HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most popular sport franchise in Philadelphia

Old
05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Slowbro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
By harder to follow I was referring to the sport itself which is hard to see away from the puck and is too fast, and not the dial location... and the Sixers and Phillies are bumped to TCN just as often as the Flyers if not more... it all depends on various circumstances but they all are shown on HDTV equally really, there is just a conflict in schedule that they adjust for... no slight to any team on TCN rather than CSN or the over the air channel.
ah, i see. i misunderstood. i would agree with that but also use that as a point as to why the sixers are more popular in this city than the flyers.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
just because its what you care about doesnt mean it is what others care about. and if others cared about it as much as you do... guess what? they would talk about it.

edit: they would also hire intelligent hockey minds if it mattered as much as basketball.

Trust me...the Wizards might as well not exist here. People are constantly complaining about the lack of hockey coverage, and whenever the local sports radio attempts to fulfill their requests they usually fall completely flat and give up quickly. The media doesn't hire competent hockey talent because I suspect there isn't a whole lot to go around in the states.

05-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Trust me...the Wizards might as well not exist here. People are constantly complaining about the lack of hockey coverage, and whenever the local sports radio attempts to fulfill their requests they usually fall completely flat and give up quickly. The media doesn't hire competent hockey talent because I suspect there isn't a whole lot to go around in the states.
i understand that. my argument, which also applies to DC, is that if the wizards had AO like talent and were constantly touted as the best in the league, things would change and the tables would be turned.

also, the bolded part sounds a lot like The Fanatic, which i have grown to disdain over the years.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
yeah i understand that and as a hockey fan, i get it- don't worry. i dont support the sixers more than the flyers, i just dont have the tunnel vision many hockey fans do, no offense.
Your vision is not tunneled... merely greatly skewed, no offense.

If it is because I am a hockey fan that I am lifting the Flyers why do I say the Eagles and Phillies are hands down ahead of the Flyers?

I'm just saying that when the Flyers are slighted the people here on a hockey board tend to not let it slip by... as they maybe would with other sports and teams.

Please excuse me if I point out that you are the only one who seriously has the stance you are making here... You and the idiots who just hate hockey and love the NBA and Sixers. I openly admit that the NBA is a greater league and basketball is a more popular sport in the entire USA, just not in the Philly Area with the Sixers and Flyers.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
i understand that. my argument, which also applies to DC, is that if the wizards had AO like talent and were constantly touted as the best in the league, things would change and the tables would be turned.

also, the bolded part sounds a lot like The Fanatic, which i have grown to disdain over the years.
It's awful. listening to them discuss hockey is slightly less satisfying than snorting concrete dust.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Your vision is not tunneled... merely greatly skewed, no offense.

If it is because I am a hockey fan that I am lifting the Flyers why do I say the Eagles and Phillies are hands down ahead of the Flyers?
that is not up for debate because it is such a clear cut fact those two are more popular. now if the argument was which is more popular, eagles or phillies? that is certainly an argument worth going into.

Quote:
I'm just saying that when the Flyers are slighted the people here on a hockey board tend to not let it slip by... as they maybe would with other sports and teams.

Please excuse me if I point out that you are the only one who seriously has the stance you are making here... You and the idiots who just hate hockey and love the NBA and Sixers. I openly admit that the NBA is a greater league and basketball is a more popular sport in the entire USA, just not in the Philly Area with the Sixers and Flyers.
and i will say it again, if you take kobe and put him on the sixers or the big three in boston or derrick rose from the bulls, you would be singing another tune. it is unfair to bring up other demographics but not imagine what if those other teams were in fact here in philadelphia? the sixers aren't a terrible team and it won't be long before this argument becomes even more relevant.

also, why even entertain the idea if it is common knowledge that hockey elitists will tear apart anyone that says anything other than the norm? is it self-gratifying to just read post after post of hockey fans stating that the flyers are bigger than the sixers when a large population of the city of philadelphia would say otherwise? isn't that the debate here? not what would be more popular here, on a flyers forum, but in the whole city of philadelphia?

