HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew Macdonald

Old
05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Andrew Macdonald

There's no question that Andrew Macdonald on the Islanders is breaking out. He is a stand up defenseman who can block shots, join the rush, and help man a powerplay. He's young and signed for peanuts until 2015.

The Islanders are in a situation where they need to take the next step. I view Macdonald as a future top 4 defenseman (obviously), with an outside chance at becoming a top pairing defenseman. Most likely a comfortable number 3 for years to come.

Could he land the Islanders a scorer? Could they make it work if he was the center of a package from Long Island?

Thoughts.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Renbarg

How are you an Islanders fan?

MacDonald is solidly part of "the core."

Whatever value he has on the open market will never come close to his value to the Islanders. Plus he has one of the sweetest contracts in the NHL.

I wouldn't even began speculating what he is worth because fans of other teams will simply laugh (and I don't blame them). It would take a lot for Garth to even think about trading him imo.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

You are clearly not patient at all. He was our #1 defenseman when he was healthy and is on an amazing contract. Why in the ****ing world would the Islanders trade him? He's the the type of player that every team would kill for and we have him, and you want him gone for a scorer?

You don't know crap PW.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
kasper11

Maybe it does make sense to trade MacDonald....

He is a very good young player on a great contract. BUT...if Wang decides to spend this year, that great contract will be less valuable to the Isles then a team near the cap. Maybe there is a team willing to trade a player that is clearly better but comes at a higher cap hit. IF the Isles are willing to spend, why not make that deal?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Maybe it does make sense to trade MacDonald....

He is a very good young player on a great contract. BUT...if Wang decides to spend this year, that great contract will be less valuable to the Isles then a team near the cap. Maybe there is a team willing to trade a player that is clearly better but comes at a higher cap hit. IF the Isles are willing to spend, why not make that deal?
It makes no sense to trade MacDonald. No matter what budget the team is on that contract should be greatly valued. Wang can still spend money on a scorer without having to give up AMac.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The Isles need good defensemen more than they do scorers at this point.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Why would the Islanders want to trade Macdonald?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 8000
were you watching the islanders last year? wtf kind of proposal is this? i mean, we want the team to improve right? he has potential to be a top 4 dman? HE IS A TOP 4 DMAN! this is a team that was 15th in goals for without streit and without okposo for half a year. and the same team was 28th in the league for goals against. why would the islanders trade andrew macdonald whos value is through the roof due to his contract and abilities for a scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
How are you an Islanders fan?
MacDonald is solidly part of "the core."

Whatever value he has on the open market will never come close to his value to the Islanders. Plus he has one of the sweetest contracts in the NHL.

I wouldn't even began speculating what he is worth because fans of other teams will simply laugh (and I don't blame them). It would take a lot for Garth to even think about trading him imo.
valid question.

without macdonald the team takes a huge hit. his transition game alone was huge without streit, add in his defensive capabilities and contract and he has immense value. name another top 4 dman that gets paid for 575k, that isnt on an ELC. or even a top 4 dman that makes less then a million.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Why would the Islanders want to trade Macdonald?
They don't. PatientlyWaiting can get very impatient.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Ah good ole ImpatientlyWaiting.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
There's no question that Andrew Macdonald on the Islanders is breaking out. He is a stand up defenseman who can block shots, join the rush, and help man a powerplay. He's young and signed for peanuts until 2015.

The Islanders are in a situation where they need to take the next step. I view Macdonald as a future top 4 defenseman (obviously), with an outside chance at becoming a top pairing defenseman. Most likely a comfortable number 3 for years to come.

Could he land the Islanders a scorer? Could they make it work if he was the center of a package from Long Island?

Thoughts.
Trading MacDonald makes no sense. All the things you said about him in the first paragraph are the reasons why he will NOT be traded.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

To answer your question, he could probably fetch the Isles a secondary scorer. If you're looking for a bigger name, obviously that would depend on what else is being added. He's a top pairing defenseman on the Isles but likely a bottom pairing defenseman on a good team, so the Isles wouldn't be getting the value they're looking for. Every GM would want to see him keep his play up a couple more years before considering dangling a top line forward for him.

I don't condone trading him one bit, but I'm hoping this answers your value question.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Hockify

Trade Andrew MacDonald?
No way it happens and part of the reason is that MacDonald is worth even more to the Islanders than he is worth to other teams. Make no mistake though 29 other organizations would be happy to have him somewhere on their NHL roster.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:53 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
It makes no sense to trade MacDonald. No matter what budget the team is on that contract should be greatly valued. Wang can still spend money on a scorer without having to give up AMac.
IF Want is willing to spend, the Isles have the cap room to bring in a scorer AND move AMac for an upgrade.

I like AMac a lot, but there are better dmen out there. If a cap-stretched team is willing to move one for AMac, the Isles are in position to make that kind of a deal.

By no stretch am I saying he should be moved. What I am saying, is that his contract makes him more valuable than his play alone. Don't trade him just to trade him. But, there is a chance the Isles could be a better team for trading him, in which case they maybe should.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:16 PM
CodeE

NHL 11 has him at 75 overall with mediocre potential for improvement, I'm guessing a 2014 6th round pick or a player over the age of 39.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:59 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
IF Want is willing to spend, the Isles have the cap room to bring in a scorer AND move AMac for an upgrade.

I like AMac a lot, but there are better dmen out there. If a cap-stretched team is willing to move one for AMac, the Isles are in position to make that kind of a deal.

By no stretch am I saying he should be moved. What I am saying, is that his contract makes him more valuable than his play alone. Don't trade him just to trade him. But, there is a chance the Isles could be a better team for trading him, in which case they maybe should.
What no Islander fan seems to understand is that with the arena situation/teams future perhaps never amounting to what it needs to, they will have to part with an asset on the CURRENT roster to finally bring in better players.

All I wanted to do was gauge his value in such a move. It really is embarrassing when Islander fans react like this. Let's not act like hes untouchable.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:28 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
What no Islander fan seems to understand is that with the arena situation/teams future perhaps never amounting to what it needs to, they will have to part with an asset on the CURRENT roster to finally bring in better players.

All I wanted to do was gauge his value in such a move. It really is embarrassing when Islander fans react like this. Let's not act like hes untouchable.
So trading AMac improves our arena chances??? What does the arena situation have to do with him..

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:45 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
To answer your question, he could probably fetch the Isles a secondary scorer. If you're looking for a bigger name, obviously that would depend on what else is being added. He's a top pairing defenseman on the Isles but likely a bottom pairing defenseman on a good team, so the Isles wouldn't be getting the value they're looking for. Every GM would want to see him keep his play up a couple more years before considering dangling a top line forward for him.

I don't condone trading him one bit, but I'm hoping this answers your value question.

This

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:48 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Not sure why you would want to trade him but i would probably offer D'Agostini for him

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

If a team having cap issues is willing to downgrade their D for the better contract, that likely means that they're sending a guy with a big contract back to us. Odds are, that money could be better spent adding a player that doesn't require us to give up MacDonald.

Plus, I just don't see any Dmen out there that would be moved to make cap room and are a marked improvement over him anyway. And if there are, there would be issues like age, length of contract, overpaid, etc that would likely be prohibitive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Not sure why you would want to trade him but i would probably offer D'Agostini for him
I think the Blues have enough Andy McDonalds.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

The traded the Wiz because he took his spot. At least that was my understanding. I doubt that he moves.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Building block for the up-n-comin' Isles.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:30 PM
gotmonte

Just a thought. How about the Islanders STOP trading away their few bright spots on their roster? (obviously you have a bright future now with a lot of the players but I am speaking on now AND in the past).

The Islanders are ALWAYS known for drafting GREAT and trading them away for crap.

You want to keep that going? Trade away a future TOP 4 (your words, NOT mine) for another piece of the puzzle? How about building AROUND your top young talent INCLUDING MACDONALD?

Your not in "the win it now mode" so keep building.

As a Rangers fan, the Islanders are scaring me with the talent they have. I can ONLY HOPE they move so they dont give me nightmares playing them anymore lol

But if your hell-bent on trading him, Ill give ya Prust and stajer (Lord knows you need MORE goalies (shush lol)

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Ah good ole ImpatientlyWaiting.
This

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

For half a second I thought that an Isles fan started this thread, i was gonna flip.

There are about 15 players I would trade Amac for, huge no.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote