HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=894913

05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
txpd

Divided locker rooms get outed in the media. No signs of that at all.

Varly played three games in the last 6 weeks of the regular season and Neuvirth was rock solid in round one. When would you have stuck him v TB? By game three it had 3 games in two months for him. There was no time for a rusty bad game.

Realistically for Varly to have been the playoff starter, he would have had to have been the starter at the end of March when he returned from injury...as if to say that Neuvirth was not the starter and they knew it before the playoffs started.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
dashtary*

Roman Polak would be such a good pick-up.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
dashtary*

Thoughts on Nicklas Hjalmarsson if he was cheap? Albeit he carries a 3.5 Million cap hit, but if we can move out Schultz and bring him in. He'd be a good partner for Green too, has won the cup and plays a really solid defensive game.

Hjalmarsson-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov*-Wideman *(Orlov's my choice)

Way too young?

Old
05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
BPMrules

Something tells me Sloan and Schultz will still be on the roster next year, god knows why. Hannan will be the odd man out, due to salary. I sadly see the capitals standing pat this summer, yet again. If there are any moves made, it will be people leaving, and youth coming in.
Say goodbye to Hannan, Sturm, Arnott, Gordon, and sadly Laich, most likely.
Green gets his last chance to show he can be a leader on D, which he isn't, and we complain all year about our search for a 2nd and 3rd line center, cause MJO will have a sophomore slump, and Brooks will be doing the same old, same old in Toronto or Edmonton.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:43 PM
The Instigator

vCash: 900
Laich better be resigned. All I have to say.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Thoughts on Nicklas Hjalmarsson if he was cheap? Albeit he carries a 3.5 Million cap hit, but if we can move out Schultz and bring him in. He'd be a good partner for Green too, has won the cup and plays a really solid defensive game.

Hjalmarsson-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Way too young?
Dash .... the king of hypothetical situations.

Old
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:

Hjalmarsson-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Way too young?

Really really young... haha are you imagining Erskine away? If we could get a deal around Schultz for Hammer though I guess I'm on board. Why would Chicago move him though, I don't think they're in cap trouble anymore...

Old
05-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Thoughts on Nicklas Hjalmarsson if he was cheap?
Thoughts on Denis Potvin, Ray Bourque, Langway, or maybe even the Big Bird if someone discovers the fountain of youth?

I figure these 2 hypotheticals have about an equal chance of actually happening...

Old
05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
Really really young... haha are you imagining Erskine away? If we could get a deal around Schultz for Hammer though I guess I'm on board. Why would Chicago move him though, I don't think they're in cap trouble anymore...
They're trying to unload some cap, or that's what the buzz is atleast.

Old
05-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I've been a proponent of Schultz for Hjalmarsson for a while now. I don't actually anticipate Chicago dealing Hammer after they turned down compensation (1st + 3rd) for him last summer, but a number of Hawks fans have brought up the possibility on the trade boards. I'd say the possibility of them trading Hammer are about as likely as us trading Schultz (slim on both counts).

That being said, if either player is traded, the other player makes a lot of sense for the GMs to bring in to their club. Hammer is young enough and good enough that GMGM could swallow sending away his affordable, young defensive blueliner that he's so smitten with. And Chicago gets a capable defender who can PK, while saving $750K in cap space to be applied elsewhere. I'd be willing to toss in Perreault, too, if Chicago wanted him.

Hammer - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Erskine - Wideman
Sloan

Old
05-24-2011, 03:34 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Read and learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A team like Vancouver centers around their skilled depth on the blueline sparking the transition game for all four lines (though we'll see what UFA ends up doing to it). Combine that with their speedy, tenacious forwards and that's a template worth emulating.

Old
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Jasper17

Quote:

Hjalmarsson-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Way too young?
I don't think Orlov makes the team for a couple reasons. 1. It wouldn't hurt him at all to play a full year in Hershey. 2. The Caps have to many defensman signed already. Even if the Caps move Schultz, they would do that with the intention of bringing in another top 4 defensman. Orlov cant be expected to be a top 4 guy his rookie year. I think Orlov will take Wideman's spot after next season.

As for Hannon, I would love to have him back but its unlikley. Again the Caps have to many D already signed and are limited in cap space.

As for trading Schultz, I can't imagine the Caps moving Schultz for another defensman unless they package a forward or a pick. Generally speaking its pretty rare defensman get traded for defenseman straight up. There are reason's why teams would trade a defensman for another defensman. One that has been mentioned is salary, but the Caps are in no position to take on salary. If the Caps move Schultz I think they would do it to bring in some depth at forward, someone who can add something to the 3rd line. Or package maybe Fehr or the 1st and go out and try to get a better top 4 guy.

