HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season's roster (all trade, ufa signing, and re-signing discussion)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2011, 01:07 AM
  #51
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
feel free to kill this one or take over the OP. I just had to get my mind off this season with the way that game ended on such a flukey goal
Nah. This thread serves a useful purpose. The "what I would do" hypotheticals can eat through a thread really quickly, so I've always liked having them separate from a thread that is more directly about the reality of the situation/necessary information.

For reference, I'm going to be providing:

-a depth chart showing pending FAs and eventually new additions.
-a cap chart that shows how much the team has to spend and where the holes are
-a complete FA breakdown of who is potentially on the market for the team
-a full prospect list
-a reserve list that shows how many of the org's 50 contract slots are taken and when they all expire
-whatever else I feel like cramming in.

the thread from last year is a good reference point of what you might see. the header graphics are gone but the info is still there.

2010 SJ Sharks Off-Season Info Spectacular (salary cap/free agency/prospects/etc)

and before anyone asks, yes I am getting this done before I finish work on all the ATFS prep. We need clear heads to do that, which means a couple of weeks separating this past season from the tournament.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:08 AM
  #52
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Yeah, DW likes to copy and the Canucks (like the Flyers last year) should the model of PMDs up and down the lineup.

We have Boyle, Demers and maybe White (if not re-signed for more than $2.75-3 for 2 yrs). Braun could work out, too. Need some lefty PMDs.

On the guys who can carry the zone, add Wellwood. We need to vary it b/c teams just cheat on our chip and chase game. If we vary it, that stimies their anticipation.
I am not anxious on White because they have Braun. A PMD doesn't have to skate it, he just has to get it up quick. Both Blake and Pronger were/are PMDs who didn't/don't skate well. Braun can skate but I haven't seen him do it much with the puck. I did see him getting it up quick. Brewer and JayBo come to mind as lefties in that mold of TWDs.

You saw the GFAs by year. This year's would not have been so good without the White acquisition. With Murray and Vlasic, they can't fill the last two slots with Wallin/Huskins types.

The other thing is that no matter how they do it, they are going to have to find better ways to score on entry. If they aren't going to play trap and transition, they need to go for homeruns (a la Philly) or more defensive involvement/mobility or lose some chip and chase.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:10 AM
  #53
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Anybody know the book on Ville Leino - does he have speed? Could be a good top9 fwd to add.

Gilligans Island is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:11 AM
  #54
D Huang
Registered User
 
D Huang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: China
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
UFA's like that would be Ehrhoff, Kaberle, Pitkanen, and on the depth level Ruslan Salei.
They are not signing Ehrhoff and Kaberle is not the solution.

To be honest if we decide to go UFA route, we need to put the full court press on Pitkanen. There's no one else worth signing

D Huang is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:13 AM
  #55
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 302
i would trade pavs and nitty for a top 4 defencemen, and a middle of the line top 6 bottom 6 forward (a player that can play the top 6 role and not look out of place, but someone who thrives off of being a dominate bottom 6 player).

Barrie22 is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:18 AM
  #56
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,716
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I am not anxious on White because they have Braun. A PMD doesn't have to skate it, he just has to get it up quick. Both Blake and Pronger were/are PMDs who didn't/don't skate well. Braun can skate but I haven't seen him do it much with the puck. I did see him getting it up quick. Brewer and JayBo come to mind as lefties in that mold of TWDs.

You saw the GFAs by year. This year's would not have been so good without the White acquisition. With Murray and Vlasic, they can't fill the last two slots with Wallin/Huskins types.
i completely agree. i'm against keeping White.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
  #57
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I am not anxious on White because they have Braun. A PMD doesn't have to skate it, he just has to get it up quick. Both Blake and Pronger were/are PMDs who didn't/don't skate well. Braun can skate but I haven't seen him do it much with the puck. I did see him getting it up quick. Brewer and JayBo come to mind as lefties in that mold of TWDs.

You saw the GFAs by year. This year's would not have been so good without the White acquisition. With Murray and Vlasic, they can't fill the last two slots with Wallin/Huskins types.

The other thing is that no matter how they do it, they are going to have to find better ways to score on entry. If they aren't going to play trap and transition, they need to go for homeruns (a la Philly) or more defensive involvement/mobility or lose some chip and chase.
I don't know that I'm sold on White either and I think they need to give Braun every opportunity to play in the NHL next year.

But I really have absolutely NO interest in JayBo, not with that contract. I'd be very interested in Brewer.

I think your last paragraph is something that can be done pretty easily with just a few tweaks to the roster. Obviously, a more mobile D will help a lot! I think they just need some minor changes up front...seeing what Viedensky, Mashinter, Wingles can bring and replacing Nichol and Mayers with youth.

Getting rid of Niitty would also be a plus but I don't see that happening.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
  #58
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
look at Bergenheim types, skilled guys that can play on the 3rd line and flourish. a cast off with something to prove.
Agree here - we got Malhotra the year before and Wellwood luckily. Seems you can always find that 9th fwd who's a vet that needs to re-prove himself. I wanted Higgins last offseason, if Nucks don't re-sign him, we should look at him, though he doesn't quite fit the "needs to prove himself again" type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i would trade pavs and nitty for a top 4 defencemen, and a middle of the line top 6 bottom 6 forward (a player that can play the top 6 role and not look out of place, but someone who thrives off of being a dominate bottom 6 player).
Pavs could be trade bait - his lack of speed and size can be a glaring issue that gets exposed against teams like the Canucks. Rather deal Clowe or Seto (or of course, Heater first).

Gilligans Island is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:22 AM
  #59
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i would trade pavs and nitty for a top 4 defencemen, and a middle of the line top 6 bottom 6 forward (a player that can play the top 6 role and not look out of place, but someone who thrives off of being a dominate bottom 6 player).

Do not want. $100 says Pavs was hurt at some point in the playoffs, and even so, when he finally got into the top 6 (tonight) he was one of our best players. Don't read too much into these last couple of weeks, Little Joe is still a very important part of this team.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:23 AM
  #60
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,716
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
They are not signing Ehrhoff and Kaberle is not the solution.

To be honest if we decide to go UFA route, we need to put the full court press on Pitkanen. There's no one else worth signing
isnt Pitkanen terrible at hitting the net? injury history should be looked at too. 70+ games avg. each of the last 3 yrs. 63 GP before that. dude is made of fine glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i would trade pavs and nitty for a top 4 defencemen, and a middle of the line top 6 bottom 6 forward (a player that can play the top 6 role and not look out of place, but someone who thrives off of being a dominate bottom 6 player).
Pavelski is not the problem. the swiss army knife needs to stay. i hope a Pavs trade is not even considered.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:26 AM
  #61
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Agree here - we got Malhotra the year before and Wellwood luckily. Seems you can always find that 9th fwd who's a vet that needs to re-prove himself. I wanted Higgins last offseason, if Nucks don't re-sign him, we should look at him, though he doesn't quite fit the "needs to prove himself again" type.



Pavs could be trade bait - his lack of speed and size can be a glaring issue that gets exposed against teams like the Canucks. Rather deal Clowe or Seto (or of course, Heater first).
i wanted to say seto and pavs, but remembered that if the sharks don't think seto is in there long term plans they just say bye bye seto go find a new team. (he isn't signed)

i would keep clowe after this season, you can tell he is a main part of the leadership group. clowe in my opinion is the 2nd main leader after thornton. and clowe brings a lot more to the table when he is playing bad like physical play, tough guy role. pavs when he is playing bad his offense goes down the drain and even his defense does to.

Barrie22 is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:26 AM
  #62
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
There are no high end two-way guys available. There are also no top defensive unit guys available either. The easiest solution is to re-sign White, who is a two-way guy. He has been improving defensively with each passing game. He just needs more familiarity. Braun could also help in this regard. Boyle, Murray, Demers, Vlasic, White, and Braun would not be a bad set of blue liners to start the year and see what they have.

They are not going to improve speed up front unless they let Wellwood walk. Realistically, I don't see that happening. He performed admirably considering the circumstances and, again, him with the team for a full year should see improved results.
Pitkanen, JayBo and Brewer can all take on top qualcomps. Listed in order of offensive skill and are all TWDs. They need to move Boyle away from top qualcomp; it showed in the playoffs.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:28 AM
  #63
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,840
vCash: 628
So, what would you guys do if DW re-signs Wallin and Huskins? Would you rush his house with pitchforks? God, I would be soooo furious. Just when you're celebrating their departure somehow they get re-signed. Please don't it DW. The #1 reason why DW won't is because he's a copycat. He copies what works for other teams and try to get it. Last year he copied the cheap, butterfly goalie that philly and chicago made it to the finals with. Hopefully he copies the puckmoving d-men this offseason.

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
  #64
D Huang
Registered User
 
D Huang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: China
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
isnt Pitkanen terrible at hitting the net? injury history should be looked at too. 70+ games avg. each of the last 3 yrs. 63 GP before that. dude is made of fine glass.


Pavelski is not the problem. the swiss army knife needs to stay. i hope a Pavs trade is not even considered.
70+ games isn't so bad...a few minor injuries throughout the season. Can't speak about his ability to hit the net, but he has good offensive presence. Most importantly he is good for at least 25 minutes per game, which is something we desperately need. Although finding a pairing that works for him would be a challenge. You don't want to break up the chemistry between Boyle-Murray and Vlasic-Demers, but then you don't want Braun (or whoever Pitkanen is paired with) to be out there 25 min a night

Though signing him to begin with may be a long shot

D Huang is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
  #65
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Do not want. $100 says Pavs was hurt at some point in the playoffs, and even so, when he finally got into the top 6 (tonight) he was one of our best players. Don't read too much into these last couple of weeks, Little Joe is still a very important part of this team.
Both Pavs and Marleau went in the tank after TM played them into the ground for a few games. It was like pick whoever is playing best and play him into the ground. Even TM backed Marleau when he wasn't scoring and pointed at TOI. All of those little bumps and bruises add up. Plus, the big issue for Pavs was Mitchell all of a sudden losing his ability to get the puck into a 50/50 battle.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
  #66
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Pitkanen, JayBo and Brewer can all take on top qualcomps. Listed in order of offensive skill and are all TWDs. They need to move Boyle away from top qualcomp; it showed in the playoffs.
Are you sure about Pitkanen? He is rather soft which isn't good since our D will be even softer next season.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:33 AM
  #67
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Both Pavs and Marleau went in the tank after TM played them into the ground for a few games. It was like pick whoever is playing best and play him into the ground. Even TM backed Marleau when he wasn't scoring and pointed at TOI. All of those little bumps and bruises add up. Plus, the big issue for Pavs was Mitchell all of a sudden losing his ability to get the puck into a 50/50 battle.
Mitchell brings nothing to the table other than speed. He got a jolt from playing with skill guys in Wellwood and Pavelski, but his job could be done by someone making half his salary.

Sign Mayers to 700K, trade Mitchell for a pick and sign Wellwood to Mitchell's salary.

__________________
"I hate books; they only teach us to talk about things we know nothing about."
-Jean Jacques Rousseau
USF Shark is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:36 AM
  #68
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol
 
Arkansas Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Underground Bunker
Country: United States
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Let Huskins, Mayers, Nichol and Wallin go.

Resign Wellfed, Seto, White, Eager, Ferriero, Desjardins.

Trade Heatley and Clowe if possible.

Fill the void from the possible trades and free agents with Erik Cole, Tomas Fleischmann, Brooks Laich, Jussi Jokinen, Chris Higgins, Max Talbot, or Marcel Goc.

Mobile dman that come to mind are Andrei Markov, Joni Pitkanen, Kevin Bieska, Christian Ehrhoff, or James Wisniewski.

Maybe DW could try a stab at the plentiful RFA defensemen pool as well. Maybe Keith Yandle?

Just throwing out names.

Arkansas Shark is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:38 AM
  #69
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Mitchell brings nothing to the table other than speed. He got a jolt from playing with skill guys in Wellwood and Pavelski, but his job could be done by someone making half his salary.

Sign Mayers to 700K, trade Mitchell for a pick and sign Wellwood to Mitchell's salary.
Yep, trade bait. Or sign someone as speedy as him who can actually score.

there should lots of reclamation projects to choose from. Mitchell and Nitty are the biggest ones we need to - and could realistically - move.

Gilligans Island is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:43 AM
  #70
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Yep, trade bait. Or sign someone as speedy as him who can actually score.

there should lots of reclamation projects to choose from. Mitchell and Nitty are the biggest ones we need to - and could realistically - move.
whos going to want nitty? DW overpays hard for people, market for 2 mil backup goalies is zero. We are stuck with him, unless ownership eats it and lets us send him down to the minors and bring up stalock.

gonegonegone* is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:44 AM
  #71
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Are you sure about Pitkanen? He is rather soft which isn't good since our D will be even softer next season.
I am not fond of Pitkanen because he will probably want #1PP unit. He can't hit the ocean with a beachball. He is a puckmover and is not as soft as portrayed. I say JayBo only in the hopes that a JayBo/Heatley deal could be worked. JayBo is also considered soft but is very effective, kind of Rathje with speed and puck skills. Brewer has the least offensive skills of the three by a bit.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:46 AM
  #72
D Huang
Registered User
 
D Huang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: China
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Actually on second look, Markov would also be excellent. Recent injuries are obviously a concern but he was the ultimate TWD before he went down. He's better than Boyle offensively and has shut down capabilities as well. Not sure what it would take to get him here though

D Huang is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:46 AM
  #73
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I am not fond of Pitkanen because he will probably want #1PP unit. He can't hit the ocean with a beachball. He is a puckmover and is not as soft as portrayed. I say JayBo only in the hopes that a JayBo/Heatley deal could be worked. JayBo is also considered soft but is very effective, kind of Rathje with speed and puck skills. Brewer has the least offensive skills of the three by a bit.
I am really against JBo, personally. He has proven that he has zero intensity when it matters. He has been a failure in Calgary. I can already imagine the failure of JBo-Vlasic shutdown pairing - all pokechecks, no hits.

But I do agree that it would be the only way to move Heater. I don't think it will be beneficial to either team though.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:47 AM
  #74
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
whos going to want nitty? DW overpays hard for people, market for 2 mil backup goalies is zero. We are stuck with him, unless ownership eats it and lets us send him down to the minors and bring up stalock.
Someone recently posted possible teams - Leafs were on it. If the Flyers can't afford to land Vokoun or Bryzgalof, maybe them? Bolts or Islanders? Nitty isn't grossly overpaid, is a serviceable #1 for 30-40 games and only has 1 year left on his deal. That's not terrible.

Gilligans Island is offline  
Old
05-25-2011, 01:52 AM
  #75
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,716
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
Actually on second look, Markov would also be excellent. Recent injuries are obviously a concern but he was the ultimate TWD before he went down. He's better than Boyle offensively and has shut down capabilities as well. Not sure what it would take to get him here though
1. Russian player
2. DW 5 year extension
3. ???
4. Profit

its not happening.

magic school bus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.