HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan B

Old
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
The Rangers are going to have some surplus cash and if they don't get Richards that doesn't mean they shouldn't use it. If Drury's not bought out we're going to have another $7 mil next year. Having said that we shouldn't go wild either or change the direction the team is headed.

The UFA market has several quality 20 something year old defensemen worth looking at. As currently constructed we have a very good top 4 and a pretty so so 5-7. We do have a need for more crunch in our own end and a for real pwp pointman and it wouldn't necessarily hurt McDonagh's development for him to be part of a bottom pairing. The best teams have a solid 6 guys on their backline.

Bieksa is 29 and a very good player and would give us some mean that we don't have.
Erhoff is 28--a solid defender who would help our pwp. He had 50 points last year.
Pitkanen is 27--and very skilled.
Wisniewski is 27--not quite as solid defensively as Erhoff but had 51 points last year and over 20 of them on the pwp.
Ian White is 26.

IMO we should be targeting these guys whether we get Richards or not--in the hopes of just getting one. They are all young enough where they don't harm a youth movement.

There are not so many forwards I like. I wouldn't mind seeing Fedotenko back. Jussi Jokinen, Sean Bergenheim, Brooks Laich, Joel Ward, Scottie Upshall might all be good additions as long as we don't give them huge contracts. A 4th liner with a lot of grit and who reminds me a bit of Prust is 28 year old Cody McCormich. He shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and he sticks up for his teammates and will fight anybody.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Yet the Sather machine keeps rolling along...so sad and pathetic.

You remember when everyone wanted the Rangers to trade the entire team for Dany Heatley, he had 64 points this year and has disappeared when the Sharks need him the most...where are those experts.

Waiting for 2013 is a bad idea because those guys might not be elite but signing Brad Richards to 7.5 million a year for 5-6 years now makes total sense.

There is top level talent in every round, it is difficult to find but not impossible, unless you are the New York Rangers.

The Rangers have drafted one top end talent in the last 15 years....Hank and they got lucky with him. Staal is on his way to becoming a top dman but that is it. That is part of the long list of reasons why we always suck.

look @ the good organizations and u will see NHL players littered all over..that only started happening for us...2008 was the 1st year we started focusing on the Draft...Sather blew the first 5-6 years and people want to say the prospect pool was baron, it was baron because he is a buffoon!
This. Well said.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Radulov isn't coming back to the NHL.

He still owes one season on his deal which he did not honor, so if he does return it's nothing to what he can make in the KHL this season. If Radulov had some balls and heart to show he can play in the best league in the world maybe, but I don't think he's that kinda guy myself.

Since we are on Nashville did we ever get anything for those FC for Jessiman?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Waiting for 2013 is a bad idea because those guys might not be elite but signing Brad Richards to 7.5 million a year for 5-6 years now makes total sense.
Waiting for 2013 is a bad idea because we have no idea who will be available then. Do you really think Crosby, Getzlaf or Perry will hit the open market?

There are no guarantees. At some point, you have to roll the dice, and I'll bet on Richards today before I'll bet on any of those players being available 2 years from now.

I'm not gonna defend Sather. We need to find elite players through the draft. But we haven't, and it's ridiculous to just sit around and wait for it to happen. We need to improve the team. Richards will improve the team. I fail to see how waiting 2 years and hoping is a better option.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Radulov isn't coming back to the NHL.

He still owes one season on his deal which he did not honor, so if he does return it's nothing to what he can make in the KHL this season. If Radulov had some balls and heart to show he can play in the best league in the world maybe, but I don't think he's that kinda guy myself.

Since we are on Nashville did we ever get anything for those FC for Jessiman?

Strong rumors say he might indeed come back to Nashville.

Quote:
Alexander Radulov wants to play for the Nashville Predators next season.

That is the latest word — maybe — according to General Manager David Poile, based on a conversation Wednesday morning between Radulov andPaul Fenton, the Predators’ assistant general manager.

Radulov has played the last three seasons in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League and has served as a flashpoint in strained relations between the NHL and Russia’s hockey federation because he signed his KHL deal while still under contract with Nashville.

“[He says] he can get out of his contract,” Poile said. “I don’t know what he wants to do. … We [told] him … we can trade his rights, but he said, ‘No, no. I want to play in Nashville.’

“So that’s where we’re at.”
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...turn-predators

Dmitry Chesnokov wrote:

Quote:
Speaker of the Bashkortostan assembly Konstantin Tolkachev told Sovetsky Sport recently that the financing of the club will be cut considerably. Because most KHL clubs don't generate enough revenue from gate receipts, they rely on sponsorships and other financing. If there is less money coming in, Salavat won't be able to afford certain players.

Even though Tolkachev told Sovetsky Sport that Radulov "is definitely staying," I wouldn't be so sure.

KHL contracts are not guaranteed. Either a club or a player may terminate a contract. Evgeni Nabokov(notes) terminated his contract with SKA St. Petersburg last winter. Kyle Wellwood(notes) was released by his KHL club. The most popular explanation for contract termination in the KHL is that it is done "by mutual consent." Or when a club simply "releases" a player.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp4812

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Richards is the linchpin in our future successes, if we can't acquire him I'd look for a one year stop gap, deffinitally wouldn't want to trade for stastny it's going to cost more than we can afford to give up and frankly I don't think were winning the cup next year with or without richards.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:11 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Plan B: Pray, lots and lots of praying.

