HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tim Thomas Gear

Old
05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Fleuryoutside29

vCash: 500
Tim Thomas Gear

Does anyone know all the stuff Tim Thomas wears? He played so great this year and as a young goaltender I'm interested in knowing what kind of gear he uses. Who knows maybe I could start playing like him with the right gear. Btw if you haven't seen this yet you're not a hockey fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ucKx4xqhE

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Thepandamancan

He uses Vaughn velocity pads and glove. Not sure what specific model. His blocker is the new larceny glove and his stick (which made that awesome save) is the 11K. The mask is a sportsmask mage.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Brodeur

Like most pro goalies, they'll have special specs that the retail versions generally won't. Thomas in particular seems to have tried every pad brand in the last few years.

Here's a thread about some pro stock Bauers from last year: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/goa...pads-sale.html

Here's an article about his current setup: http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/ask-...th-tim-thomas/

Generally speaking, a lot of it will be personal preference. What works for one NHL goalie might not work for others. Thomas' observations about the blocker is kinda interesting. I mildly regret recently buying an entire gear set from one brand instead of mixing and matching, as I really dislike a couple things about the blocker.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM
shoeshine boy

I know he switched to MLX skates this year: http://blog.mlxskates.com/2011/05/05...-the-mlx-team/

I have the player version and I love them. easily the best skates I've ever had.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Fleuryoutside29

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm really interested in that 11k stick. Its built very well from what I heard and it looks awesome. Being from Pittsburgh Ive heard a little about MLX and I am considering them for my next skate purchase. Shoeshine boy whats the best parts about the skates; I can never understand all the technical stuff on product websites.

Old
05-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
For goalie MLX skates, it's only the boot, not the cowlings.
Cowlings you can buy seperately at thegoaliecrease or goaliemonkey

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:33 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
Being from Pittsburgh Ive heard a little about MLX and I am considering them for my next skate purchase. Shoeshine boy whats the best parts about the skates; I can never understand all the technical stuff on product websites.
the above poster is correct, MLX is just selling the boot without cowlings.
the player skates are awesome! once you bake them (easily done at home) they fit your feet like a running shoe. normally it takes me forever to break in a new pair of skates but I was ready to make the MLX skates my primary pair after 2 periods of the first game I played in them. their customer service has been incredible. I had trouble using their sizing chart and ended up with skates that were too small. they overnighted the next size up for no charge and I was good to go.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Pitt9050
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
the player skates are awesome! once you bake them (easily done at home) they fit your feet like a running shoe. normally it takes me forever to break in a new pair of skates but I was ready to make the MLX skates my primary pair after 2 periods of the first game I played in them. their customer service has been incredible. I had trouble using their sizing chart and ended up with skates that were too small. they overnighted the next size up for no charge and I was good to go.
Hey I was actually thinking about them too how exactly does the baking work? And how is the protection? they rant and rave on the website about increased protection but is it that much better than regular skates

Pitt9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Fleuryoutside29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post

Thanks, for the feedback. After checking out their website a little more indepth I Was suprised to find out they were cheaper than I thought. I thought they were around $800 , but the goalie boots are retailing for $550. Hopefully I get them for my birthday!

Old
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt9050 View Post
Hey I was actually thinking about them too how exactly does the baking work? And how is the protection? they rant and rave on the website about increased protection but is it that much better than regular skates
for the baking it's really, really simple. in your home oven you pre-heat it to 200 degrees F. place the skates on the middle rack for 8 minutes. when time is up flip the skates over and bake them for another 8 minutes. take them out and lace them up while sitting in a chair or on the couch with your feet on the floor slightly forward. now sit there until they cool down.
MLX makes videos to show you how easy it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaa3...embedded#at=12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyexp...layer_embedded

as for protection, I took my first shot off of the boot in a scrimmage last night and didn't feel it at all. I'd say the protection is incredible!

Old
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Pitt9050
Rookie User

Wow that sounds great thanks for the help. I love to hear that about the protection. I remember whenever Malkin took this slap shot to the ankle but i never knew it was saved by MLX skates. I was checking out the protection section and bam there is the article Check it out http://www.mlxskates.com/protection.html

Pitt9050 is offline   Reply With Quote