HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
If you don't trade Semin and he walks, giving the Caps nothing for compensation, is that a win for the Caps?
In my opinion, the only reason to trade Semin to prevent him from walking away for nothing is if you actually believe he'll walk at the end of his contract. With his BFF Ovechkin here and the situation he has built himself, I find it hard to believe he'll leave unless McPhee really lowballs him.

If he does walk, they can always spend his $6.7M on other players.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
why doesnt bradley get more icetime? Hes had some big goals for us and mixes it up quite well.
The reason Bradley doesn't get more ice time is because he's not that good. Your two points are related - he is able to score big goals because he mixes it up well and is willing to work to get to the spots on the ice where he can score.

Also keep in mind that getting Bradley more ice time would mean one of two things:
1) Being on the penalty kill more
2) The other fourth liners also get more ice time, unless you want to put Bradley in with one of the scoring lines
And who would they take the ice time away from in order to give it to Bradley? There are only 300 man-minutes of ice time per game to go around.

I like Bradley as a player because I think he fits very well into his role, and we don't ask him to do too much. If he got more minutes, that would come with an increased expectation, which might just push him out of the role he's so good at.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
So that's our compensation for letting one of the top offensive talents in the league walk? Cap space?

What a blunder it would be if McPhee lets that happen. We already know they won't go out an reinvest that money in an impact FA to fill the gap. Where's the plus side? More youth?

Old
05-26-2011, 07:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
How do you know that?
It was a question.....didn't that register?

Old
05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
So that's our compensation for letting one of the top offensive talents in the league walk? Cap space?

What a blunder it would be if McPhee lets that happen. We already know they won't go out an reinvest that money in an impact FA to fill the gap. Where's the plus side? More youth?
We don't actually know that they won't go out and reinvest that money in an impact FA to fill the gap.
We also don't actually know that it'll even be McPhee running the show at the time, as long as we're dealing in hypotheticals.
In either case, you're mostly right - it's not the cap space that's the compensation, but the player(s) you get for that cap space.

Unrelatedly, but this made me wonder... how many holes could the Caps fill with $6.7M? They'd lose a huge hole, but...

Old
05-26-2011, 07:21 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Unrelatedly, but this made me wonder... how many holes could the Caps fill with $6.7M? They'd lose a huge hole, but...
Ignore that. It'd just re-open the "Is Semin worth pieces?" discussion, and I think that's pretty played out (for the record, I don't think pieces would be enough, unless it was a LOT of pieces).

Old
05-26-2011, 07:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
We don't actually know that they won't go out and reinvest that money in an impact FA to fill the gap.
We also don't actually know that it'll even be McPhee running the show at the time, as long as we're dealing in hypotheticals.
In either case, you're mostly right - it's not the cap space that's the compensation, but the player(s) you get for that cap space.

Pretty much we do. We've been through several offseasons with tons of cap space and we get Poti (excellent at the time) and Knuble.....both bargains, but limited impact.

The Caps have said that they won't play in the high $$ UFA market....what else is there to say?

Old
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Pretty much we do. We've been through several offseasons with tons of cap space and we get Poti (excellent at the time) and Knuble.....both bargains, but limited impact.

The Caps have said that they won't play in the high $$ UFA market....what else is there to say?
A team's willingness to play in the high $$ UFA market changes as the needs of the team change. Filling as big of a hole as Semin would leave would pretty much make this mandatory.

I think we agree that Semin would be very difficult to replace. In reality, I'm sure McPhee will know well in advance if Semin doesn't plan to sign another deal. I hope he's not dumb enough to let him walk if that's the case.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:46 PM
DrPP

Quote:
A team's willingness to play in the high $$ UFA market changes as the needs of the team change. Filling as big of a hole as Semin would leave would pretty much make this mandatory.

I think we agree that Semin would be very difficult to replace. In reality, I'm sure McPhee will know well in advance if Semin doesn't plan to sign another deal. I hope he's not dumb enough to let him walk if that's the case.
Use the money for a defensemen and let Kuznetsov replace him? Is Weber available?

Old
05-26-2011, 07:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Use the money for a defensemen and let Kuznetsov replace him? Is Weber available?
Kuznetsov is nowhere near what Semin is right now. He might become what Semin is, but right now there are only a few guys who could replace Semin, and none of them are in the KHL.

Sadly, I don't think Weber will ever be available. The Caps have a lot of money tied up in D as it is, so if they were to go spend big money on a defenseman, some of the current D would have to go (or they could just play with no 2nd line).

However, as CapitalsCup2012 says, I don't think they'll be a contender for any high-priced free agents. Ovechkin is the big price tag on this team, and his contract isn't going anywhere.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Capitlols

Quote:

From a goal scoring standpoint, nothing else.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Not even. Get Ovechkin back to 55 and get Backstrom back to 30 and Semin's offense is replaced.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
1) Having a player of his talent level on the ice (especially on the second line) makes a team plan and play differently. Even if he's having one of his "games", he opens up space for the other people on his line just by being there (if they ever get the cycle established, which is a whole other thread...)

2) Goals are important

3) While Semin may not be better (or even as good as) defensively than some 1/2 wingers, it is not easy to find a similar winger who's available. Closest one I can think of is Phil Kessel, and I'd rather have Semin.

Coincidentally... I wonder how much of Semin's "lack of effort" malaise is because he has first line talent but plays on the second line? He's always been streaky, but I don't remember him being quite so lazy when he was on the Ovechkin-Backstrom line.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Not even. Get Ovechkin back to 55 and get Backstrom back to 30 and Semin's offense is replaced.
Semin was still getting his when Ovechkin and Backstrom were scoring that many. I'm not willing to replace one player's scoring with goals that we already had before.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
1) Having a player of his talent level on the ice (especially on the second line) makes a team plan and play differently. Even if he's having one of his "games", he opens up space for the other people on his line just by being there (if they ever get the cycle established, which is a whole other thread...)

2) Goals are important

3) While Semin may not be better (or even as good as) defensively than some 1/2 wingers, it is not easy to find a similar winger who's available. Closest one I can think of is Phil Kessel, and I'd rather have Semin.

Coincidentally... I wonder how much of Semin's "lack of effort" malaise is because he has first line talent but plays on the second line? He's always been streaky, but I don't remember him being quite so lazy when he was on the Ovechkin-Backstrom line.
1) Have you've seen Semin? When he's not on a line with OV or Backstrom he's prone to be a selfish, do it all by myself player.

2) Goals are certainly important, but Semin is very streaky. He'll have his fair share of stretches when he doesn't provide goals, consequently providing nothing else.

3) Semin's defense is so overrated. He'll back-check when he turned it over, he doesn't do it out of habit. PK wise he's decent, but he gets too cute on the pk. Very unreliable to run out for an important kill.

My thoughts on Semin have been hashed here. I wouldn't mind trading him or keeping him. Just make a decision on him, enough with these 1-year, get my value up contracts.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Semin was still getting his when Ovechkin and Backstrom were scoring that many. I'm not willing to replace one player's scoring with goals that we already had before.
It doesn't matter if Semin is scoring when everyone else is. If we can get to 246 GF without him, then we should be fine and have $6.7 million to burn. I think that's a pretty realistic goal.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
1) Have you've seen Semin? When he's not on a line with OV or Backstrom he's prone to be a selfish, do it all by myself player.
I meant the other team here, not the Caps. People play differently when they know someone good is on the ice against them.

Quote:
My thoughts on Semin have been hashed here. I wouldn't mind trading him or keeping him. Just make a decision on him, enough with these 1-year, get my value up contracts.
I'll disagree. I think the Caps have too much invested in him (a lot of pride as well as money, perhaps) to let him go for what they'd get for him. Either way, there's a reason he got a one-year extension. At 27, this season will decide his future here (if he's around to play it).

Old
05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Semin is scoring when everyone else is. If we can get to 246 GF without him, then we should be fine and have $6.7 million to burn. I think that's a pretty realistic goal.
In the regular season, sure. With or without him the big task if they're going to be a contender is having a functional second line with established chemistry. I question Boudreau's ability to maximize offensive chemistry in a system that isn't overly aggressive or risk-taking in nature (and even then it wasn't tremendous).

So, yeah, off-season. Woo.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

What a ****** UFA crop. God dang.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Robert Theodorson

Semin is probably the best 2nd line scoring threat

The problem is he's about the 30th best come playoff time

The Caps will make the playoffs without him, 6.7M is a lot of money that could be put towards a big defensemen or many veterans with proven playoff resumes

Old
05-26-2011, 09:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
All right, I'll play ball. Now let's find those 246 goals.

55 Ovechkin
30 Backstrom
25 Knuble
20 Laich (assuming he stays)
?? Mystery Second Line Player
20 Johansson
45 3rd liners combined
30 4th liners combined

I think that's pretty fair, and that comes out to 225 plus the Mystery Second Line Player. So if 246 GF is the target, then they can safely replace Semin with a 21 goal scorer. The Caps had 219 goals this year, with a terrible power play (I blame it on the switch from Pepco to Constellation), so 246 should be within reach if all they do is fix the power play (79 power play goals in 2009-2010, 46 in 2010-2011).

246 is attainable, and all without giving up the "defensive style" that the Caps adopted. That puts them in the top 5 in the league in both goals for and goals against. So I guess the only question is who to plug in as the Mystery Second Line Player. If they're looking to boost the power play, they could do a lot worse than Semin, and not much better. Value is a whole other boat.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
All right, I'll play ball. Now let's find those 246 goals.

55 Ovechkin
30 Backstrom
25 Knuble
20 Laich (assuming he stays)
?? Mystery Second Line Player
20 Johansson
45 3rd liners combined
30 4th liners combined

I think that's pretty fair, and that comes out to 225 plus the Mystery Second Line Player. So if 246 GF is the target, then they can safely replace Semin with a 21 goal scorer. The Caps had 219 goals this year, with a terrible power play (I blame it on the switch from Pepco to Constellation), so 246 should be within reach if all they do is fix the power play (79 power play goals in 2009-2010, 46 in 2010-2011).

246 is attainable, and all without giving up the "defensive style" that the Caps adopted. That puts them in the top 5 in the league in both goals for and goals against. So I guess the only question is who to plug in as the Mystery Second Line Player. If they're looking to boost the power play, they could do a lot worse than Semin, and not much better. Value is a whole other boat.
You're being overly generous to the bottom 6 and ignoring the D. Green, Wideman, Carlson should be good for 40 if they're not underachieving.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
You're being overly generous to the bottom 6 and ignoring the D.
Ah crap. Nonetheless, the point is the same - it should be doable.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
In the regular season, sure. With or without him the big task if they're going to be a contender is having a functional second line with established chemistry. I question Boudreau's ability to maximize offensive chemistry in a system that isn't overly aggressive or risk-taking in nature (and even then it wasn't tremendous).

So, yeah, off-season. Woo.
Probably the main reason I think we need to somehow acquire a 1B center to be the linchpin of the second line. A Mike Richards type.

The first line will always be fine with Ovechkin/Backstrom. I have faith in McPhee to provide a nice mix of bottom 6 players. Alzner/Carlson are a miracle and have, at the very least, brought respectability to a defense that sucked for over a decade. And I'm not worried about goalies. It's the second line that needs attention.

Who that mystery center is or where we get him, I don't know, but I think it could fix the team in a hurry. Alfie? Marleau (NMC and gonna be expensive)? Brassard (Is Columbus really that stupid?)?

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 05-26-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
DCRedhawk21

The Caps probably could do a lot with 6.7 million in free agency, but how aggressive would they be, even with that extra money?
If I could shift the conversation for a second, here is the tentative team make-up next year BEFORE resigning any players, signing any free agents, or calling up any new players:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Fehr - MoJo - Semin
Chimera - ?? - ??
Hendricks - ?? - ??

Alzner - Carlson
Schultz - Green
Erskine - Wideman

Nuevy
Holtby

- That's quite a few forward spots that need to be filled, and the Caps have roughly 12 million to fill it, assuming the cap rises to ~ 62 million.
- This roster is banking on Fehr being healthy and Knuble continuing to produce at age 39.
- The D isn't particularly strong IMO. I think Schultz is better served on a bottom pairing role.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the bottom 6 forwards...

Closed Thread