Maybe we can move Schultz to Vancouver this offseason. They have limited cap space and 3 top D as UFA's so they may have a need to find a cheaper top 4 guy. I would take Maxime Lapierre for him. I know people may not like him, but I think he is exactly the type of player the Caps need. He has the speed and tenacity I think this team really needs on that 3rd line and would instantly make the Caps much tougher to play against.

Truth be told, I would be surprised if they move Schutlz. I hope the do, but I don't expect it.

Last edited by Jasper17: 05-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old
05-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
cause MJO will have a sophomore slump.
I disagree with this. I think MoJo is going to start next season where he left of this past season. I think he is going to be a good 2nd line center for the Caps next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he does it between Laich and Semin.

If the Caps lose Laich, I don't think it will be a huge loss. I think you can replace Laich in free agency or with a trade pretty easily. I know most if not all Caps fans have become fans of Laich over the years, but I dont think a 20 goal scoring top 4 forward is as hard to replace in todays NHL as it once was.

That being said I would prefer to keep him. But he isn't worth mid 3's which he may get on the open market.

Old
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Divided locker rooms get outed in the media. No signs of that at all.

Varly played three games in the last 6 weeks of the regular season and Neuvirth was rock solid in round one. When would you have stuck him v TB? By game three it had 3 games in two months for him. There was no time for a rusty bad game.

Realistically for Varly to have been the playoff starter, he would have had to have been the starter at the end of March when he returned from injury...as if to say that Neuvirth was not the starter and they knew it before the playoffs started.
Realistically history should tell you Varly doesnt need to play every day to perform well in the playoffs. He doesnt even need to play but once every few weeks. Just like in the Theo got yanked years. Lets theorize some guys practice hard and are ready to go. That they do well in an underdog role.

The locker room is not divided in half. It appears unified. But maybe unified in doubting ole Bruce. I am fearing the locker room is losing or has lost faith in Bruce. I am not so sure George has a pulse of the room. No one wants to talk bad about a good guy to play for like Bruce. I just sense that when guys like Ovi and Nick are disinterested (before this years fail), Green wants to do his own thing. Play along and say Semin can't speak English. Thats 4 young guns that I see tuning him out. That is not good. All the acquisitions in the world won't change that.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old
05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Realistically history should tell you Varly doesnt need to play every day to perform well in the playoffs. He doesnt even need to play but once every few weeks. Just like in the Theo got yanked years. Lets theorize some guys practice hard and are ready to go. That they do well in an underdog role.

The locker room is not divided in half. I am fearing the locker room is losing or has lost faith in Bruce. I am not so sure George has a pulse of the room. No one wants to talk bad about a good guy to play for like Bruce. I just sense when guys like Ovi and Nick are disinterested, Green wants to do his own thing. Play along and say Semin can't speak English. Thats 4 young guns that I see tuning him out. That is not good. All the acquisitions in the world won't change that.
I don't think you can say Ovi looked disinterested at all. I think he did well in the playoffs, he just didn't get any help (looking at you Backstrom).

I don't think the coach has anything to do with Green or Semin. I think those guys are just full of themselves. Semin has always been, and Green seems to have read way to many of his own press clippings since getting his first Norris nomination because he hasn't been the same player since. And please do not tell me he is just rounding out his defensive game, he has been lackluster for the past 2 years. He looks like a player who doesn't think he needs to work hard to be successful.

I do agree that Backstrom looked disinterested all year. I worry about that because it just happened to be his first year after signing a big contract. Hopefully he gets his head out of his a$$ this offseason and comes in ready to play next year. But it wouldn't be the first time in NHL history a player signs a huge deal and then doesn't work as hard as he did to get him to that high level. Hopefully it was just an off year and that is not the case. But that is why teams are so reluctant to sign players to long term deals.

But I am not sure you can blame any of that on Bruce. That is more to do with having the wrong type of character in the dressing room. And that falls on GMGM's shoulders.

Old
05-24-2011, 06:19 PM
txpd

honestly, if there was a problem in the room and/or if the team was tuning out bruce or if bruce didnt have a clue, knuble would tell mcphee in his exit interview what the score was. arnott might do the same, but certainly knuble would.

are you now going to suggest that george would dismiss out of hand what knuble was saying?

here's the thing. often times the problems are obvious. the penguins quit on therrien and anyone watching could see it. the caps quit on hanlon. the flyers locker room was in collapse under stevens last season and everybody knew it.

nothing happening in washington now is remotely close to that. you can keep throwing darts at the board. its fun to talk about, but its all speculation til its not. you want to say that playing varly would have made a difference. it cant be quantified, because he didnt play. backstrom did play and did squat. might he have made a difference? sure. he played and he didnt score in a series where one goal in one game could have had a major impact.

now...we dont know WHY backstrom didnt score a goal, but we know he had first line ice time and score zero goals in 9 games. that is quantifiable.

Old
05-24-2011, 06:21 PM
txpd

Quote:

Hjalmarsson-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Way too young?
way, way too young. orlov shouldnt be any more than an injury fill in.

Old
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
md3k*

Washington Capitals: Puck Possession Team

The last few years Washington has played a "run and gun" type system and this year they switched to a more defensive style. Just wondering what caps fans think about playing a Vancouver/Detroit style puck possession system. Wouldn't the caps be best suited for this style of play? With a few off season acquisitions I don't see how the caps can't be the favorites in the East for a long time.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
txpd

this is just me talking, but i think its a process. the caps were a run and gun team when they had a defense corp of very young or second tier players and a place holder goaltender. they played a style that fit their roster.

when the system brought them two first pair defensemen, a teenage two way center and three 23 or younger goalies all at the same time, the caps plans to balance the team began. but the high quality defensive additions were prone to rookie problems and the high end offensive forwards were trying to transition with some difficulty. it was easier to just concentrate on defense.

its a process. i imagine you will see the caps open their offense up a bit more next season with alzner and carlson having more experience and mike green being healthy and dennis wideman in the lineup. the puck moving from defense to offense will be significantly better.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Jasper17

I think every team would love to be a puck possession team however our star does not fit that style. Ovechkin has no interest in puck possession, he want to get the puck and attack. I am not sure you can play like that with him.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Knuble's exit interview... wont be for some time. If we are waiting for him to retire before a player is willing to tell George, um, dude, try a new coach, dont hold your breath. If George cant see that a coaching change needs to be made, Knuble having to tell him tells me we need a new GM as well. He should parade to Patrick and tell him the full story.

Ovechkin looked out of sorts to me for much of the year. Most said it was his wrist. George said he was burned out from the previous year... forgot the exact words. I said he was trying to slow down his game, look to pass instead of trying to predictably shoot 2000 times a year. His goal scoring was way down, just why was that if he wasnt disinterested? He doesnt need Nick to pot 50.

Our 4 young guns appeared to have already peaked under Bruce. I am very skeptical that he can get any more out of them than he already has. They all regressed. it wasnt 20 games of defense.

Its time for an oil change.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-24-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old
05-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
A good partner for Green would be someone who is 100% responsible in their own end who rarely if ever makes mistakes and can cover for his partner's mistakes. The ideal partner would have to excel at breaking up 2 on 1 rushes and clearing the crease because his partner (Green) is either too physically weak to do so.

So basically you need to get Chara

Old
05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Ovechkin looked out of sorts to me for much of the year. Most said it was his wrist. George said he was burned out from the previous year... forgot the exact words. I said he was trying to slow down his game, look to pass instead of trying to predictably shoot 2000 times a year. His goal scoring was way down, just why was that if he wasnt disinterested? He doesnt need Nick to pot 50.

Our 4 young guns appeared to have already peaked under Bruce. I am very skeptical that he can get any more out of them than he already has. They all regressed. it wasnt 20 games of defense.

Its time for an oil change.
Game two Habs/Caps on the NHL network. Ovechkin looks like a completely different player compared to this year which was no jump and no aggressiveness.

Regarding BB I'm leaning your way Randy. Still not a fan of the system change as sure it righted the ship but were the players heart really in it? I'm sure it helped the the young players on D. Regardless this next year is going to be BBs gang plank season. Put up or get gone. Still leaning that it would be good to change the coach this off season though not really many appealing coaching candidates.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Knuble's exit interview... wont be for some time. If we are waiting for him to retire before a player is willing to tell George, um, dude, try a new coach, dont hold your breath. If George cant see that a coaching change needs to be made, Knuble having to tell him tells me we need a new GM as well. He should parade to Patrick and tell him the full story. .
exit interview: these are sop end of the season interviews with management.
you said mcphee doesnt have a good feel for the room. i said knuble wouldnt fail to tell him there was a problem.

now...you say if a player tells him there is a problem thats bad too.

why dont we just do it your way then.

Closed Thread