Last edited by Slowbro: 05-24-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old
05-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Two years ago, the Sixers couldn't sell out their playoff games. I don't know, that says something to me about their popularity. Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a Sixers t-shirt in about a year...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's awful. listening to them discuss hockey is slightly less satisfying than snorting concrete dust.
Listening to Howard Eskin trying to discuss hockey is attune to hearing nails being scraped across a chalkboard. If he would just mimic what experts said i wouldn't be so bad... but he tries to take an argumentative/controversial route like he does with the Eagles and sounds like a smacked ass in the process... Once, many years ago he was trying to remember if Hasak won a Stanley Cup with Buffalo... And he argued with my son about how a captain in hockey really didn't mean much at all to he team.

There are a handful of people who know enough about hockey to even understand how it is played, let alone the inside workings of it... and most fans who understand and care stay clear and don't even bother to waste their time and call. Many who do call know hardly anything and just ant to hear themselves talk... It s sad and frustrating.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Two years ago, the Sixers couldn't sell out their playoff games. I don't know, that says something to me about their popularity. Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a Sixers t-shirt in about a year...
could that be because they aren't playing very well? how about the resurgence of phillies shirts? and flyers jerseys? could that be because they are winning?

two years ago the sixers were still just stepping stone for more serious contenders. switch the phillies and the sixers in terms of success and i bet you'd see facebook statuses about the sixers and more shirts than you'd know what to do with. what shirt would you want to buy from the sixers? brand? igudoala? TURNER? but would you buy a bryant? garnett? paul? yes.

that is just how sports work and i know i will never ever get an agreement on this board and that is fine. the fans come and go as sports team rise and fall. hockey is just an anomaly when it comes to that. ESPECIALLY in a market like philadelphia. with that being said just because the flyers are so entrenched in a relatively SMALL number of peoples lives who go to the games and buy the shirts does not mean it outweighs the many millions of sixers fans who dont want to pay to see a ****** product and buy shirts with ****** names.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
that is not up for debate because it is such a clear cut fact those two are more popular. now if the argument was which is more popular, eagles or phillies? that is certainly an argument worth going into.

and i will say it again, if you take kobe and put him on the sixers or the big three in boston or derrick rose from the bulls, you would be singing another tune. it is unfair to bring up other demographics but not imagine what if those other teams were in fact here in philadelphia? the sixers aren't a terrible team and it won't be long before this argument becomes even more relevant.

also, why even entertain the idea if it is common knowledge that hockey elitists will tear apart anyone that says anything other than the norm? is it self-gratifying to just read post after post of hockey fans stating that the flyers are bigger than the sixers when a large population of the city of philadelphia would say otherwise? isn't that the debate here? not what would be more popular here, on a flyers forum, but in the whole city of philadelphia?
One more time:

Flyers went five straight years without making the Postseason and had very high 90s % attendance.

Sixers with AI in their best years had nowhere near that in attendance.

... Also we have what we have. If we had the Yankees and all their WS Championships over the years would the Eagles have been the number one team?

The teams are their organizations and they are what they are... The Flyers are more popular because they try every year and are in the hunt; the Sixers aren't... the debate is NOT which team is more popular if they were different, it is today they are more popular because they are what they are.

...And how large would the Flyers fan base be if they had the Devils Cups or the Pens Superstars or the Habs history?... They Flyers fans are not bandwagon fans like the Sixers fans are; they for the most part stay with their team.

The Flyers are more popular because they are the Flyers... the Sixers are less popular because they are the Sixers. If we want to pretend that they are the Lakers and the Flyers are the Islander... Hell, they still be more popular.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
One more time:

Flyers went five straight years without making the Postseason and had very high 90s % attendance.

Sixers with AI in their best years had nowhere near that in attendance.

... Also we have what we have. If we had the Yankees and all their WS Championships over the years would the Eagles have been the number one team?

The teams are their organizations and they are what they are... The Flyers are more popular because they try every year and are in the hunt; the Sixers aren't... the debate is NOT which team is more popular if they were different, it is today they are more popular because they are what they are.

...And how large would the Flyers fan base be if they had the Devils Cups or the Pens Superstars or the Habs history?... They Flyers fans are not bandwagon fans like the Sixers fans are; they for the most part stay with their team.

The Flyers are more popular because they are the Flyers... the Sixers are less popular because they are the Sixers. If we want to pretend that they are the Lakers and the Flyers are the Islander... Hell, they still be more popular.
i'd like to see those attendance numbers. ****, when AI made his return they sold out the first 3 games IIRC. i only brought up other cities because the other poster brought up other cities with significantly better NBA teams as if it would help the argument..

bandwagon fans is such a stupid phrase. sure there are die hard flyers fans as well as sixers fans but to think the flyers dont have bandwagon fans, think again. the flyers have a core group of fans who atttend all the games and keep the numbers high and buy the merch. the sixers have all of that, they just dont attend the ****** games. the NHL isnt like that, and pardon what i am about to say, but it is probably because hockey fans get so god damn uptight whenever their sport is threatened or imposed upon. dont even get me started on "fairweather" hockey fans. god forbid someone new to the sport wants to get in on the action..

Last edited by Slowbro: 05-24-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old
05-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
could that be because they aren't playing very well? how about the resurgence of phillies shirts? and flyers jerseys? could that be because they are winning?

two years ago the sixers were still just stepping stone for more serious contenders. switch the phillies and the sixers in terms of success and i bet you'd see facebook statuses about the sixers and more shirts than you'd know what to do with. what shirt would you want to buy from the sixers? brand? igudoala? TURNER? but would you buy a bryant? garnett? paul? yes.

that is just how sports work and i know i will never ever get an agreement on this board and that is fine. the fans come and go as sports team rise and fall. hockey is just an anomaly when it comes to that. ESPECIALLY in a market like philadelphia. with that being said just because the flyers are so entrenched in a relatively SMALL number of peoples lives who go to the games and buy the shirts does not mean it outweighs the many millions of sixers fans who dont want to pay to see a ****** product and buy shirts with ****** names.
Flyers fans have soldout or been near sellout every season since the early 70s. Bad years or good... still near sellout seasons... I wouldn't be surprised if one day Philly loses the Sixers due to lack of support and loss of money even with the NBA huge TV contract and other major teams.

I honestly believe you are just being contrary... you can' be ignoring facts so much. Do you really want to continue arguing if a dead franchise who is continually bad suddenly had great superstars they would be out the Flyers who all of a sudden would be bad on a yearly basis? Really? Are you going to continue that argument?

Old
05-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Flyers fans have soldout or been near sellout every season since the early 70s. Bad years or good... still near sellout seasons... I wouldn't be surprised if one day Philly loses the Sixers due to lack of support and loss of money even with the NBA huge TV contract and other major teams.

I honestly believe you are just being contrary... you can' be ignoring facts so much. Do you really want to continue arguing if a dead franchise who is continually bad suddenly had great superstars they would be out the Flyers who all of a sudden would be bad on a yearly basis? Really? Are you going to continue that argument?
really? are you going to be so naive to think that if the sixers didn't land a superstar(s) they wouldn't become instantly, indisputably more popular? and i wasn't assuming the flyers would be bad, just that the sixers would finally be great.

look at miami, TERRIBLE sports market but the heat are the top dog. marlins suck (won a ws), the dolphins suck (were great for a really long time). heat + superstars = instant success.

it is easy to compare two teams with very strong fan bases (despite your inability to believe that of the sixers) and only talk on the surface numbers. the two teams are in very different parts of their respective cycle. the flyers are contenders, top 5 in the league. the sixers are rebuilding (albeit for a long while) and while the flyers maintain their competitive edge year after year, the same cannot be said for the sixers. it can be argued that it is because basketball is one sport that literally relies on only 1-2 players for your team to be great, thus making it harder to gain that edge. the same cannot be said for the flyers who always remain competitive because the talent is more spread out. lets not get into the goalie controversy though, although that left a nasty taste in a lot of flyers fans mouths (of course they dont post on here)

