HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators: Franchise Analysis

Old
05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Nashville Predators: Franchise Analysis

I'm trying to get a feel for where the Preds stand as a franchise....when it comes to on-ice personnel, what are some needs? Where do they have a surplus? What's coming up in the system? How good is Nashville's organization at developing prospects?

I know it's a ton of questions, but I'm just curious.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:59 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Needs are at least one top 6 winger. Loaded with defensemen both at the NHL level and in the farm. Very good at drafting and developing.

Just looking through the current roster Weber, Suter, Franson, Blum, Geoffrion, Rinne, Spaling, O'Reilly, Smithson, Erat, Hornqvist, Tootoo, Klein and Lindback have all been developed by the Preds. I might be missing one or two but it's pretty amazing when well over half the team has been developed from within.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
19 of the 31 players to appear for the Preds this season were drafted and developed by the franchise. 23 of the 31 have played with our AHL affiliate in Milwaukee. The organizational mantra is, "The road to Nashville leads through Milwaukee".

A definite difference from the Atlanta-Chicago relationship you are familiar with. As a matter of fact, the Wolves are the archrivals of the Admirals too...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:52 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I'm pretty sure the Wolves were the arch rivals of Atlanta too!

Old
05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Just ask a fan of any Westen conference team. They all say that the Preds are a goalie and Dman factory.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Just ask a fan of any Westen conference team. They all say that the Preds are a goalie and Dman factory.
This. My actual super-seekrit motivation for getting the Jackets in the East is so we could actually trade with the Preds for some of those defensemen.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 03:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This. My actual super-seekrit motivation for getting the Jackets in the East is so we could actually trade with the Preds for some of those defensemen.
It would work just as well the other way around.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
It would work just as well the other way around.
Yeah, but we're better suited to the East than y'all are, cause we have forwards while you have a blueline.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Yeah, but we're better suited to the East than y'all are, cause we have forwards while you have a blueline.
Boston and Montreal say hello

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
dulzhok

Simple...

Need legit offensive players (2-3) to become contenders.

Everything else is good.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Contenders? "Become" contenders? We just lost to the future Cup winners 4 games to 2, all one goal games. We ARE Contenders. Would a couple of forwards help us win the Cup. Sure. Do we need them to be contenders? No. We've been contenders with $11mm worth of forwards off the ice (Sully, Dumont, Lombardi). We could go into next year with roughly the same team and be a legit Cup contender. As long as we have Peks, Weber/Suter, and our band of gritty forwards with having Fisher all year, we're a 100 point team.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Contenders? "Become" contenders? We just lost to the future Cup winners 4 games to 2, all one goal games. We ARE Contenders. Would a couple of forwards help us win the Cup. Sure. Do we need them to be contenders? No. We've been contenders with $11mm worth of forwards off the ice (Sully, Dumont, Lombardi). We could go into next year with roughly the same team and be a legit Cup contender. As long as we have Peks, Weber/Suter, and our band of gritty forwards with having Fisher all year, we're a 100 point team.
Maybe, coulda, possibly, kinda close...

We were overmatched by Vancouver for most the series. We need legit scoring to get the next level. Even vs the Ducks, no way we can expect this team to score 3-4 goals a game in the playoffs. Might happen again in 12 more more years...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think around here people use the term "contender" when they really mean "favorite". Any team that can make it into the play offs is technically a "contender", but anyone from the fifth spot up legitimately is contending for the Cup. Vancouver has a better offense and powerplay than we do, but we weren't horribly overmatched for most of the series. A lot of it was even with some periods going our way and some going theirs. The only areas in which we were clearly over-matched was offense, and I do agree we need to add at least one "creator" to our forward roster. Without at least one I will agree that we won't be favorites. Two would be nice, but three wouldn't be necessary. We have legitimate top six guys in SK, Erat, Hornqvist, Legwand, an argument could be made for Fisher, and hopefully Wilson steps into that role, but none of them are game changers. Beck, Watson, and Budish coming up look like they could be some good players, too, but further down the road.

In net we look good for a while. Rinne is 29, so he likely has at least four or five good seasons left in him. During that time we have Lindback and Dex waiting and continuing to improve. On defense we are set for years with Weber, Suter, Blum, Klein, Franson, Ellis, Josi, plus any vets we sign to add size and toughness.

We still need offense...

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We are a contender. We have an eerily similar team as the Anaheim Ducks in the early 2000s. With Suter/Weber/Rinne, we should be able to compete with any team in the league at any time. To push us over the edge, we lack a goal-scorer.

05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
masteropiewan

I have been following this message board for some time, and frankly, I think Poile needs to sign a power play coach before the ink is dry on Weber's contract. This team is highly competitive in every aspect, except the power play. With a good power play coach, I think you could take the existing team and win the cup. If Nashville could have converted just one more PP goal per game, Vancouver would be playing golf right now. If the path to Nashville goes through Milwaukee, it might be a wise investment to find a great PP coach for the Admirals and develop some of the future Predators into lethal PP experts so Nashville doesn't have to mortgage the future for a Parise or Richards.

masteropiewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We are a contender. We have an eerily similar team as the Anaheim Ducks in the early 2000s. With Suter/Weber/Rinne, we should be able to compete with any team in the league at any time. To push us over the edge, we lack a goal-scorer.
Goal-scorers. People always focus on goal-scorer like it is just one silver bullet. The problem is that if we only have one goal-scorer, the other team's D will wise up to him (especially in the playoffs).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Goal-scorers. People always focus on goal-scorer like it is just one silver bullet. The problem is that if we only have one goal-scorer, the other team's D will wise up to him (especially in the playoffs).
We score by grinding it out and capitalizing on mistakes. If we had a legitimate goal-scorer on one line, it takes pressure off his entire line opening up his linemates. It forces the other team to actually dedicate a defensive matchup towards a certain player. It gives our powerplay a focus other than a shot from the point and a prayer. It allows our net guys to do their job more effectively.

A goal scorer isn't a silver bullet. You are right. It is, however, the only thing this team lacks. We have a vezina candidate. We have two norris-trophy caliber defensemen. We have solid depth throughout the forward lines with several complimentary offensive players. We do not have a go-to-guy. I do not think it is necessary to have a goal-scorer to contend, but I do believe it would push us over the hump of contender, to favorite.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
The practical upshot of that, though, is that having a guy who draws attention like that opens up opportunities for your secondary scorers.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:06 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
The practical upshot of that, though, is that having a guy who draws attention like that opens up opportunities for your secondary scorers.
This. Agree that we need an elite level scorer to open up the ice for our grinders and a power play system that features shots and going for the rebound. When the Preds play their system they are hard to beat. Ask most of the Western conference coaches and they will tell you the same.

Last edited by darth5: 05-26-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: another typo
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Lets go back to the term "contender". We "contend" because we make the playoffs every year and this year evolved to the next level by having the best D-pairing in the league and the best goalie. We don't have the best offense but every team has trade-offs (except the Canucks). We're built right to be a consistent contender.

We played the Nucks better than the Sharks. Yes the sharks have better forwards but goal-scoring isn't the most important ingredient to winning. It's goaltending and team defense. Not only is our backline very good, but our forwards and some of the best two-way forwards in the league. So, we can win any game and any series because our strengths are in areas that rarely go into slumps. goal scoring is streaky, even for the best players or lines. Having Rads back or getting Carter would be better than where we are now, but only marginally.

We're a team nobody likes to play because we don't beat ourselves and we make others pay for their mistakes. Its our system that wins, and most of our players are good fits for our system.

We don't have to make one external move and we could win the Cup next year IF our young players evolve as Suter and Weber have. The 26 teams who ended their season before us are littered with scorers and names. Its fools gold. Predator Hockey with this evolving group and a settled, great goaltender, can win it all. I'll take Carter or Parise to make us even better, but we're dealing from strength.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:27 PM
RaiderDoug

I think we've pretty much reached our ceiling with the roster constructed as it presently stands.

Can we score 4 gpg like we did against Anahiem - maybe, if we can face Dan Ellis and a goaltender with concrete shoes in every series.

I didn't see the series with Vancouver as that close. Sure, we were scrappy, and tough and fought them to 6 games, but did anyone actually think we were going to win that series?

We do need a goal-scorer - ala Kesler, a guy who can make something happen when the chips are down. (or a guy who will at least shoot on the powerplay).

Can Wilson turn into that guy, doubt it - considering he can't even get on the ice. Lombardi - probably won't play. Radulov - yes, but i'll believe it when I see him in a Pred jersey.

I don't know if you can just count on the natural progression of our forwards - we've never developed a true scorer, I don't know why we can expect one to pop up next year.

We just don't lack offensive ability, we're probably one of the worst in the league at it. We can make the playoffs with defense and goaltending, but if we ever want to be a serious threat to win a cup (not just a scrappy, underdog team), we need to do something to bolster the offense.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
KevFist
is best pony

The Preds right now kinda remind me of the Mid-Late 90's New Jersey Devils.... winning by contribution.... Solid D, solid goaltending... All put together by a bunch of guys who believe in and buy into the system.

Old
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
The Preds right now kinda remind me of the Mid-Late 90's New Jersey Devils.... winning by contribution.... Solid D, solid goaltending... All put together by a bunch of guys who believe in and buy into the system.
Unfortunately, most of those Devils teams were known for playoff flame-outs.

And when they did win the cup in 99-00, they had a 35 goal scorer in Elias.

We don't need to turn into the Penguins, but we've got to get someone or develop someone who can score.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
weeze

Our offense never really got going because of injuries. Lombardi out after 1 game, Cal breaks leg, Sully played decent when healthy, Dumont... and the list goes on. Thank goodness for SK74! What about Erat and his big FAT contract? Leggy should take a paycut as well, I do like Leggy but not for that price.

I think our offense can be better with who we already have, saying that though, I would love to get a top 6 forward! Fisher was a great get, if Rads decides to come back that would also be HUGE! The young guns really stepped up and played outstanding. We have a load of really good young guys, hopefully one of them can become a goal scorer.

BUT, more importantly, the PP was our nail! Has been for the past several years. We fix that and we would be playing for the cup NOW!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Does Nashville need a 4th line enforcer/grinder? Cause I know one that deosn't want to move to Winnipeg....