HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ha. Interesting assumption, but I just meant that if your motivation is to win it all, it makes eminently more sense to see how the postseason shakes out, and more importantly, see what teams do in free agency.
Unless you honestly believe in the group that is currently there and feel the group is likely to stay together.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
txpd

interesting quote from Blaska last night, Bieksa said . . . "To go to the Stanley Cup Final is a dream come true, and to do it with this group of guys . . . our core has been here for seven or eight years working toward something special and we have a huge opportunity in front of us."

Old
05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
There is certainly something to be said about chemistry. Not having to telegraph every pass and play. But it flies in the face of Bruce that makes lots of change ups among his forward lines in general. Then come the playoffs, breaks out new lines he never used before. And pairings. Fehr gets a period with Ovi and Nick in the playoffs. Finally. He looked like crap. They had no chemistry at all.

I like Erskine better than most but pairing him with Green... failed. What he does on defense is generally opposite of his forwards - he works the extremes. Alzner and Carlson were together all year, something I didnt like in case one got injured. Or the pairing got exposed come playoff time. What would he do with them? Alzner should have gotten time with Green this year. Bottom line. Carlson, with Sarge and Hannan. We are talking basic stuff here, logical pairings to try in the long and meaningless regular season. Kid/Vet Offensive/Defensive, R/L. Sure enough, I think Alzner and Carlson were our shakiest pairing in the playoffs. No surprise really, going with two greenhorns together. But he stuck with it... since he had all year?

Green and Sarge the year before, inseparable. Why? I have no idea. It certainly didnt pay any dividends really outside of chemistry in A D pairing... static. So him and Erskine get thrown together, limited reps from previous years. They play the same man in the corner. Boom. Backbreaker goal. We lost; our D pairings were inconsistent and ineffective all Tampa series.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 10:50 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
only if your goal is to figure out which team is going to win in july and try to get them to hire you. right? i think its more realistic for a player to take a job on the team with the best chance of winning that you can get to hire you. right?

unless you are arguing that the Capitals dont have a reasonable chance to win, then I would suggest Knuble has what he needs. A team that has an opening for what he brings to the table, salary cap space to hire him, and a reasonable chance to win.

If he signs with Detroit, he may end up bounced in the second round again. If he returned to Philly, where they dont have cap space for him, he's out after two rounds again.

You are saying that Knuble has thrown away his chance to win by signing with the Capitals...or am i wrong?
You're wrong. I'm saying he made a very uninformed decision if he's trying to win a cup. Frankly, I think he re-signed here because he likes it here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
txpd

Quote:
You're wrong. I'm saying he made a very uninformed decision if he's trying to win a cup. Frankly, I think he re-signed here because he likes it here. Nothing more, nothing less.
ah...he's stupid. i guess then he fits in with the many other idiots, fools, and clowns involved with the capitals.

while i thought it was a good argument that knuble staying is evidence that maybe the caps arent as lost as we think, i now see it actually as proof that knuble doesnt have the integrity and the hockey iq that i thought he had.

good points.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
I agree. He obviously likes it here. I think players eventually tire of moving to a new city chasing money or a cup, especially later in their career. The grass is not always greener, and he has seen first hand that Ted and the team want a winner. Maybe not a cup winner, but a team that wins more than enough to have a spot in the big dance every year. At this point in his career, he wants respectable pay, to not friggin move over and over (headache we all know about), to live in a nice area, and a good chance at a cup. Who would really want anything else?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
interesting quote from Blaska last night, Bieksa said . . . "To go to the Stanley Cup Final is a dream come true, and to do it with this group of guys . . . our core has been here for seven or eight years working toward something special and we have a huge opportunity in front of us."
Well I feel the difference is they've established their core and built around it with guys like Hamhuis, Malhotra, Samuelsson, etc.. While the Caps are still establishing their core.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
txpd

its a process and hamhuis and malhotra are very recent additions.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
FrankM73

Hard to predicted UFA acquisitions or resignings but thoughts on this oh wise posters?

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Brooks Laich ($3.500m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Cody Eakin ($0.660m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Matt Bradley ($1.100m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Andrew Gordon ($0.650m) / Jay Beagle ($0.512m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Tom Poti ($2.875m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Tyler Sloan ($0.700m) / Karl Alzner ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,169,850; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,110,150

Those in BOLD are resigned!

I throw Andrew Gordon into the roster since he's a UFA and may be part of the plan for next year, or maybe not!

Last edited by FrankM73: 05-25-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Those in bold are resigned!
Old
05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Hard to predicted UFA acquisitions or resignings but thoughts on this oh wise posters?

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Brooks Laich ($3.500m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Cody Eakin ($0.660m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Matt Bradley ($1.100m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Andrew Gordon ($0.650m) / Jay Beagle ($0.512m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Tom Poti ($2.875m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Tyler Sloan ($0.700m) / Karl Alzner ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,169,850; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,110,150

Those in BOLD are resigned!

I throw Andrew Gordon into the roster since he's a UFA and may be part of the plan for next year, or maybe not!
So basically the same exact team as this year?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't believe any player would single-handedly take Boudreau down unless there's a bad relationship between them. If it's to happen it's more likely to be more of a subtle, collective thing but that also takes probing questions to unearth. Tough questions that management seems to bristle at and if that sensitivity continues then I have little hope for them correcting course.
Winner.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Part of my anger and disagreement with "the plan" is Ovi. Imagine Ovi wasnt here. Pitt somehow wins the lottery again, naturally. Where would we be in our rebuild, and what would your expectation be. I wouldn't expect dick.

Getting Ovi raised the expectation bar real quick for some of us. Yet, I dont think Dick Ted and George have. They refuse to let anything force them to deviate from the plan, is my theory. Slow and steady wins the race. Marge Simpson would be proud.

Many here myself included kind of hope they deviate and just get us a Hayden licked cup, for once. One time. I just fear that we are not fully utilizing an Ovi that i for some reason, just think he is in his prime. Just a hunch, but its tough to top his previous years in my book. He doesnt hit like he used to. He could do this same thing for 15 years for all I know. But he brings a highly physical game and style. Even Gordie Howe couldnt bring it forever.

They have a plan and appear they are sticking to it. I do give George credit for some of his deadline moves though, which reek of trying to win now. I just get the sense that the team as constructed won't win a cup with Bruce. He is not getting the most out of his core players, the ones we need to carry the load for us as the collective draft picks led by sarge and the goalies, reach full maturation.

That is, unless BB slips juice in their cornflakes and hits their turbo buttons... hmmm paging Doctor Nick.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-25-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
its a process and hamhuis and malhotra are very recent additions.
True, just most of us are just wanting a SC. It gets frustrating to watch teams like Carolina, Tampa Bay, Anaheim win a SC and we're still waiting, but I'm speaking to the crowd. If the Finals are Boston/Vancouver at least that is teams that haven't seen a SC or haven't won a cup in decades. I do know this, we'll never win a SC with Schultz in our lineup. Vancouver spent money and traded for weaknesses in the offseason while we did nothing. With the play of our rookies this year and the seasoning they recieved, I can forgive last offseason. To do nothing this offseason will be a complete failure. Alzner, Carlson, Johansson, and Neuvy/Holtby have proven they are ready for the NHL, they need the support cast/mentors to step it up. Of course those players would help the other guys too.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
So basically the same exact team as this year?
I prefaced it by saying difficult to see who will be added or subtracted, but what are posters thoughts on current Caps players resigned and their salaries? Who would you not resign and who would you resign and for what amount?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Part of my anger and disagreement with "the plan" is Ovi. Imagine Ovi wasnt here. Pitt somehow wins the lottery again, naturally. Where would we be in our rebuild, and what would your expectation be. I wouldn't expect dick.

Getting Ovi raised the expectation bar real quick for some of us. Yet, I dont think Dick Ted and George have. They refuse to let anything force them to deviate from the plan, is my theory. Slow and steady wins the race. Marge Simpson would be proud.

Many here myself included kind of hope they deviate and just get us a Hayden licked cup, for once. One time. I just fear that we are not fully utilizing an Ovi that i for some reason, just think he is in his prime. Just a hunch, but its tough to top his previous years in my book. He doesnt hit like he used to. He could do this same thing for 15 years for all I know. But he brings a highly physical game and style. Even Gordie Howe couldnt bring it forever.

They have a plan and appear they are sticking to it. I do give George credit for some of his deadline moves though, which reek of trying to win now. I just get the sense that the team as constructed won't win a cup with Bruce. He is not getting the most out of his core players, the ones we need to carry the load for us as the collective draft picks led by sarge and the goalies, reach full maturation.

That is, unless BB slips juice in their cornflakes and hits their turbo buttons... hmmm paging Doctor Nick.
Great post and if we had lost the lottery, I'm convinced GM would have picked Cam Barker. Yes, I do not believe he would have picked Malkin or Ladd. Thankfully, we did win the lottery and picked a gift and no brainer. I do think Ovy's play and success did speed up the rebuild. Yes, I do agree with his trades. We would have not made the 2008 playoffs without those deadline deals. As for signing UFAs, GMGM doesn't have a good track record in getting great UFAs.

Go Caps!!

Old
05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Great post and if we had lost the lottery, I'm convinced GM would have picked Cam Barker. Yes, I do not believe he would have picked Malkin or Ladd. Thankfully, we did win the lottery and picked a gift and no brainer. I do think Ovy's play and success did speed up the rebuild. Yes, I do agree with his trades. We would have not made the 2008 playoffs without those deadline deals. As for signing UFAs, GMGM doesn't have a good track record in getting great UFAs.

Go Caps!!
Thanks. One thing I think that the braintrust is discounting, is ticket and merchandise sales if they were to go all out and get us a cup. Go get that big bad ass defensemen, that big center Ted has publically said he has wanted. Out with a few guys George drafted and thinks the world of. There are more picks to make next year, and every year after that. You can always keep adding. By competing as we are led by Ovi, we keep getting crappy picks! Arg.

There is more than one way to skin a cat (consistent sells out, profitability, competitiveness). I think one of them, is simply winning a cup, at all costs.

Old
05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Dream Big

Not sure where to put this update on Oskar.
http://twitter.com/#!/OskarOsala
http://www.vasabladet.fi/Sport/Story.aspx?linkID=156282

Old
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Great post and if we had lost the lottery, I'm convinced GM would have picked Cam Barker. Yes, I do not believe he would have picked Malkin or Ladd.
If the Caps hadn't won the lottery they would have picked 3rd so Malkin would have been gone already as Ovechkin and Malkin were by far the 2 best players available.

Last edited by Millhaus: 05-26-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Osala is Hurricanes property now based on the Joe Corvo trade 2 years ago.... so in the Canes section!

Old
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Quote:
Great post and if we had lost the lottery, I'm convinced GM would have picked Cam Barker. Yes, I do not believe he would have picked Malkin or Ladd.
If the Caps hadn't won the lottery they would have picked 3rd so Malkin would have been gone already as Ovechkin and Malkin were by far the 2 best players available.
Correct. I also remember reading that if the Penguins had picked first in the Ovechkin draft, then they would've had one fewer ping pong ball in the Crosby draft. Chicago would've won that, apparently.

so:
Pens get Ovechkin (to go with Fleury, who they already had)
Hawks get Malkin and Crosby
Caps get Cam Barker (or Andrew Ladd or Blake Wheeler) and a damn good shot at Erik Johnson

woo!

Old
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Capitlols

If the Caps lost the Ovechkin lottery, they likely get Crosby the following year.

Edit: Totally forgot the lockout.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Osala is Hurricanes property now based on the Joe Corvo trade 2 years ago.... so in the Canes section!
Thanks, Oh no Joe. Forgot about him.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
txpd

Lets not do the what if stuff. If the Caps dont get Ovechkin, they get Barker. IF they get Barker, whether they got Crosby or not, they would not have gotten Pololuk and they probably would have picked earlier than Backstrom. Chicago would have gotten Ovechkin or Malkin rather than Barker. So how would they ahve been different?

It happened the way it happened.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If the Caps don't win the Lotto with Ovy, there is no "The GM debate" thread.....he would have been long gone. Better lucky than good....

Old
05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
OVMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Correct. I also remember reading that if the Penguins had picked first in the Ovechkin draft, then they would've had one fewer ping pong ball in the Crosby draft. Chicago would've won that, apparently.

so:
Pens get Ovechkin (to go with Fleury, who they already had)
Hawks get Malkin and Crosby
Caps get Cam Barker (or Andrew Ladd or Blake Wheeler) and a damn good shot at Erik Johnson

woo!

Looking at that picture...i want to throw up

Closed Thread