HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

red line

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 01:34 PM
PanthersFanatic12

vCash: 500
red line

with the red line gone are speedy young fowards can really benift, i think horton, weiss and huesuilus .etc could put alot of points on the board. we don't know how the red line will effect the team, until the panthers play but who knows with the new rules it may be just the advantage we need . what u guys think

Old
08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
with the red line gone are speedy young fowards can really benift, i think horton, weiss and huesuilus .etc could put alot of points on the board. we don't know how the red line will effect the team, until the panthers play but who knows with the new rules it may be just the advantage we need . what u guys think
Honestly, I think the absence of the red line will most benefit desperation plays - hockey's version of the Hail Mary. Otherwise committing players to leave the zone for the long passes will effectively leave a defending team shorthanded (like when we had Pavel Bure). The change that supposedly will lead to more speed is the smaller neutral zone (hence larger offensive zones), nets being moved back, and liberalized offsides rules.

Who will benefit? Weiss may from having more room to make plays (he was seen as much more a playmaker when drafted, if I recall). Horton won't be much affected since he's more of a power forward who relies less on speed and more on strength. Huselius could benefit if someone gets the puck to him, as he's more of a breakaway scorer. I think Kolnik might also benefit somewhat. Bouwmeester definitely could, if we manage to sign him/don't trade him, as he could intercept a pass while defending and his footspeed could carry him on a breakaway easily. Wonder what his finishing skills are like?

Old
08-18-2005, 03:11 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
Bouwmeester definitely could, if we manage to sign him/don't trade him, as he could intercept a pass while defending and his footspeed could carry him on a breakaway easily. Wonder what his finishing skills are like?
Depends on how much confidence he feels to take the shot.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Honestly, I think the absence of the red line will most benefit desperation plays - hockey's version of the Hail Mary.
I have to disagree. The removal of the redline will be seen two-fold in my opinion. First, it will give the opposite side winger a chance to stretch the defense a lot more on the breakout because he doesn't need to worry about taking himself offside. Second, it will allow all forwards to move with the play a lot more smoothly as teams skate out of their own zone forcing the defense to cover a lot more ice.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
May I ask how old are you?

Old
08-18-2005, 06:50 PM
PanthersFanatic12

how old am i

20 years old

Old
08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
m2k2p

technically the redline is still there, it is just that two-line passes are now allowed.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:05 AM
justapantherfan

Now they take away the two line pass after pavel is gone. Come on we all know he would be sitting on thier blue line and not helping to clear the puck just to get a goal.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
technically the redline is still there, it is just that two-line passes are now allowed.
Just to clarify a bit further, the red line is simply ignored when counting the lines fo ra 2 line pass. You can still get called for a two line pass, but you would have to pass over both blue lines.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
Now they take away the two line pass after pavel is gone. Come on we all know he would be sitting on thier blue line and not helping to clear the puck just to get a goal.

And this is different from how he was utilized by us in what way?

Old
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
PMPuck

I agree that the enlarged offensive zone wil do more to increase scoring than allowing the two line pass (across the red line). In fact, I wonder if for a time, allowing the two line pass may actually detract from the flow in some instances with teams keeping a defensman back to shadow the cherry pickers, thereby leaving one of the points more exposed when the D trys to clear the zone. This will mostly be dictated by teams who are willing to use a cherry picker, the opposing team having to keep a D-man back to cover. At the outset I think most coaches will play it conservative, but hopefully some will realize that having one of your forwards ready to take a breakaway pass may also benefit them on the defenseive side by splitting the attention of the oppositions point men. It will certainly be interesting tosee how this new option is used.

Old
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns
And this is different from how he was utilized by us in what way?

Before he could only hang out at the redline. D-men where watching him a little more. Now he he would be able to really get behind them.

Closed Thread