HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers to Winnipeg: done deal

Old
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
how could anyone not want a team back in Winnipeg?
Vegas? you must be ******** me
Great day for my fair city

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Les vidangeurs de Winnipeg?
Thrashers are birds... notice the H between the T and the R.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I think this probably a good thing for the NHL to add another team in a hockey-crazy market, and I'm happy to see Canada gaining a team rather than losing one, but I'm definitely not going to celebrate this. One of the worst days of my life was when it finally hit home that the Expos were leaving and I empathize with the fans in Atlanta.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think this probably a good thing for the NHL to add another team in a hockey-crazy market, and I'm happy to see Canada gaining a team rather than losing one, but I'm definitely not going to celebrate this. One of the worst days of my life was when it finally hit home that the Expos were leaving and I empathize with the fans in Atlanta.
This is how I feel.

Sure they might not pack the building, but for the ones that are fans, I feel awful for them.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
ok but the mts center is max 16000 no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
even if it is 10,000 -- they'd still make more than ATL

Winnipeg will easily break even at 15-16,000 seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
I've heard that MTS center can be renovated to accommodate more people. It's probably what they will do.
I've read in the JDM about a month ago that they already had plans to renovate and add around 2500 seats.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
FF de Mars

I'm celebrating. Great news. Canada deserves more NHL teams. The ambiance will be crazy. And they will have a good team. Hockey is the number one sport in Canada. Not a subsitude for the NFL...

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

I've always loved the name Thrashers (Read: the music genre).

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I've read last week that the league is rumored to keep Winnipeg in the South East next season.

If this ever becomes fact, this would mean the league is leaning towards moving Pheonix to Quebec next year. Think about it, one team one year going west to east, and then the following the reverse happens, so whatever they do in the first year to accomodate the first moving, they would need to redo part of that the following year, like Columbus or Nashville going East this year, but having to move them back to West once Pheonix goes to Quebec.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
JuJu Mobb

Quote:
I've read last week that the league is rumored to keep Winnipeg in the South East next season.

If this ever becomes fact, this would mean the league is leaning towards moving Pheonix to Quebec next year. Think about it, one team one year going west to east, and then the following the reverse happens, so whatever they do in the first year to accomodate the first moving, they would need to redo part of that the following year, like Columbus or Nashville going East this year, but having to move them back to West once Pheonix goes to Quebec.
Québec is still struggling to get their arena.

Forget about next year, cousin.

More like in 3-4 years.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Québec is still struggling to get their arena.

Forget about next year, cousin.

More like in 3-4 years.
Why would the league wait one year? For the schedules? I don't think so.

If ever the league decides to wait a year before moving Winnipeg from the eastern conference to the western conference, you can bet they are doing that because they are expecting to move the Yotes next year, and quite probably to Quebec. Le Colisée will suffice in the meantime, and the league will lose less money. As to the situation for the new arena, these things either tend to be resolved or stop the whole thing. The conclusion of which is not known for the moment and for all we know, could be resolved in the next few months. Your conclusion is premature.

I don't even care about the Nordiques coming back. It has its pros and its cons. Nice rivalry, another Canadian team, a more solid base for the league, but at the same time, takes away an unpredictable amount of viewers and fans, hence revenues, from the Habs.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

I know that, but the original thread name was Trashers to Winnipeg : done deal

Oh and the thing brings back painful memories about a precious someone

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
googlymoogly

Winnipeg should go with a new name

The Winnipeg Wallabies

What do you think

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I know that, but the original thread name was Trashers to Winnipeg : done deal

Oh and the thing brings back painful memories about a precious someone
oh well, my bad, sorry then.

She's still around though, don't say it too loud.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Winnipeg should go with a new name

The Winnipeg Wallabies

What do you think
Not sure if serious but it would be faaar too easy to make fun of them by replacing the ''l'' with a ''n''.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
MikeyPeenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Yawn, I hated the Jets as much as I did the Thrashers. I wish Vegas had a team, because I actually enjoy going to that city, unlike Winnipeg.

NHL isn't going forwards with this, its a lateral move.
Can I have a toke of what you are smoking??? must be some crazy stuff

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Where did I lose you? Nothing about Winnipeg getting a team back is exciting, I could care less.
You could care less? or you couldn't??? See, you don't even know what you're saying.

I don't give a crap if Winnipeg comes back either. For me, it changes absolutely nothing other than the curiosity of seeing a new hockey jersey.
But calling it a lateral move is utterly retarded.

Quote:
Aww, you don't like what I wrote, and now I'm 'ignorant' , how cute. Losing a team in the US, and putting it in Winnipeg, does nothing to grow the game to the bigger US markets, like it or not. The failure of one team, moving to another market, is a lateral move.

Winnipeg should have gotten an expansion team, not a relocation.
So, replacing one team that makes no money and actually pretty much goes bankrupt for another that will at least break even (which means about 30M more for the league) is a lateral move to you??? Geez, don't go into business..

Expanding in the States is one thing. Expanding in non-hockey markets like ATL, FLA or PHX is another. There's a reason why most of these places can't fill up their arenas. But hey, I'm sure you think that doesn't matter, after all, money grows on trees in the States!

Quote:

I'd be incredibly surprised if Winnipeg plays in the SE next year. That's far away. But then again, Detroit plays in the West..
I don't think Qc is coming in the NHL 2years from now. They need a new stadium and that would require more than a year to build. Bettman seemed pretty clear that theres no way it'll happen with the Colise..
I think Winnipeg and Columbus/Detroit are likely to swap conferences. We'll see I guess.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You could care less? or you couldn't??? See, you don't even know what you're saying.

I don't give a crap if Winnipeg comes back either. For me, it changes absolutely nothing other than the curiosity of seeing a new hockey jersey.
But calling it a lateral move is utterly retarded.
No, you have no idea, but keep on pretending Winnipeg is a great move. You only want a new hockey jersey, but I'm the retarded one? Priceless.

Quote:
So, replacing one team that makes no money and actually pretty much goes bankrupt for another that will at least break even (which means about 30M more for the league) is a lateral move to you??? Geez, don't go into business..
lol, replacing a team that loses money, for one that could break even = a great business move in your mind? Thanks for the business tip... the irony here is unbelievable.

Quote:
Expanding in the States is one thing. Expanding in non-hockey markets like ATL, FLA or PHX is another. There's a reason why most of these places can't fill up their arenas. But hey, I'm sure you think that doesn't matter, after all, money grows on trees in the States!
If the Panthers would ice a team, spend some money, they would be fine as well. I don't agree they need two teams, but they have made it this long, plus they have a 5% corporate tax rate, and no ndividual income tax, thats a big difference in attracting business, and players.

I noticed you left Nashville off the list, because you probably thought hockey would never work there. What about California? Isn't that just as ridiculous in your mind? Its non-traditional in every sense of the term.

If you feel Winnipeg is a draw, whether it be for players, or TV ratings.. you are wrong. I'm not sure a small market team is the right answer, long term, for the NHL..

Short term the league makes a ton of money, thats what matters most to them.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:00 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

can it really be? bettman would probably never verbally concede defeat in some recent expansions, but he may just be speaking with actions. he's putting teams back in canada gradually. he won't say anything. and then he will never speak of this sunbelt issue again. "like it never happened" kind of plans.

Last edited by HarlemsFinest: 05-26-2011 at 01:08 AM.
HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
No, you have no idea, but keep on pretending Winnipeg is a great move. You only want a new hockey jersey, but I'm the retarded one? Priceless.

lol, replacing a team that loses money, for one that could break even = a great business move in your mind? Thanks for the business tip... the irony here is unbelievable.

If the Panthers would ice a team, spend some money, they would be fine as well. I don't agree they need two teams, but they have made it this long, plus they have a 5% corporate tax rate, and no ndividual income tax, thats a big difference in attracting business, and players.

I noticed you left Nashville off the list, because you probably thought hockey would never work there. What about California? Isn't that just as ridiculous in your mind? Its non-traditional in every sense of the term.

If you feel Winnipeg is a draw, whether it be for players, or TV ratings.. you are wrong. I'm not sure a small market team is the right answer, long term, for the NHL..

Short term the league makes a ton of money, thats what matters most to them.
First, it's an extra Canadian team which can't hurt because hockey is a Canadian sport; second, as the population of Manitoba Winnipeg increases the support will increase - you cannot say the same for an American team in a southern climate where there is no ice hockey.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-26-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
how could anyone not want a team back in Winnipeg?
Vegas? you must be ******** me
Great day for my fair city
This is my funny response to people that reject winnipeg as a nhl team. Hurray that Winnipeg has a team :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJ7K...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0GMv_UMc9Y

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-26-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

Got to love Kriss telling a millionaire majority stock owner not to get into business . Habs, you might've been a mediocre personnal trainer if you didn't!

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I don't feel sorry for Atlanta either, but I also don't agree with Glendale ponying up money that should be used for public services to buy another year of a failed hockey franchise.
Here is a problem with your thinking though

The City of Glendale owns the building. Without the Coyotes 41 dates that is lost $ in parking , concessions , etc

That is why Glendale is putting up 25 mil because without out the Coyotes they will lose alot more money having a stadium that is mostly empty (Remember there is a competing stadium that Suns play in in downtown Pho ,, That tends to get the big concerts , etc because of its location to higher population centers

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:59 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
when the money lost represent MILLIONS... yes it is.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
when the money lost represent MILLIONS... yes it is.
Don't bother trying to argue about finance and money with this one.... I know for one that he's a fortunate son.

Old
05-26-2011, 05:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Woah there. Hold on a second : its better to lose millions than not?

Are you Donald Trump or something? Convince people to give you millions so you can waste them in a glorious fashion then claim its great business?

Breaking even isn't glorious but when its safe and you can take a few million profits out of it (because its a multi million business, even a slight profit can be huge) then its not that bad.