HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Joonas Nättinen to a 3 year contract

Old
05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Yeah, Similä before the June 1st deadline and Patrick Johnson before the August 15th deadline.
Neither will be signed. However, we did sign Loic Lacasse once, so Simila has an outside shot.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Habsfan18

I liked what I saw from him at the 2009 WJC. This year, not so much, but he was just returning from injury, so.

And I've said this before, but he reminds me of a mixture of Kyle Chipchura (pre-injury) and Radek Bonk (Habs years).

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I liked what I saw from him at the 2009 WJC. This year, not so much, but he was just returning from injury, so.

And I've said this before, but he reminds me of a mixture of Kyle Chipchura (pre-injury) and Radek Bonk (Habs years).
too slow for the NHL- thats why his O dissapared in better leagues

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Not worth all these posts. But can he beat up Krejci?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:23 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

So... how many contract spots the org has now?

Too early to worry about it?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Protest the Hero

I remember him dominating the faceoff circle in the world juniors last time he was there and he was very physical too.

Like everyone else I hope he increases his foot speed, a lot.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Komarov47

Ok good signing, but he almost got no score in two season in SM Liiga, he sawn't very what we can call a "blast" in U20. So calm down people ! Let's see what he can do in Hamilton.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Any word on whether he's actually coming over next year or is it like Enqqvist were he stayed another year and then made the jump to North America.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
His play didn't warrant much more ice time. If you're good, you get to play, no matter how old you are (e.g. Granlund, Pulkkinen, Vatanen).
You just named three of the best drafted Finnish prospects not currently in the NHL, so let's scale it back a bit. No one is suggesting Nattinen is on a level anywhere close to those guys, now or in the future.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Any word on whether he's actually coming over next year or is it like Enqqvist were he stayed another year and then made the jump to North America.
He wasn't under contract in Finland for 2011-12 AFAIK.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The Habs usually say like in Engqvist's case he signed and played in Sweden for a year,so I assume he will play this year in Hamilton.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

natinen'a worry about.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Brun0

Well my knowledge about Nättinen:

Pretty big centerman. Nice pair of hands, pretty good at prtecting the puck. Skating can be improved, but its a common thing for juniors.

He's stats dont look impressive but he hasnt got a real chance in Sm-league yet. He was pretty good at WJC as a second-line-center. He was one of the main pieces 2 year ago at winning the junior-A championship and was very promising. He hasnt had the kind of break through yet. But really who knows. He kind of has the tools to be something but right now bottom-6 looks more likely, but definetly has offensive skills.

Brun0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
I recognize the name, but have never seen him play. Can anyone give me a basic idea on what type of player he is?
I'd say if you know how Engqvist plays, he's basically him with less offense and speed.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
too slow for the NHL- thats why his O dissapared in better leagues
Naatinen wasn't drafted for offence his specialty is as a defensive forward,with the ability to step into important faceoffs.68% faceoff player is special and the ability to incite the opposition into stupid penalties can't be measured.This is a player picked for the intangibles he produces a talent that Max Lapierre had in spades,except the faceoff advantage.A really good player for playoff hockey.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Of the 2009 draftees, there's still Mac Bennett, Dustin Walsh, Mike Cichy, and Petteri Simila.

Do any of these guys need to be signed before the deadline? Will any of these guys be signed?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:08 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Of the 2009 draftees, there's still Mac Bennett, Dustin Walsh, Mike Cichy, and Petteri Simila.

Do any of these guys need to be signed before the deadline? Will any of these guys be signed?
Mac Bennett will be a force on defence,great skater,intelligent player.Mike Cichy has big offensive potential and should get to use it at Western Michigan under his old coach.Walsh and Simila I don't know about them so much.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:

Bennett, Walsh and Cichy are NCAA players which means they can play four complete NCAA seasons before they need to be signed to a contract. Bennett will take at least one more year at Michigan and likely two before making the pro jump. Walsh could play four seasons and Cichy is going to have to sit out the 11-12 season due to NCAA rules about transferring schools and will likely take at least two more years after this one. Simila is the only one that has to be signed and not a lot of indications that he will be.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The first 3 are in college so at this point there is no deadline. They would have until August 15th of the year they finish school. Simila has to be signed by Wednesday or we lose his rights.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Judging from the post in this thread...I guess not many of you believe young players can improve with time, coaching, training, etc lol

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Judging from the post in this thread...I guess not many of you believe young players can improve with time, coaching, training, etc lol
Well to be fair, when was the last time a player who wasn't exactly excelling in his junior years improve from Habs pro coaching/training/etc? I think maybe D'Agostini but for the most part our developed players have been excellent junior age players before hitting pro.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Mac Bennett will be a force on defence,great skater,intelligent player.Mike Cichy has big offensive potential and should get to use it at Western Michigan under his old coach.Walsh and Simila I don't know about them so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Bennett, Walsh and Cichy are NCAA players which means they can play four complete NCAA seasons before they need to be signed to a contract. Bennett will take at least one more year at Michigan and likely two before making the pro jump. Walsh could play four seasons and Cichy is going to have to sit out the 11-12 season due to NCAA rules about transferring schools and will likely take at least two more years after this one. Simila is the only one that has to be signed and not a lot of indications that he will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The first 3 are in college so at this point there is no deadline. They would have until August 15th of the year they finish school. Simila has to be signed by Wednesday or we lose his rights.
Thanks gang

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
So... how many contract spots the org has now?
28 players under contract as of today. 2 goalies, 7 defensemen and 19 forwards. The Habs have 11 UFA's and 15 RFA's

Quote:

Here's the deadline to sign them,

Simila-June 1st 2011
Bennett- August 15th, 2014
Walsh- August 15th, 2013
Cichy- August 15th, 2014

I doubt Simila gets signed, Bennett and Walsh get signed for sure and Cichy we'll see how it goes for him, hasn't done very well in the NCAA to date.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well to be fair, when was the last time a player who wasn't exactly excelling in his junior years improve from Habs pro coaching/training/etc? I think maybe D'Agostini but for the most part our developed players have been excellent junior age players before hitting pro.
Well I think it's safe to assume that he'll never be a big time scorer...but maybe he can still improve as a checking line center. He's certainly got the frame for it and judging from the few games I saw, he's responsible in his own zone, strong on faceoffs and can chip in offensively.

if he can keep rounding out his game, we could have a very good checking center...

Not every player drafted is drafted with the intention or hope that they're gonna be Hall of Famers or scoring line/top 6 type of players. You need all types of players to have a successful team.

Furthermore, it didn't seem like he had a very big role offensively on his SM-liga team this year...so expecting him to put up big numbers maybe be too much to ask. We'll get a better idea of his ceiling in the years to come.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You just named three of the best drafted Finnish prospects not currently in the NHL, so let's scale it back a bit. No one is suggesting Nattinen is on a level anywhere close to those guys, now or in the future.
Was going to reply with the same thing. Glad I read ahead first. Not just 3 of the best, possibly THE 3 best Finnish prospects outside of the NHL. Like I started to say earlier, in any given year in the SM-Liiga, there are anywhere from 10 to 20 U19 prospects who play regularly, but only 1 or 2 that get enough responsibility/ice time to get any significant amount of points. And yet, more than 1 or 2 Finnish players seem to make the NHL every year. "Weird".

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote