HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to dry/store my gear without any outdoor space?

Old
05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
jeffreyaa

vCash: 500
How to dry/store my gear without any outdoor space?

Moving to a new apartment where I do not have a patio or balcony, and the bathrooms do not have windows that open to the outside. Shared secure parking garage but not a whole lot of room down there for my "hockey gear tree". I'm trying to figure out what to do with my gear at the new place [have been drying it on my balcony at my current place] and would love any suggestions.

I need to check out the garage area a little further but I'm thinking it's possible I could mount some kind of rack just above my car, although not exactly sure how I'd do that. I also know that there are some expensive bags that you leave your gear in, plug it in, and a fan goes through the bag and dries the stuff; not sure how well they work, though, and not wanting to spend a fortune if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, HF community!

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:10 PM
dbargaehr

I used to have a similar problem...I only had a small patio in a neighborhood where I didn't trust passersby to not snag my gear! If you have a bathroom fan and your roommates (or lady) can tolerate it, dry them out in the bathroom.

I would hang most of it on the shower rod, then turn on the overhead fan. It would create enough air movement to dry them out overnight. With gloves, it might even be advisable to blow dry the inside to give them a little longer life before glove-funk takes up permanent residence.

I would also Lysol all the gear every few games before hanging it, or my wife would have my head for "making the house smell like your hockey bag".

That's dependent on whoever you're living with being tolerant of the situation, though...

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:16 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbargaehr View Post
I used to have a similar problem...I only had a small patio in a neighborhood where I didn't trust passersby to not snag my gear! If you have a bathroom fan and your roommates (or lady) can tolerate it, dry them out in the bathroom.

I would hang most of it on the shower rod, then turn on the overhead fan. It would create enough air movement to dry them out overnight. With gloves, it might even be advisable to blow dry the inside to give them a little longer life before glove-funk takes up permanent residence.

I would also Lysol all the gear every few games before hanging it, or my wife would have my head for "making the house smell like your hockey bag".

That's dependent on whoever you're living with being tolerant of the situation, though...
Thanks, dbargaehr. Yeah, the girlfriend won't take too kindly to hockey gear odor, I'm sure. I've thought about using the fan in the second bathroom [thankfully there's 2 full banos] but wasn't sure how well it would dry, and it might be annoying to leave the fan on for two straight days! Especially if we have guests over...

I've heard of other guys using Febreeze, but haven't heard of Lysol; I wonder if either would irritate one's skin b/c of the chemicals?

Appreciate your advice.

Old
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
TheOtter

We hang our stuff up in the basement with a dehumidifier blowing in the general direction. Works great, if you can swing that. Not sure about putting a dehumidifier in a bathroom, though - that could get cramped.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:50 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtter View Post
We hang our stuff up in the basement with a dehumidifier blowing in the general direction. Works great, if you can swing that. Not sure about putting a dehumidifier in a bathroom, though - that could get cramped.
Hmm, no basement, but thanks. Sounds like a great idea, though.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
Thanks, dbargaehr. Yeah, the girlfriend won't take too kindly to hockey gear odor, I'm sure. I've thought about using the fan in the second bathroom [thankfully there's 2 full banos] but wasn't sure how well it would dry, and it might be annoying to leave the fan on for two straight days! Especially if we have guests over...

I've heard of other guys using Febreeze, but haven't heard of Lysol; I wonder if either would irritate one's skin b/c of the chemicals?

Appreciate your advice.
Febreze is decent, but having to replace those bottles with some frequency can get expensive. As a few others on this board have mentioned before, straight up rubbing alcohol works just as well, if not better because of the higher alcohol content, so it's damn near guaranteed to be killing all those odor-causing bacteria.

I took one of my old Febreze bottles, since it has the spray nozzle already, and I just fill it up with rubbing alcohol whenever it gets near empty. About $1 a pop, and I can get about 4 months of no-stink from one bottle. I usually lightly mist enough to cover all the sweaty surfaces - for example one spray into the gloves. I don't have any nasty smells, and my gear is really old.

Finding space to air dry, on the other hand, is an entirely different story...

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
dbargaehr

Hi Jeffrey,

Not that I noticed. Lysol is an antibacterial/deodorizer spray...I want to say it's got an alcohol base of some kind, which means it will evaporate quickly (which I can't say about Febreze)....I've used it pretty regularly and never noticed any "chemical" irritation.

I've also heard good things about vodka doing an excellent job of deodorizing gear out of a spray bottle (and also evaporating quickly), but I'm not sure if you would be going "One for me, one for the glove. One for me, one for the shinguard..."

Another possibility is something my mom used to do to my gear bag when I was a kid. She bought a bunch of cheap coffee beans and put them in a tube sock, tied it off at the end and threw it in my bag. Sure, I smelled like Starbucks at the rink, but it made our garage more tolerable at home! Maybe the scent of coffee will placate your lady-friend.

If you're worried about leaving the fan on, I usually only left mine on for one night...you could set up a stronger fan (or a dehumidifier would be even better, as TheOtter pointed out), and it would dry much quicker with more airflow.

the last alternative would be to put in the dryer on the "delicate" setting. I occasionally wash ALL my gear (barring skates and stick) on a delicate cycle, using a nicely-scented shampoo instead of detergent, and then either hang dry it or use the delicates setting of the dryer. The dryer definitely might take life off of some of your gear if it's used regularly, though...

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Skraut

The wife and I have a deal. As long as I LET HER was my gear once a week, it can stay inside in our basement.

She's willing to open the bag and wash the gear so I let her (yeah I know I'm lucky)

We have a front loaded washer and just wash them on gentle with a slow spin cycle that is repeated again before it is over, then just hang them to dry. Usually takes 2 loads but then again, I'm a big dude with big gear. In the nearly 2 years I've been doing this the only damage has been a slight tear in the padding at the top of one shinguard where it got stuck in the door when she turned it on.

As long as I'm not playing the next day, the gear is always ready to go, and doesn't stink up the house.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:22 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The wife and I have a deal. As long as I LET HER was my gear once a week, it can stay inside in our basement.

She's willing to open the bag and wash the gear so I let her (yeah I know I'm lucky)

We have a front loaded washer and just wash them on gentle with a slow spin cycle that is repeated again before it is over, then just hang them to dry. Usually takes 2 loads but then again, I'm a big dude with big gear. In the nearly 2 years I've been doing this the only damage has been a slight tear in the padding at the top of one shinguard where it got stuck in the door when she turned it on.

As long as I'm not playing the next day, the gear is always ready to go, and doesn't stink up the house.
Hmm, something to consider. Will have to see if my gear all fits in the washer. Thanks.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Pog Form

Take your gear out, spray it with a rubbing alcohol/water mix (about 25/75) and hang it up somewhere. If possible, use a dehumidifier to absorb the moisture. A fan will help speed up the drying process as well.

Don't use anything with perfumes (i.e. febreze) as it will just mask the smell and don't use heat as it will lock the smell in.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I have this rack tucked in my closet now. It has 2 of those large fans you see. On high it dries a full set of soaking gear in maybe 2 or 3 hours tops. These suckers move a LOT of air. Hockey is always late at night here so I'd set it for 4 hours as I went to bed and when I wake up the next morning it's all bone dry. I went about 6 months without ANY smell on my gear with this rack before I forgot to dry it out for a few weeks in a row. Time to wash it all again.

Fans: Lasko 3540
Remoteless version for $10 less: Lasko 3520

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
santiclaws

Second bathroom, overhead fan, plus regular oscillating fan. Everything dries completely in about six hours at most. It helps that you're in LA, there is little humidity. After you take your stuff out of the bathroom, leave the door open and the stink goes away in twenty minutes.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote