HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan Begins Preliminary Contract Talks

Old
05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
pwoz

vCash: 500
$25m over 6 years.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Garfinkel1

I love Cally. I mean, who doesn't.... But giving him 5 or more years is just a bad decision. He's wreckless and that is what we love about him. He gives it everything he has in every scenario regardless of safety.

Having said that, I would give him a 4 year deal.

=3.3 Cap hit.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I love Cally. I mean, who doesn't.... But giving him 5 or more years is just a bad decision. He's wreckless and that is what we love about him. He gives it everything he has in every scenario regardless of safety.

Having said that, I would give him a 4 year deal.

=3.3 Cap hit.
He is not going to accept a back-loaded deal. You give players a front-loaded deal to help the cap. Players like them, because it gets them money up front which they can invest to earn more. Have any of you people ever heard of the Time Value of Money?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
He is not going to accept a back-loaded deal. You give players a front-loaded deal to help the cap. Players like them, because it gets them money up front which they can invest to earn more. Have any of you people ever heard of the Time Value of Money?
No, given his age, it will almost certainly be backloaded. Pretty much the standard is that RFA contracts are backloaded and UFA contracts are frontloaded. There are some exceptions of course (Gaborik), but for the most part, that's the way it works.

As an arbitration eligible RFA, Callahan can't command as much money as he could as a UFA, so he will get less money next year (RFA year) than he will the year after (UFA year).

Front loading or back loading doesn't affect the cap hit either way. If the overall money and length are the same, the cap hit will be the same regardless of how it's structured (unless the contract takes him past age 40, but no chance of that).

Front loading has the advantage of making the player easier to move to cash-poor teams late in the contract (Rozsival), or making it easier for him to retire with less money to walk away from (Naslund). Back loading has the advantage of making the buyout more palatable (Rostislav Olesz).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I can't imagine him having a cap hit lower than $4MM. I think you guys proposing numbers in the low-3s are being pretty unrealistic.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Back loading has the advantage of making the buyout more palatable (Rostislav Olesz).
How does that work again? I thought if you were buying a player out, you would want less money owed at the end of the contract, no?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

@ NYR2K2 I think that depends on the length of the deal. I could see 6 Years, 21M being fair for both sides.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The big money usually comes into play in the years he would be an UFA otherwise, that's the difference. It's backloaded I guess by default.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
mullichicken25

i dont think you can discount importance to a the team, and cally is more imporant than his point total

the team is 100% different when he's in the lineup

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How does that work again? I thought if you were buying a player out, you would want less money owed at the end of the contract, no?
The buyout cap hit is adjusted for each year based on the actual money owed for that year. If the money owed is less than the original cap hit, the buyout cap will be adjusted upward. If the money owed is greater, the buyout cap hit will be adjusted downward.

Drury has a 7.05 mil cap hit with 5 mil in actual money left.

His buyout amount is 3.33 mil (2/3rds because he is 26 or older).

Spread over 2 years, that would give you cap hits of $1,666,667 each year.

But, because he's making 2.05 less than his cap hit next year, his buyout cap hit goes up to $3,716,667. In year 2 there is no salary to adjust against, so no adjustment is done.

Rostislav Olesz is exactly the opposite. He has 3 years left, but all 3 years include salaries that are higher than his cap hit. If he were to be bought out this year, he'd actually have a negative cap hit in years 2 and 3.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'd be shocked if his cap hit is below 4.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i think callahan is going to get $4mil and thats what he should get. no need to inflate salaries. dubinsky should get right around $3.25 at most in my opinion

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'd be shocked if his cap hit is below 4.
i thought mark staal was going to get offer sheets and at least a $5million cap hit. that didnt happen, but $4mil is fair IMO

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:27 PM
mcsauer2738

I'm in the minority that thinks Dubi should be captain. He just has that captain swag

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:28 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I'm in the minority that thinks Dubi should be captain. He just has that captain swag
Swagger, you mean. Swag is an ornamental festoon of flowers.

And I agree, somewhat. I wouldn't be disappointed with either as captain.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
No not alone, there is a thread I started during the season. It was a poll and I also gave my reasons as to why I'd like Dubinsky as Captain.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:32 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Swagger, you mean. Swag is an ornamental festoon of flowers.

And I agree, somewhat. I wouldn't be disappointed with either as captain.
swagger is so 90's. get with it

Old
05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
No not alone, there is a thread I started during the season. It was a poll and I also gave my reasons as to why I'd like Dubinsky as Captain.
Yeah, seriously though. Dubi has that captain swag about him. By that I mean, he never takes **** from anyone, always pushes back, and always stands up for his teammates when necessary. Not to mention the guy can play the game a little bit

Old
05-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
I would be elated with either of them being captain.

Dubi is the rare kind of player that thrives, not wilts, under the NYC spotlight. He has done everything that we could possibly want from him. He scores goals, is a beast on the puck, PKs, blocks shots, will fight, and rarely takes selfish or stupid penalties. He's definitely captain material, but I think Callahan is just a different breed.

Callahan, while not as skilled as Dubi, just has an insane motor. He's absolutely relentless on the puck, hits anything that moves, is our best PKer, and fearless around the netmouth. If he didn't have hands of stone, he would be an insane player given his work ethic and drive.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

Dubi is the rare kind of player that thrives, not wilts, under the NYC spotlight. He has done everything that we could possibly want from him. He scores goals, is a beast on the puck, PKs, blocks shots, will fight, and rarely takes selfish or stupid penalties. He's definitely captain material, but I think Callahan is just a different breed.

Callahan, while not as skilled as Dubi, just has an insane motor. He's absolutely relentless on the puck, hits anything that moves, is our best PKer, and fearless around the netmouth. If he didn't have hands of stone, he would be an insane player given his work ethic and drive.
saying cally has hands of stones is a bit harsh. He showed much improved hands this year.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I thought Cally would've shedded his hands of stone moniker this year due to his terrific play. Guess not.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
skroob**

I'm also in the Dubi for C camp.

I hate to go there, but Dubi is in the Messier mold (take the team to heart, speaks up, etc) and Cally is more of the Leetch type (lead by on-ice example).

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The buyout cap hit is adjusted for each year based on the actual money owed for that year. If the money owed is less than the original cap hit, the buyout cap will be adjusted upward. If the money owed is greater, the buyout cap hit will be adjusted downward.

Drury has a 7.05 mil cap hit with 5 mil in actual money left.

His buyout amount is 3.33 mil (2/3rds because he is 26 or older).

Spread over 2 years, that would give you cap hits of $1,666,667 each year.

But, because he's making 2.05 less than his cap hit next year, his buyout cap hit goes up to $3,716,667. In year 2 there is no salary to adjust against, so no adjustment is done.

Rostislav Olesz is exactly the opposite. He has 3 years left, but all 3 years include salaries that are higher than his cap hit. If he were to be bought out this year, he'd actually have a negative cap hit in years 2 and 3.
Thanks for the detailed explanation... Which subsequently hurt my brain to think about this late in the work day!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

i agree with everything, but not the bold part. players like Christensen, and Avery had hands of stone this year... Callahan has decent hands, not great but good enough to make plays and not cause turnovers.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:40 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I thought Cally would've shedded his hands of stone moniker this year due to his terrific play. Guess not.
Having hands of stone doesn't make him a bad player. It just limits what he can do.

I wish we could surgically transfer Wolski's hands to Callahan. He'd be a right-handed (or would he become left handed) version of Parise.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote