HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we an attractive team for FA's now?

Old
05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Shanahan's agent said that the Habs' presentation was very good and very professional.

McGuire is full of it. He'll bash Habs management at the drop of a hat because they have the job he feels he should have.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Shanahan just use us as leverage for a better deal with Jersey or whichever team he signed with, where he wanted to play?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Shanahan just use us as leverage for a better deal with Jersey or whichever team he signed with, where he wanted to play?
Possibly, it was certainly mentioned by columnists at the time IIRC, but that is actually irrelevant to the professionalism of the Habs' presentation.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Right now, I think the Habs are in a positive situation if they exploit it.

I think the higher taxes is more than offset by the higher Canadian dollar, the lower cost of living and medicare, don't forget medicare. If they choose to play in New York the players will have to get health insurance, If you're a family of 3-4 that can add up. So financially it's a wash.

Another thing in the Habs' favour is we have a decent team on the rise. We have an excellent core with maybe one or two impact players away from becoming a contender.

The city. Montreal is really an excellent city to live in. If you combine night life, cultural events, shows, the quality of life and safety it is probably one of the top cities in North America. And let me give you a personal example. My brother is a professional musician. Right now he lives in New York and before that he lived in Toronto and Sao Paulo. Four years ago he travelled with Cirque throughout Europe for a year. Last time he was here, a couple of weeks ago, he repeated that Montreal was a great city except for the horrible live music scene. He would never return to live here because live music is the pits and the level of musicianship is terrible but he made the comment a number of times that Montreal is a great place to live. And this is someone who left the city at 17 and promised me he
would never come back.

So those are the positives in favour of the Habs. But the Habs have to put together a package that point out all the benefits that come with Montreal. I can remember Pierre McGuire after Montreal lost

Shanahan, saying something to the effect that management is really not selling the positives of this
city. They just have to let the UFAs know about it.
Very good post and I agree with you 100%. I really think this is the year that we finally get our first line player to play w/ pleks and cammy that we have long desired.!

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Very good post and I agree with you 100%. I really think this is the year that we finally get our first line player to play w/ pleks and cammy that we have long desired.!
Uh.. like who? The UFA market isn't exactly overflowing with elite talent.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If I'm Gauthier, I give Simon Gagné a ring.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
If I'm Gauthier, I give Simon Gagné a ring.
Gagné is too much of a chicken **** to ever come play for the habs.

And as far as his cerebral condition goes, I wouldn't touch him, even with a ten foot stanchion

Gagné will probably end-up the same way LaFontaine did.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gagné is too much of a chicken **** to ever come play for the habs.

And as far as his cerebral condition goes, I wouldn't touch him, even with a ten foot stanchion

Gagné will probably end-up the same way LaFontaine did.
I'm not saying I would take him...but it would have to be a 1 year deal at low cost after some of the bigger names are gone.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Via trade or we sign a free agent like Brooks laugh who would make an immediate impact on the Habs roster and most likely w/cammy and pleks.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
googlymoogly

With the popularity of PK on Twitter every UFA will want to play in Montreal

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
neofury*

Yeah a lot of people don't think about the fact that yes taxes in NYC might be cheaper than Montreal. The cost of living is extremely high though in NYC. That being said, I still think due to NYC being NYC, they have a major advantage for drawing UFA's.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Possibly, it was certainly mentioned by columnists at the time IIRC, but that is actually irrelevant to the professionalism of the Habs' presentation.
I agree with you. I can't imagine any organization, much less the Habs, not putting together a great recruiting package. At the end of the day, there's only so many things you can say and do to make a guy come. If he has anterior motives then it's a lost case regardless.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote