HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
More soft, lazy, defensively idiotic, choking Euros please. Bonus points if they're in legal trouble.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
dashtary*

I understand that stereotype whether it's true or not. But there's really no risk if you sign him to a cheap one-year deal. If things work out you've got yourself a gem putting up 70+ Points, if not you bury him like the Flyers did.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Stereotype nothing. Zherdev is soft. He is horrible defensively. He is in legal trouble. And he's such a phenomenal choker that you (presumably) watched him play 7 playoff games a mere two years ago and he was so thoroughly invisible, that you don't even remember how just how invisible he was.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

What about trading for Matt Cullen? Maybe Schultz for him? Wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd line of Upshall-Cullen-eakin

Old
05-24-2011, 12:14 AM
HTFN

I wanted Cullen when he was a pending Free Agent, but unless I'm much mistaken, he's got some sort of NTC, so that ship might have sailed. I'd do a Schultz for Cullen swap and not shed a tear, but it puts a little extra money on the docket until 2013, and I don't know if that's going to be good for the long term cap structure.

That said, I don't know if it'd be bad or unmanageable, either.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
Core is 8, 19, 27, 74.

Everyone else is in play.

We need to move forward. The current group has been together for a number of years with virtually no post-season success and no progression.
That reads great. What does it mean? The roster has progressed steadily from one season to the next. I might be wrong, but this past team added Johansson, Alzner, Carslon, Neuvirth, Hendricks and King from the roster that started the season before.
I count that as 6 of 23. They added Hannan at the halfway mark. Thats 7 new names in the base lineup. The lineup has been anything but static.

To say everyone should be in play, doesn't mean that anyone is going to be moved. Are you saying that big changes need to be made to the core? Would you trade Backstrom or Ovechkin? or is this just another way of saying fire boudreau and dump semin green and schultz?

Old
05-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Efactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
That reads great. What does it mean? The roster has progressed steadily from one season to the next. I might be wrong, but this past team added Johansson, Alzner, Carslon, Neuvirth, Hendricks and King from the roster that started the season before.
I count that as 6 of 23. They added Hannan at the halfway mark. Thats 7 new names in the base lineup. The lineup has been anything but static.

To say everyone should be in play, doesn't mean that anyone is going to be moved. Are you saying that big changes need to be made to the core? Would you trade Backstrom or Ovechkin? or is this just another way of saying fire boudreau and dump semin green and schultz?
It means we need to find guys who get it done. I don't think the roster has progressed. I had 2 of the 6 you mentioned as core moving forward. Johansson was improved, but if I can get a true playoff veteran for him, he can be traded. The other two play minor minutes on the fourth line. Hannan was a rental. That isn't progressing the roster.

I agree that none of it means anyone will be moved, but I answer the phone and have a conversation about everyone but 8, 19, 27, and 74. Yes, I think we need big changes outside those four guys. No, Ovey and Backstrom are core. Hopefully, they learn from this season and come in in better shape. I think you have to look at all the guys (except 8, 19, 27, 74) that play more than 14 minutes and try to change them for someone with heart and a track record of playoff success.

I hope that answers your questions.

If this team thinks it'll be better by adding AGordon in place of Bradley, and a few other minor moves, that is a joke.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
If this team thinks it'll be better by adding AGordon in place of Bradley, and a few other minor moves, that is a joke.
Actually with as many young players playing key roles on this team this year as they had the idea that this team would not improve simply by replacing Bradley with Gordon is a joke.

IMO a more demanding approach taken by the coaching staff with a lot more attention to detail and structure in all 3 zones is going to go a lot further than a shakeup of the playing staff.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Its risky to make wholesale personnel changes without trying to change the coach first. Sarge, he can try to throw hits as we all saw this playoffs. He can try anything a coach asks him to do. If the coach has his ear. Green wanted to play defense, and ignored Bruce's calls for half a f'in season to be offensive. That was odd to hear. Who is the coach? Bruce should have forced him to change, or embraced Green's wishes. He did neither. This is one of Bruce's guys. I would have liked had he benched him or embraced a reasonable request by Green to firm up his defensive zone work. Instead he made Carlson his shutdown RD. All year.

The guys seem like they arent listening to him anymore. He yells, they go back to the hotel and play XBox. The new guys we want george to bring in will see how it works around here, and just ignore Bruce as well, who will later call them fearless. Because they ignore him, fearless of the ramifications.

I still think its funny Bruce called Sarge fearless. He played like our most tentative player.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
I agree that none of it means anyone will be moved, but I answer the phone and have a conversation about everyone but 8, 19, 27, and 74. Yes, I think we need big changes outside those four guys. No, Ovey and Backstrom are core. Hopefully, they learn from this season and come in in better shape. I think you have to look at all the guys (except 8, 19, 27, 74) that play more than 14 minutes and try to change them for someone with heart and a track record of playoff success.

I hope that answers your questions.

I agree/disagree. If you trade Johansson for a better veteran, that will create a salary cap ripple that will cost the team in another area with a veteran they already have. This is clearly a bad example of something else you might be trying to say.

Why trade Johansson who has two more cheap years on elc and have shown to be a rising force, when there is an opening already at the center position filled this season by Perreault and Arnott? Right?

Do we know that McPhee is not listening to any offers coming via the phone? You are certainly not suggesting that the roster needs movement at any cost and that McPhee should not only listen to offers on most of the players, but take a deal even if its not a good one for the team.

Whats a minor move? Changing Bradley for anyone would not be a minor move in many ways. Bradley has been a momentum changer. The role he consistantly fills successfully would not be filled by AGordon and would fall harder on Hendricks. Its the small part of the roster, but I think Hendricks poor playoff performance had a real impact. If he was tired, does placing more load on him help to team going forward?

If Laich leaves via free agency, is that subtraction a small move? In my view if Laich left in order to use his budget line to bring in a someone to fill the Arnott's role but with more gas in the tank, would that be a minor move?

Old
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
dashtary*

Johansson's a special player, he's a core player for sure. We're lucky to have Mojo, Backstrom, Kuznestov, & Eakin all in the organization.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The guys seem like they arent listening to him anymore. He yells, they go back to the hotel and play XBox. .
Just curious RH. When you have a bad day at work. A day where the boss rips you a new one. Most people have had those. When you go home from work after those days, do you kick the dog or something to prove your attention to the yelling or do you leave it at the office?

Old
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Just curious RH. When you have a bad day at work. A day where the boss rips you a new one. Most people have had those. When you go home from work after those days, do you kick the dog or something to prove your attention to the yelling or do you leave it at the office?
I am a PS3 guy. I can relax just fine after a crappy day. F work. You will not control my private time. Its all about controlling your own mind.

I learned long ago to not "take" work home with me. Its like a disease in this country. The boss should pay you extra to lug around your portable workplace, the f'in blackberry. Like a dingleberry. A ball and chain.

But when I show up at work the next day, I do what I have to, to keep the boss happy. If I dont, I expect to be benched.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Any straight salary dumps you guys can think of that might be useful and we could get for Schultz without having to add anything of value?

Old
05-24-2011, 10:53 AM
dashtary*

Maybe we can trick a team into giving up a 1st.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Stereotype nothing. Zherdev is soft. He is horrible defensively. He is in legal trouble. And he's such a phenomenal choker that you (presumably) watched him play 7 playoff games a mere two years ago and he was so thoroughly invisible, that you don't even remember how just how invisible he was.
Legal trouble?

05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Any straight salary dumps you guys can think of that might be useful and we could get for Schultz without having to add anything of value?
Again, I look to WSH's 'ideal' trading partner, STL.

Carlo Colaiacovo, D (LHS)
$2.1M x 1Y / 2012 UFA
6'1" / 200 lbs / 83 DOB
~65GP / ~29Pts the last 3 seasons in a row

In other words, a stop gap for Orlov.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 05-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Again, I look to WSH's 'ideal' trading partner, STL.

Carlo Colaiacovo, D
$2.1M x 1Y / 2012 UFA
6'1" / 200 lbs / 83 DOB
~65GP / ~29Pts the last 3 seasons in a row

In other words, a stop gap for Orlov.
I'd be more interested in a signed Roman Polak, but I guess Cola is okay too. However, he has 0 points in 4 career playoff games, so....

Old
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I'd be more interested in a signed Roman Polak, but I guess Cola is okay too. However, he has 0 points in 4 career playoff games, so....
Yeah, that was the year VAN swept STL in the first round. They haven't made the PO's since and now Tarasenko has told them that he's staying in Russia at least another year. Ownership situation still shaky in STL too.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
HTFN

Just not sure if Carlo is really what the team needs. Injury prone and derpy, he doesn't really bring anything. I think I'd rather have Schultz than Colaiacovo.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
I am a PS3 guy. I can relax just fine after a crappy day. F work. You will not control my private time. Its all about controlling your own mind.

I learned long ago to not "take" work home with me. Its like a disease in this country. The boss should pay you extra to lug around your portable workplace, the f'in blackberry. Like a dingleberry. A ball and chain.

But when I show up at work the next day, I do what I have to, to keep the boss happy. If I dont, I expect to be benched.
This is pretty much what I expected. Why would you then suggest that after getting bag skated and/or yelled at by Boudreau that going home to play xbox is a sign of something wrong?

Old
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Legal trouble?
he is soft on the ice, but apparantly not nearly as soft when dealing with his wife/girlfiend. he dropped the gloves with her and she called 911. bad boy.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
This is pretty much what I expected. Why would you then suggest that after getting bag skated and/or yelled at by Boudreau that going home to play xbox is a sign of something wrong?
Because when they come back to work the next day, nothing changes. Its like nothing ever happened. A work example is not apres paux to hockey though, nice try. The head honcho makes the least money.

Sarge step up, Green play wing!! Just f'in outwork em. Damnit, why isnt anyone f'in listening to me!

They aren't listening to you anymore dude. They tried and know his way didnt work, or they weren't listening. They are tired of beating their heads against the wall for a playoff fail for Bruce. I wonder if any players were pissed he didnt make a goalie change. Not doing such a simple thing as a goalie change for game 4 must have planted a seed of doubt in at least one players head. Yep, he lost another one.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old
05-24-2011, 12:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
If the Cap hit was so onerous, I'd take Chris Drury for Gordon's spot, but of course it is. If Drury could be had at a 3rd or 4th line veteran cost, he's be great. thats not possible even on reentry waivers, though.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Because when they come back to work the next day, nothing changes. Its like nothing ever happened.

Sarge step up, Green play wing!! Just f'in outwork em. Damnit, why isnt anyone f'in listening to me!

They aren't listening to you anymore dude. They tried and know his way didnt work, or they weren't listening. They are tired of beating their heads against the wall for a playoff fail for Bruce. I wonder if any players were pissed he didnt make a goalie change.
I am sure the russian players would have like to see Varlamov, but not enough that there is a divided dressing room. I imagine there are a few that are pissed that Backstrom was so bad this playoffs.

Closed Thread