HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th liners the Rangers should now target

Old
05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
prophet? haha i'll take it

Biron was an excellent signing as a back up goaltender and not sure you can fault a team for having a 3rd string goalie that may not be up to snuff for a cup run

EC played 60 games where he bounced between a healthy scratch and 4th line minutes....with a sprinkle of 20min games in there

MZA was a rookie call up in desperate times

frolov was on the IR

wolski played only part of the season, was a means to dump rosi's salary and potentially bring in some O, and may/may not be in the teams future plans

gilroy was a 6th defensman that spent some time as a healthy scratch

Drury was hurt all season (and as a side note i dont think he's ever had his toughness and heart questioned...skill? yes, contract? absolultely, heart and desire? never)

my point is that you listed a bunch of players who had, to put it very lightly, limited effect on the outcome of last season and phrased it in a "you can win with guys like this" kind of manor...like they're some type of core

i wish that the collective performance of a bunch of guys who probablly combined to play the average minutes of 2 full time players was our biggest problem....but it aint

i understand you feel asaulted in this thread, but your just getting silly now...chad johnson haha
assaulted, that is funny...i am worked, it is slow and i am killing time...i don't take it as seriously as you guys...it is just sad that you know very little about what it takes to win in the NHL yet you and a few others post like you have this great insight.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Orr Nightmare

you guys want to counter my thoughts by throwing Chad Johnson at me...he is irrevlant but unfortunately he was part of our roster...so, what is more pathetic, that you and a few other guys use that as a counter agrument or that he was on our team.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
you guys want to counter my thoughts by throwing Chad Johnson at me...he is irrevlant but unfortunately he was part of our roster...so, what is more pathetic, that you and a few other guys use that as a counter agrument or that he was on our team.
How many teams have a legitimate third string goaltender?

I would argue that with Lundqvist and Biron we had the 2nd best goalie tandem last year, behind Thomas and Rask.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
How many teams have a legitimate third string goaltender?

I would argue that with Lundqvist and Biron we had the 2nd best goalie tandem last year, behind Thomas and Rask.
Guy, I don't give a **** about Chad Johnson...i just threw his name into the mix...he wont be with us anymore...

but it just shows what little goalie depth we have outside of Hank and Biron...a broken collar bone here and a tight hammy there and boom...you are looking at Cam Talbot...good look with that.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Guy, I don't give a **** about Chad Johnson...i just threw his name into the mix...he wont be with us anymore...

but it just shows what little goalie depth we have outside of Hank and Biron...a broken collar bone here and a tight hammy there and boom...you are looking at Cam Talbot...good look with that.
how many teams are set to win the cup if they lose there top 2 goalies?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:40 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
yes, but we also need Brad Richards @ 8 million a year for 7 years and maybe Jussi Joniken to get us over the top.
you'll find very few people here who agree with richards at 8 Mill over 7. It's a rallying cry for the anti-richards people in that thread though. It's pages of people like RangerBoy posting rational scenarios where he can fit in, while others say "OH YEAH?? what if he signs for a bajillion dollars for 32 years??! you want him then i bet right??!"

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
mullichicken25

the deal breaker on richards, as far as im concerned, is the extra ~1mil per year that could be better used upgrading our 3rd string goalie...we need a warrior back there

Old
05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
the deal breaker on richards, as far as im concerned, is the extra ~1mil per year that could be better used upgrading our 3rd string goalie...we need a warrior back there
I hear Cloutier is available.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
I hear Cloutier is available.
i dont know, if henrik, biron, johnson, and stajcer all get hurt im not sold that Cloutier has the talent to win us a cup

Old
05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
What on earth does Chad Johnson have to do with ANYTHING? He was a part of our team for like a month. And he never played. And the season before last, when he played, he looked good!

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
What on earth does Chad Johnson have to do with ANYTHING? He was a part of our team for like a month. And he never played. And the season before last, when he played, he looked good!
You must have missed it. Our 3rd string goalie needs to be capable of leading us to a cup. All the competitive teams have one.

Old
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Folks, keep it from getting personal or points will be handed out.

05-27-2011, 01:31 AM
gotmonte

We have Stacjer

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I thought we had enough 4th liners... We need more?!

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I thought we had enough 4th liners... We need more?!
That's what I'm saying.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
NYRangers16

I think we have more than enough 4th liners. Really, we should "target" 4th liners? And I say this respectfully, but we made this mistake with Boogard last year(RIP), overpaying for an 8 minute per game guy. Really, we should be paying the minimum for those guys...anything over that is a luxury considering that we need our cap to fill major holes on the team. Worst comes to worst, we call up a guy from the Whale.

What matters is the top 3 lines. When we have those figured out, then we can throw some extra cash at the 4th line.

Btw, I'm considering Boyle/Prust as 3rd liners, and not suggesting we let them go, just that we only have so many resources and therefore given the plentiful 4th line options, we should not target a 4th line guy unless they are cheap and not going to tie up our roster. Hell, Grachev last year could have roamed around for 8 minutes a night and potted some goals. And as much as I hate to say it, Avery pretty much did that most games. We got enough bottom line guys, we need the 1st line fixed so everyone else slides down into a role they fit into.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Do you think the Rangers could beat the Bruins, Tampa, San Jose or Vancouver in a 7 game serious?

They are not only better skilled they are also bigger, meanier and just outright nasty to play against.

So, you want to add Brad Richards, that's fine but unless you also add a Milan Lucic and Doug Murray type, Richards alone will get you to the same point we got to this year.
Detroit is not a mean, big, "nasty to play against team." Every year they're contending for the Cup.

The Rangers do go out there and initiate physical play. They did lead the league in hits. IDK if we have the "nastiest" team, but we definitely have guys who aren't afraid of taking the body, and they certainly will not get out worked.

If the Rangers were where Boston is right now, I can't see how they would be afraid of a "big, mean, and nasty Tampa team." I could see how they might be feeling intimidated by their offense which, is head n shoulders above ours.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Detroit is not a mean, big, "nasty to play against team." Every year they're contending for the Cup.

The Rangers do go out there and initiate physical play. They did lead the league in hits. IDK if we have the "nastiest" team, but we definitely have guys who aren't afraid of taking the body, and they certainly will not get out worked.

If the Rangers were where Boston is right now, I can't see how they would be afraid of a "big, mean, and nasty Tampa team." I could see how they might be feeling intimidated by their offense which, is head n shoulders above ours.
The Rangers aren't there and wont be there they way they are currently constructed...so, your point is irrelevant.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
The Rangers aren't there and wont be there they way they are currently constructed...so, your point is irrelevant.
You do realize fighting isn't popular in the playoffs? Most coaches have a rule about not dropping them post season. I for once would like to see more skill on the 4th line instead of another goon being brought in.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
You must have missed it. Our 3rd string goalie needs to be capable of leading us to a cup. All the competitive teams have one.
The team needs a 3rd string goalie that will drop the gloves. That could put them over the top.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The thread was about needing a player or two that can handle the banging and occasional fight. The Rangers need so much more and we all agree a goon is not winning us the cup. The Rangers need legit 1-6 forwards with size and hopefully they can sign a legit number 1 center and a winger with upside. Stop breaking peoples chops because they like a fighter on the roster. The cup is not won with a goon there I even said it but they are fun and very well liked in the room. they open up ice for smaller players and guess what ? some of us like to see a good fight. Till Bourque , Thomas Kreider and others are ready we need people to fill out the roster why do they need to be small ?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:05 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Yea but the way they are currently constructed is relevant when you have a pipe line of young kids either on the team, or on their way.
Last season the Rangers had 4 rookies (Zuccarello, Stepan, McDonagh, Sauer) and a second year (Anisimov) player in the lineup.
The rest of the players are still young and many more potentially soon to be rookies will fight for spots in September.

How can you even make an overall assessment of the currently constructed team when their players entire careers are ahead of them and their games are still developing? I realize they're not ready to win the Cup yet and that the org. doesn't have Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos type players who can come into the NHL and make an immediate impact. It took the Sedin twins a rather long time to get to where they're at right now.

Are you saying you already realize how bad, and/or how poorly Anisimov, Grachev, Stepan, Kreider, Zuccarello, McDonagh, Sauer, Thomas, first round draft pick in 11', McIlrath, MDZ, Bourque, Hagelin, Horak (I'm listing a lot of players so hopefully my point is a little more lucid) and heck, even Dubinsky, Callahan, and Staal will play together 2, 3, or even 5 years from now?

The ultimate goal of the organization is to eventually ice a team that will be in contention for many consecutive season's so I'd actually be the first one to agree with you that the current construction of the team is "not good enough to get there (or I assume you mean not good enough to win a Stanly Cup)."

Besides, I highly doubt a single Rangers fan envisioned the team hoisting the Cup this year and/or next year so why people are concerned with the construction of a 4th line and adding a "heavy weight" is beyond me. Let's get a first line put together and worry about the 4th line last.

I'm still unsure as to how my op is irrelevant to the topic. Again, I'm emphasizing the need for more puck control, a better power play, team chemistry, and in general, offense. I'm not concerned with adding players (or simply ice skaters) who know how to fight and sit in the penalty box.

I'll certainly take a Lucic, Kane, Stewart, Chara, etc..., because they can help you in areas of the game conducive to winning. The "goons" can follow Brashear into the UFC.

With all of that said, why not go after Brad Richards? It means the team will be significantly better (as opposed to standing idle with 2 super stars, not getting any younger, lingering around, and hoping the kids will fully develop sooner than later) and one of the organization's younger center man will not have a chance to play that position for the Rangers.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Puckslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Your ideal Stanley cup contender has Boyle at first line lw , he had a good season but the chances he puts up the same numbers are slim and he doesn't not fit well with Richards and gaborik.let's not kid ourselves hes a bottom 6 guy he belongs with prust on the fourth line.
Right, and as well as Prust and Boyle have played, I'd like to see some talent from Hartford help them be even more productive. Not interested in another enforcer at this point. Boyle needs to carry some more water in that regard.

Puckslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

This thread is hilarious. And no, target 4th-liners for toughness isn't what we need. We need toughness for the 2nd&3rd line.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote