HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 10:46 PM
WanderingCapsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Knuble's exit interview... wont be for some time. If we are waiting for him to retire before a player is willing to tell George, um, dude, try a new coach, dont hold your breath. If George cant see that a coaching change needs to be made, Knuble having to tell him tells me we need a new GM as well. He should parade to Patrick and tell him the full story.

Ovechkin looked out of sorts to me for much of the year. Most said it was his wrist. George said he was burned out from the previous year... forgot the exact words. I said he was trying to slow down his game, look to pass instead of trying to predictably shoot 2000 times a year. His goal scoring was way down, just why was that if he wasnt disinterested? He doesnt need Nick to pot 50.

Our 4 young guns appeared to have already peaked under Bruce. I am very skeptical that he can get any more out of them than he already has. They all regressed. it wasnt 20 games of defense.

Its time for an oil change.
This seems like a pretty good analysis, from what I saw this season.

It looks like to me some changes need to be made at the top. We are stuck with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Semin is gone after next season (if he could only apply that talent). Green......well........brilliant puck-mover when he is on...........but if the Caps could get any where near value for him, I would move him in a minute.

As for Bruce.....nice guy......but the Caps need someone who holds EVERYONE accountable.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Regarding BB I'm leaning your way Randy. Still not a fan of the system change as sure it righted the ship but were the players heart really in it? I'm sure it helped the the young players on D. Regardless this next year is going to be BBs gang plank season. Put up or get gone. Still leaning that it would be good to change the coach this off season though not really many appealing coaching candidates.
I think the system change was great and the teams play in the second half of the season seems to back it up. Looking back on the TB series, the team just ran out of gas both mentally and physically, IMO. BB's doesn't get a free pass either, IMO. It seems an assistant coaching change is needed since BB's isn't going anywhere. Someone needs to be added that can get a group of talented players to execute the PP with some competance and confidence.

During the last game between TB and Boston, TB's second PP unit started one PP and stayed out for almost the entire 2:00 minutes because Boston couldn't clear, and TB couldn't score. But despite TB's 2nd PP unit failing to score, their positioning and puck movement seemed miles above anything the Caps could do this past season. That needs to change.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I disagree with this. I think MoJo is going to start next season where he left of this past season. I think he is going to be a good 2nd line center for the Caps next season and I wouldn't be surprised if he does it between Laich and Semin.

If the Caps lose Laich, I don't think it will be a huge loss. I think you can replace Laich in free agency or with a trade pretty easily. I know most if not all Caps fans have become fans of Laich over the years, but I dont think a 20 goal scoring top 4 forward is as hard to replace in todays NHL as it once was.

That being said I would prefer to keep him. But he isn't worth mid 3's which he may get on the open market.
I am with you a 100% on Laich. I hope we don't bring him back. I see him as a fringe top six player. His numbers were a product of the system. When the wheels were turning he was getting points. But as soon as things went south. He did nothing to help. Jack of all trades master of none.

He should have bumped Knuble off the first line by now. Dont get me wrong I love Knuble. He is everything this team is missing. But he looked old and slow last season. He gets his goals with high hockey IQ. He puts himself in the right place at the rite time. That is something Laich will never do.

We would be much better off with a player that has less over all skill. But plays a role that better fits our needs. Someone that may not be a able to play 2C or 3C in a jam like Brooks can. But will be better at the net. And have some grit.

We need less skill and more heart and grit. It would make the life of our high skilled player much easier.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:31 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
We need less skill and more heart and grit. It would make the life of our high skilled player much easier.
That's a misconception to an extent. I think the overall skill level of this roster is very much overrated.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
That's a misconception to an extent. I think the overall skill level of this roster is very much overrated.
I think a lot of that has to do with the make up. You cant keep adding guys with high skill and little heart or grit. At some point it only hurts the team. I feel like Semin is just not a good fit for the caps. he is more of what we have and not what we need. If Semin stays the Laich has to go.

And for the Semin fans. Yes he is the best player on the ice one out of every five games. And he does back check hard a lot of the time. But like Mike Green. You could never count on him for a 20+ game cup run.

I look at it like fantasy baseball. Give me a team of guys that will give me 20 points a week. And I will win every league. Give me a team of guys like Semin. And may lead the league in points and still Finnish in 3rd place. And be knocked out in the second round.

You look at Semin's playoff numbers and that look good. You look close and see that most of his points came in bunches. And he was no were to be found a lot of the time.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
exit interview: these are sop end of the season interviews with management.
you said mcphee doesnt have a good feel for the room. i said knuble wouldnt fail to tell him there was a problem.

now...you say if a player tells him there is a problem thats bad too.

why dont we just do it your way then.
My way or the highway. Get on the bus.

I said if I player HAS to tell him to change the coach, then maybe we need a new GM as well. Dont worry folks, almost anyone here could land a solid player with our first rounders, just like George does.

How do you know Knuble wouldnt want to keep Bruce here, that he would rat him out. Dont you think Knuble greatly appreciates his almost uncontested time at 1RW? His only competition really, Fehr, always in the dog house? Knuble probably loves Bruce more than other players. Knuble will most likely only fully spill his beans on his true exit interview, into retirement. Hey, want to be our coach Mike?

Old
05-25-2011, 07:30 AM
txpd

My take on Knuble is that he wants to win. His time is running out. Your premise is that Boudreau is the problem and Knuble knows it. The only question being whether Knuble would rat out the coach or try and keep the secret. Are you kidding?

Of course you know what I was saying. If Knuble thought Boudreau was the problem, he would say so. If he saw that the coaching staff was being ignored, he would say so.

You actually, honestly believe that he wouldnt??

Old
05-25-2011, 07:38 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

What, is George giving Knuble truth serum? I think Knuble relates and would talk to Bruce, not George.

What precedent has been set that makes you so positive Knuble will sing like a canary to George and go over the coaches head? You actually, honestly pretend to believe that you know he would or wouldnt, for certain??

Old
05-25-2011, 07:41 AM
HTFN

Quote:
What, is George giving Knuble truth serum? I think Knuble relates and would talk to Bruce, not George.

What precedent has been set that makes you so positive Knuble will sing like a canary to George and go over the coaches head? You actually, honestly pretend to believe that you know he would or wouldnt, for certain??
It's my impression that what is said between he and George is anonymous. Whatever decisions George makes about Bruce would be thanks to "information", not "so guys, guess what Mike Knuble just told me."

In a situation like that, I don't see why Knuble wouldn't say anything if he thought that changing it would be better for the team. I know it wouldn't stop me.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
It's my impression that what is said between he and George is anonymous. Whatever decisions George makes about Bruce would be thanks to "information", not "so guys, guess what Mike Knuble just told me."

In a situation like that, I don't see why Knuble wouldn't say anything if he thought that changing it would be better for the team. I know it wouldn't stop me.
Knuble wouldn't have signed an extension if he didn't fully buy in to what BB / GMGM are preaching. Bottom line.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
txpd

here is the picture being painted.

its painfully obvious that boudreau is the problem. the fans know it. the players know it. the owner and the gm, however, are the two people that don't know it and the players won't tell them. and so the circus continues.

that scenario is purely obsurd.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
here is the picture being painted.

its painfully obvious that boudreau is the problem. the fans know it. the players know it. the owner and the gm, however, are the two people that don't know it and the players won't tell them. and so the circus continues.

that scenario is purely obsurd.
Tell me how you really feel ....

But again on Knuble, $ clearly isn't is motivation .... it's the chance to get another cup. Plenty of other contenders could use a guy like him yet he chose to stay and sign MID YEAR.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Purely absurd! Us fans want a cup. But.

We dont know what Ted and GM's priorities are now, do we. Building a consistent money making contender with minimal turnover from top to bottom, may be of the highest priority. The grass, not always greener with a coaching change on a knee jerk reaction from a 4 game sweep.

We kept Bryan Murray all those years. I am conditioned to this. Maybe its in Dick Patrick's handbook. Minimal coaching turnover. Its only hockey after all.

Saying Knuble isnt playing hockey for the money is a guess. Why do you go to work? All the money he makes now has to feed his family long after he can play. Do we know what his retirement account balance is? Feds is broke, and others too, I am certain. Burned by the house of cards real estate market and other money scamming schemes.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-25-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 08:00 AM

I don't see anything dramatic in the form of a change brewing. The plug - n - play philosophy is going to be maintained while some of the kids continue to grow. I understand that's been stated before but as GM indicated, this team still has a lot of potential 'stars' yet to crack the line up.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't believe any player would single-handedly take Boudreau down unless there's a bad relationship between them. If it's to happen it's more likely to be more of a subtle, collective thing but that also takes probing questions to unearth. Tough questions that management seems to bristle at and if that sensitivity continues then I have little hope for them correcting course.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:08 AM
txpd

Quote:
Purely absurd! Us fans want a cup. But.

We dont know what Ted and GM's priorities are now, do we. Building a consistent money making contender with minimal turnover from top to bottom, may be of the highest priority. The grass, not always greener with a coaching change on a knee jerk reaction from a 4 game sweep.

We kept Bryan Murray all those years. I am conditioned to this. Maybe its in Dick Patrick's handbook. Minimal coaching turnover. Its only hockey after all.

Saying Knuble isnt playing hockey for the money is a guess. Why do you go to work? All the money he makes now has to feed his family long after he can play. Do we know what his retirement account balance is?
* Its not obsurd as a fan to want a coaching change.
* Its purely obsurd to suggest that the only two that can't see what you see are the owner and gm
* players turn on their coach all the time. even the upstanding, team first players when asked the question by their boss.
* Knuble has a guaranteed contract and has many options beyond that.

Last edited by txpd: 05-25-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Tough questions that management seems to bristle at and if that sensitivity continues then I have little hope for them correcting course.
there are many questions that are asked behind closed doors that are bristled at in public.

q: are you going to fire your coach?
a: (bristling) hell, no. wtf?

result. 10 days later. coach fired.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, well, we're waiting. In the meantime there's a culture of thin skin that Leonsis embodies.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, well, we're waiting. In the meantime there's a culture of thin skin that Leonsis embodies.
oh...its not thin skin. we know what the real problem is. boudreau is a bad coach because he's fat. its documented. leonsis is fatter. so.....

though, it could be that leonsis would jump to accept any description of him as thin...eh?

Old
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Ted has some girth. Bruce is... roomy (SOTL reference). I think you figured it out.

Svelte George gets the Ax, Bruce lives.

No I am not putting the sarcasm smiley there. I am still pissed.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:41 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
But again on Knuble, $ clearly isn't is motivation .... it's the chance to get another cup. Plenty of other contenders could use a guy like him yet he chose to stay and sign MID YEAR.
It was the end of the year. And it was a really stupid move on his part if his motivation was to win.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
Ted has some girth. Bruce is... roomy (SOTL reference). I think you figured it out.

Svelte George gets the Ax, Bruce lives.

No I am not putting the sarcasm smiley there. I am still pissed.
ive been at this for a while. i used up my pissed back in the 90's vs the Penguins.

i feel like the team has failed with boudreau at the helm enough now that the weight they carry trying to get to the next level is just too heavy to climb with. but thats from my perspective on the outside. as a knowledgable fan, but as a lay person on the outside.

as someone who has been inside and a professional someplace where there are volumes of people on the outside that think they know better, i have personal experience with the reality that there is often information that forms decisions that is never available to the outside. its just a fact.

so, i am not going to pull my hair out and spend all summer and most of next season pulling my hair out and posting one professional death threat after another on these boards. thats not fun and i enjoy sports as recreation....meaning for fun. when its not fun, i find something that is and do that.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It was the end of the year. And it was a really stupid move on his part if his motivation was to win.
thats right. lets raise a glass. the caps have no shot. lets just agree on that. then we can move on and get some entertainment value out of the sport.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
thats right. lets raise a glass. the caps have no shot. lets just agree on that. then we can move on and get some entertainment value out of the sport.
Ha. Interesting assumption, but I just meant that if your motivation is to win it all, it makes eminently more sense to see how the postseason shakes out, and more importantly, see what teams do in free agency.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ha. Interesting assumption, but I just meant that if your motivation is to win it all, it makes eminently more sense to see how the postseason shakes out, and more importantly, see what teams do in free agency.
only if your goal is to figure out which team is going to win in july and try to get them to hire you. right? i think its more realistic for a player to take a job on the team with the best chance of winning that you can get to hire you. right?

unless you are arguing that the Capitals dont have a reasonable chance to win, then I would suggest Knuble has what he needs. A team that has an opening for what he brings to the table, salary cap space to hire him, and a reasonable chance to win.

If he signs with Detroit, he may end up bounced in the second round again. If he returned to Philly, where they dont have cap space for him, he's out after two rounds again.

You are saying that Knuble has thrown away his chance to win by signing with the Capitals...or am i wrong?

Closed Thread