HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

david clarkson to habs

Old
05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
To Mtl:
Clarkson
White

To NJ:
Pouliot
Spacek
4th 2011

NJ adds skilled depth players, while Mtl adds gritty depth players. Mtl gets the slightly better quality of players, NJ gets the extra pick, a small cap savings now and 2.7M$ off the books for 2012.

both teams get a bit of what they need, depth-wise, neither team gives up a hugely valuable asset.
We're not doing any deal that involves Spacek.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
Not many devils earned their paycheck last year. Clarkson was one of them. It's amazing what a coach can do. He played a lot better near the end if the year. The year before he played a lot better and earned a nice paycheck. He could return to that form as a third line 25 goal guy.
Whut ?
I would offer a 3rd from MTL , if we have some cap space left after we sign our important player.

I don't want to hijack this thread but is Colin White available ? If yes , he's still decent to be on a second pair ?

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
He's likely not available.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Whut ?
I would offer a 3rd from MTL , if we have some cap space left after we sign our important player.

I don't want to hijack this thread but is Colin White available ? If yes , he's still decent to be on a second pair ?
He went from 9 goals to 17 goals. Then the year before this horrible season he was on pace for aprox. 27 goals before he got injured and wasn't the same after he came back.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
yes
another plug for the habs
ugh

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
habsinottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
A player like Clarkson could be of interest to the Habs. However, you really need to wait on that. See how the rest of the payroll shakes out, because Clarkson's contract is a huge premium for what he does, and it's likely/hopeful that the Habs won't have any room to take on any more premium contracts. Chasing a physical winger on the UFA market would be a priority ahead of trading for Clarkson too.

But I guess if for some reason you hit August, didn't have anybody left to sign in that role as a UFA, had oodles of cap-space remaining... well, maybe. Mind you, by that time the Devils will have their payroll sorted out too, and if LL loves Clarkson so much, I guess there would be no further point to them just dumping him off before camp.
^This. I would have liked Clarkson on our roster two years ago. Now, I think we have other options, and he shouldn't be one of them.

habsinottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:46 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Whut ?
to be honest, i would like to see the devils try to move white (especially if salvador is okay to play again this coming season). white is too redundant considering the other guys the devils have locked up and is the worst with the puck (whereas salvadors puck moving/passing ability is decent for a player of his type). tough though b/c he has a NTC and i just dont see him being moved. i personally would take a 2nd or 3rd for him though if someone was willing to offer it.

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
habsrule22

aren t our chance greater of doing a trade with chicago than NJ. I rather get a brouwer out of chicago than clarkson

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Clarkson has 0 value at his contract. You're paying us so you can keep Parise.
Nonsense. Clarkson has plenty of value if he can regain his 20 goal form. Injuries and terrible coaching have kept him from that, but I expect him to break out soon. He can hit, fight, score, cycle, and play decent defence. Not many players have the same skillset.

And the Devils can fit Parise's contract under the cap quite comfortably, even without moving anybody. Clarkson will not be a salary dump, especially not the way Lou regards him.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Nonsense. Clarkson has plenty of value if he can regain his 20 goal form. Injuries and terrible coaching have kept him from that, but I expect him to break out soon. He can hit, fight, score, cycle, and play decent defence. Not many players have the same skillset.
And yet your fans are willing to trade him for a 3rd round pick?

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
"What have you done for me lately?"

He's currently overpaid for his production last season, which was his first under his new contract. He didn't live up to it, but I feel it has more to do with the entire team being horrible because of MacLean, than Clarkson regressing. I'm willing to give him another chance, and I fully expect him to score ~15-20 goals this season, while providing much needed grit to the Devils' bottom 6.

Most importantly, he has a very good relationship with Lou, and I can't see Lou letting him go so cheaply. He certainly isn't a salary dump like some Habs posters are claiming.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Maxpac

Not sure if Clarkson is a "must" for the Habs with the emergence of Ryan White now who will make a killer 4th line pest in the future, not to mention he was once the WHL scoring leader...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Not sure if Clarkson is a "must" for the Habs with the emergence of Ryan White now who will make a killer 4th line pest in the future, not to mention he was once the WHL scoring leader...
Wouldn't hurt to give White some backup.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Patty Roy

I'd give you a 3rd for Clarkson.

He's overpaid, but i like what he brings to the table.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
We need more than just White. Clarkson could play on the 3rd line and maybe take some shifts with Cammalleri and Plekanec.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Clarkson gets his value from being able to do literally everything a hockey player needs to do. Unfortunately, he's only above average in a few categories. He's a quality 3rd liner, but I don't care for his contract given the Devils cap situation. In reality, we're anxious to trade the contract. Not player.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
We need more than just White. Clarkson could play on the 3rd line and maybe take some shifts with Cammalleri and Plekanec.
You've gotta be ****ing kidding me. He isn't worth the mid 3rd rounder (because of the contract) and he definitely wouldn't work on a 2nd line let alone a top (talent) line.

Big no from me.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Conditional 3rd round pick that becomes a 2nd if Clarkson scores 20 goals next year.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Conditional 3rd round pick that becomes a 2nd if Clarkson scores 20 goals next year.
If I were Gauthier I would rather keep my 3rd rounder than pay him 2.7 million per for the next 2 seasons. As a team that spends up to the cap, Habs don't have the luxury to blatantly overpay any more underachieving bottom-six forwards.

The idea of a conditional pick is not bad though. But I'd start with a 5th rounder at best, which could become a 4th if he notches 15 goals, 3rd if 20, etc.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
I think some people are undervaluing Clarkie. He could be a 20+ goal scorer.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
I think some people are undervaluing Clarkie. He could be a 20+ goal scorer.
Weber could become Mark Streit.

At 2.7 million per, and with his recent underachieving, he's just not worth as much as you would like him to.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:50 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

If I was Montreal I would keep my draft pick and sign a physical UFA. Plus it would be at half the cap hit Clarkson is. Even if Clarkson is a little better player than the enforcer/4th liner UFA they sign, it won't be more than 1 win over a full season. Plus the Habs keep their draft pick and free up 1.7 million off their salary cap. They are better off not to trade for Clarkson

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote