HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg: done deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
  #1
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 15,649
vCash: 500
Thrashers to Winnipeg: done deal

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/320236.html

According to Lavoie, so take it with a grain of salt

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
  #2
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 15,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Thrashers deal hours away: Winnipeg mayor

The National Hockey League's return to Winnipeg should be finalized within the next two days, Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz said Tuesday afternoon.

True North Sports & Entertainment remains in discussions with the owners of the Atlanta Thrashers about acquiring the team and moving it to the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.

Katz said he expects to see a resolution today or Thursday.

"I fully expect we'll have an answer within the next 48 hours," said Katz, who is not involved in the negotiations.

Katz also claimed that the name of the team will not be the Jets, but True North says no decision has been made.
Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...#ixzz1NOrLvWqg

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:12 PM
  #3
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 827
Les vidangeurs de Winnipeg?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
  #4
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Deal breakdown for Thrashers: True North will give 130 millions to buy the Thrashers and 40 millions to the NHL on relocation fees.
http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey/stat...76912130961408

Take it for what's worth.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
  #5
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
pretty cheap

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
  #6
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Yawn, I hated the Jets as much as I did the Thrashers. I wish Vegas had a team, because I actually enjoy going to that city, unlike Winnipeg.

NHL isn't going forwards with this, its a lateral move.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
  #7
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Is it wrong that I truly and honestly believe the NHL delayed this to Wednesday just to make Stephen Brunt look bad?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
  #8
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Yawn, I hated the Jets as much as I did the Thrashers. I wish Vegas had a team, because I actually enjoy going to that city, unlike Winnipeg.

NHL isn't going forwards with this, its a lateral move.
It's good for Canada, and it IS good for the NHL as long as the Thrashers couldn't put more than 10 000 bodies in the arena. Winnipeg will draw more than that, and the tickets will cost more to top that off. More revenue for the league. More revenue from merchandising.

It's not a big market so the market for growth is for sure limited, but it's got a solid foundation and as long as the Canadian dollar stays near the American dollar it will be a viable franchise, and for the record the dollar is forecasted to stay above parity for quite some time, if never going back down below it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:28 PM
  #9
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Yawn, I hated the Jets as much as I did the Thrashers. I wish Vegas had a team, because I actually enjoy going to that city, unlike Winnipeg.

NHL isn't going forwards with this, its a lateral move.
What the heck are you talking about?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
  #10
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's good for Canada, and it IS good for the NHL as long as the Thrashers couldn't put more than 10 000 bodies in the arena. Winnipeg will draw more than that, and the tickets will cost more to top that off. More revenue for the league. More revenue from merchandising.

It's not a big market so the market for growth is for sure limited, but it's got a solid foundation and as long as the Canadian dollar stays near the American dollar it will be a viable franchise, and for the record the dollar is forecasted to stay above parity for quite some time, if never going back down below it.
And this also isn't an expansion scenario where Winnipeg is grabbing waivers scraps to put together a roster. They're getting a legitimate NHL caliber line-up from day 1.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
  #11
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,430
vCash: 500
Lame. Sad day for hockey.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
  #12
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
If any other promising young teams on the upswing want to move west, that'd be okay.

Hey, can we get Columbus to replace them?

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  #13
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
And this also isn't an expansion scenario where Winnipeg is grabbing waivers scraps to put together a roster. They're getting a legitimate NHL caliber line-up from day 1.
It is what it is.

There is nobody to blame but the Thrashers management and the fans for not putting ***** in the seats, they had a decent roster this year. I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for them one bit.

The city could have stepped up like Glendale as well.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:37 PM
  #14
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
If any other promising young teams on the upswing want to move west, that'd be okay.

Hey, can we get Columbus to replace them?
We might get Nashville which is pretty much a few more Devils games per year.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
  #15
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...dit-78057.html


gary Bettman saying that the deal is not done yet and o relax.

shamrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
  #16
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
We might get Nashville which is pretty much a few more Devils games per year.
The rumor a while back was that Detroit wanted to play in the East again, I believe this goes back 1-2 years ago. Not sure if the NHL would want one of it's flagship teams changing conferences like that though.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
  #17
habsfanwpg27*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
...thats BIG news...

habsfanwpg27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
  #18
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It is what it is.

There is nobody to blame but the Thrashers management and the fans for not putting ***** in the seats, they had a decent roster this year. I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for them one bit.

The city could have stepped up like Glendale as well.
I don't feel sorry for Atlanta either, but I also don't agree with Glendale ponying up money that should be used for public services to buy another year of a failed hockey franchise.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
  #19
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I don't feel sorry for Atlanta either, but I also don't agree with Glendale ponying up money that should be used for public services to buy another year of a failed hockey franchise.
We agree on all points then.

I *do* feel bad for the fans that we're dedicated to the franchise, that's tough to swallow... But that being said, Winnipeg fans had their hearts ripped out 15 years ago, so it helps to remedy the pain I feel for the Thrashers fans that are losing their team.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
  #20
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
One thing that this will do is just about guarantee that the cap will go up in 2012 - they have a new tv deal and one less money losing team. That will help with resigning Price and PK next year. Is there anyone on the trashers that will not want to move to Winnipeg that we could trade for (Bogosian, Ladd ?) ?

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
  #21
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The rumor a while back was that Detroit wanted to play in the East again, I believe this goes back 1-2 years ago. Not sure if the NHL would want one of it's flagship teams changing conferences like that though.
there was an agreement that Detroit would get the first chance to move to the East after Toronto moved in 1998, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. I would imagine that teams like St. Louis and Columbus would be really reluctant to see Detroit leave.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
  #22
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The rumor a while back was that Detroit wanted to play in the East again, I believe this goes back 1-2 years ago. Not sure if the NHL would want one of it's flagship teams changing conferences like that though.
I know Ilitch has been wanting to move East since the great realignment, but it just seems so unrealistic. Colorado and Chicago lose their biggest draw.

Nashville is in CST, Columbus is in EST. The only problem with Columbus is the wacky realignment that would need to take place, whereas Nashville would fit perfectly into the southeast division.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
  #23
hockey momma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
I doubt very much anyone trusts Bettman anymore in saying this is not a done deal!

hockey momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
  #24
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
I know Ilitch has been wanting to move East since the great realignment, but it just seems so unrealistic. Colorado and Chicago lose their biggest draw.

Nashville is in CST, Columbus is in EST. The only problem with Columbus is the wacky realignment that would need to take place, whereas Nashville would fit perfectly into the southeast division.
The NHL would be wise to do something temporary, but something permanent needs to be done.

I would do this personally.

NE stays the same
Atl stays the same
SE remove Atl, add Nas

Pac remove Dal, add Van
Cen remove Nas, Stl, add Win, Min
dissolve NW
Create MW Dal, Stl, Col, Cal, Edm

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
  #25
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
I'll believe it when I'm actually watching a regular season NHL game in the MTS center...until than I'm not holding my breath. But it is exciting to see how close we are at getting back a team, can't wait to catch a hab game when they come to town.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.