HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 12:36 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
New coach. Had my ups and downs with the Koala, but Koalas are slow to adapt.

If he changes his game, and gets the tools to implement a faster speed, cycling and passing game, then fine... he's cool. But things cannot stay the course. The Sharks will get run over late out of entropy.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:40 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
They need to find a high end two-way guy for the blueline. That isn't White. They need someone who can play on the top defensive unit, not Boyle.

They need better puck movement generally from the backend with a minimum of 4 guys who can move it. Demers and Boyle are a start, Vlasic and Murray are not in the conversation. Braun? White? Acquisition? The TWD will count as a puckmover.

They need more speed up front if they are going to continue with chip and chase. It will need someone at least Seto size, not just a small burner.

GFA
2010-11 - 3.02
2009-10 - 3.21
2008-09 - 3.13
2007-08 - 2.70
2006-07 - 3.14

Old
05-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Yeah Heatley's not going anywhere. I say use the Wallin, Huskins, and Nichol $ to either a) resign White and add another 3rd line winger or b) sign a TWD and let White go

Old
05-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Dany Heatley won't get traded. We might as well start from that point and move forwards people - why would (A) SJ 'force out' guys on a NMC after they reach the conference finals? (and (B) Heatley waive?... he's got it good). It would be a PR disaster - not happening at all, so best to accept it and move on rather than moan...

Biggest trade bait for me has to be Clowe. It depends whether Mashinter can come up and play on the 4th line. Him or Setoguchi look like pieces that could be used for a deal to get a better blueline presence... You have to give something of value and Clowe is coming off a decent year buut he looks the most replaceable skill set right now...
Well if the cap goes up to 63.5 mil with the escalator, the Sharks don't have to move any of the top nine forwards. They just have to move Niittymaki for a cheaper starting goalie. Re-sign Seto to 2.5 mil. Re-sign White to 3.5 mil. Re-sign Mayers to 750k. Re-sign Wellwood to 750k. McGinn, Desjardins, and a goalie roughly around 700k. Bring up Braun for the lineup and Moore to be our #7. They'll spend about 60 mil so they'd still have room to make an impact somewhere.

Really, the off-season starts by finding a new home for Antero Niittymaki and figuring out whether Stalock is going to be ready to backup next year or finding a suitable replacement. Moving Heatley is a pipe dream.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Sign Owen Nolan.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
New coach. Had my ups and downs with the Koala, but Koalas are slow to adapt.

If he changes his game, and gets the tools to implement a faster speed, cycling and passing game, then fine... he's cool. But things cannot stay the course. The Sharks will get run over late out of entropy.
If you didn't see, he changed the entry in this last game. He went to a relay race system up one side which I saw Ruff use some years ago.

I do think he has to let up on the emphasis on chip and chase. He needs to give license to some guys who can carry the zone like Couture and Pavs. They need to be smart so as not to turnover, but it can't be all chips.

The Nucks commended the Sharks on their PP entries as being the most creative and varied.

I do think the defensive thinking has to be revamped when you hear the Wings say that they have to look out for the right side. They are as much as telling you that McLellan isn't going to pinch d from the left (he also doesn't really have the personnel to do so). I don't think they will do well if they go with what is becoming old school thinking of one PMD and one defensive d per pair.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Dany Heatley won't get traded. We might as well start from that point and move forwards people - why would (A) SJ 'force out' guys on a NMC after they reach the conference finals? (and (B) Heatley waive?... he's got it good). It would be a PR disaster - not happening at all, so best to accept it and move on rather than moan...

Biggest trade bait for me has to be Clowe. It depends whether Mashinter can come up and play on the 4th line. Him or Setoguchi look like pieces that could be used for a deal to get a better blueline presence... You have to give something of value and Clowe is coming off a decent year buut he looks the most replaceable skill set right now...
Clower's presence is too big for us to trade, and we desperately need Seto's speed at forward. I think the best route for us to go is UFA

As for UFA's, the only 2 that spark any sort of interest is Pitkanen and Hejda. Not sure how realistic Pitkanen is since he's a bonafide star, I think something in the area of 5.5 per year could get it done. Pitkanen and Boyle would be 1a and 1b on our blueline

Old
05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Mayers is not as imposing as Eager but he is certainly as tough as him. As much as most people like to bag on Mayers, he plays the role exactly how you want a guy to do so. Ideally, your 4th line has a fighter, a veteran, and a young spark plug. If two of them can effectively kill penalties, that's even better. Mayers is one of those killers. I'm hoping either Desjardins or McGinn can be molded into a killer. I really like McGinn's energy and if he can be made to focus more, he'd make an effective killer with his speed.
I hope McGinn's offseason focuses on the mental side - how to improve his hockey IQ. Skills are there and if there's no longer pressure to try and get into the top 6 then he should focus on being a solid bottom 6er, that maybe then finds his way into the top 6. He has a good shot (wrister), just lacks hockey sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They need to find a high end two-way guy for the blueline. That isn't White. They need someone who can play on the top defensive unit, not Boyle.

They need better puck movement generally from the backend with a minimum of 4 guys who can move it. Demers and Boyle are a start, Vlasic and Murray are not in the conversation. Braun? White? Acquisition? The TWD will count as a puckmover.
Candidates?

Burns? (trade seto or clowe + )
Coburn (doubt we have anything that the Flyers would want
Gilbert (enh, doesn't excite me)
JBo (overpaid but fits the bill)
Brewer (possible - if Bolts don't re-sign him)

Quote:
They need more speed up front if they are going to continue with chip and chase. It will need someone at least Seto size, not just a small burner.
UFA Candidates? Wonder if Larose or Jokinen would fit. I don't know much about either. Higgins would be a good 3rd liner, occasional 2nd liner.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:47 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Ehrhoff will take a San jose hometown discount, I just know it. We believed in him before Vancouver did.

Ehrhoff @ 3.5m

Old
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
gonegonegone*

bieska at 4.5 + ntc might do it for him. bieska is an odd player though, when he sucks hes BAD. the ufa crop isn't very strong though. detroit is giong to also be after alot of players now that raffie, and prolly liddy, are gone.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
If you didn't see, he changed the entry in this last game. He went to a relay race system up one side which I saw Ruff use some years ago.

I do think he has to let up on the emphasis on chip and chase. He needs to give license to some guys who can carry the zone like Couture and Pavs. They need to be smart so as not to turnover, but it can't be all chips.

The Nucks commended the Sharks on their PP entries as being the most creative and varied.

I do think the defensive thinking has to be revamped when you hear the Wings say that they have to look out for the right side. They are as much as telling you that McLellan isn't going to pinch d from the left (he also doesn't really have the personnel to do so). I don't think they will do well if they go with what is becoming old school thinking of one PMD and one defensive d per pair.
Yeah, DW likes to copy and the Canucks (like the Flyers last year) should the model of PMDs up and down the lineup.

We have Boyle, Demers and maybe White (if not re-signed for more than $2.75-3 for 2 yrs). Braun could work out, too. Need some lefty PMDs.

On the guys who can carry the zone, add Wellwood. We need to vary it b/c teams just cheat on our chip and chase game. If we vary it, that stimies their anticipation.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
get more well-rounded players. any additions have to be good skaters. size, speed, grit, hockey sense, skill are musts.

Out:
Wallin, Huskins, White (1-2 yr, 2.5MM or GTFO), Nichol, Mayers, Mitchell, Heatley, Ferriero (too soft)
forget it, White has to go. sucks at D, and is small.

In:
Braun (part time 6th/7th dman), Wellwood, two top-4 defenseman: either Ballard, Daley, Ehrhoff, Bieska, Brewer, Wisnewski, Robidas, Bouwmeester

4th line center (checking centre that can skate), 4th line RW (someone with a chip on their shoulder). 3rd line winger that can play 2-ways!*

look at Bergenheim types, skilled guys that can play on the 3rd line and flourish. a cast off with something to prove.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:55 AM
rideaucrusher21

SPEED SPEED SPEED!!!

Sharks need more of this, up front especially. I think with another year of seasoning, our D core can be Stanley Cup worthy.

Up front, Thornton, Marleau, Heatley I just don't see being moved with NMC's. I would like to move Heater, but I dont think its gonna happen. Seto, Mcginn, mitchell are all damn good, aggressive forecheckers with speed and I think they need at least one, maybe even two more guys like this (Get Darren Helm then clone him?). Nichol is gone I think. I could be wrong, but the fact that he was scratched the last few games does not bode well for his future with the team. I liked him a lot.

Couture stays. rookie of the year, franchise center upside, bright future, etc.

Clowe, Pavs.. I'm not sure about these guys. Both would provide monster returns (we would be selling high on their stock) and I think their skillsets are replicated on other parts of the roster. It would be so so so hard to part with one of these guys though. By all accounts, they mean so much to the team chemistry and are homegrown talent. But the Sharks need more SPEED up front and these guys don't provide that.

Let's get em next year.

Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

GFA
2010-11 - 3.02
2009-10 - 3.21
2008-09 - 3.13
2007-08 - 2.70
2006-07 - 3.14
There are no high end two-way guys available. There are also no top defensive unit guys available either. The easiest solution is to re-sign White, who is a two-way guy. He has been improving defensively with each passing game. He just needs more familiarity. Braun could also help in this regard. Boyle, Murray, Demers, Vlasic, White, and Braun would not be a bad set of blue liners to start the year and see what they have.

They are not going to improve speed up front unless they let Wellwood walk. Realistically, I don't see that happening. He performed admirably considering the circumstances and, again, him with the team for a full year should see improved results.

Old
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
bieska at 4.5 + ntc might do it for him. bieska is an odd player though, when he sucks hes BAD. the ufa crop isn't very strong though. detroit is giong to also be after alot of players now that raffie, and prolly liddy, are gone.
As long as they take one of or both Ehrhoff and Bieksa. That would help us out as it'd basically keep the Wings at the same level while hurting the Canucks. Gives me more hope for the Sharks next year.

The Kinds will definitely be tougher. Ducks probably a bit so but losing Selanne will hurt. Coyotes? Tough to say but doubt they improve vastly. Stars will be worse without Richards.

Wild, Flames and Oilers don't worry me. Avs should be a tad better.

Blues should be bad - had a tough year with injuries. BJs maybe but don't see them making a big enough jump. Preds are always tough. Wings are the big question with their D. Hawks should be a bit better but they'll still be stuck in cap hell - basically same core but crappy bottom players.

So, all in all, Sharks should be in good shape for next year if DW shores up the D and gets more speed in the top 9.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
As long as they take one of or both Ehrhoff and Bieksa. That would help us out as it'd basically keep the Wings at the same level while hurting the Canucks. Gives me more hope for the Sharks next year.

The Kinds will definitely be tougher. Ducks probably a bit so but losing Selanne will hurt. Coyotes? Tough to say but doubt they improve vastly. Stars will be worse without Richards.

Wild, Flames and Oilers don't worry me. Avs should be a tad better.

Blues should be bad - had a tough year with injuries. BJs maybe but don't see them making a big enough jump. Preds are always tough. Wings are the big question with their D. Hawks should be a bit better but they'll still be stuck in cap hell - basically same core but crappy bottom players.

So, all in all, Sharks should be in good shape for next year if DW shores up the D and gets more speed in the top 9.
I disagree with your Hawks take. They're gaining a significant amount of cap room. They're gaining four mil just off of bonuses and potentially four more million from the cap rise. They've already made their decision in net and 8 mil can get them very deep up front or on the back end. The Hawks will be significantly better next season.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:00 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
we need Lefty puck movers.

Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

heads up that my usual info-laden off-season thread will be up in the next little bit. I have some photoshop work to do on it but my laptop is dying a slow painful death. So I'm hoping my new laptop will be delivered tomorrow. It was supposed to be here a couple weeks ago, but they gave me the wrong one.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Roofies, fancy dining establishment, papers signed.

Boom Dany Heatley, 1rst 2011, 2nd 2011, 2nd 2012 traded for Enstrom and Big Buff

Old
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I disagree with your Hawks take. They're gaining a significant amount of cap room. They're gaining four mil just off of bonuses and potentially four more million from the cap rise. They've already made their decision in net and 8 mil can get them very deep up front or on the back end. The Hawks will be significantly better next season.
Ok, should be but not guaranteed to be that much better. They have as much of a chance to improve as we do. Doubt they retool like the team that won the Cup. That was simply due to KKT being on ELCs...

Old
05-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
heads up that my usual info-laden off-season thread will be up in the next little bit. I have some photoshop work to do on it but my laptop is dying a slow painful death. So I'm hoping my new laptop will be delivered tomorrow. It was supposed to be here a couple weeks ago, but they gave me the wrong one.
feel free to kill this one or take over the OP. I just had to get my mind off this season with the way that game ended on such a flukey goal

Old
05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
we need Lefty puck movers.
UFA's like that would be Ehrhoff, Kaberle, Pitkanen, and on the depth level Ruslan Salei.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
fasterthanlight

Wouldn't it be great if heatley demanded a trade? He's not a bad player, just not a fit here.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post
Wouldn't it be great if heatley demanded a trade? He's not a bad player, just not a fit here.
I'd be so happy.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:03 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
no, hawks won't have a ton of cap space. with sea's new raise plus joey's raise, they'll just about keep their current team with minimal cap space to spare. they have way too much invested in their top 4 defense as it is. they won't be significantly better, at best they'll shore up a spot or two (their 4th line and bottom pair is BAD) but basically what you saw at the end of the season is wat they'll have for next year.

Closed Thread