Notices

Has Wanvig lost his job?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 08:45 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Has Wanvig lost his job?

Before this year, the Wild were lacking a solid, big PF type of player that hammers his way into the front of the goal. Wanvig was suppose to be this player but injuries and lack of good, solid play (including some bad conditioning in long games) kept him in the minors a bit longer then he should've.

With the emergence of Brandner, Burns, and Foy, do you think Wanvig has lost his job?

Brandner isn't a real big player to push Wanvig from his job but he is sort of similiar as he uses his frame and is a bit quicker than Wanvig.

Burns is the one that I think Wanvig should be a little nervous about. Burns is developing quicker then we expected and the fact is he is being molded into a PF type. Sure he doesn't drop the gloves but we got other players that do. Burns is quicker, smarter, faster than Wanvig and he uses his body as well. He is also a bit younger and so far not as injury prone as Wanvig.

Foy is another one that uses his body to drag defensemen with him to bring on a penalty or to deflect heat away from other players. Wanvig should be a bit nervous about him too because he uses his frame, is quick, but doesn't drop the gloves.

With the emergence of Burns really, is Wanvig now trade bait?

Old
10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
ceber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
With the emergence of Burns really, is Wanvig now trade bait?
Is "maybe" an ok answer?

I think he could still have a spot. I guess I've never expected him to be a top six guy; more of a 3rd or 4th line, muck it up in the corners, get the slop in front of the net kind of guy. Burns, Foy, Brandner (to a lesser extent) seem more like top 6 guys for the Wild, so I don't necessarily see them pushing Wanvig out. But maybe. All IMO, of course.

Could we get much for him in a trade? Someone with a touch for scoring?

Old
10-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Dan-o

I've already addressed this issue to an extent on the Wild.com board, so I won't say the same thing here. But I wanted to address the question of trading him.

I don't see the point quite frankly, and I think it would be premature. He hasn't lit up the AHL, that's for sure. So we're not going to get the world for him. What's the harm in letting him stay down in Houston and get his game straightened out? It's not very likely that his progress will start going backwards. He'll be better next year than he is now. That's the norm.

And we really don't know what we have with Burns and Foy yet. They may turn out really good, but they also might become the second comings of Brad Isbister, teasing you year after year. If we don't have room for him down the line, move him, but there's no need to make some sort of preemptive strike before we find out whether his alleged "replacements" are the real deal.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:51 PM
MN_Gopher

Power forards and big physical d men are slow to devolop. Wanvig is OK, will be like Brandner when he is 28 too. Nothing special but solid.

Closed Thread