of a front line center. He, of course, comes with a stiff price...at least 3 young assets. But the alternative?

And one other thought -- what about Alexander Radulov? Would you trade assets for him? I would based on what I have seen and heard

Other thoughts?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
what about Alexander Radulov? Would you trade assets for him? I would based on what I have seen and heard
It would be very nice to have Radulov on the team but I think it's unlikely he will leave the KHL

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
OK, let's say Brad Richards decides to resign with the Stars. Or The Kings trade for his rights at the draft and sign him before July 1st. Or The Leafs offer him a contract he can't refuse.

I don't see any offensive free agents that excite me. Tomas Fleischman maybe but that's about it. Anyoine else out there?

My initial thought is to inquire about Paul Stasny. He was reportedly available at the trrade deadline last year and he certainly fills the bill of a front line center. He, of course, comes with a stiff price...at least 3 young assets. But the alternative?

And one other thought -- what about Alexander Radulov? Would you trade assets for him? I would based on what I have seen and heard

Other thoughts?
I doubt Radulov ever comes back to the NHL.

The alternative is to hope we can aquire a center without gutting the team. If that can't happen, we go for the 7-8th seed again and lose in the first round.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The alternative is to hope we can aquire a center without gutting the team. If that can't happen, we go for the 7-8th seed again and lose in the first round.
You mean the same thing that's been happening AS we've been signing free agents? In our 'good' years?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
You mean the same thing that's been happening AS we've been signing free agents? In our 'good' years?
Yeah, basically. That's why we don't go for any second tier centers like Gomez or Drury, we go for the big fish.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
turcotte8

Hope Ray Shero goes clinically insane and trades us Crosby straight up for Drury.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
CM PUNK

honestly plan B is probably cross your fingers and pray that stepan matures really quickly lol

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, basically. That's why we don't go for any second tier centers like Gomez or Drury, we go for the big fish.
We 'got' the big fish two summers ago, he performed as advertised (42 goals) and we still missed the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
So sad that the success of this team moving forward still seems to hinge on the signing of a big name free agent.

05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:

Other thoughts?
Plan B? Free agents to fill voids aren't the ONLY option. Let's try, "Stay the course". That's how the Devils of the mid 90s-mid 2000s were good. That's how Detroit has been good since the early 90s. STAY THE COURSE. Develop one. Pick one. Find the the gem in the draft. They got three with Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer. They can do it again.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Plan B is stay the course. Not having a 1C will create more playing time for AA and Stepan. I don't imagine Sather goes that route though. He'll find Gaborik a Center.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
94now

Thre is no plan B as far as UFAs are concerned. Trading is problematic, no onme sells, only buyers are out there. The only one I can see as a remote possibility is LeCavalier, but it is far fetching...
We would have to live with what we've got at C. That means groom AA for 1C role whatever it's worth.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Other thoughts?
Ok this one is a little off the wall and is purely for discussion purposes, I do not in any way support this as even I haven't really thought about but:

one of the things the majority of the board agrees with is that this team, barring a Long Term injuryto Hank will never be in position for a Top 5 pick.

another thing most of the board agrees with is that we won't get an impact player drafting where we do finishing somewhere between 8-9.

given those facts...does it make sense to offer sheet a really good young RFA?

Like I said I haven't thought about it myself, haven't even looked at who is available as an RFA...

discuss

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Plan B is stay the course. Not having a 1C will create more playing time for AA and Stepan. I don't imagine Sather goes that route though. He'll find Gaborik a Center.
This. So many cynics here these days. The team is getting better...no need to panic. They'll keep adding parts as they become available. Richards isn't the end all be all of acquisitions.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Ok this one is a little off the wall and is purely for discussion purposes, I do not in any way support this as even I haven't really thought about but:

one of the things the majority of the board agrees with is that this team, barring a Long Term injuryto Hank will never be in position for a Top 5 pick.

another thing most of the board agrees with is that we won't get an impact player drafting where we do finishing somewhere between 8-9.

given those facts...does it make sense to offer sheet a really good young RFA?

Like I said I haven't thought about it myself, haven't even looked at who is available as an RFA...

discuss
Stamkos is a RFA.
But how much would you have to offer in order for Tampa not to match? 10-12 million?
Is any player in the league actually worth a max contract?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
GAGLine

Plan B:

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So sad that the success of this team moving forward still seems to hinge on the signing of a big name free agent.
i don't think its sad at all...if we knew what we were doing at the draft table and drafted top end talent and were looking to add a 2nd line free agent to supplement the team no one would think anything off it. so instead we drafted the 2nd liner and try to sign the 1st liner

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm not sure if I screwed up somewhere, so excuse the mistakes if there's any...

I'd simply go with this:

FORWARDS
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.300m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.600m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Brian Boyle ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($0.900m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Steve Eminger ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If the cap goes up to, let's say, $63 million and Dubi, Cally, AA, and Boyle are signed and they make what's up there, we'd $8,250,000 in cap space.

Leave Zucc in the minors and don't re-sign Gilroy or Prospal.

Keep incorporating the young guys as contracts start running up like Drury, Christensen, Avery, Fedetenko.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Vitto79

I think we will soon realize Plan B sucks whatever it can be.

Thus those saying do not sign Richards are on crack........that is all

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think we will soon realize Plan B sucks whatever it can be.

Thus those saying do not sign Richards are on crack........that is all
As we get closer to July 1st, I'm slowing leaning more onto signing Richards, even if it's for 5-6-7 years. Stepan and Anisimov will be in their prime at the later end of the contract.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Plan B? Wait till 2013's UFA class?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Plan B? Wait till 2013's UFA class?
That would be plan A for me.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
We 'got' the big fish two summers ago, he performed as advertised (42 goals) and we still missed the playoffs.
Because we only had 1/3 of a top line.

Sucks that we can't draft first line talent but it is what it is.

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent, but then you look at a team like TB. Yeah, they have Vinny, MSL and Stamkos. Guess who's been just as if not more important to their success in the playoffs? Free agent signings.

Make the argument "1st line" free agents or not, but that's a fact. Tampa went from 12th in the East to a SC contender this year. Sad, though, that their success hinged on those FA signings.

The Sharks too, but their homegrown guys have been big in the playoffs this year- doesn't mean their top line isn't filled with two non-homegrown guys and their d-corp doesn't have Danny Boyle.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
That would be plan A for me.
then we get to 2013 and all of the top FA's in that class or signed or maybe no longer top players for what they will command on the open market and we wasted 2 more years of Henke and Gaboriks primes and we still have no elite talent in the system? do we then decide to pack it in, trade henke and gabs, tank and wait another 3-4 years to become a contender?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
then we get to 2013 and all of the top FA's in that class or signed or maybe no longer top players for what they will command on the open market and we wasted 2 more years of Henke and Gaboriks primes and we still have no elite talent in the system? do we then decide to pack it in, trade henke and gabs, tank and wait another 3-4 years to become a contender?
Nope. We just keep signing free agents who have all the leverage to inflated contracts. Year after year after year. It's what we do.

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.