Last edited by Slowbro: 05-24-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old
05-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
i'd like to see those attendance numbers. ****, when AI made his return they sold out the first 3 games IIRC. i only brought up other cities because the other poster brought up other cities with significantly better NBA teams as if it would help the argument..

bandwagon fans is such a stupid phrase. sure there are die hard flyers fans as well as sixers fans but to think the flyers dont have bandwagon fans, think again. the flyers have a core group of fans who atttend all the games and keep the numbers high and buy the merch. the sixers have all of that, they just dont attend the ****** games. the NHL isnt like that, and pardon what i am about to say, but it is probably because hockey fans get so god damn uptight whenever their sport is threatened or imposed upon. dont even get me started on "fairweather" hockey fans. god forbid someone new to the sport wants to get in on the action..
Do you want to talk about three sellouts when AI returned and compare that with a complete season of Flyers games averaging over 100% capacity -- remember 100% capacity is often surpassed -- and multiply that by many seasons over several decades? Look up the numbers if you doubt me... check out both teams.

Face it the Sixers sadly are an afterthought and if they leave they would be missed by very few,

I attended a Sixers game with free passes the Flyers gave me... I enjoyed the game but it was like day and night compared with Flyers games... both in numbers and spirit. It was like a ghost town, and that was with a painted house hanks to free tickets offered by the Flyers although not many took hem up on the offer.

Have you attended Sixers games? The Phantoms had greater support it almost seemed like with their paper houses.

Look at the Phillies with their 150+ straight sellouts and Eagles with all their and the Flyers filling the house game in and game out -- like a half dozen early season games not sold out by a hundred or so empty seats -- and then attend a Sixers game with its three sellouts when AI first came back... then tell me what you see, what you feel.

And as to the few core Flyers fans... The Season tickets are shared and sold off, we can' afford to attend all the game both time-wise and money-wise... the almost 20K per game are not the same 20K,

Old
05-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
really? are you going to be so naive to think that if the sixers didn't land a superstar(s) they wouldn't become instantly, indisputably more popular? and i wasn't assuming the flyers would be bad, just that the sixers would finally be great.

look at miami, TERRIBLE sports market but the heat are the top dog. marlins suck (won a ws), the dolphins suck (were great for a really long time). heat + superstars = instant success.

it is easy to compare two teams with very strong fan bases (despite your inability to believe that of the sixers) and only talk on the surface numbers. the two teams are in very different parts of their respective cycle. the flyers are contenders, top 5 in the league. the sixers are rebuilding (albeit for a long while) and while the flyers maintain their competitive edge year after year, the same cannot be said for the sixers. it can be argued that it is because basketball is one sport that literally relies on only 1-2 players for your team to be great, thus making it harder to gain that edge. the same cannot be said for the flyers who always remain competitive because the talent is more spread out. lets not get into the goalie controversy though, although that left a nasty taste in a lot of flyers fans mouths (of course they dont post on here)
Wait... I thought we were talking real teams and not pretend teams... If we are talking make believe then I will let you win that a make believe Sixers team is more popular than a make believe Flyers team.

I believe its called fantasy sports you're debating... I was talking what is on the ice and on the court every year.

I will cave in... your make believe Sixers team is more popular. Have a good rest of the night.

Peace

Old
05-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Do you want to talk about three sellouts when AI returned and compare that with a complete season of Flyers games averaging over 100% capacity -- remember 100% capacity is often surpassed -- and multiply that by many seasons over several decades? Look up the numbers if you doubt me... check out both teams.

Face it the Sixers sadly are an afterthought and if they leave they would be missed by very few,

I attended a Sixers game with free passes the Flyers gave me... I enjoyed the game but it was like day and night compared with Flyers games... both in numbers and spirit. It was like a ghost town, and that was with a painted house hanks to free tickets offered by the Flyers although not many took hem up on the offer.

Have you attended Sixers games? The Phantoms had greater support it almost seemed like with their paper houses.

Look at the Phillies with their 150+ straight sellouts and Eagles with all their and the Flyers filling the house game in and game out -- like a half dozen early season games not sold out by a hundred or so empty seats -- and then attend a Sixers game with its three sellouts when AI first came back... then tell me what you see, what you feel.

And as to the few core Flyers fans... The Season tickets are shared and sold off, we can' afford to attend all the game both time-wise and money-wise... the almost 20K per game are not the same 20K,
i used the three games with AI as an example of me not believing your attendance claims about him and their prime.

i have been to sixers game and many when it has come down to OT or a buzzer beater. have you? it is quite exhilarating. it is not the same as a hockey game, of course not. it isn't the same kind of fast pace action so to use that as an argument is weak. also, stating that because many hockey fans didn't take up an offer for basketball tickets is weak as well.

if you think the phillies literally sell out every game.. well.. i cant even count how many phillies game i have been to where they announce the sell out and more then 1/3 of the seats are empty. did 10k just decide not to come? or sell their tickets? or give them to friends? it is all inflated and the same goes for NHL arena's more often than not.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Wait... I thought we were talking real teams and not pretend teams... If we are talking make believe then I will let you win that a make believe Sixers team is more popular than a make believe Flyers team.

I believe its called fantasy sports you're debating... I was talking what is on the ice and on the court every year.

I will cave in... your make believe Sixers team is more popular. Have a good rest of the night.

Peace
you called them a dead franchise. i called it fans in limbo waiting for a reason to come out.

to each their own.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Slowbro

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2001

pretty good numbers up until 2006 when the fans finally realized they had a dud for a team..

Old
05-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Slowbro

http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-a...nagain-2010-12

just a link to show attendance across the league. notice the numbers for teams with superstars and those without? just a thought..

Old
05-24-2011, 08:39 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
you called them a dead franchise. i called it fans in limbo waiting for a reason to come out.

to each their own.
The only flaw in your arguement is that they will be waiting in limbo for quite a while. Even when Iverson was on the team, besides the year they went to the finals, his great skills along with basically nothing else on the team kept them in the average to above average tier of teams. What that equals is mid 1st round picks. The Sixers always seem to have some star or semi-star capable of winning enough games to make the playoffs, but go nowhere past the 2nd round. If not the playoffs, close enough to warrant no chance at a good lottery chance.

The NBA more than any other league is a case of the haves and the have-nots and for the have-nots to rise above is all about getting lucky. Whether it is getting lucky with a later draft pick, or happening to have a horrible team just before a Lebron enters the draft, there is too much luck that goes into the NBA.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Gibbs18

Ever since the Phillies won the World Series there has been a lot of fans. Bandwagoners smh.

Id say right now

Phillies
Eagles
Flyers
Sixers

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-a...nagain-2010-12

just a link to show attendance across the league. notice the numbers for teams with superstars and those without? just a thought..
You're arguing some BS hypothetical nonsense that has no root in reality. "If the 76ers were a #1 team, people would LOVE them."

Well, they're not, and have been a terrible team for years...and therefore are less popular, which is the *ing question at hand. Whether or not they would be more popular in a magical hypothetical land where they have superstars on their team is completely irrelevant, because that isn't the case, and never really has been.

Nobody has cared about that team since AI left. And even then, outside of the season where they made the finals, they were still arguably at/below the Flyers in popularity.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Like it or not, IMO the Eagles have lost support and people wearing their colors because of Vick... As I said they are still number one with their die hard base, but I see their support being not where it was before Vick. Many people left like me... I assume Vick has drawn some also; I'd guess the net is a loss though.
False.

All those people who talked big about giving up their season tickets flat out didn't. I usually move up about 100 spots on the season ticket waiting list every year, last year I moved up 112 spots. You're the exception (and have every right to your opinion).

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

The Flyers have much better attendance and local tv ratings than the Sixers. The Flyers have much more popular since the early 90s once the Sixers traded Barkley and the Flyers drafted Lindros.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Edit: Hit submit too early by mistake

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote