HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
On Jurco, I was a REALLY big fan of his last year. This year, I had problems with his consistency and the type of year that a talented player like he is believed solely his talent was enough...but I've seen performances like he's showing right now. And frankly, this Mem Cup showing will be enough to put him in the 1st round. Great presence all over the place and even when he's not scoring.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
On Jurco, I was a REALLY big fan of his last year. This year, I had problems with his consistency and the type of year that a talented player like he is believed solely his talent was enough...but I've seen performances like he's showing right now. And frankly, this Mem Cup showing will be enough to put him in the 1st round. Great presence all over the place and even when he's not scoring.
My biggest concern with him is that despite all the highlight reel goals and flashy plays, he was under 1 PPGM as an 18 year old both regular season(60 GP 31-25-56) and playoffs(19 GP 6-12-18).

I think at our pick he is pretty risky because there are probably guys with as much overall upside(maybe not as much pure skill but more well rounded) with a lot less risk like McNeill, Scheifle, Rattie, Beaulieu and Siemens.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
One guy I'd love to draft is Brett Ritchie. Unfortunately, we won't be able to get him unless we find a way to grab a 2nd round pick. He'll probably go early in the 2nd too.

6'3 power forward who's really strong along the boards and really came along in the 2nd half of the season at a point per game clip (started the season slowly and I think he had mononucleosis). I think he'll have a monster season with Sarnia next season.
Good call on Ritchie, sounds like a potential steal. Skates well for his size and soft hands. looked good at the U-18.

Some big wingers with skill likely to be available late in the 1st: Jaskin, Ritchie, Jurco, not to mention the biggest of them all, so big they call him Biggs.

If Grimaldi is taken, and maybe if he's not, a trade down or two to get a pair of big wingers and a 2nd would be in order.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
ScopeHockey

I would love to have an elite Quebecer on the Habs. The thought of either Huberdeau or Couturier being a Hab intrigues me. What do you guys think it would cost to move up to say the 5th or 6th spot, which would likely guarantee getting either one of them?

I would imagine Subban or Pacioretty would have to be part of the discussion, but I wonder if we have any other assets desirable enough to do something like:

Habs first pick 2011
Habs first pick 2012
A prospect

5th overall 2011

Old
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I would love to have an elite Quebecer on the Habs. The thought of either Huberdeau or Couturier being a Hab intrigues me. What do you guys think it would cost to move up to say the 5th or 6th spot, which would likely guarantee getting either one of them?

I would imagine Subban or Pacioretty would have to be part of the discussion, but I wonder if we have any other assets desirable enough to do something like:

Habs first pick 2011
Habs first pick 2012
A prospect

5th overall 2011
Both could be gone by #5...can't see Huberdeau slipping that far with the tournament he is having, Couturier's size will get him drafted #2-3 IMHO even if he's slipped a bit.

...and Couturier plays in quebec but he isn't a Quebecer...

Old
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Both could be gone by #5...can't see Huberdeau slipping that far with the tournament he is having, Couturier's size will get him drafted #2-3 IMHO even if he's slipped a bit.

...and Couturier plays in quebec but he isn't a Quebecer...
Oh come on, he was raised as a quebeccer... He probably is eating a poutine by the time we speak

His father doesn't like us to call him a Frenchy but he is what he is. He's a quebeccer as much as Benny the Pouh(even though he's from Alfred, ON) is or Maurice Richard. You know what he ment, a french canadian.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Oh come on, he was raised as a quebeccer... He probably is eating a poutine by the time we speak

His father doesn't like us to call him a Frenchy but he is what he is. He's a quebeccer as much as Benny the Pouh(even though he's from Alfred, ON) is or Maurice Richard. You know what he ment, a french canadian.
Couterier doesn't like being called a Quebecer because 1. He's a product of New Brunswick and they should get the credit and 2. He thinks the Quebec minor hockey establishment are a pack of ******. Quebecer =/ French Canadian and French Canadian =/ Quebecer. They are distinct, if overlapping catagories.

And as I've said before, ever year some guys on every board that doesn't have a high pick think it would be brilliant idea to trade for one, not realizing that its really not an option in the modern NHL.

Old
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Kyosuke

Jurco has been amazing as of late, but it's true his inconsistency plagues him... Though I would have nothing against taking risk on 1st rounders that can be a hit or miss. All I want from this draft is a pure goal scorer, someone who can score at will and has that "clutch" element to his game (ala Skinner/Eberle). The only player that comes to mind who possess that is Ryan Strome, but we are no where near the right spot to drafting that kid...

Old
05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Good call on Ritchie, sounds like a potential steal. Skates well for his size and soft hands. looked good at the U-18.

Some big wingers with skill likely to be available late in the 1st: Jaskin, Ritchie, Jurco, not to mention the biggest of them all, so big they call him Biggs.

If Grimaldi is taken, and maybe if he's not, a trade down or two to get a pair of big wingers and a 2nd would be in order.
And if Ritchie is gone, go for Adam Lowry, but similar player IMO.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

Habs first pick 2011
Habs first pick 2012
A prospect

5th overall 2011
I kinda agree with that. Given he fact that we always draft in the middle of the pack and can't draft anything decent in the first round, I'd go as far as giving 3 first round picks in order to grab an "almost sure-fire" first forward. If he has the potential to be an impact player, I'm willing to go even further... We have trouble finding those guys and imo, they're the kind of players that makes the difference between contenders and above-average teams.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:13 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I kinda agree with that. Given he fact that we always draft in the middle of the pack and can't draft anything decent in the first round, I'd go as far as giving 3 first round picks in order to grab an "almost sure-fire" first forward. If he has the potential to be an impact player, I'm willing to go even further... We have trouble finding those guys and imo, they're the kind of players that makes the difference between contenders and above-average teams.
If Gauthier was to trade three 1st round picks I'd hope it would be for next years draft where any pick from 1-10 will get us a franchise type of player.That or sign Shea Weber to an offer sheet that would cost the same thing.

Old
05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I don't believe the Habs will dot it and I don't think they have what it takes to get it done even if they tried.

But I fantasize about Huberdeau too. Huberdeau-Desharnais could be our Lecavalier-St-Louis...

Old
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I don't believe the Habs will dot it and I don't think they have what it takes to get it done even if they tried.

But I fantasize about Huberdeau too. Huberdeau-Desharnais could be our Lecavalier-St-Louis...
Pretty sure you forgot the

Old
05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
S Bah

Pretty much mortgaging the future making a trade like that,if the player was Mario Lemieux kind of player.Don't forget Gauthier has had one 1st round pick at 27th and had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get Tinordi before Vancouver's Gillis picked him.Pierre has shown his decisiveness in making moves that improve his team and never shows his hand or bluffs.When the draft comes if there is a player he wants I'm sure the moves necessary will be taken without jeopardizing the ultimate goal.(Stanley Cup 2011-12)

Old
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Pretty much mortgaging the future making a trade like that,if the player was Mario Lemieux kind of player.Don't forget Gauthier has had one 1st round pick at 27th and had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get Tinordi before Vancouver's Gillis picked him.Pierre has shown his decisiveness in making moves that improve his team and never shows his hand or bluffs.When the draft comes if there is a player he wants I'm sure the moves necessary will be taken without jeopardizing the ultimate goal.(Stanley Cup 2011-12)
Agree with you, he will listen to his scouts and do whatever he can to get the prospects he want... I'm not afraid of Gauthier pro activity, I'm just a bit worried about Timmins's first rounders, but we'll see in time, especially with the scouting department revamping...

Old
05-26-2011, 12:41 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Couterier doesn't like being called a Quebecer because 1. He's a product of New Brunswick and they should get the credit and 2. He thinks the Quebec minor hockey establishment are a pack of ******. Quebecer =/ French Canadian and French Canadian =/ Quebecer. They are distinct, if overlapping catagories.

And as I've said before, ever year some guys on every board that doesn't have a high pick think it would be brilliant idea to trade for one, not realizing that its really not an option in the modern NHL.
So what dude? He is a French Canadian and it might be your opinion that the Québécois are way different but I disagree.. Also, I know the whole story don't worry.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:49 AM
ccgg

Quote:

Habs first pick 2011
Habs first pick 2012
A prospect

5th overall 2011
Just wait.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=129714

There is Charles Hudon for the 2012 draft. He is a machine offensively but he will probably not be in the top-15 because he is a small foward. He is on my hope-list for the next draft with the d-man Slater Koekkoek.

With the 4th or 5th round pick, we can select this year Jean-Gabriel Pageau (I think he is from Ontario). He has a solid potential but he is also small.

Closed Thread