HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rafalski to retire, possibly Lidstrom. What does this mean for Markov?

Old
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

vCash: 500
Rafalski to retire, possibly Lidstrom. What does this mean for Markov?

Rafalski retired today and this just frees up 6M$ in cap space for the Wings. Rumors has it (Eklund) that it might encourage Lidstrom to do the same. Hypothetical question: what if Lidstrom does retire too? Wings would find themselves in a situation with two puck-mover defenceman spots to fill, and a lot of cash. I don't know if there is a connection between Datsyuk and Markov, but if I'm Holland, I'd try everything to sign Markov and make him play on the powerplay with Datsyuk. Those two would be dynamite. And they do have the money to sign him.

I know this have been an issue last time Markov have been a UFA, with him being friend and Ovechkin, and it never happened. But still, I'm discussing the possibility.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:44 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Seems like a valid concern. But with his injury situation, I don't think he'd be looking to make that kind of career move. He probably wants to stay where he's comfortable and secure and work on getting back to elite form. Not the best time to make such a splash and I don't think the size of the paycheck is that big of a concern for him right now.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I hope not. Let them overpay for the Wiz.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Well this certainly creates cap space for the Wings to take a run at Markov. In saying that though, I really can't see him signing anywhere but with the Habs.

A friend of mine feels that the Wings will offer sheet Shea Weber though.

05-23-2011, 04:53 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

For Markov I don't know what it means other than I guess we'll see how badly he wants to stay in Montreal. For d-men in general I guess the price just went up. Wiz could conceivably "clean house".

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Talks to Goalposts

If Markov signs here then its a problem for other teams. I believe the relationship between the Habs and Markov is strong enough that the new contract will be settled by internal rather than external factors. This does make the Wings the biggest bidders for UFA defense though and would make it correspondingly more difficult to be in the same market. The biggest effect for the Habs would be to encourage the resigning of internal options rather than try to compete on the open market for the big fish.

If Lidstrom also retires this could also mean the end of the Red Wings as the pre-eminant team in the Western Conference. Losing Lidstrom and Rafalski at the same time would be a body blow to their defense, possibly unrecoverable for this off-season.

If Lidstrom resigns then the Wings just got a lot of capspace to sign a guy like Erhoff, Kaberle, Wisniewski (if the habs don't keep him), Bieksa etc.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Rafalski retired today and this just frees up 6M$ in cap space for the Wings. Rumors has it (Eklund) that it might encourage Lidstrom to do the same. Hypothetical question: what if Lidstrom does retire too? Wings would find themselves in a situation with two puck-mover defenceman spots to fill, and a lot of cash. I don't know if there is a connection between Datsyuk and Markov, but if I'm Holland, I'd try everything to sign Markov and make him play on the powerplay with Datsyuk. Those two would be dynamite. And they do have the money to sign him.

I know this have been an issue last time Markov have been a UFA, with him being friend and Ovechkin, and it never happened. But still, I'm discussing the possibility.
It would be a good year for them to go sign a couple UFA d-men...Kaberle Wiz Ehrhoff Pitkanen etc I doubt Markov hits the market.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:59 PM
guest1467

I have never understood this connection between Markov and Detroit. What does he or them have to do with each other?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:10 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I have never understood this connection between Markov and Detroit. What does he or them have to do with each other?
good player good team?
chance at a cup?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Datsyuk and a lot of Russians grew up liking the Red Wings and the Red Wings Russian 5.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
googlymoogly

Markov got his Canadian citizenship and likes the European feel of Montreal.

Wiz is from Canton MI so he might love to play for Detroit.

PG needs to get Markov signed then if he doesn't want Wiz back try trading his rights to Detroit for a pick.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
CHestah in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
Well this certainly creates cap space for the Wings to take a run at Markov. In saying that though, I really can't see him signing anywhere but with the Habs.

Agree that I can't see Markov anywhere but Montreal.

Similarly, Weber is not going anywhere. He's already "guaranteed" that he's going to be back in Nashville, and Poile is probably going to give him 7M. You just don't let your captain and best player leave the team 8 weeks after you've wrapped up your most successful season ever.

CHestah in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Dafe

I don't think it's a connection to DET, but a connection to Datsyuk. They both played for Dynamo Moscow during the lockout together, as well as many times on an international level. I highly doubt Lidstrom retires this year, he'll give it one more go. Markov is quite happy in Montreal, that's not going to change. Det to target a younger D man... Wiz, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Bieska?

Dafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
BLONG7

Lidstrom stays, and Richards to the Wings...book it!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
Agree that I can't see Markov anywhere but Montreal.

Similarly, Weber is not going anywhere. He's already "guaranteed" that he's going to be back in Nashville, and Poile is probably going to give him 7M. You just don't let your captain and best player leave the team 8 weeks after you've wrapped up your most successful season ever.
I agree, I can't see Weber leaving the Preds either. At the same time, they still have Suter and a few good young prospects coming up. Their weakness now is forwards. The 7 mil they'd have to spend on Weber could help fill a lot of holes up front.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Danny!

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
habsrule22

Depending on Lidstrom - Detroit will have to completely rebuilt there defense. Ericsson is gone too maybe salei. they ll have 3 or 4 openings.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Shadyone33

I think that it means Ehrhoff will become Detroit's #1 target in the offseason. I think Detroit would have to commit to Markov long term to get him and they'd be foolish to do that considering Markov's injuries.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
good player good team?
chance at a cup?
There are a lot of good teams out there, the league is so even its ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Datsyuk and a lot of Russians grew up liking the Red Wings and the Red Wings Russian 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe View Post
I don't think it's a connection to DET, but a connection to Datsyuk. They both played for Dynamo Moscow during the lockout together, as well as many times on an international level. I highly doubt Lidstrom retires this year, he'll give it one more go. Markov is quite happy in Montreal, that's not going to change. Det to target a younger D man... Wiz, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Bieska?
A lot of players play together in their respective countries internationally and domestically but never play with each other in the NHL. I think a lot of people over estimate the strength of having an old teammate on a team to lure another. For one, we dont even know what kind of relationship any of these players have. And two, in my opinion, there are much more important factors to choosing an NHL team than knowing one teammate. It really makes little difference.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Talks to Goalposts

The biggest connection of Markov to Detroit is style of play. What makes Markov and elite player is his extrodinary hockey intelligence combined with elite passing and playmaking skill and strong defensive positioning. These are exactly the qualities that Detroit look for and cultivate in their players and base their style of play upon. Markov isn't as good as Lidstrom but if they were looking for a replacement he'd be about as close of a match they could find. Fortunately, I don't think the Habs management is going to give them that chance.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
E = CH²

Markov appears to be a really weird individual. Extremely shy, and it looks like has difficulties adapting to new environments. I think as long as we make a reasonable offer he'll stay a hab. But those are just impressions from interviews, "the day in the life of" episode and what I've heard of him. I could be wrong.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

Holland is no retard ...he wont overpay for Markov at 33 with his injuries

if Lid retires ...one or more or more of Bieksa ...Ehrhoff...Wiz will go there

or better yet ....they will have surprising more cap to pick up a signed player

for example if the Canucks want to keep Bieska and Ehrhoff they may let Hamhuis go
at a decent 4 mil cap and the Wings give up a 2 mil player back

or they could pick up a decent Gilbert of Edmonton

they will be in control of free agency ...players will go there and many teams that cap money will not spend like the Wings .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post

I wish Montreal would do this. And while I will try and avoid my usual Timmins bashing, I don't see the loss of a few 1st round picks to be a huge concern at this point.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
HomaridII

If Rafalski and Lindstrom retire, the wings are going to seriously need a big time no.1 they can count on. I don't see them going after Markov or Wiznieswki, too many questions mark with both.

Mcguire said he wouldn't be surprised if Weber asked out of Nashville despite being only an RFA, if he does, the Wings would be right there going after him

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
DJ Breadman

Markov will not make it to july 1, the off chance that he does, then you can worry

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote