HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Available UFA Goalies

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2005, 01:04 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Available UFA Goalies

The Leafs are preparing for any eventuality by signing JS Aubin. They've got a 40 yr old starter and a rookie back-up. Same as us... only our starter is less reliable.

I think there's a position for a #3-4 goalie in this organization, who'll split time with Glass in the AHL (dump Thompson, forget about Guard). In the event that Hasek goes down, this experienced goalie could end up being #1 or splitting time with Emery. Who would you want? And who would realistically accept this role? Do you think we even need it?

Mike Dunham - (probably not a possibility for such a limited role)
Jamie Storr
Byron Dafoe
Ron Tugnutt
Arturs Irbe
Fred Braithwaite
Steve Shields
Felix Potivn - Russia?
Zac Bierk
Sebastien Caron

Old
08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
jamiebez

I have a feeling we could get at least one of these guys well after the season starts... I'm sure a few will go unsigned after September (a la Steve Thomas from last season). That way, we could bring one in only when Hasek goes down, save the cap hit, and avoid sending him to the minors until Hasek comes back.

Of these (with little thought put into it), I'd go with Dafoe. He's only three seasons removed from being a semi-decent starter with Boston. Tugnutt and Brathwaite are interesting "hometown" choices, but I think Dafoe has more left in the tank.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Lionheart

I'd love to see Tugger finish his career here.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Egil

The Leafs don't have confidence in Telqvist is what I take from the Aubin signing.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
save the cap hit
There shouldn't be any cap hit on a 2-way deal at league minimum, unless they're playing in the NHL.

Old
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
sensens

It's also not clear who might be available mid-season as a replacement... maybe Kolzig is made available by Washington for a reasonable price, or else someone like Nurminen, Joseph, or even Nabokov or Denis. I think you go with Hasek & Emery until it fails, and probably add some insurance at the trade deadline when it's more affordable.

Old
08-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Calorissi

I agree that we should stick to the goalies we have in the system and see what transpires.

I may be the only one who thinks that Hasek will not be injured for a significant amount of time this year. We will be fine with our starter.

Emery will be an adequate backup and practicing with the Ottawa Sens should help his development.

In Bingo we have the following choices:
Thompson - performed well last year and was our best goalie for part of the season.
He deserves another chance.
Guard - deserves a shot in Bingo to see where his development is.
Glass - great year in Junior. Depending on how Guard looks, it may be best to send him back to junior as an over ager to continue developing. No sense rushing him and costing us a year of his rights.

Closed Thread