HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Dave Cameron already has an NHL job?

Old
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
You're talking like a rational person, that's your downfall. Check the media reports surrounding Cameron and the lack of any word on an ongoing search for any candidates not named Cameron and you might see why rationality may not win the day here.
media is media. cameron is the easier and more controversial target for them. Murray and his team have been making good decisions lately and i refuse to believe that they are going to kick themselves in the balls after all the work they've put into fixing the mess by screwing up the biggest decision of all

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
For what it's worth, alot of people are throwing their support behind Kirk Muller who, as far as I know, has zero head coaching experience at the NHL level and I don't even know if he's been a head coach anywhere at all really.
Queen's University

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
I don't think Melnyk is qualified talking about Zack Smith, Rick Nash or Mike Babcock. I do think he is most certainly qualified to talk about Dave Cameron and Bryan Murray considering they were both direct hires/re-signs and report directly to him. I also think that if Murray thought Melnyk was talking out his ass he would tell him to butt out, after all, he just got a new 3 year deal. If Cameron is hired, Murray agreed with Melnyk.
While Melnyk is in the position to hire the GM he likes, largely because he owns the team, it doesn't mean he is qualified to hire hockey personnel.

Melnyk likes Cameron because he sees him as loyal employee and as such would like to reward him. However, the hiring of the next coach is a business decision he should leave to the guy he hired to make those decision, Brian Murray.

While the media is specualting their ***** off, suggesting Cameron is definitely the guy, isn't this the same bunch that were suggesting a new GM named McGuire was Ottawa bound?

Melnyk has said he will let Murray make this decision, adding he will do his best to promote Cameron in the process. This hire will be proof positive of whether Melnyk does or doesn't let the people he hires do their jobs without interference.

IMO hiring NHL coaches directly from the OHL is not a recipe for success. Handling teenage kids striving for NHL careers, isn't in the same world as dealing with with NHL players.

Looking at the career path of the current NHL coaches, only three of them weren't head coaches in the IHL/AHL, and only one went directly from junior, Sutter. The three that skipped the AHL, Sutter, Quinneville and Ruff, all had extensive NHL careers.

While Cameron did have a stop in Binghamton, it wasn't a memorable one, and he hasn't been able to win championships with superior teams. I cannot forget his absolute brain cramp in the WJC this past year. I also believe Peter DeBoer is a better coach, and look at how that ended.

Old
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I am sure every GM takes his fair share of advice from those he trusts within the organization when it comes to hiring a head coach. I guess I just don't see the difference between Melnyk saying "Hey, I know this guy" and Anders Forsberg mentioning how this Rundblad kid is supposed to be really good. I don't think Melnyk is forcing anything, merely suggesting a candidate based off an opinion formed over 8 years employing the guy. Cameron wouldn't necessarily be my choice but I feel much more comfortable with them hiring someone they are familiar with than someone they thought sounded good based on a 45 minute interview and a Google search. This isn't fantasy hockey where interpersonal relationships don't matter and you can crunch a formula to tell you which guy you should pick.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I am sure every GM takes his fair share of advice from those he trusts within the organization when it comes to hiring a head coach. I guess I just don't see the difference between Melnyk saying "Hey, I know this guy" and Anders Forsberg mentioning how this Rundblad kid is supposed to be really good. I don't think Melnyk is forcing anything, merely suggesting a candidate based off an opinion formed over 8 years employing the guy. Cameron wouldn't necessarily be my choice but I feel much more comfortable with them hiring someone they are familiar with than someone they thought sounded good based on a 45 minute interview and a Google search. This isn't fantasy hockey where interpersonal relationships don't matter and you can crunch a formula to tell you which guy you should pick.
The difference is Murray is getting advice from a person he hired to scout for him and provide input. Melnyk on the other hand hires a GM to advise him on hockey matters, then attempts to influence the guy's decisions. Backasswards IMHO.

Melnyk and Cameron have a relationship, not Murray. If Murray wanted Cameron, why was he replaced by Clouston in Binghamton, or not offered a job as an assistant with Paddock in Ottawa???

My guess, Murray didn't like the job he was doing, pure and simple.

Old
05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Flamingo

I only really watched Cameron at the WJC, and I wasn't impressed with his coaching. He drove those players into the ground playing a hard forecheck, and didn't seem to adapt well, whether it be to hold a lead, respond to a lead change, etc.

I don't have confidence in his ability to manage talent and to let the players play.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Difference is very blatant and the poster above described it well.

My biggest problem is Melnyk actually said "I don't have as much say in hockey operations as people seem to think...and then we *might* find out that was complete bull ****.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 07:20 PM
DefenseMinister

Seeing as the timeline Murray appears to have is to appoint someone prior to the draft, I would imagine that we should soon start hearing about a larger list of candidates who have interviewed or who are scheduled to interview (that information is typically uncovered fairly easily by the media).

As long as Cameron is included in a list of 3 or 4 other very strong candidates, I don't have a problem with it as there should be no reason (outside of witchcraft) that he would come out ahead of more legitimate candidates. If there is little in the way of reporting done around the interview process and Cameron's name is the only one we continue to hear about and then he suddenly gets the job, we know that the fix is in.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 07:27 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Anyone know if Gerald Gallant's name has been mentioned to maybe be interviewed?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Anyone know if Gerald Gallant's name has been mentioned to maybe be interviewed?
If we go all Sea Dog with our first 3 picks in the draft, I would be all for having Gallant as our next coach.

Shanny is online now   Reply With Quote