05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
RangerBlues

One of Thornton , Marleau and Heatley may be had in a trade.
Thats not much of a plan. Slats is dumb enough to do it.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
One of Thornton , Marleau and Heatley may be had in a trade.
Thats not much of a plan. Slats is dumb enough to do it.
Yea because SJ has all the incentive in the world to deal some of their top players. The Sharks aren't going into rebuild (and the only person who is possibly tradeable is Heatley and do you really want him on your team?)

I can be sure as hell that Thornton or Marleau will not be dealt this offseason.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Grab someone like Gagne, Cole, or Tanguay on a 1 or 2 year deal. Ehrhoff would be nice as well, as he would certainly improve the PP (6 PPG and 22PPA this past year).

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
OK, let's say Brad Richards decides to resign with the Stars. Or The Kings trade for his rights at the draft and sign him before July 1st. Or The Leafs offer him a contract he can't refuse.

What is the Rangers Plan B?

I don't see any offensive free agents that excite me. Tomas Fleischman maybe but that's about it. Anyoine else out there?

So that leaves the trade market.

My initial thought is to inquire about Paul Stasny. He was reportedly available at the trrade deadline last year and he certainly fills the bill of a front line center. He, of course, comes with a stiff price...at least 3 young assets. But the alternative?
Was thinking about Stastny a few months ago when the reports surfaced. Interesting acquisition for sure, but when you think about the addition coupled with subtraction, how much better are we as a team if we're sending Dubinsky+ prospect(s)/pick the other way? I just don't see the Rangers benefiting too much overall if we're losing comparable value going the other way. Unless Colorado was interested in a package of AA, MDZ, and a 1st, I'm not sure it's a viable option.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
17futurecap

Any interest in Jussi Jokinen? I'm kind of interested to see what contract he gets as a UFA. Just turned 28, 65 points 2 seasons ago, and 52 points last season, but played 11 less games this past season.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Any interest in Jussi Jokinen? I'm kind of interested to see what contract he gets as a UFA. Just turned 28, 65 points 2 seasons ago, and 52 points last season, but played 11 less games this past season.
Yes, but not unless we get Richards.

I think Jokinen would be good for this team but I don't think he could do much damage by himself personally.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Either tank or trade anything for Nail Yakupov

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Yea because SJ has all the incentive in the world to deal some of their top players. The Sharks aren't going into rebuild (and the only person who is possibly tradeable is Heatley and do you really want him on your team?)

I can be sure as hell that Thornton or Marleau will not be dealt this offseason.
Thornton and Marleau could never hack it in NY. It would turn ugly in a hurry.
Heatly seems toxic. As well as his contract.
Setoguchi I like. Can he do it for a whole season?

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Thornton and Marleau could never hack it in NY. It would turn ugly in a hurry.
Setoguchi I like. Can he do it for a whole season?
I'm not convinced he could do it unless he has someone like Thornton or Richards feeding him the puck.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I've hardly noticed him in these past two rounds of the playoffs.... I'm quite happy we didn't trade Dubinsky or any other valued Rangers for him when he was being shopped....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
If they miss Richards I'd rather either make a trade for a center, or possibly see if Suter and/or Burns make it to free agency next season. They'd have the cap space to sign them both, then with defense of Staal, Girardi, Burns, Suter, McDonagh, and Sauer you're stacked for years. You could then package a MDZ or a McIlrath and others for an elite forward. Pipe dream I know but just a thought.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
If they miss Richards I'd rather either make a trade for a center, or possibly see if Suter and/or Burns make it to free agency next season. They'd have the cap space to sign them both, then with defense of Staal, Girardi, Burns, Suter, McDonagh, and Sauer you're stacked for years. You could then package a MDZ or a McIlrath and others for an elite forward. Pipe dream I know but just a thought.
There's no way in hell we have the cap space for Suter and Burns. The two of them together is 10 million without blinking.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
There's no way in hell we have the cap space for Suter and Burns. The two of them together is 10 million without blinking.
It is kind of doable, in two years alot of contracts will be gone..

Avery 2m
Drury 7m
Redden 6m

thats 15m in capspace.. Gaborik could be traded in two years.. idk anything can happen.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

We don't need both Suter and Burns.

Just get me one of them to play with Staal (preferably Burnsy) so our defense looks like this:

Staal - Burns
Sauer - Girardi
McDonagh - who really cares

That is a defense that is beyond epic.

I am not in favor of spending all that money on defense.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm saying if they don't sign Richards and stand pat, you have Drury, Wolski, and Avery off the books that's roughly 13 million right there.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:

Just get me one of them to play with Staal (preferably Burnsy) so our defense looks like this:

Staal - Burns
Sauer - Girardi

I'm greedy lol

Old
05-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:

Staal - Burns
Sauer - Girardi

I'd put Burns with Sauer. Girardi needs to be with a #1. Great shot-blocker, but his positioning at times is messy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I've hardly noticed him in these past two rounds of the playoffs.... I'm quite happy we didn't trade Dubinsky or any other valued Rangers for him when he was being shopped....
I wouldn't be so categorical. We are not Sharks, we need regular season performance to get to playoffs. For that Heater is much better than Dubi as well as some other "valued" Rangers. What exactly Dubinski did in playoffs? ha?
Top line players are usually neutralized during playoff much better than regular season, because hockey is less creative and more destructive in playoffs. Playoffs is a bottom 6 time. TB missed Seguin once, not anymore. Kessler is covered, etc. I wouldn't blame Heatley, I'd rather give credit to the opposing coach and his players. And I would love to give Dubi + for him this summer.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote