HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V3.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 01:13 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
2011 Draft Talk V3.0

continue here.

Link to V2.0

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=898678

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 05-26-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added link
Old
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

If we don't draft a player above 6 foot I will be mad. There is a lot of size in this draft, guys like Mark McNeil and Joel Armia might not be available when we're on the clock but there are still guys like Boone Jenner, Niklas Jensen, Mark Scheifele, Tyler Biggs, Jonathan Miller, Brandon Saad and Rocco Grimaldi (just kidding). Seriously though....we need size on this club so we should continue to draft players in the mold.

Old
05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Maxpac

So who from St. John do we want this week?

Old
05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Protest the Hero

They've been drafting guys over 6' the last couple of drafts, except Gallagher and he put up 44 goals in the WHL this year.

We're not drafting a guy who steps in and makes a difference this year realistically at 17th. When they make their presence felt, Cammy and Gionta will be the last 1-2 year of their contract.

All of the guys I've seen people proposing have all had decent size though, except Grimaldi, so I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't look like we're going to get an amazing scorer where we're drafting, but I hope whoever we pick can put the puck in the net.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
If we don't draft a player above 6 foot I will be mad. There is a lot of size in this draft, guys like Mark McNeil and Joel Armia might not be available when we're on the clock but there are still guys like Boone Jenner, Niklas Jensen, Mark Scheifele, Tyler Biggs, Jonathan Miller, Brandon Saad and Rocco Grimaldi (just kidding). Seriously though....we need size on this club so we should continue to draft players in the mold.
At the same time do you want to pass up another Giroux for another Fischer?

I know that all small players are not necessarily more skilled than all big players, but as much as I'd like a bit more size in the top 6 down the road, at the end of the day it's skill first and foremost that wins games.

For all the talk of the big bad Bruins, Cammalleri put up 10 points on them in 7 games...last night St.Louis had a huge part in beating them.

When all is said and done we need 3-4 bigger guys out of this draft, ideally in round 1 we get a 6'2"(or bigger) skill player...but I won't be disapointed if we get Grimaldi or Rattie.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
How tall someone is means nothing.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How tall someone is means nothing.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight,it's the size of fight in the dog.Gionta,Desharnais and Dumont are prime examples.Even though Gionta never played for the Dogs, he is our Captain.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:49 PM
ScopeHockey

Size does matter, to the extent that it contributes to REAL attributes like reach and strength.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:04 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Size does matter, to the extent that it contributes to REAL attributes like reach and strength.
As does the speed to use the reach and strength,and ability.Look at Chara he had to guide Pacioretty into the stanchion illegally otherwise he had a possible breakaway.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Matteus

Catenacci

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's not the size of the dog in the fight,it's the size of fight in the dog.Gionta,Desharnais and Dumont are prime examples.Even though Gionta never played for the Dogs, he is our Captain.
Speaking of the "fight in the dog" in smaller players, I'm surprised not to find anything about Daniel Catenacci in this thread.
The THN Draft Preview is all about his ability to make plays at high speed and how he's maybe the fastest player in the draft.
It's also mentionned that he's very abrasive and "has a high level of grit".
Has anyone seen this guy play?
I'd be curious to hear from someone who's seen him first hand.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
As does the speed to use the reach and strength,and ability.Look at Chara he had to guide Pacioretty into the stanchion illegally otherwise he had a possible breakaway.
Exactly. What you're saying is essentially the same thing as me: size does not necessarily translate directly to real strength and reach (but to the extent it does, it's an asset).

Old
05-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
So if we draft Crosby 2.0, you'd be mad?

Old
05-26-2011, 01:45 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus View Post
Speaking of the "fight in the dog" in smaller players, I'm surprised not to find anything about Daniel Catenacci in this thread.
The THN Draft Preview is all about his ability to make plays at high speed and how he's maybe the fastest player in the draft.
It's also mentionned that he's very abrasive and "has a high level of grit".
Has anyone seen this guy play?
I'd be curious to hear from someone who's seen him first hand.
I think because he should likely go in the second round, he isn't mentioned really, but his speed is SICK. And he seems to handle the puck at high speeds with ease.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Height has nothing to do with strength.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Height has nothing to do with strength.
It certainly does in terms of leverage.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It certainly does in terms of leverage.
Not really, you could be taller but a bean poll, that leverage won't do you much good then.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Not really, you could be taller but a bean poll, that leverage won't do you much good then.
Without turning this into a physics lecture, even if you're a bean pole, pushing down at an opponent's centre of gravity from a higher centre of gravity requires less strength than the reverse. You start off at the advantage, and it's just a matter of how much difference in strength exists from there.

Old
05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Without turning this into a physics lecture, even if you're a bean pole, pushing down at an opponent's centre of gravity from a higher centre of gravity requires less strength than the reverse. You start off at the advantage, and it's just a matter of how much difference in strength exists from there.
How do you explain Pouliot spending half the season on his butt?

Old
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How do you explain Pouliot spending half the season on his butt?
he's weak as hell

Old
05-26-2011, 05:57 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

I'm hoping for one of Mark McNeill or Mark Schiefele. This team needs some Canadian talent. Otherwise, if those two are not available, the next choices are obviously Zibanejad, Phillips, Puempel, Armia, Jurco and only if all those players are drafted Grimaldi. I want us to get a player north of 6 feet, however, we are in need of young offensive players. Kind of sick of us drafting, 3rd-4th liners and defensive defenseman in the first round. I almost want us to finish last to have the chance to draft a marquee player.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
I'm hoping for one of Mark McNeill or Mark Schiefele. This team needs some Canadian talent. Otherwise, if those two are not available, the next choices are obviously Zibanejad, Phillips, Puempel, Armia, Jurco and only if all those players are drafted Grimaldi. I want us to get a player north of 6 feet, however, we are in need of young offensive players. Kind of sick of us drafting, 3rd-4th liners and defensive defenseman in the first round. I almost want us to finish last to have the chance to draft a marquee player.
If the management starts picking the BPA from one country every 1st pick at 17th or 27th the team will be in trouble really quickly.Most Habs fans are from Canada and pull for Team Canada but,the need for the best team possible is to draft the player that is BPA World.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Protest the Hero

Where is this myth that we draft small players coming from?

I don't want a team full of tiny guys either but the guy we draft this year won't make the team for another 3-4 years likely, unless we move up to the top 10.

Anways, if you look at mock drafts and rankings it looks like most guys 15-30 are north of 6'.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

Quote:
If the management starts picking the BPA from one country every 1st pick at 17th or 27th the team will be in trouble really quickly.Most Habs fans are from Canada and pull for Team Canada but,the need for the best team possible is to draft the player that is BPA World.
I agree. However, if you look at our nucleus, Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez, Gionta, Kostitsyn, Eller, Pacioretty, Markov, Wiz, Subban, Leblanc, Gorges, Emelin, Desharnais.

Of those players, 5/15 are Canadian, 3/15 are from the "English" part of Canada which makes up the most significant portion of the NHL. Traditionally, teams with the largest contingent of anglo-Canadian tend to do well in the playoffs. This is not meant to be racist, or anti European or anti-French. I love French players and European players. I just think anglo-Canada is underrepresented big time on the Habs and there could be a correllation between that and our lack of toughness.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:44 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Where is this myth that we draft small players coming from?

I don't want a team full of tiny guys either but the guy we draft this year won't make the team for another 3-4 years likely, unless we move up to the top 10.

Anways, if you look at mock drafts and rankings it looks like most guys 15-30 are north of 6'.
What Myth Tinordi is a puny 6'7 212lbs,Pierre Gauthier's 1st draft pick as GM. and Gillis is still fuming in Vancouver.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:58 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
What Myth Tinordi is a puny 6'7 212lbs,Pierre Gauthier's 1st draft pick as GM. and Gillis is still fuming in Vancouver.
We have people here fuming that they picked Tinordi.

Closed Thread