HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rafalski to retire, possibly Lidstrom. What does this mean for Markov?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
  #26
Aeneas
Registered User
 
Aeneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Wiz may want to go to detroit and even take a discount, hes from the area and had a family member play on the wings, seems like a good place to settle? Cant see Markov in Detroit though

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
  #27
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
Wiz may want to go to detroit and even take a discount, hes from the area and had a family member play on the wings, seems like a good place to settle? Cant see Markov in Detroit though
yeah I was just over on the Detroit board, seems like alot of their fans want Wiz

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
  #28
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I wish Montreal would do this. And while I will try and avoid my usual Timmins bashing, I don't see the loss of a few 1st round picks to be a huge concern at this point.
15ish+ first round picks are not bad, but it's not a huge loss. Not if you get a guy like Weber in his prime. A beast who will remain a beast for the next 15 years. If there's a guy to offer sheet, it's someone like him IMO. But I've been wrong in the past.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:11 PM
  #29
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I wish Montreal would do this. And while I will try and avoid my usual Timmins bashing, I don't see the loss of a few 1st round picks to be a huge concern at this point.
No scenario in which Montreal gets Weber signed to a contract good enough to be beneficial for the team also involves Nashville not matching. Which is why star RFA's don't get offer sheeted unless their them in in financial difficulty.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
  #30
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I hope not. Let them overpay for the Wiz.
Also, I know how much they value veteran defencemen who have put up points in the past, especially those with Stanley Cup Finals experience.

It would kill me to part with him, but if they made us a good offer for Jaro Spacek, perhaps we could make a deal.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:42 PM
  #31
Hank Scorpio
Registered User
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
I don't think we have much to worry about, at least no more then we have to already. Detroit already has a replacement for one of them in their system (Brendan Smith) who is almost ready to transition from the AHL to NHL (a season at most).

Furthermore, this is Detroit. There are no shortage of players close to 40 who may retire this year so saying 'will have a huge bearing on... one of his teammates retires as well...' doesn't necessarily mean it's Lidstrom. It very well could be, I wouldn't be surprised if he did (or didn't), but it could also be Holmstrom, Draper or Modano. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Draper, who missed nearly half the season due to injury, retiring and Lidstrom staying another season. Of course, we're talking about a pair of 40+ year old players so if both retired tomorrow.

Lastly, even if it is Lidstrom, I don't see Markov or Wisniewski leaving Montreal, should terms be reached, which is a sure thing for Detroit which may be uncertain. I think it's fair to assume Markov is already comfortable here and Wisniewski (likely) just wants to be comfortable somewhere without having to move in a year or less and we're a competitive team, if either leave this summer it will be because the two parties couldn't reach terms, not because they want to play for Detroit. Of course, the silver lining in all this, is given the demand for puck-moving defencemen, is that if we were to shop the rights of one of these two defencemen we may end up with a better return then expected.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:43 PM
  #32
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Detroit is so amazing it has suyper-duper special powers across the league where they can sign players before they hit free agency.


Poor humor aside, if Lidstrom retires, expect Detroit to start a slow progressive slide ike NJ.

Unless by any miracle they can someone half decent to replace him, and even then.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:57 PM
  #33
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Rafalski retired today and this just frees up 6M$ in cap space for the Wings. Rumors has it (Eklund) that it might encourage Lidstrom to do the same. Hypothetical question: what if Lidstrom does retire too? Wings would find themselves in a situation with two puck-mover defenceman spots to fill, and a lot of cash. I don't know if there is a connection between Datsyuk and Markov, but if I'm Holland, I'd try everything to sign Markov and make him play on the powerplay with Datsyuk. Those two would be dynamite. And they do have the money to sign him.

I know this have been an issue last time Markov have been a UFA, with him being friend and Ovechkin, and it never happened. But still, I'm discussing the possibility.
Rafalski didn't retire, it's only reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Depending on Lidstrom - Detroit will have to completely rebuilt there defense. Ericsson is gone too maybe salei. they ll have 3 or 4 openings.
Ericsson is gone? How so? He's still Detroit property and I don't really see why he wouldn't be given a good offer nor do I see a reason as to him wanting to leave.



You guys should chill a bit. There's a good chance Detroit will have Rafalski, Lidstrom and Ericsson at the beginning the season.
Let's see what happens.

As for Markov, it changes absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
15ish+ first round picks are not bad, but it's not a huge loss. Not if you get a guy like Weber in his prime. A beast who will remain a beast for the next 15 years. If there's a guy to offer sheet, it's someone like him IMO. But I've been wrong in the past.
Weber would likely bring back the maximum compensation back to the Preds in an offersheet if not matched.
If Weber wants out, I believe the Preds will try to shop him to a team where Weber would like to play for. So, if ever Mtl would be one, perhaps Gauthier could try to make a deal that would swing this our way and end up being a steal. If not, then there's always the offersheet option where we'd give up a lot of picks.

In any event, if Weber would want to sign here, I'd make it happen right away.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:21 PM
  #34
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Weber would likely bring back the maximum compensation back to the Preds in an offersheet if not matched.
If Weber wants out, I believe the Preds will try to shop him to a team where Weber would like to play for. So, if ever Mtl would be one, perhaps Gauthier could try to make a deal that would swing this our way and end up being a steal. If not, then there's always the offersheet option where we'd give up a lot of picks.

In any event, if Weber would want to sign here, I'd make it happen right away.
Hence why I said first round picks.

I'm fully aware that an offer sheet would mean the max compensation. I think a guy like Weber is definitely worth it. Now, is Weber worth 7-8M/per ? That's what it would take to even have a hope to pry him away from Nashville I'd think. Anything under 7M would be matched for sure. I dunno really...

As to whether Weber would want to sign here or not... he's a RFA, I'd think he'd sign whatever offer sheet over 7M he gets.


Last edited by Des Louise: 05-23-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
  #35
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I hope not. Let them overpay for the Wiz.
Or rather, one of Ehrhoff, Pitkanen or Kaberle.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:42 PM
  #36
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,246
vCash: 500
If Markov isn't signed before July 1st, I won't be surprised in the least to see him sign with Detroit very quickly.

Holland is the kind of GM who will make calculated gambles, and with Rafalski off the books @ 6M$, and only Kronwall in line for a big raise in the next 2-3 seasons, they could easily afford to offer Markov close to 6M$ over 2-3 seasons (or a longer deal for a smaller cap hit).


If PG doesn't make it happen by July 1st, then it will be pretty clear to Markov that the team isn't committed to him, making it more likely for him to take the best deal on the market... with Detroit being a team in the market (and being a consistent contender and one of the best run/coached clubs in the league) it's hard to see him not landing there.


I wish PG would just get it done now, and then focus his time and energy preparing for draft day. No need to keep the Markov file open unless the team plans to move on, which would be a big mistake imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
  #37
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If Markov isn't signed before July 1st, I won't be surprised in the least to see him sign with Detroit very quickly.

Holland is the kind of GM who will make calculated gambles, and with Rafalski off the books @ 6M$, and only Kronwall in line for a big raise in the next 2-3 seasons, they could easily afford to offer Markov close to 6M$ over 2-3 seasons (or a longer deal for a smaller cap hit).


If PG doesn't make it happen by July 1st, then it will be pretty clear to Markov that the team isn't committed to him, making it more likely for him to take the best deal on the market... with Detroit being a team in the market (and being a consistent contender and one of the best run/coached clubs in the league) it's hard to see him not landing there.


I wish PG would just get it done now, and then focus his time and energy preparing for draft day. No need to keep the Markov file open unless the team plans to move on, which would be a big mistake imo.
I expect the Markov signing to be announced in the next couple of days. Last time, it was end May as well.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
  #38
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe View Post
I don't think it's a connection to DET, but a connection to Datsyuk. They both played for Dynamo Moscow during the lockout together, as well as many times on an international level. I highly doubt Lidstrom retires this year, he'll give it one more go. Markov is quite happy in Montreal, that's not going to change. Det to target a younger D man... Wiz, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Bieska?
Markov is better friends with Ovechkin and there was talk last time he would go to Washington but he signed in Montreal.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
  #39
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Rafalski didn't retire, it's only reports.


Ericsson is gone? How so? He's still Detroit property and I don't really see why he wouldn't be given a good offer nor do I see a reason as to him wanting to leave.



You guys should chill a bit. There's a good chance Detroit will have Rafalski, Lidstrom and Ericsson at the beginning the season.
Let's see what happens.

As for Markov, it changes absolutely nothing.
Rafalski is retiring, Ericsson is a UFA and reportedly turned down the wings. Salei is also a UFA and Lidstrom may retire too.
Lots of holes on their defense.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
  #40
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,572
vCash: 500
Goodbye wizniewski....

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:42 PM
  #41
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
No scenario in which Montreal gets Weber signed to a contract good enough to be beneficial for the team also involves Nashville not matching. Which is why star RFA's don't get offer sheeted unless their them in in financial difficulty.
I think you have too much faith in the Nashville market, to think they are financially stable. As with all non-traditional hockey markets, the stability can change year to year.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
  #42
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Rafalski is retiring, Ericsson is a UFA and reportedly turned down the wings. Salei is also a UFA and Lidstrom may retire too.
Lots of holes on their defense.
Sure and at the same time I could tell you, Rafalski hasn't announced anything, neither did Lidstrom, both could re-sign, Detroit are currently in negotiations with Ericsson and Salei is easily replaceable.
Might not have too many holes after all.

Also, what report said Ericsson turned down Detroit?
According to himself, he hasn't even started talking with them and expects Holland and his agent to start talks in June. He also said he's aware he could probably get more from a club as an UFA but he wants to stay in Detroit.

http://www.nt.se/nyheter/?articleid=6837553
(Swedish. Thx Detroit board)

He apparently turned down an offer but that was back in February. That doesn't mean anything.

You might be looking into this a little too much.
Detroit might end up with 4 holes. They might end up with 0 as well.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:56 PM
  #43
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Well if detroit is interested and we have a deal with markov then pg needs to be active and offer first dibs on wiz to detroit by trading his rights for pick......anything seriously lol.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
  #44
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
I don't see Kenny Holland as a guy that would overpay for wiz. But since its his hometown and its a great orginization I could see him going there for 4-4.5 a year.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:53 PM
  #45
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Rafalski retired today and this just frees up 6M$ in cap space for the Wings. Rumors has it (Eklund) that it might encourage Lidstrom to do the same. Hypothetical question: what if Lidstrom does retire too? Wings would find themselves in a situation with two puck-mover defenceman spots to fill, and a lot of cash. I don't know if there is a connection between Datsyuk and Markov, but if I'm Holland, I'd try everything to sign Markov and make him play on the powerplay with Datsyuk. Those two would be dynamite. And they do have the money to sign him.

I know this have been an issue last time Markov have been a UFA, with him being friend and Ovechkin, and it never happened. But still, I'm discussing the possibility.
I never really thought about markov being a threat to leave. Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines that this gives the wings ample room to go after another ufa who just happens to be from michigan in james wisniewski.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:23 AM
  #46
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Goodbye wizniewski....
I didn't know Detroit had the uber power of being able to sign players before they became free agents. That's how powerful Detroit is around the league.


If we have to say goodbye to Wiz, it's because the Habs will chose to not sign him, it doesn't work the other way around.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:38 AM
  #47
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Maybe the friend Eklund was talking about was SCOTT GOMEZ?! Surely Scott Gomez is one of the greats right?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:53 AM
  #48
buddahsmoka1
Registered User
 
buddahsmoka1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: México, D.F.
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sure and at the same time I could tell you, Rafalski hasn't announced anything, neither did Lidstrom, both could re-sign, Detroit are currently in negotiations with Ericsson and Salei is easily replaceable.
Might not have too many holes after all.

Also, what report said Ericsson turned down Detroit?
According to himself, he hasn't even started talking with them and expects Holland and his agent to start talks in June. He also said he's aware he could probably get more from a club as an UFA but he wants to stay in Detroit.
Huh?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
  #49
Kaputa1340
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
defense

Ericsson turned down a 2 year 2 mill deal. his dad wants him to sign but after he turned down that deal the wings stopped talking to him. He said "I want to stay in detroit but i'll take more money elsewhere." ericsson is a bit of a question mark. I like him becasue of the flashes of mobility he shows but he's pretty lazy. If they can get him for 2.5 which is all he's worth then that would be ok but i wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't in a wings uni next year. Holland said smith was ready to play 15 or 16 minutes a night in the nhl this past season so he takes rafalski's spot. If anyone watched the playoffs then you knew this was coming, raf's looked awful. Kindl takes salei's spot so they really have no holes unless lidstrom retires. But, remember lidstrom playing with weber at the all star game? Following the all star game, weber said... nothing against ryan suter becasue he's a great player but man, i'd love to play with nick for a season, the guy is amazing. i could see detroit trying to lock weber up long term now that rafalski is gone. the otehr thign on their table is that the caps owner wants filppula and is willing to give them mike green. They have options and with datsyuk they will never turn into new jersey. They get a bit younger on d this year with smith and kindl and those guys are their future on the blueline. Don't forget kronner played more minutes than lidstrom in the playoffs and he played well.

Kaputa1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:07 AM
  #50
SeriousFan09
Registered User
 
SeriousFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
Wisniewski is more likely DET's target and he makes sense for them, replaces Rafalski and brings a fair amount of grit.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.